Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Why ? the vast majority of windows laptops aren't surfaces, and used by most people in the "workplace", going for brands like dell, hp, lenovo, or even samsung, acer or whatever, I don't think there are potential issues compared to a surface.
I live near a Microsoft Store, which is a huge reason to buy a Surface for me in case anything goes wrong with the laptop. Walk-in repairability, not mail-in, is a must for me. As a student, that’s a huge benefit for me.

Reactions: Jayderek

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
I live near a Microsoft Store, which is a huge reason to buy a Surface for me in case anything goes wrong with the laptop. Walk-in repairability, not mail-in, is a must for me. As a student, that’s a huge benefit for me.

I think the surface laptop 3 has the best keyboard of any laptop. and a great form factor for the screen (3:2). it could be a better laptop in terms of software and windows is not ideal for all, but it's a great device.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm enjoying the laptop (especially the keyboard), but Windows is definitely more clunky than MacOS, though it's not "rotten to the core," as one user described it to be. I'll give it two weeks and go from there.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I'm enjoying the laptop (especially the keyboard), but Windows is definitely more clunky than MacOS, though it's not "rotten to the core," as one user described it to be. I'll give it two weeks and go from there.
Take your time with it. Sure you will get use to it. After all most of the time we spend our time on the apps and not dealing with the OS itself.

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
how many real chances to see the new MacBook Pro in may?

I read about the likely imminent release and canceled the MacBook Air 2020 order

I need soon....

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
how many real chances to see the new MacBook Pro in may?

I read about the likely imminent release and canceled the MacBook Air 2020 order

I need soon....

Strong chance going off the leaks online.

Most likely 3rd week of may.

Hopefully a 14 inch mini led redesign.

Not holding my breath though most likely be a refreshed 13 inch with scissor keyboard.

14 inch mini led most likely towards the end of the year.

Reactions: Tekguy0

massy72

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2017
unluckily I can’t wait the end of the year...
I need to take now... :)
Thanks for the reply

FastLaneJB

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
unluckily I can’t wait the end of the year...
I need to take now... :)
Thanks for the reply

I think there’s a very strong chance it comes in May but maybe at worst announced in WWDC keynote. However if they are going ARM for Mac OS I feel they’d not want to announce that and also a new Intel MacBook Pro at the same time. Kind of ruins the messaging if you ask me.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
I use both and i feel way more comfortable with Windows. I really like windows 10, its stable and i never had any problems. On the other hand MacOs is easier to use for the normal day to day usage. But nowadays most of the thing happen in the browser so the OS ist not important.

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I think there’s a very strong chance it comes in May but maybe at worst announced in WWDC keynote. However if they are going ARM for Mac OS I feel they’d not want to announce that and also a new Intel MacBook Pro at the same time. Kind of ruins the messaging if you ask me.

Agreed. Assuming a ARM MacBook will be revealed at the WWDC keynote, the messaging will be very interesting. Will the ARM MacBook be presented as a 12" MacBook replacement (which is my feeling)? How will the ARM MacBook be positioned compared to an iPad with keyboard (MacOS vs iPadOS)? And how will the ARM MacBook perform compared to the MacBook Pros under different uses (the million dollar question)?

Reactions: Tekguy0

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
If they release a 13' with scissor keyboard most likely it will be in May, even Apple knows it'll be shameful to put such a product in the WWDC and doesn't warrant them wasting everyones time with such bullcrap. The only issue is it's online this year so it doesn't matter what people think, for all they care you could be screaming of the top of your lungs at the useless piece of crap they release. Then again the people that go to these events cheer and clap for anything and everything, they're probably Apple paid stooges.

Anything more than just a keyboard refresh I reckon they'd want to flaunt it out for the event. Even if it's just an increase in screen size.

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
If they release a 13' with scissor keyboard most likely it will be in May, even Apple knows it'll be shameful to put such a product in the WWDC and doesn't warrant them wasting everyones time with such bullcrap.
At WWDC, they'll probably just pretend the Butterfly never happened, and go on to talk about how devs can use the iPad Pro's fancy new Lidar sensor and the next OS releases, and maybe we'll get some new iMacs or something.

Reactions: AgentMcGeek

stlow

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2020
From the leaks we can assume the following for WWDC, right?
  • macOS 10.16
  • iOS/iPadOS 14
  • watchOS 7
  • AirTags
  • Over-Ear Headphones
  • Some kind of ARM laptop
Anything I missed?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
From the leaks we can assume the following for WWDC, right?
  • macOS 10.16
  • iOS/iPadOS 14
  • watchOS 7
  • AirTags
  • Over-Ear Headphones
  • Some kind of ARM laptop
Anything I missed?
I think that’ll be it. ARM will probably get a large segment on top of the laptop

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm surprisingly enjoying my Surface Laptop. The OS is more clunky than MacOS, but there's nothing inherently awful about it, despite what many MacOS users would like you to believe. There a few features that I prefer in comparison to MacBooks that I've owned: the keyboard is marvelous (such a silky typing experience); the even bezels (though they are a tad too thick); the Taskbar and Start menu (very convenient); the touch screen (I'm surprised by how often I use it); the magnetic charger (*why* did Apple switch to a non-magnetic charger??); and I like the Face ID-like login (as soon as I open the lid, the face scanning takes just seconds, and I'm automatically in). For $1000, I'm quite happy, though it's only been two days.

Even if Apple releases the 14-inch in a week or two (doubtful, knowing Apple), I might just stick with the SL. There's just touches to Windows 10 that I'm getting used to that I would miss if I switched back. Crazy.

Also, I was a little worried about the touchpad, but it's great. I have no problems with it and feels just like a MacBook touchpad. The entire hardware just feels so well made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abaganov

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
if its 13, im just going to order refurb base 16inch im pretty sure
The refurbed 16 is a great deal £2039 I think? The only issue for me is it’s a lot less portable than a 13/14” model especially when I’ll be carrying it about pretty much all day everyday. My friend got one recently and that’s his big concern about using it for uni as it’s fairly heavy.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...14-inch-Redesign-Release-Date-New-Screen-Size

Kind of a boiler plate article but it does say...

Last year's MacBook Pro update was on May 21st.
I’m convinced for either the 13th or 20th this year judging by the last two launches it’s almost guaranteed to be a Wednesday. There’s arguments for both the 13th being that like the other two it would be 4 weeks apart. Argument for the 20th is also like the other two it is the 3rd week of the month. Either way by the end of the 20th I’m convinced we’ll have a new smaller MacBook Pro with magic keyboard, 10th gen CPUs, faster ram, better value storage and a 32gb ram option. Fingers crossed for the most wanted and most unknown feature in the 14” display

Mikeyde1989

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I’m convinced for either the 13th or 20th this year judging by the last two launches it’s almost guaranteed to be a Wednesday. There’s arguments for both the 13th being that like the other two it would be 4 weeks apart. Argument for the 20th is also like the other two it is the 3rd week of the month. Either way by the end of the 20th I’m convinced we’ll have a new smaller MacBook Pro with magic keyboard, 10th gen CPUs, faster ram, better value storage and a 32gb ram option. Fingers crossed for the most wanted and most unknown feature in the 14” display

Please Apple just charge my credit card already!

• Wow
Reactions: ModusOperandi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.