Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I have a i5 macbook air on the way and I'm kinda regretting ordering it after all of these reviews on the cooling issues. I might just end up getting a refurb 16". I just didn't want something so large originally but it might be the best machine for me.
The cooling issue is why I won’t be getting an Air. I won’t be getting a 16-inch because I can’t afford it. I think what I’ll be using my computer for (writing, research, and online exams), the Surface Laptop will be sufficient. I’d rather put the money towards a new iPad, which I use constantly.

Reactions: Never mind

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Maybe they are just leaving an air-gap between the MacBook Air refresh and the MBP refresh - meaning May could be the month for the revised version?

It’s now the only device with the butterfly keyboard left (apart from the Smart Keyboard Folio which is sealed so not problematic) so kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. With the release of the Magic Keyboard, even the iPad offers a better, more reliable typing experience now.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
The leaker discussed yesterday replied to a tweet today saying that another user should ask Jon about the New Pro. In another tweet he said he’s not interested in Mac Products so that could give us more hope for a 14” next month

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
Maybe they are just leaving an air-gap between the MacBook Air refresh and the MBP refresh - meaning May could be the month for the revised version?

It’s now the only device with the butterfly keyboard left (apart from the Smart Keyboard Folio which is sealed so not problematic) so kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. With the release of the Magic Keyboard, even the iPad offers a better, more reliable typing experience now.

I think we will see a revised MBP 13" in May with a new keyboard and processors (and possibly upgradeable RAM to 32GB). The disappointing thing, for me at least, will be if the screen doesn't get upgraded to 14" as well. It looks like they may hold on upgrading the screen until the end of the year.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
My MBA i5/16 is arriving in the end of may. My order is still processing and I have no idea what to do. I have two options:
1) Cancel MBA, order base model MBP 13". Since stores are closed, I'll have the return window. (I don't know if it is applicable to online purchases but looks like it is)
2) Wait for MBA, try it, if it doesnt work, send it to apple and wait for at least a month for a new one.

I'll be using it for IOS development and logic. I'll get the base model MBP with 8gb ram, but air has 16 with less powerful processor. I hope you can help me.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
My MBA i5/16 is arriving in the end of may. My order is still processing and I have no idea what to do. I have two options:
1) Cancel MBA, order base model MBP 13". Since stores are closed, I'll have the return window. (I don't know if it is applicable to online purchases but looks like it is)
2) Wait for MBA, try it, if it doesnt work, send it to apple and wait for at least a month for a new one.

I'll be using it for IOS development and logic. I'll get the base model MBP with 8gb ram, but air has 16 with less powerful processor. I hope you can help me.
I wouldn’t use an air for either of the things you mentioned. Too underpowered

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
is a very dirty strategy to get a new product out and within a few months to renew it, as Apple already did with the macbook pro 15 "and other products in the past.

I only wish they would be serious and renew the 13"/ 14" once this year and don't make people dizzy with variations of the same product to get our money

Reactions: drinkingtea

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I only wish they would be serious and renew the 13"/ 14" once this year and don't make people dizzy with variations of the same product to get our money
You can always bet by your money. Patiently wait and pull the trigger. After you pulled the trigger - never look back. Life is too short for unnecessary regrets.
=================
If you have truly chosen the right Macbook by your heart and logic, then you shouldn't worry, because there is always something interesting out the corner.
That is why I was always intrigued with all of the upgrades from 2016 through 2019, but i truly never placed a bet with my money on those butterfly keyboards, dual core CPUs, ugly point buttons shape(which is now a beautiful inverted T).

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
My 2016 13" TB is holding fine BUT the battery is tired and some keys are giving up (RIP WASD).
I'll try to get it repaired under the keyboard programme when stores reopen. Hopefully the new battery + 2017 v2 keyboard helps me hold on to it for one or two more years, until either Intel catches up or they switch to AMD.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
My 2016 13" TB is holding fine BUT the battery is tired and some keys are giving up (RIP WASD).
I'll try to get it repaired under the keyboard programme when stores reopen. Hopefully the new battery + 2017 v2 keyboard helps me hold on to it for one or two more years, until either Intel catches up or they switch to AMD.
Pretty decent strategy. Yours is not so bad and old to replace it immediately with a new one.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
You can always bet by your money. Patiently wait and pull the trigger. After you pulled the trigger - never look back. Life is too short for unnecessary regrets.
=================
If you have truly chosen the right Macbook by your heart and logic, then you shouldn't worry, because there is always something interesting out the corner.
That is why I was always intrigued with all of the upgrades from 2016 through 2019, but i truly never placed a bet with my money on those butterfly keyboards, dual core CPUs, ugly point buttons shape(which is now a beautiful inverted T).

Sure, you're right, although these things always make you angry ... in fact the 16" is not much better than the 15".

Too many quarantine days here :(
I have a late 2012 iMac that I am very happy with but for various reasons I can barely use it now.... some "need" to buy a laptop, I was excited with the MBA but due to its thermal management I have returned it

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Meh. Apple’s direction feels confusing and lost.

I need a computer ASAP since I have a huge test coming up in June that requires a computer (I only have an iPad). I don’t want a 13-inch screen. I guess I’ll be saving up for a Surface Laptop. Plus, I just love the typing experience on the SL in comparison to the new updated ~Magic Keyboard~.

Over the last month or so, ever time you post, you talk about how good the SL is and how you'll just swap to that. Are you a shill or just indicisive, haha?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Over the last month or so, ever time you post, you talk about how good the SL is and how you'll just swap to that. Are you a shill or just indicisive, haha?
Indecisive. I genuinely loved the SL when I tried it out, but I’ve never had a Windows laptop, so I’m hesitant to switch over.
[automerge]1587472443[/automerge]
If that is all what you want to do with a laptop, then Air will be sufficient even in the base model.
Even when hooked up to a monitor? Its inefficient cooling worries me.

Last edited:
Reactions: incredibleBread

esphil

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008

I have my air arriving this week, and alot of the feedback on it has turned me off. I've been running a iMac 2010 i3 since I bought it. I may just get the 16" refurb or see what the new mbp has.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
I have my air arriving this week, and alot of the feedback on it has turned me off. I've been running a iMac 2010 i3 since I bought it. I may just get the 16" refurb or see what the new mbp has.

I returned my Air, once the MBP2020 13 "is on the market, I think the MBP2019 13" would be a better purchase than the MBA2020

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Indecisive. I genuinely loved the SL when I tried it out, but I’ve never had a Windows laptop, so I’m hesitant to switch over.
[automerge]1587472443[/automerge]

Even when hooked up to a monitor? Its inefficient cooling worries me.
When I hooked the 2020 MacBook Air up to a 4K monitor and started multitasking a few windows, it definitely spun up the fan and started to stutter a bit. That was the i5 version too.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
I'm considering moving back to a Mac. I gave my last Mac to my wife a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 with 16GB RAM and she's been using that since. I've used it for a few days as a test as I had felt Mac OS got stale vs Windows 10 but in reality I think I was wrong. Also really quite shocked just how quick that Mac is considering it's age. Obviously it's not stellar but it's still more than quick enough for most use cases.

Anyway I'm in too minds on the size to get. I'd have already got a 16 inch at this point if it wasn't for the lack of WiFi 6 (AX). I've already kitted my home out with a wireless AX mesh and do push a lot of data around be that wired or wireless so I'm not interested in a laptop where I cannot upgrade the wireless to WiFi 6. The new 10th gen Intel 45W chips are barely faster than the 9th gen so that wouldn't have put me off.

I don't believe a 14 inch MacBook Pro is coming next but a refreshed 13 inch. However I'm not sure the screen still won't have shrunk bezels and might grow a bit. If you look at the Dell XPS they moved to a 13.4 inch screen with smaller bezels, Surface 3 I think is 13.5 inch. Apple can reduce the bezels and increase the screen but I think they'd probably need a bigger case to get to 14 inch from 13.3. Hence when Apple kind of rebutted that we shouldn't assume the 13 inch will move to 14 inch like the 15 did to 16, that doesn't mean it might not be a bigger screen but just won't make it to 14 inch. Even a 13.9 inch would still be a 13 inch laptop officially.

If they refresh both the 13 and 16 inch at the same time, give them both WiFi 6 then I'll be torn which to get. However I'm expecting the 13 inch first and 16 inch refresh much later in the year. That'll probably mean it'll be the 13inch for me.

The one other catch though is I can run VM's sometimes and certainly I'd need Parallels with a Windows 10 VM for a couple of apps on occasions. I've 24GB in my work laptop on Windows 10 which is enough but 16GB probably would be pushing it. They need to have a 32GB option which on the new 10th gen Ice Lake CPU's is possible. Almost all the Windows laptops are still 16GB but I did have a Dell XPS 13 2in1 with 32GB of RAM but returned it. The Thunderbolt 3 on that was unworkable / unstable.

So give me a 13 inch MacBook Pro with WiFi 6 and 32GB of RAM, I'll be happy with that. If they can increase the screen size / reduce the bezels a bit even better. Also if they find a way to up the battery size a bit like the 16 inch that'll be grand.

If a 16 inch MacBook Pro with WiFi 6 comes around same time. All bets are off, I might go for that one.

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
I literally cant decide if I want a i5 or i7 processor. I know for sure im going to get 16gb RAM and 512gb or 1TB of ssd. But cant decide on the processor.

What are you guys picking?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I literally cant decide if I want a i5 or i7 processor. I know for sure im going to get 16gb RAM and 512gb or 1TB of ssd. But cant decide on the processor.

What are you guys picking?
I’ll be going with the 28W i5 with 16GB RAM and 512 ssd. I’ll likely wait until September if there’s hope for a 14” screen. If there’s no hope I’ll wait until July to get the student deal.

Reactions: AgentMcGeek

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
Can someone tell me what you think the price would be for the macbook pro if it was a i7/16gb/512 ssd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.