Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
From the leaks we can assume the following for WWDC, right?
  • macOS 10.16
  • iOS/iPadOS 14
  • watchOS 7
  • AirTags
  • Over-Ear Headphones
  • Some kind of ARM laptop
Anything I missed?
I think you'll get a 14 inch MBP at WWDC but I'd say 50/50 wether it's arm or not. It doesn't feel like things are ready on fat software side to do that.

trojans10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
I bought a 5k monitor the other day with the plan to use it on the new macbook that gets released... what sucks is i'm still using my supped up 2012 macbook pro that is going strong... but the 5k monitor doesn't support it! BLAH. Lets get this new macbook released already. Waiting a long time for it!

Reactions: surf4peace

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
The refurbed 16 is a great deal £2039 I think? The only issue for me is it’s a lot less portable than a 13/14” model especially when I’ll be carrying it about pretty much all day everyday. My friend got one recently and that’s his big concern about using it for uni as it’s fairly heavy.
Things can get pretty heavy when you cycle a lot. I used to haul half a gallon(1.85L) bottle with me for a 7 hour trip of non-stop cycling. On my way back, after 4 hours of cycling, i was feeling how every gram of water was hurting my back. I had to drink it, so the weight went down from 2lbs to 1lbs. And that was such a relief!
So weight difference between 13 vs 16 will be noticeable if you will haul it around 4+ hours non-stop - walking or cycling.
Otherwise, weight difference is negligible, especially if we think of laptops from 2011 or 2015 designs, which were much bulkier.

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Thoughts on the following article, titled:

'3DMark confirms 28 W processor for next MacBook Pro; up to 32 GB of RAM and a 4 TB SSD too, but no Ryzen 4000 Renoir options'

eimis993

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
The refurbed 16 is a great deal £2039 I think? The only issue for me is it’s a lot less portable than a 13/14” model especially when I’ll be carrying it about pretty much all day everyday. My friend got one recently and that’s his big concern about using it for uni as it’s fairly heavy.
I have the same feeling about the portability. If not that I dont think I even would wait for new 13/14inch. But if the price will be similar for similar specs, then it just will not make sense to get the new 13/14 where with 16 u will get bigger screen and dedicated gpu for the same price.

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
the rumours (rumors) swirl around. I gave up waiting and bought a 2020 MBA because I have been using a 2015 MBA with Xcode for months (due to Apple retiring my MBP, no Catalina) and it's been fine. I'm more concerned about what happens if they move Mac to ARM chips. Apple will need to be very well prepared or it will be a total pain.

Random_uninteresting_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
Do you guys think they will actually present an ARM macbook at WWDC? I just figured they would announce plans and a strategy more than an actual product. If they already have one (or more) models ready, wouldn’t we have had more leaks about it from developers?

Either way, I hope we get a 14” MBP very soon. I am SO done with the Lenovo I have borrowed as a temporary replacement.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’m convinced for either the 13th or 20th this year judging by the last two launches it’s almost guaranteed to be a Wednesday. There’s arguments for both the 13th being that like the other two it would be 4 weeks apart. Argument for the 20th is also like the other two it is the 3rd week of the month. Either way by the end of the 20th I’m convinced we’ll have a new smaller MacBook Pro with magic keyboard, 10th gen CPUs, faster ram, better value storage and a 32gb ram option. Fingers crossed for the most wanted and most unknown feature in the 14” display
Don't know how much to read into things, but the 2015 MBP was launched on Tuesday 19th May, the 2019 Tuesday 21st May, so Tuesday 19th May 2020 would also be well precedented if that's how it works...

Do you guys think they will actually present an ARM macbook at WWDC? I just figured they would announce plans and a strategy more than an actual product. If they already have one (or more) models ready, wouldn’t we have had more leaks about it from developers?

Either way, I hope we get a 14” MBP very soon. I am SO done with the Lenovo I have borrowed as a temporary replacement.
Most likely to be a developer machine if they do, and even that seems quite unlikely. Kuo is saying early 2021 for the first consumer machines.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I think it’ll be a Wednesday launch either 13th or 20th. With regards to WWDC I think it’ll be presented very similar to the PowerPC transition. I think they’ll say we’re switching as it has better power per watt and that they can develop on their own timescale. Like that transition they’ll probably say they’re starting the product switch next year (they may announce the first arm product maybe a 12 inch MacBook) however they’ll say again like the last transition that they still have some exciting intel products (mini led and iMac Pro in q4) to come.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
In 2019, the May update was for desperately needed better cooling and the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard along with new chips for the mid- and upper-tier. Then later in July, the nTB came to an end for the entry-level along with similar updates to the upper tier 13” MBPs. Not sure if delays in Intel chips also played a factor for the staggered introduction.

I don’t know if there will be a need to have two updates this year for the smaller MBP. I feel the May release will let us know based on whether or not we see a similar pattern to 2019 of only certain tiers being refreshed while the other is left alone OR if all are updated at the same time. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple goes from 3 tiers to 2 tiers actually for no other reason then to consolidate the line. Post-WWDC should be focused on the 16”, Mini, and iMac hopefully. Seriously looking at the latter 2 in the near future.

As for the ARM MacBook that won’t have anything to do with the Pro line in 2020. What OS it will run and the timeline will remain to be seen at WWDC, but all initial rumors say that early 2021 is when the earliest for when the first machines will be available for sale.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I have the same feeling about the portability. If not that I dont think I even would wait for new 13/14inch. But if the price will be similar for similar specs, then it just will not make sense to get the new 13/14 where with 16 u will get bigger screen and dedicated gpu for the same price.
Personally I don’t think it’s the weight that’s the problem with the 16”. It’s the large footprint which makes it very impractical if you’re on the move or using it in places with limited space.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I agree that the weight is not an issue. Having owned 13", 15" and 16" I do prefer the additional screen space of the 16", especially for SW development. But I have basically given up on using the machine when traveling. The IPAD is what I use for that. As usual it comes down to you personal use case and your priorities what is best for you.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
There only seems to be one i7 28W version of the new processors from intel this year. How do you think it will compare to the 2.8 i7 in the current 4 port line up in the mbp 13?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
There only seems to be one i7 28W version of the new processors from intel this year. How do you think it will compare to the 2.8 i7 in the current 4 port line up in the mbp 13?
I think there will be marginal cpu performance increases with a significant graphics boost. However clock speeds will be lower at 2.3GHz 4.1GHz boost compared to the current speeds

mhuang2286

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
0% chance of ARM confirmed by the new benchmark leak. Also it would’ve got leaked by now if that was the case. Yeah it’s either going to get launched at WWDC or before. My guess is at WWDC. Developers love the 13/14 form factor and cheaper price than the 16. It will sell like hot cakes.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I have until the 31st to return my SL if I choose to do so. So, I’ll at least get an opportunity to see what Apple releases before I decide what to do. I’ll only be tempted if it’s a 14-inch screen. Otherwise, meh.

TheHurryKayne

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
i'm starting to think Apple won't cut entirely with Intel , ok Intel made a lot of reason to go for but Apple has a tons of Intel users , and counting with new Macbook pro 16 , Air and next 13-14 Pro..., so i think they will have a dual offerings , an IPAD OS EVOLVED ... and the Old Intel Mac Os... and with some kind of dialogue in both directions - compatibility between the 2 systems , such as as for now with Marzipan

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Are the mini led displays worth waiting for? Will they make that much of a difference? I am guessing we have to wait till next year for mini led. I personally don't care much for ARM processors.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.