Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
iTunes Connect and Transporter maintenance starting May 9th at 6:00 AM and lasting 4 hours. Does this have anything to do with 2020 MBP? For a rational person, probably not... But don't rain on my parade. I am counting down the days until May 9-13ish window to see if the rumors are true!!!

32GB RAM + Scissor Keyboard + new CPU + maybe a few other surprises = some excitement for sure...

Reactions: unoporfavor

BoneHead001

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Livonia,MI
iTunes Connect and Transporter maintenance starting May 9th at 6:00 AM and lasting 4 hours. Does this have anything to do with 2020 MBP? For a rational person, probably not... But don't rain on my parade. I am counting down the days until May 9-13ish window to see if the rumors are true!!!

32GB RAM + Scissor Keyboard + new CPU + maybe a few other surprises = some excitement for sure...
Same here. I almost bought a 2020 MBA, but decided not to because of the thermals and the RGB screen.

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
All sounding good, not sure I need 4TB plus it'll probably cost a fortune but nice they give the option. They just need to put WiFi 6 in it. Not much of an excuse not to, it's built into the CPU pretty much still it also is on the MacBook Air's CPU yet they still put only WiFi 5 in that one... Don't get the logic on not using it.

Reactions: BoneHead001

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I think there could be a real possibility of a 16GB RAM upgrade. In the past when RAM has been increased in capacity eg In 2014 when the 13” went from 4GB to 8GB and the 15” went from 8GB to 16GB is There has been no cost increase. Add to this that they are introducing a 32GB option allowing for the revenue stream to remain open all points to a stronger possibility of them putting in more RAM as standard. At least on the higher end model.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
$1499 might be the new base Pro since they’ve put quad core in the MacBook Air. The MBA has quad core, 8Gb, 512 for $1299. Seems strange to keep the 1299 Pro at the same price.
It is not controversial for Apple to put different tier models at the same price.
Iphone 8 - $450, 8 plus - $550. But if you bump up storage on ip8 you will end up at 8 plus' price zone.
Iphone Xr - $600. Iphone 11 - $700. But 128gb Xr is $650. So you end up debating "save $50, get 128gb storage with XR or add a no-brainer $50 and get latest and greatest but with 64gb".
Iphone 11 pro - $1000. Ip 11 pro Max - $1100. Iphone 11 pro with 256gb - $1150. Again dilemma: go with more storage and smaller screen or larger screen and 64gb storage.
==============
So basically $1300 MB air - i5 4-core/8gb/512gb.
MBP 13 - $1300 for i5 4-core/8gb/256gb. MBP has better thermals, more performance, brighter display. But air will have its' distinguishable shape and 512gb of storage.

Also Apple didn't charge extra $$ for display size bump 15 inch to 16 inch.

Audience of Air and Pro don't intersect. Someone who prefer 512gb Air will not buy 256gb Pro, unless he will think of a $200 storage upgrade for Pro, which will put him in a different category of customers.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I purchased a Surface Laptop 3 for $300 off. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy. I’ve never had a Microsoft laptop, so I’m nervous. But I can’t even afford a MacBook Air and I have a huge online test in June that I need to prepare for. So, waiting for the Pro, which I won’t be able to afford when it comes out, makes no sense. As a student, Apple is just too expensive for me. :(

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
I purchased a Surface Laptop 3 for $300 off. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy. I’ve never had a Microsoft laptop, so I’m nervous. But I can’t even afford a MacBook Air and I have a huge online test in June that I need to prepare for. So, waiting for the Pro, which I won’t be able to afford when it comes out, makes no sense. As a student, Apple is just too expensive for me. :(

Completely understand! Was your decision to go with a Surface Laptop 3 over an iPad mainly because it is a full OS?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Completely understand! Was your decision to go with a Surface Laptop 3 over an iPad mainly because it is a full OS?
Yes, because it has a full OS. I have to run software for school that won’t run on the iPad. I hope I do not regret this purchase. So nervous.

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
On the other hand, there's the distinct possibility that it's a real problem but people just don't detect it. Thanks to some great investigators in that thread, it's well established that the 16"'s GPU uses 4x the power needed when using the internal screen together with an external one. When you either don't use an external screen or you workload isn't high, you have the same problem but don't notice it. It becomes an issue really quickly, though: try anything taxing and your fans get noisy, whereas without the external screen, the machine copes fine. And it's clearly a bug because with older versions of macos, it doesn't do that. It's most likely a driver bug and almost certainly appears in each individual machine.
That's really interesting! Thanks for writing it in a clear and concise manner!
I am looking at the MBP that comes out shortly (either the refreshed 13 or a whole new 14), and it's something I will test before accepting!
Cheers

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I purchased a Surface Laptop 3 for $300 off. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow at Best Buy. I’ve never had a Microsoft laptop, so I’m nervous. But I can’t even afford a MacBook Air and I have a huge online test in June that I need to prepare for.
You don't need specific $800+tax laptop to open couple of pdfs, web pages and doc files. You can go this way if you wish: buy at least something, which will be enough to prepare for tests. A lot of laptops under $200 or under $300.
Then when your dream machine comes up, just sell your 200 laptop and buy MBP u wanted.
As a student, Apple is just too expensive for me.
Hi five! I am also a student, so i am saving some cash from my on-campus job for future purchase.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
You don't need specific $800+tax laptop to open couple of pdfs, web pages and doc files. You can go this way if you wish: buy at least something, which will be enough to prepare for tests. A lot of laptops under $200 or under $300.
Then when your dream machine comes up, just sell your 200 laptop and buy MBP u wanted.

Hi five! I am also a student, so i am saving some cash from my on-campus job for future purchase.
I was thinking about doing that, but that’s still $200-$300 I can put towards a laptop I want. I really enjoyed the Surface Laptop when I tried it out, so I’m not too upset. I also don’t trust any Microsoft laptops except for Surfaces. Plus, I largely use my iPad for everything school-related except for tests and writing papers. I’m going to give the SL a two-week trial. If I don’t like it, I’ll return it and I’ll save up for a MacBook instead.

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
My guess is May 20. Simple reason. The Macbook Air, iPad pro, and iPhone SE were announced on the 3rd Wednesdays of March and April. So I'm guessing the 3rd week of May.

Reactions: unoporfavor

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
That's really interesting! Thanks for writing it in a clear and concise manner!
I am looking at the MBP that comes out shortly (either the refreshed 13 or a whole new 14), and it's something I will test before accepting!
Cheers
The 13/14" won't have the issue because it only has the GPU integrated in the CPU. The issue is with the separate, more powerful dGPU in the 16" and then only when connected to an external screen. It's a silly thing really because my 6 year old 13" is buckling under the extra load with homeworking and I could really use an 8-core. But I need to work with an external screen a lot... I would buy a refurb in a jiffy otherwise!

unoporfavor

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2020
The 13/14" won't have the issue because it only has the GPU integrated in the CPU. The issue is with the separate, more powerful dGPU in the 16" and then only when connected to an external screen. It's a silly thing really because my 6 year old 13" is buckling under the extra load with homeworking and I could really use an 8-core. But I need to work with an external screen a lot... I would buy a refurb in a jiffy otherwise!
OK good to know! I have a 15" MBP now but I other than the keyboard being atrocious, I don't love the size of it. Screen still isn't large enough for documents side by side etc. Will you wait for the 13/14" to be released or the next version of the 16"?

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Next 16" is probably end of the year so I'm leaning towards getting the 16" now anyway. I need much more power now than I used to (Linux VMs+Windows in Parallels+ the regular mac stuff at the same time). I'll wait and see if a refurb 8-core/32/2tb comes along.

Aleco

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
I'm looking to upgrade my 2010 13' MPB. What's a better option to go for ? 1TB/8gb or 512/16GB. I'm just an average user, don't know too much about computer as some of you guys here. In terms of use, consume multimedia quite a bit, web browsing and typing documents for uni etc.

Remember: You can't upgrade your SSD, but can always store files on external SSD's/HD's or the cloud. The RAM you get is on there for good.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If Apple releases another 13" MacBook Pro, they'll be the laughing stock of the industry. They could just let the production line end in a landfill. And I hope, they know that.
It's always been a bit of an odd computer. Realistically the 13" has just been a glorified ultrabook, it's not the same class of computer as the 16" despite being classified under the same brand (and just as pricey when equalised with the i7, 16GB RAM and matching the storage to the entry 15/16"). Apple's whole MacBook lineup could do with a ground-up rethink so it makes some sort of sense, and to broaden it's appeal rather than the current duplication of machines in the 13" thin and light class to the neglect of almost anything else. Hopefully the Arm transition will bring that in tow.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Why ? the vast majority of windows laptops aren't surfaces, and used by most people in the "workplace", going for brands like dell, hp, lenovo, or even samsung, acer or whatever, I don't think there are potential issues compared to a surface.
Not to mention Surfaces (aside from the recent laptop 3) have tended to be hermetically sealed with absolutely zero serviceability, unlike the majority of Windows laptops that at least allow user SSD, WiFi and RAM replacement. They might be better built, have better drivers, but if something hardware based does go wrong it's time to throw yourself on Microsoft's mercy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.