Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Is miniLED expected to be huge advantage? Like more colors? Or “only” deeper blacks? What about higher brightness?
It's going to be used on iPad Pro as well as Mac, so hopefully it might also bring ProMotion (high refresh rates). Other than that it's to get LCD closer to a true HDR experience. Hopefully it will fix the poor response times on the current 16" as well (nothing to do with the tech itself, just change in panel supplier).

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I'll wait and either get a MBA 2020 or base 13/14" MBP
as a stopgap until the 16" comes with miniLED

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
If the new iPhone SE is released today, we may get some other news too.
Now that Jon Prosser's credibility increased with his spot-on iPhone SE rumors & release date, we can now conclude his information is correct that a smaller MacBook Pro will be announced next month. Whether an ARM version is announced at WWDC June remains to be seen (the way he spoke about it on that podcast sounded a little muddy to me).

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I agree putting that chip in would make a good thing better. But one thing to consider - do we know what's going to happen with Tiger Lake? It could retake the lead when they get 10nm H series CPUs out, then will we ping pong back to wanting Intel again?
We do not know. I brought up the Tiger Lake H rumors, so I want to temper expectations. It's very possible the leaks about Tiger Lake H are fake (Intel has not announced a 45W Tiger Lake part).

It's also possible (maybe likely) that Intel is trying to bring Tiger Lake H to market, but is not able to get yield high enough to support a high-volume customer like Apple. Yield on 10nm is already bad, and increasing the die size to accommodate four more cores means increasing the likelihood there will be fatal defect somewhere on the die.

And it's possible (probably likely) that if Tiger Lake H is real it's coming 2021. This would probably pit it against a Zen 2 x RDNA 2 APU. I sort of expect there would be no clear winner between Tiger Lake H and Zen 2 x RDNA 2. Intel would have better single core performance, AMD would have better internal graphics, and all-core performance is anyone's game.

Now that Jon Prosser's credibility increased with his spot-on iPhone SE rumors & release date, we can now conclude his information is correct that a smaller MacBook Pro will be announced next month. Whether an ARM version is announced at WWDC June remains to be seen (the way he spoke about it on that podcast sounded a little muddy to me).
Probably with the processor options rogame leaked earlier. Going to repost it because I think it adds even more credibility to an imminent MBP13/14 launch.

Really hope the 1068 G7 is real and exists.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 3.23.11 PM.png

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I can’t see an ARM version coming that soon - there’s not even an ARM devkit as things stand is there?

I still think we’ll get a 14” version of the 16” MBP. With ARM, mini-LED and a full redesign rumoured for next year, they’re not going to do anything else just now surely?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I can’t see an ARM version coming that soon - there’s not even an ARM devkit as things stand is there?

I still think we’ll get a 14” version of the 16” MBP. With ARM, mini-LED and a full redesign rumoured for next year, they’re not going to do anything else just now surely?
I’m the same I think 14” redesign with bigger battery, better thermals, magic keyboard etc and Ice Lake in May. However I think they’ll announce some form of ARM notebook as proof of concept at WWDC with a late 2020 or early 2021 release. Then I think with an ARMkit type thing being announced at WWDC they’ll swap the lineup in 2021/22 to ARM with Mini-Led and a possible chassis redesign

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
The only thing I wish for the new release is an option to choose nTB model. It's kind of insult from Apple to those professionals who really rely on function keys. I would happily pay extra money just to get Macbook without Touchbar.

Imho, the new Air keyboard is what I want, but the terrible thermal design and small screen stop me from buying MBA.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The only thing I wish for the new release is an option to choose nTB model. It's kind of insult from Apple to those professionals who really rely on function keys. I would happily pay extra money just to get Macbook without Touchbar.

Imho, the new Air keyboard is what I want, but the terrible thermal design and small screen stop me from buying MBA.
Yes. Honestly the only thing keeping the 16” from being as close to perfect for me is this touchbar. I just have it locked to the standard Fn/controller keys and tapping to increase volume/brightness is just awful. I really hope they remove it going forward. Or at least give us a BTO option to get it without one

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’ve not owned a MacBook with a Touch Bar yet but it does seem to be a cosmetic feature that looks cool but if found to be annoying by many professionals. Would increased app support improv this?

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Can someone shed some light on why the TouchBar is annoying ? Apologies I'm still on a 2010 13' MBP.

MDalprato

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2016
Faenza, Italy
I'm here with my mbp 15" 2014 waiting for a new one.
Will wait for the end of the year, hoping for a new release (This year is sooo strange).
My Mac is perfect but I need a few more juice for FCP and Xcode ... and my girlfriend is waiting for my Mac :)

unsui_grep

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2019
Can someone shed some light on why the TouchBar is annoying ? Apologies I'm still on a 2010 13' MBP.
I have the 16inch MacBook Pro. Really don't like the Touch Bar. I find myself accidentally hitting it frequently while typing usually unintentionally moving the cursor, though I have pretty average typing skills. There are work arounds but it's pretty sensitive. Mainly, I find it distracting and ugly. I love the Touch ID and am happy the escape key is back, but I'm still not of fan of the TB. New keyboard is great, though. Otherwise, I'm happy with the MBP but will jump on an Arm MacBook/iMac combo as soon as they are viable.

Reactions: uer23

ozzieman10

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
During the interview Jon Prosser literally said the refresh 13” was originally planned to release this month but have been postponed to May (if everything goes well). Hopefully we don’t have to wait until end of May.

yes let’s hope not!

dfoxinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
It's pretty much a feature that's just there and provides 0 additional actual utility over a normal set of function keys. I've been using MacBook Pros with the touchbar since they came out, and the company I work for has too for all of the employees, and I can genuinely say in talking with hundreds of people over the years (software engineers, designers, analysts, etc.) I've yet to find a single one who actually found the touchbar useful. Kind of amazing really - you'd think there'd be at least some outliers!

Is it a showstopper? No. I'd rather have the newest/most powerful laptop and I can deal with having the touchbar. But is it nearly universally disliked and just there so Apple doesn't have to kill something they went all-in on for some ridiculous reason? Absolutely.

Reactions: c0ppo

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I’ve not owned a MacBook with a Touch Bar yet but it does seem to be a cosmetic feature that looks cool but if found to be annoying by many professionals. Would increased app support improv this?
Yes, there was room for improvement and increased support... in principle.

Reality is, the TB has been there for how long, 3.5 years now? Ample time for Apple to improve its design and roll it out to other products if they really thought it was a good idea. Ample time for app developers to add more tools and make it more useful. But nothing of the sort happened. No one picked up on the idea, and the only thing Apple was able to do was to separate the ESC key from it (a sane decision).

So what now? Few are actually crazy about it, Apple included apparently, but it's not a dealbreaker (yes, several people are annoyed by its presence, but still end up buying their MBP) and they'd see a complete removal as an admission of failure. So they're just leaving it there to rot.

Random_uninteresting_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020

It's basically gadget candy designed to lure people in with its shining lights. The trouble is it is far from as well-supported by delevopers as it could be, it lacks the tactile feel of buttons, and really it's just another thing that can easily break and is quite expensive to replace (especially compared to regular buttons).

What I mean is, that it's something that probably appeals more to a casual user because it's a shiny, new(-ish) gadget that looks cool than to a power user who just wants something solid and dependable.

Reactions: Abaganov

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019

The main problem of the touchbar is "touch". I believe there won't be an issue if the user had to "press" it instead of touching. It is so sensitive that even the slightest movement of fingers triggers some action.
And another problem is that some actions will continue to trigger without any tactile feedback as long as your finger is touching the bar.

Reactions: c0ppo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.