Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Apple tends to be several months behind when it comes to putting in intel chips so the 13/14” refresh will be ice lake with comet lake for the 16” most likely if they refresh it. Tiger Lake looks promising but from the ARM rumours Ice/Comet Lake could be the last MacBooks with Intel chips as if Apple announces the ARM transition at WWDC this year it may only be 18 months before most of the lineup maybe excluding Mac Pro is converted over to ARM

Reactions: Falhófnir

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
is it support issue or demand issue?
Unsure I’m just going off the rogame leak. I’d struggle to see them having a 64gb option when the last generation only supported 16. I think best case scenario we get 16GB standard with BTO up to 32GB. However I’m still not convinced they’ll bite the bullet and give 16GB as standard

Birkan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Germany
Is wifi 6 a big deal though? Seems like something worth upgrading for depending on where your router is setup in home.
[automerge]1587255843[/automerge]
I am going to get rid of my mbp 2015 15' with amd graphics and just purchase a temporary laptop while we wait. Thinking of grabbing a cheap thinkpad or something. Any suggestions?
One of the nice features of WiFi 6 is much improved MU-MIMO support which is something that exists in WiFi 5 Wave 2 standard with limited features. So your router will be able to connect to multiple devices at the same time with MIMO and be able to do downlink/uplink to 8 users at the same time where as WiFi 5 Wave 2 can only do four user downlink and one user uplink. Base WiFi 5 or WiFi 5 Wave 1 only supports single user MIMO. If you have WiFi 5 Wave 2 router like I do, it will bring incremental improvements but improvements nonetheless. Also a bit faster speeds, WPA3 support, 20 Mhz channels etc.

Reactions: motime

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Is wifi 6 a big deal though? Seems like something worth upgrading for depending on where your router is setup in home.
I am going to get rid of my mbp 2015 15' with amd graphics and just purchase a temporary laptop while we wait. Thinking of grabbing a cheap thinkpad or something. Any suggestions?

Not really, no.
Unsure I’m just going off the rogame leak. I’d struggle to see them having a 64gb option when the last generation only supported 16. I think best case scenario we get 16GB standard with BTO up to 32GB. However I’m still not convinced they’ll bite the bullet and give 16GB as standard

Since the 13/14 uses lpddr4 (lp standing for low power) it will be limited to 16 most likely. Seems like the controllers used for lpddr4 don’t support 32gb in the quad 8gb chip setup at this moment.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
That’s exactly what I did , just got a cheap Thinkpad t450s to fill the gap till the 14” MBP is out
[automerge]1587299396[/automerge]
I highly doubt Apple will go with 512/16 for default config. They want to sell user upgrades, and when you config your MBP on their store, you get really close to MBP 16, so then you are wondering why not just get the MBP 16. Basically, it's an up sell game. They have being doing that for decades, no reason to stop now.

100% , base will be 8/256/i5 and top 8/512/i7 just like the air

Reactions: Chompineer

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
With all this work from home stuff I just returned my 16 and will just wait until September or so to buy.

I have an 8th gen NUC at home I’ll use to do anything my iPad can’t for now.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Not really, no.

Since the 13/14 uses lpddr4 (lp standing for low power) it will be limited to 16 most likely. Seems like the controllers used for lpddr4 don’t support 32gb in the quad 8gb chip setup at this moment.
From the leak which was a MacBook Pro with Ice Lake I’d say there’s a 90% chance they’ll have a 32gb option but a similar chance of there not being a 64gb option

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
He’s been very reliable with some things in the last couple of weeks, but he’s clearly hedging his bets on the MBP. Which makes sense as we’ve heard Q2 from a few places.

Common sense would suggest a spec-bump for the 16” MBP, but that’s not something worthy of a WWDC announcement I’d suggest.

Who knows what WWDC will look like now - I guess we’re not sure how much the pandemic has made Apple change their 2020 plans.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Just give us the 14" MBP already Apple so we can be disappointed. I am expecting the base model to be i5 quad core, 8GB ram, and 256GB starting at $1,499. I want 16GB so I am sure I will be looking at $1,699 or even $1,799. As long as it has the new thin bezel screen and the newer keyboard I will be happy. 4 usb-c ports would be killer but I highly doubt we'll get more than two.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Just give us the 14" MBP already Apple so we can be disappointed. I am expecting the base model to be i5 quad core, 8GB ram, and 256GB starting at $1,499. I want 16GB so I am sure I will be looking at $1,699 or even $1,799. As long as it has the new thin bezel screen and the newer keyboard I will be happy. 4 usb-c ports would be killer but I highly doubt we'll get more than two.

I guess there‘s two ways Apple might approach it.

They either keep the lineup as it is - so effectively all the pricing and models stay largely the same as they are today, expect base storage doubles.

Or the two-port model gets dropped from the lineup.... Possibly because they might think the upgraded Air could take its place for some users? Which I can kind of see the logic behind, but I’m aware of the thermal limitations.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
From what the lwq guy says it’ll be a 13” next month with Q 3 or 4 for the 14.1”. I’d imagine that’d be with mini led. Such a shame as I’d have hoped to have gotten even a regular lcd display with the increase to 14”

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
From what the lwq guy says it’ll be a 13” next month with Q 3 or 4 for the 14.1”. I’d imagine that’d be with mini led. Such a shame as I’d have hoped to have gotten even a regular lcd display with the increase to 14”

I can’t see them updating the 13” without going to the larger screen and new keyboard as well.

Then mini-led later in the year or start of next year, although would they maybe keep that back for the full redesign (and ARM?) due next year?

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
I agree - it would be crazy for them to launch an "upgraded" 13 inch pro and then launch a much more desirable 14 inch a few months later.

And more expensive too...

Personally, if they keep the prices with a base storage of 256, I prefer a 13” upgrade than having to pay more money for a 14” or a mini led display

However, I don’t see a sufficient price gap between the 16” and the 13” to put the 14”

Last edited:

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Now that the 16” inch has been out for several months with the newer design I’d be disappointed if they didn’t carry it over to the smaller model. Especially if they’ll not do it now and wait 6 months for a new design

Reactions: dfoxinator

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I agree - it would be crazy for them to launch an "upgraded" 13 inch pro and then launch a much more desirable 14 inch a few months later.

But that's exactly what they did with the 2019 15 inch in the summer and then the 16 inch in the fall! I should know, I'm one of the suckers who bought (mind you, out of necessity at the time) the high spec 15 2.4/32/1TB for a lot more money than a similar 16 is configured. You know what though? It's rock solid super stable unlike some of the 16 inch nonsense going around and I even don't mind the refined butterfly on the 2019s.

dfoxinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
But that's exactly what they did with the 2019 15 inch in the summer and then the 16 inch in the fall! I should know, I'm one of the suckers who bought (mind you, out of necessity at the time) the high spec 15 2.4/32/1TB for a lot more money than a similar 16 is configured. You know what though? It's rock solid super stable unlike some of the 16 inch nonsense going around and I even don't mind the refined butterfly on the 2019s.
Interesting - I didn't realize they did that. So silly. But yeah, sounds like it ended up fine for you :)

This does feel a bit different though because I wonder if at that point people knew a 16 inch was coming. Now, we know a 14 inch is coming, and if not the one in May then in a few months. I probably won't be purchasing if it's not the 14 inch knowing I can get that one a few months later, and I'd assume a lot are in the same boat with what we know now. But based on what you pointed out it does seem it's possible they release the 13 inch. I really hope not though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.