Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Just a product announcement or are they directly available?
Looking for an additional small Macbook only for traveling.
Was thinking about getting the new air, but if there’s an arm coming, I might go with that instead

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
doubt: in order to avoid incompatibility problems (especially with windows)....
In case two macbook models come out, wouldn't it be better to buy the model with an intel processor now and wait for after the transition for macbooks with ARM?

Last edited:

Migranya

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
Just a product announcement or are they directly available?
Looking for an additional small Macbook only for traveling.
Was thinking about getting the new air, but if there’s an arm coming, I might go with that instead

This info matches with other predictions. But I think that an ARM MacBook is not going to launch in WWDC. Maybe we see a first look in order to give some time to delevopers because they should work to adapt their software or that stuff. Other people talked about a Q3 or Q4 launch.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
This info matches with other predictions. But I think that an ARM MacBook is not going to launch in WWDC. Maybe we see a first look in order to give some time to delevopers because they should work to adapt their software or that stuff. Other people talked about a Q3 or Q4 launch.

I agree, they might have emulation and Windows has that on it's ARM version but obviously not the ideal approach. I think they'll announce a move to ARM but won't launch until later in the year to give companies time to recompile apps. The development tools for that will probably be out around WWDC.

Depends on your needs but I suspect they'll keep Intel around for a while in the Pro machines. It might not be a case of replacing Intel but running two side by side at least for a while. ARM for the smaller more consumer type laptops, Intel for the Pro type machines. The ability to dual boot into other OS', some of the compatibility with programs, lack of Thunderbolt 3 on anything but Intel chips, etc.

I look forward to ARM but not sure I'd want to be in the first wave.

As another thought but has anyone considered Apple using their own GPU's in the Mac? They are doing good work there in their SoC's, I wonder if they might at some point have a T3 type chip for their Intel Mac's which also includes a scaled up GPU based on their own technology. That could be power efficient and happily fit in the 13 / 14 inch laptop. Feels like that could be something quite unique for Apple to do.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Can someone tell me what you think the price would be for the macbook pro if it was a i7/16gb/512 ssd?

That’s a tricky one depending on whether you want the 15W or 28W model. 16GB RAM will be £200 upgrade if it’s not standard on the higher end model. i7 will likely be a £300 upgrade. So you could be looking at anywhere between £1999 for an upgraded base model to £2299 for an upgraded higher end model assuming that the base storage amounts gets double and 8GB RAM comes as Standard

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
As we approach May, reading around it looks more and more that we'll get a 13' upgrade rather than 14'. What do you guys think ?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I agree, they might have emulation and Windows has that on it's ARM version but obviously not the ideal approach. I think they'll announce a move to ARM but won't launch until later in the year to give companies time to recompile apps. The development tools for that will probably be out around WWDC.

Depends on your needs but I suspect they'll keep Intel around for a while in the Pro machines. It might not be a case of replacing Intel but running two side by side at least for a while. ARM for the smaller more consumer type laptops, Intel for the Pro type machines. The ability to dual boot into other OS', some of the compatibility with programs, lack of Thunderbolt 3 on anything but Intel chips, etc.

I look forward to ARM but not sure I'd want to be in the first wave.

As another thought but has anyone considered Apple using their own GPU's in the Mac? They are doing good work there in their SoC's, I wonder if they might at some point have a T3 type chip for their Intel Mac's which also includes a scaled up GPU based on their own technology. That could be power efficient and happily fit in the 13 / 14 inch laptop. Feels like that could be something quite unique for Apple to do.
I think at WWDC like the Mac Pro last year a type of ARMbook will be announced and ship later with all the developer stuff launching at WWDC. I think the Pro machines will end up getting ARM at some point nearer the end of 2021 alongside the majority of the Mac Lineup
[automerge]1587548873[/automerge]
As we approach May, reading around it looks more and more that we'll get a 13' upgrade rather than 14'. What do you guys think ?
Although it looks more likely for a 13” I still really hope for a 14”. I think there’s not going to be any concrete news until it happens now in either 3 or 4 weeks today. Either way we’ll still get better processors alongside the new keyboard and a bumping of the base storage. Hopefully a doubling of the RAM in the higher end model too. Unfortunately if it is still 13” we’re unlikely to see the improvement in battery life or thermals that the 16” received and maybe no improvement with the speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeyde1989

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Out of curiosity, why do people think we’re just going to see a 13” rather than a 14”?

Migranya

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
Out of curiosity, why do people think we’re just going to see a 13” rather than a 14”?

Apple could be waiting for the mini-led to be ready and launch the 14-inch at the same time as the mini-led panels. All are speculations and I agree with BenConlin44: we won't know until the release.

papadakn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020

there have been conflicting rumors:
- Macbook Pro 13 refresh
- Macbook announcement in WWDC
- Macbook Pro with mini led screen

On top of that, last year apple refreshed the 15 around this time of the year only to re-refresh it in November with the 16'.

I want to hope that the May refresh will bring a 14 inch MBP, June will bring an ARM notebook and in Q4 we will see mini led update in the 16'.
[automerge]1587550269[/automerge]
there have been conflicting rumors:
- Macbook Pro 13 refresh
- Macbook announcement in WWDC
- Macbook Pro with mini led screen

On top of that, last year apple refreshed the 15 around this time of the year only to re-refresh it in November with the 16'.

I want to hope that the May refresh will bring a 14 inch MBP, June will bring an ARM notebook and in Q4 we will see mini led update in the 16'.

Having said that, the fact that there are not supply chain leaks for a 14' MBP at this point, reduces the possibility of a 14' refresh in May

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
There hasn’t been any substantial leaks stating one size or another. Ming Chi Quo is reliable but his prediction was Mini-led later in the year with a 14.1” screen. Prosser although said there’s a high chance of 14” said its being referred to as a 13” refresh internally. Like others have said if there was going to be a 14” screen it would require a slightly bigger chassis and as we haven’t heard about this it looks unlikely we’ll get one soon

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Like others have said if there was going to be a 14” screen it would require a slightly bigger chassis and as we haven’t heard about this it looks unlikely we’ll get one soon

Can't they just have the same chassis as the previous 13' and reduce the bezels ?

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Can't they just have the same chassis as the previous 13' and reduce the bezels ?

Don’t think there’s enough bezels to reduce to get from 13.3 inch to a 14 inch screen. Considering they still need some bezel for the webcam. I think they’d have to make the laptop slightly bigger.

Dannuts

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Stretching the 13.3" to 14.1" is a much bigger increase, in absolute and proportional reference frames, than pushing the 15.4" to 16" was. It could be we still see slimmed down bezels but it still stays in the 13" class range.

Reactions: FastLaneJB

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Dell XPS has a 13.4” screen and is smaller than the MBP, perhaps a 14" screen fits in the MBP13 chassis

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Dell XPS has a 13.4” screen and is smaller than the MBP, perhaps a 14" screen fits in the MBP13 chassis
It could if it was a dell screen it Apple wouldn’t use bezels that are thinner than the 16” plus the bigger chassis allows for a bigger battery and other improvements. I doubt they’ll increase to a 13.X” display when they’ll have a 14” one at the end of the year.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
The M.2 form factor connector for 2020 MBP to be implemented immediately for respecting the right to repair laws.
The MBP has the T2 controller chip, so they could just mount the NAND Flash to an M.2 Card. But why? What laws do you speak of requiring standard components?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
It's definitely going to be a 14". the 13" MBP have always been the 15" MBP mini me in terms of design. if the 15" got smaller bezels and became a 16", I am sure the 13" will follow the same path.

Reactions: stlow

stlow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
It's definitely going to be a 14". the 13" MBP have always been the 15" MBP mini me in terms of design. if the 15" got smaller bezels and became a 16", I am sure the 13" will follow the same path.
That’s what I’m thinking. The 15 inch last year was the last one with the old design. Releasing a 13 inch with thicker bezels after the 16 inch would be absurd to me.

Reactions: drinkingtea

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have a feeling it will be a 13" MBP next month. 14" will probably come later when the mini-LED panels are ready and be introduced with the updated 16". Apple will milk the old design as long as they can.

I also have a feeling the ARM MacBook will just be iPadOS in a MacBook body with touchscreen. With a more enhanced iPadOS. Just don't see how they can optimize OSX for ARM like they have for x86. iOS already shares a similar foundation as OSX. Might as well just keep updating iPadOS as the future OS for all devices.

Just some thoughts. Not saying this is how it will happen.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
That’s what I’m thinking. The 15 inch last year was the last one with the old design. Releasing a 13 inch with thicker bezels after the 16 inch would be absurd to me.
I agree. Both the Air and the current 13-inch look extremely dated. The damn laptops have *three* different bezel sizes as well. That’s always irritated me and set off my OCD. Apple is stubborn, though. I can see them updating only the internals of the 13-inch next month or June.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
May or WWDC...i guess....end of the year will be for iphones....4 of them...maybe the smaller homepod..and its enough since there will no physical events

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.