Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
To be fair, 46 pages doesn't mean hundreds of thousands to millions of unique users with the same problem
On the other hand, there's the distinct possibility that it's a real problem but people just don't detect it. Thanks to some great investigators in that thread, it's well established that the 16"'s GPU uses 4x the power needed when using the internal screen together with an external one. When you either don't use an external screen or you workload isn't high, you have the same problem but don't notice it. It becomes an issue really quickly, though: try anything taxing and your fans get noisy, whereas without the external screen, the machine copes fine. And it's clearly a bug because with older versions of macos, it doesn't do that. It's most likely a driver bug and almost certainly appears in each individual machine.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Is the consensus still that Apple will release new 13”/14” in May? The wait is killing me. I told myself that a 12.9 iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard case would suffice but I know that once I see the updated MBP I’ll be sweating bullets...

My big wish is Face ID on it...

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Is the consensus still that Apple will release new 13”/14” in May? The wait is killing me. I told myself that a 12.9 iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard case would suffice but I know that once I see the updated MBP I’ll be sweating bullets...

My big wish is Face ID on it...
Pretty sure there’s no FaceID but I’m also pretty sure it will be either May 13th or 20th for a release. My main hopes are 16GB standard and a 14” screen

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
If it comes in at 14” and 16Gb standard at $1499 or $1799 it will be a day 1 purchase for me. Sadly, I just don’t feel great that the 14” is coming this month. I think it might be an end of 2020 update. I really hope I’m wrong though.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
If it comes in at 14” and 16Gb standard at $1499 or $1799 it will be a day 1 purchase for me. Sadly, I just don’t feel great that the 14” is coming this month. I think it might be an end of 2020 update. I really hope I’m wrong though.
£1799 with 16GB I’ll be buying too I’m just hoping there’s a 14” screen

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Now that I’ve decided that I want power and portability I’m also waiting on the 13”/14” MBP. I don’t care which size comes in May as long as the price remains in line with what’s out currently. I kind of doubt the 14” coming anytime soon though. I haven’t seen anything to indicate a 14” is coming next month though, not one leak in the sea of leaks we’ve been getting lately. Let’s just see something in May.

Reactions: Jayderek

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
Now that I’ve decided that I want power and portability I’m also waiting on the 13”/14” MBP. I don’t care which size comes in May as long as the price remains in line with what’s out currently. I kind of doubt the 14” coming anytime soon though. I haven’t seen anything to indicate a 14” is coming next month though, not one leak in the sea of leaks we’ve been getting lately. Let’s just see something in May.

a couple leakers have stuck with the May date for launching the 13/14. Worse case I could see it being held as an announcement for the online WWDC.

I'm in the same boat as most of you, assuming the price isn't ridiculous for the specs offered, I will buy a new 13/14 immediately. If the pricing gets too high, I will cave and buy a base model 2019 16"

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I actually don’t get why Apple is playing the surprise party thing like we are all little kids. Why not announce in adavance when new products are going to come out like all the other manufactures?

lenovo, dell and all the others are announcing new products months before they release them to the market, which seem the fair and right thing to do.

I mean this guessing game is just silly.

Reactions: drinkingtea

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I actually don’t get why Apple is playing the surprise party thing like we are all little kids. Why not announce in adavance when new products are going to come out like all the other manufactures?

It’s a way for them to build up hype and to get people talking about their products. Hype equals dollars ???

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
It somewhat annoys me seeing too much leaks about devices that are supposed to launch next year but still no concrete evidence on the screen size of next month’s MBP.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
a couple leakers have stuck with the May date for launching the 13/14. Worse case I could see it being held as an announcement for the online WWDC.

I'm in the same boat as most of you, assuming the price isn't ridiculous for the specs offered, I will buy a new 13/14 immediately. If the pricing gets RE right. too high, I will cave and buy a base model 2019 16"

If I was a leaker, I’d hold on to my original statement too, but as someone who is waiting, I need to see some fuzzy camera pics of CAD drawings or a part that fell on the factory floor. Who knows, maybe they are right. I won’t complain if I turn out to be wrong, lol, but a 14” is essentially a new design. Someone who reports leaks would be chomping at the bit to produce something for the rumor hungry masses to eat up.

Reactions: Jayderek

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Meh, I will wait it out. My 2015 mbp is going strong. Hopefully a good macbook pro is released by sometime next year.

Reactions: pshufd

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Worse case I could see it being held as an announcement for the online WWDC.

To me, it seems highly unlikely they'll launch at WWDC if they're also going to launch the ARM mac platform. "Oh, one more thing! We also have this lame old outdated new Intel thingie here, meh."

If they were smart, they'd launch the 14" about now so everybody buys like crazy, then announce the whole line is going to change. But for that, the machine needs to be ready. Also, there could be a buying frenzy of Intel macs after the ARM announcement, of course ?

Maybe it's the Osborne effect? Apple is old enough a company to remember that.

Reactions: Jayderek and AFPBoy

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
The (rumoured) ARM transition is bothering me. Not that I have a particular preference for either architecture, but I really don't want to buy a Mac before a major switch over. I don't buy a new Mac very often (typing this on a 2013 iMac, that succeeded a 2006 MacBook) and want to get a lot of years of use out of it. PowerPC Macs were quickly in the rear view mirror after the intel switchover whereas my 7 year old iMac is still running the latest version of MacOS, even if it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

Even if a new MBP were to drop today, I'm at least waiting until WWDC to see if we learn any more about ARM coming to the Mac. And I really want a new MBP.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Guess I’ve slightly different hopes than others. I’d like the 14 inch for sure but will be OK if it’s still 13.

I need the new MacBook Pro though to have 32GB of RAM as an option and WiFi 6 else I’ll not buy. I’d probably have brought a 16 inch by now if it wasn’t for the lack of WiFi 6. If they don’t have either of those I’ll just get a Windows laptop I guess.

The ARM switch over is a bit concerning of course as it could mean this new laptop won’t have the lifespan you can normally get out of Apple kit. However I need to run a couple of Windows VM’s plus I’ll be using Bootcamp on occasions. Unless they can emulate that and fast, ARM will be an issue for me.

I’m of the opinion that they might not do a full switchover but instead just their lower end systems. Keeping both side by side at least for a good few years.

Reactions: Plncrzy_2

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
The situation is quite different than the PowerPC switch. PowerPC was a dying, slow and obsolete platform. But Intel is not. So even if Apple switches part of their lineup to ARM, you'll still have a very viable machine that will last you 5+ years. I cannot see Apple drop support for Intel entirely within 3 years when they've just announced the new Mac Pro platform.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
If I was a leaker, I’d hold on to my original statement too, but as someone who is waiting, I need to see some fuzzy camera pics of CAD drawings or a part that fell on the factory floor. Who knows, maybe they are right. I won’t complain if I turn out to be wrong, lol, but a 14” is essentially a new design. Someone who reports leaks would be chomping at the bit to produce something for the rumor hungry masses to eat up.

I think the problem is that MacBook leaks, unless there is a brand new design, aren't 'exciting' to the mainstream press and to most people. Any sort of hint of a leak for a new iPhone or iPad and people go crazy, so there's a lot more always happening with those.

A 14" MacBook Pro just won't be different enough on a CAD drawing level to be worth it for many to leak.

I do agree with you in the hope that this comes out soon though...and I hope this is something that isn't pushed off

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Suite. That guy is worth following.
[automerge]1588163576[/automerge]
Guess I’ve slightly different hopes than others. I’d like the 14 inch for sure but will be OK if it’s still 13.

I need the new MacBook Pro though to have 32GB of RAM as an option and WiFi 6 else I’ll not buy. I’d probably have brought a 16 inch by now if it wasn’t for the lack of WiFi 6. If they don’t have either of those I’ll just get a Windows laptop I guess.

The ARM switch over is a bit concerning of course as it could mean this new laptop won’t have the lifespan you can normally get out of Apple kit. However I need to run a couple of Windows VM’s plus I’ll be using Bootcamp on occasions. Unless they can emulate that and fast, ARM will be an issue for me.

I’m of the opinion that they might not do a full switchover but instead just their lower end systems. Keeping both side by side at least for a good few years.

I need 32 GB as well. I've been using the 13 more and it's better because I can get more than WUXGA on it. I would still prefer the 16 and would prefer 17 even more. But I'm sure my next system will be a 16.
[automerge]1588163715[/automerge]
The situation is quite different than the PowerPC switch. PowerPC was a dying, slow and obsolete platform. But Intel is not. So even if Apple switches part of their lineup to ARM, you'll still have a very viable machine that will last you 5+ years. I cannot see Apple drop support for Intel entirely within 3 years when they've just announced the new Mac Pro platform.

I can't either. They sell fleets of MacBook Pros to engineering companies that need to run Linux and Windows in VMs or via Boot Camp. There's no reason to give that up. On the other hand, there are very large numbers who don't need x86 compatibility but want a laptop and the macOS base software is quite rich and mature.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.