Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
and what about the rumor of using the trackpad as a secondary display? something new?

?
... the touch bar to the trash and function keys again ?

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
I think most people know this but the real question is whether the 14” is coming next month or end of year.
This is the big question and I can really see it going either way.

On one hand, it makes a lot of sense for Apple to update to 14" sooner rather than later. And I think the fact that they got the 16" out so quickly last year (completely replacing the newly updated 15" at the same price point) is evidence that Apple wants people to know they are taking the Pro line seriously again. It just doesn't make much sense to let the 13" languish for an entire year. I also think that putting in the new magic keyboard would take a slight re-design no matter what (as evidence by the slightly thicker 2020 MBA chassis). Would they really slightly re-design the 13" now just to re-deisgn it again for 14" in 6 months?

All that to say, it really worries me that there have been absolutely no supply chain leaks about a 14" yet. Perhaps coronavirus is making leaks more difficult as there are less peering eyes on the factories?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
and what about the rumor of using the trackpad as a secondary display? something new?

?
... the touch bar to the trash and function keys again ?
no need for the trackpad as an secondary screen, other has it is kind of irrelevant...i want more the trackpad to be an s-pen input (apple pencil)

Reactions: mbaire

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
At this time there is not a sufficient price range to fit two macbook models between the macbook air and the 16" macbook pro. If they present a 13" MBP in May and later a 14" one, it will be the same story as with the 15" and the 16" ?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
This is the big question and I can really see it going either way.

On one hand, it makes a lot of sense for Apple to update to 14" sooner rather than later. And I think the fact that they got the 16" out so quickly last year (completely replacing the newly updated 15" at the same price point) is evidence that Apple wants people to know they are taking the Pro line seriously again. It just doesn't make much sense to let the 13" languish for an entire year. I also think that putting in the new magic keyboard would take a slight re-design no matter what (as evidence by the slightly thicker 2020 MBA chassis). Would they really slightly re-design the 13" now just to re-deisgn it again for 14" in 6 months?

All that to say, it really worries me that there have been absolutely no supply chain leaks about a 14" yet. Perhaps coronavirus is making leaks more difficult as there are less peering eyes on the factories?
Completely agree! I don’t think they’d go to the trouble of re tooling the current design to then replace it in 6 months. Keep in mind the 15” last year had the exact same design. However the worrying thing is the lack of leaks. Keeping in mind that the 16” was rumoured from Jan/Feb 2019. I’m hoping they rip the plaster off and reduce the bezels now.

Dannuts

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
I'm guessing the focus of everything internally is on the iPhone 12, which is no surprise, and we are getting tons of leaks on it. The MBP is probably just flying under the radar. It is, after all, a much smaller product with fewer people involved.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I also have a feeling the ARM MacBook will just be iPadOS in a MacBook body with touchscreen. With a more enhanced iPadOS.
I doubt that. This would hardly be diffentiable from iPad, with all its limitations.

Just don't see how they can optimize OSX for ARM like they have for x86. iOS already shares a similar foundation as OSX.
See the contradition?

An iPad-like book would not make too much sense imo; whereas an ARM based notebook with a full blown macOS does, provided Apple managed to take full advantage of the supposed ARM advantages: first and foremost a vastly better performance per watt ratio. Now, given under the hood iOS and macOS share the same underpinnings I take it as given that Apple has solved the problem software-wise. Question is if they managed to squeeze out enough power to take on x86_64. My first guess: they probably did

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019
The MBP has the T2 controller chip, so they could just mount the NAND Flash to an M.2 Card. But why? What laws do you speak of requiring standard components?

The T2 can be optional for security protection but Apple needs to implement in a way that wouldn't messed up with third party M.2 nVME in order for respecting the right to repair laws.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Dell XPS has a 13.4” screen and is smaller than the MBP, perhaps a 14" screen fits in the MBP13 chassis

Dell XPS 13 has a 16:9 screen whereas the MBP has a 16:10 screen. A 16:10 of the same diameter is about 10% taller (whereas the width is only 3% narrower). So the MBP will always have in one way or another a larger case than the XPS13, just because of the aspect ratio.

It's definitely going to be a 14". the 13" MBP have always been the 15" MBP mini me in terms of design. if the 15" got smaller bezels and became a 16", I am sure the 13" will follow the same path.

Yeah, despite the obfuscating FUD surrounding all these rumours, I'm a firm believer in a 14" with magic keyboard in May ;) Apple is known to spread several versions of the truth to make sure the real product isn't fully known before launch.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Dell XPS 13 has a 16:9 screen whereas the MBP has a 16:10 screen. A 16:10 of the same diameter is about 10% taller (whereas the width is only 3% narrower). So the MBP will always have in one way or another a larger case than the XPS13, just because of the aspect ratio.

Yeah, despite the obfuscating FUD surrounding all these rumours, I'm a firm believer in a 14" with magic keyboard in May ;) Apple is known to spread several versions of the truth to make sure the real product isn't fully known before launch.
I pray you’re right about the 14” it would be perfect. The new XPS 13 does have 16:10 I believe but either way it wouldn’t make a difference as there would be no way of implementing a 14.1” display in the current chassis.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
The T2 can be optional for security protection but Apple needs to implement in a way that wouldn't messed up with third party M.2 nVME in order for respecting the right to repair laws.
It is my understanding that all the data in the NAND Flash chips is encrypted, and that devices with swappable SSDs under the T2 chip (Mac Pro) would not be readable. If Apple used standard M.2, performance would likely suffer because the SSD (with its own controller and optional DRAM cache) would be connected to another controller, the T2 for encryption. The T2 sees only NAND flash, not PCIe or SATA based SSDs. And what right to repair laws have been passed for consumer electronics? Apple needs some sort of controller chip to run the touch bar, so they may as well integrate the SMC, Audio, Power, and Storage controllers onto a single chip, probably also with some video hardware and a couple of low power ARM cores. The T2 also makes a system incredibly secure because of on-the-fly encryption. I'm willing to live with my data under lock and key (as long as I control the key) in exchange for the chips that hold my data being physically removable and readable by somebody else.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Alright MacBook Air released iPad magic keyboard released iPhone se released.

Now it's time for the main event MacBook Pro 14 inch mini led ?

Hurry up apple ??

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I doubt that. This would hardly be diffentiable from iPad, with all its limitations.

See the contradition?

An iPad-like book would not make too much sense imo; whereas an ARM based notebook with a full blown macOS does, provided Apple managed to take full advantage of the supposed ARM advantages: first and foremost a vastly better performance per watt ratio. Now, given under the hood iOS and macOS share the same underpinnings I take it as given that Apple has solved the problem software-wise. Question is if they managed to squeeze out enough power to take on x86_64. My first guess: they probably did

You're probably right. The only problem I see are Apps. They need to be optimized for ARM. All of them. And companies like Adobe have issues just getting their software from 32 bit to 64 bit. Probably why they had to rewrite Photoshop for the iPad. Not all companies use XCode to write Mac apps. They just use it as a wrapper. So it's not as easy as clicking on a few settings etc.

The reason why I think it will be an iPadOS Macbook is how Apple seems to be shifting what the iPad is. As well as all the rumors of possibly XCode and Final Cut maybe coming to the iPad. I'll admit I could be wrong. And probably dead wrong lol. If it's OSX running on ARM, I do hope they can come up with a way to run OSX apps in emulation. The ARM chips might be fast enough to do it.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
What are the rumors regarding how early a 2020 MacBook Pro could be released? I'm reading some things saying there might be just a refresh, others saying a redesigned 14" notebook, and I'm at the point where I need a new laptop soon and I really just want it to be updated regardless of how significant it is.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
What are the rumors regarding how early a 2020 MacBook Pro could be released? I'm reading some things saying there might be just a refresh, others saying a redesigned 14" notebook, and I'm at the point where I need a new laptop soon and I really just want it to be updated regardless of how significant it is.
Rumors are all over the shop at the moment.

Media is saying a 13 inch pro is coming next month but they can’t guarantee it’ll be a 14 inch refresh.

they also said mini led pro might debut at WWDC or end of the year.

??

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

strong possibility we could see some new MacBooks getting announced at WWDC going off this photo that Apple put out.

1587609149974.jpeg

Or it could mean nothing ??

Last edited:

cullenl87

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I’ve just received my magic KB for my iPad pro and it‘s highlighting how all future MacBooks desperetaly need Pro Motion displays and Face ID. Things are just so fluid with this new keyboard and the advantages of the iPad Pro. 120hz is just a game changer. There’s really no going back!

Last edited:

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
strong possibility we could see some new MacBooks getting announced at WWDC going off this photo that Apple put out.

View attachment 908451
Or it could mean nothing ??

Here's my interpretation:
"hello" = new iMac
"Apple logo" = new MacBooks (probably 13")
"WWDC" = obviously WWDC itself
"20/20" = the colours suggest to me fun, maybe low-cost iPad?
Missing design across the bottom = This is a hard one to figure out. My best guess is that Tim said no to the label "We're going ARM, bitches"

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
You're probably right. The only problem I see are Apps. They need to be optimized for ARM. All of them. And companies like Adobe have issues just getting their software from 32 bit to 64 bit. Probably why they had to rewrite Photoshop for the iPad. Not all companies use XCode to write Mac apps. They just use it as a wrapper. So it's not as easy as clicking on a few settings etc.
Not so sure about that. Under the hood the IDEs use Xcode; so as long as API are the same it should not be much of a hassle. I believe not too much platform specific (i.e. processor specific) code is around these days.

Back then not only was it a processor transition, but also a toolchain / framework transition, the latter being much more difficult in particular from third party developer‘s viewpoints. This time, its neither toolchain nor framework transition, emulation therefore probably not even required.
If you‘re using VMs a lot you‘re screwed though
[automerge]1587641814[/automerge]

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaRocket

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Rumours for laptops never seem to come out much in advance due to the must smaller supply chain involved and lack of things like leaks from third party case suppliers. So its entirely feasible we’d get 24/48 hours ”notice” from a proven leaker.

It just makes no sense for the 13” to be sitting there as the only laptop with the butterfly keyboard. WWDC was the obvious choice for an announcement, but even that’s leaving it hanging in the breeze for ages. If they were to announce a 12” ARM MacBook at WWDC, I’m guessing they’d still want to get the MBP out first to keep the message simple, so I’m still hopeful we’ll see one sooner rather than later.

A revised 13” MBP at this stage makes no sense either when you look at their laptop lineup now, so I think it will be 14”. No concrete rumours about it doesn’t worry me though.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
The ARM chip will be a no go for many. Is Microsoft going to re-write desktop Excel for the A chip? How good will the x86 emulator work for either "old Mac Excel" or bootcamp/parallels?

There needs to be a new 14" MBP released in May. How freaking long can you have a broken keyboard on your second most popular non-mobile product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.