Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overlof

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
The whole heat problem with the air is blown out of proportion. I use it every day and have no problems, running XCode and various Simulators
Have you had old resolution Airs? How is your new Air in terms of battery life?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
As Apple user since 2013, who was happy with macbooks until touchbar era, who struggles with tbMBP 15" 2016, which has hardware, design, usability, fixability flaws(uncomfortable touchbar(for me), keyboard, flexgate issues, UI lags on HD 530 Graphics, low resale value, shorter battery life then retina MacBook Pros, fear of forgetting dongle, too loud keyboard sound) and after reading threads about heat problems on 2020 Airs, GPU panic in 16" and touchbar is still being there, I am leaving Apple. Good luck, guys.

I feel your pain. Had the 16” and had to return it due to crazy over heating and constant fan noise while connecting to external display (and only doing simple web browsing)

Also not being able play most of my purchased steam games because of catlina sucked bad.

I just ordered a beast of a windows laptop for less then half the price of similar specs MBP and is both storage and ram user upgradable.

Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I feel your pain. Had the 16” and had to return it due to crazy over heating and constant fan noise while connecting to external display.(and doing simple web browsing)

Also not being able play most of my purchased steam games because of catlina sucked bad.

I just ordered a beast of a windows laptop for less then half the price of similar specs MBP and is both storage and ram user upgradable.

Will see how it goes.

Heres the reality -

If what you just described was a common experience of the MBP, it wouldn’t sell. At all.

It sounds like you couldn’t justify the price - which is fair.

But a consumer that buys an electric product with the intent of using it for what it is - would exchange in your scenario.

Crazy Overheating while simple web browsing?

lol.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Heres the reality -

If what you just described was a common experience of the MBP, it wouldn’t sell. At all.

It sounds like you couldn’t justify the price - which is fair.

But a consumer that buys an electric product with the intent of using it for what it is - would exchange in your scenario.

Crazy Overheating while simple web browsing?

lol.

guess you are not informed of the external monitor issue.

Maybe this 46 pages thread Will enlighten you

Last edited:

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008

No chance Apple will have these in the new MacBook Pro 13 / 14 inch this summer. Intel is announcing it but the talk of laptop designs is for holiday period.

Apple is also normally very slow with adopting a new chip these days, it's very disappointing. The Ice Lake 10nm chips that should be in the new MacBook Pro 13 / 14 will be a year old roughly by the time Apple is using them. It's just the way Apple is these days, they don't bother to keep their machines all that current.

Reactions: AFPBoy

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
According to some leaked pictures, the new Dell XPS15 is going to have big up-facing speakers and a giant trackpad. If this is released before the 14", I might just switch. I've never tried Windows 10, it can't be that bad. But I still hope Apple releases the 14" before that.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I've never tried Windows 10, it can't be that bad.

Well...

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/dl1lqm
The first problem is not even isolated to just Bootcamp on MacBooks. It's a well-known issue for Windows laptops as well.

Let's just say... grass is not greener on the other side. There's a reason why I ultimately gave up on 13" MBP + eGPU solution. Trying to deal with Microsoft updates every other day is exhausting.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
No chance Apple will have these in the new MacBook Pro 13 / 14 inch this summer. Intel is announcing it but the talk of laptop designs is for holiday period.

Apple is also normally very slow with adopting a new chip these days, it's very disappointing. The Ice Lake 10nm chips that should be in the new MacBook Pro 13 / 14 will be a year old roughly by the time Apple is using them. It's just the way Apple is these days, they don't bother to keep their machines all that current.

The Ice Lake chips are extremely hard to find in a retail PC. I think the XPS is the only performance laptop with it. Thinkpads are on Comet Lake.

So I think it's less Apple is very disappointing and more Intel is very disappointing. Intel had to fall back to TWO 10th gen chips because they couldn't make the Ice Lake chips well.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
According to some leaked pictures, the new Dell XPS15 is going to have big up-facing speakers and a giant trackpad. If this is released before the 14", I might just switch. I've never tried Windows 10, it can't be that bad. But I still hope Apple releases the 14" before that.

Windows 10 is pretty good to be honest. It's not perfect of course but then I don't think Mac OS is either. Assuming both have the software that you need then it's just a matter of preference at this point however the far larger choice of hardware on Windows can be hard to ignore sometimes.

I'd be fine with less choice if Apple updated their machines more often. I don't feel bad with an iPhone that there isn't 500 options to choose from because Apple supplies a few solid ones that they keep current each year. The Mac gets refreshed randomly, sometimes Intel comes out with new chips and Apple skips them completely.

The Ice Lake chips are extremely hard to find in a retail PC. I think the XPS is the only performance laptop with it. Thinkpads are on Comet Lake.

So I think it's less Apple is very disappointing and more Intel is very disappointing. Intel had to fall back to TWO 10th gen chips because they couldn't make the Ice Lake chips well.

The 10nm ones are in a good selection of laptops now and not just the XPS but yes not all of them by any means. Exactly as you say though it's due to manufacturing issues. It still doesn't change the fact that it's a year old chip though and the new MacBook will be launching just as Intel will be announcing the processors replacement.

The issue here is Apple has no competition in the Mac OS space. If you want to run Mac OS you have to buy their hardware. Where as in the Windows space if your selling a CPU that's 1 or 2 generations old when all the others have the latest and greatest chips, it's going to hurt your sales. They have no choice to keep current for the most part where as Apple can get away with refreshing more sparsely.

KoolSafak

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
I thought about the MacBook:
- 11th Gen will be in the MacBook line 2021 (Intel is incapable to ramp up production) That’s why we finally get 10th Gen

- I highly doubt that we will see two design chances (first Magic Keyboard and than 14 inch). That we still didn’t see a 13 inch suggest to me towards a bigger release. Apple is not stupid and they now that every one expects a 14 inch. And Apple wants to have the MacBook Pro out there for back to school. So I’m confident that we we’ll see the 14 inch WWDC at the latest. But I believe it could be in May if ARM MacBook gets announced at WWDC. They surely want to give the ARM MacBook all the attention in that case.

Pure speculation:
Mid 2020: 14 inch
Late 2020: LED
Mid 2021: Redesign and 11th Gen

Maybe the intel chips are ready for November.

I canceled my MBA today

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I thought about the MacBook:
- 11th Gen will be in the MacBook line 2021 (Intel is incapable to ramp up production) That’s why we finally get 10th Gen

- I highly doubt that we will see two design chances (first Magic Keyboard and than 14 inch). That we still didn’t see a 13 inch suggest to me towards a bigger release. Apple is not stupid and they now that every one expects a 14 inch. And Apple wants to have the MacBook Pro out there for back to school. So I’m confident that we we’ll see the 14 inch WWDC at the latest. But I believe it could be in May if ARM MacBook gets announced at WWDC. They surely want to give the ARM MacBook all the attention in that case.

Pure speculation:
Mid 2020: 14 inch
Late 2020: LED
Mid 2021: Redesign and 11th Gen

Maybe the intel chips are ready for November.

I canceled my MBA today
If your in the market for a Pro machine I’m sure you’ll not regret cancelling your order. I’m hoping (with a bit of an educated guess) that on May 13th will be the launch date. Like you said because they’re putting in the magic keyboard I’m sure they’ll not waste money retooling now to then redesign in a few months. So hopefully a 14”

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
1588019741916.png

This is my best educated guess as to what the 1799 (28W) model may look like when it launches in the next 2-3 weeks

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD for the base model?
Not a chance. Not even close. I would really like that, but knowing Apple, base model will be 256/8, or at best, 512/8.

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD for the base model?
Not a chance. Not even close. I would really like that, but knowing Apple, base model will be 256/8, or at best, 512/8.

It may not be 16GB, but it will definitely be 512. They put 8GB and 256 in the $999 Air. They cant keep both RAM and Storage the same and charge $1799 for it. As a frame of reference the 16" starts with 16 and 512 for $2399

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
It may not be 16GB, but it will definitely be 512. They put 8GB and 256 in the $999 Air. They cant keep both RAM and Storage the same and charge $1799 for it. As a frame of reference the 16" starts with 16 and 512 for $2399

I could be wrong, I was wrong about MBP16 for example. I've expected it to sell for more $$$.
We will see, hopefully soon :)

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’m pretty much 100% sure of getting 512GB in the £1799 model. Considering with the 16” model they showed they could provide more value I’m hoping for 16GB in the £1799 model too. When the 15” got upgraded to 16GB standard (6 years ago!) the prices remained the same. Plus with the likely addition of a 32GB option they are still keeping a revenue stream open with regards to memory upgrades

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I think the 28W chip is base at 2.3 for an i7. There is no other 28W chip for 10th gen so I wonder what else they may offer for the 4 port?...
From the leaks Intel has made an i5 28W chip with the specs I’ve listed above. It seems to be a decent chip considering the lower clock speeds of Ice Lake. If we get a redesigned chassis with better cooling there’s a better chance of getting higher boost speeds.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
From the leaks Intel has made an i5 28W chip with the specs I’ve listed above. It seems to be a decent chip considering the lower clock speeds of Ice Lake. If we get a redesigned chassis with better cooling there’s a better chance of getting higher boost speeds.
Ok. I didn’t know that!

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
guess you are not informed of the external monitor issue.

Maybe this 46 pages thread Will enlighten you

To be fair, 46 pages doesn't mean hundreds of thousands to millions of unique users with the same problem, which is what is the requirement for it to be considered a widespread issue. This forum, in its entirety, is about 1 million users. Much less when you rule out users who aren't 16" MBP owners, multiple comments from the same users discussing the issue, and users who don't even have the issue. You're talking about being left with a fraction of the actual grand user base that has the issue, likely well within the "accepted" failure rate that any and all products have. The issue exists, but this forum isn't a good metric for how widespread these issues are. When you hear about it in mainstream news, like with the butterfly keyboard, and Apple starts a return program for the issue. That's when it's widespread.

• Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
For those experiencing heat/fan problems with the MBP 16, try moving your adapter cord and external monitor connection to the right two TB3 ports. Keep the lightweight stuff on the left. At the very least, this will help with kernel_task taking over the CPU. I saw this on the interwebs recently and thought I'd pass it along given that it helped my situation. I hope Apple resolves this problem in the 2020 MBP 16.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.