Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The reason why I think it will be an iPadOS Macbook is how Apple seems to be shifting what the iPad is. As well as all the rumors of possibly XCode and Final Cut maybe coming to the iPad. I'll admit I could be wrong. And probably dead wrong lol. If it's OSX running on ARM, I do hope they can come up with a way to run OSX apps in emulation. The ARM chips might be fast enough to do it.

Apple has Catalyst for developers to port iPadOS apps to become native MacOS apps. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have, internally, some kind of expansion of Catalyst or additional software like that for helping developers port x86 apps to ARM or have x86 apps be able to run on ARM Macs until developers optimize their softwares for ARM directly. It's exactly what they did with the PowerPC to Intel transition with the Rosetta software that enabled some PowerPC software to run on, at the time, new Intel Macs. We obviously don't know the details of how Apple plans to do this transition, but they absolutely have some solution to ease the transition in store. This isn't going to be some cold turkey switch with no bridge to x86 compatibility. Apple has made questionable decisions before but they aren't that crazy/dumb to just drop Intel/x86 with no thought put into easing the transition period.

Reactions: KarmaRocket

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
This is a little out there, but anyone consider that the 13” MBP refresh is gonna have the ARM chip?
At first glance it seems unlikely (I still think it is) but why the delay updating the 13” MBP while the air and 15/16 got updated with relatively little fanfare?

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
I don't think people on MB12 or MBA would particularly miss Bootcamp or x86 compatibility.

Agree. My point was more towards an ARM MBP.

ARM MacOS would be sweet on an MBA or iPad. An iPad that could switch between iPadOS and MacOS with a swipe would be serious.

Reactions: AgentMcGeek

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Do you guys think the ARM might be just added as optional CPU upgrade for people who want more power and don't mind losing the windows 10 option? I know for me losing that option would be a deal breaker and there are many more like me, not sure apple is willing to lose all those customers.

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
I doubt you can choose. That kind of choice doesn't seem very Apple. Since 'their way is the way'. Also, it would be hard to manage both architectures software wise.

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
Agree. My point was more towards an ARM MBP.

ARM MacOS would be sweet on an MBA or iPad. An iPad that could switch between iPadOS and MacOS with a swipe would be serious.

Latest rumours mention three different ARM models at the low-end, with high-end MBP staying on x86. Which is the smartest way to do it imho.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’ve been thinking. The air and iPad refresh happened on a Wednesday. Four weeks later to the day the SE gets announced so theoretically four weeks to that day May 13th we may get the 13” refresh ironically. Just a theory but hopefully it’ll happen. Either then or the 20th I’m expecting it

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
I’ve been thinking. The air and iPad refresh happened on a Wednesday. Four weeks later to the day the SE gets announced so theoretically four weeks to that day May 13th we may get the 13” refresh ironically. Just a theory but hopefully it’ll happen. Either then or the 20th I’m expecting it

I think it will be announced on May 13 too. iPad Pro, Macbook Air, and iPhone SE were all announced on the third week of March/April.

Mikeyde1989

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Jesus I hope you’re right! Waiting for this 14” MBP has become my latest obsession in isolation haha

AndreasM

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
I hope you're right with the May release dates. I'm starting a new job on 1st of June and need a MBP 13 for it and would be a bit sad to pick up the 2019 one just to have the 2020 refresh (or even 14) released days/weeks after. Does anyone has any experience of how quickly the new models usually are available after launch? How fast was it with the 16 inch release this autumn?

And what's the return policy from Apple if you pick up an old model and they release a new one days or weeks after? Since there's still a risk that they push the releases to WWDC or even later into the summer.

Migranya

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
I hope you're right with the May release dates. I'm starting a new job on 1st of June and need a MBP 13 for it and would be a bit sad to pick up the 2019 one just to have the 2020 refresh (or even 14) released days/weeks after. Does anyone has any experience of how quickly the new models usually are available after launch? How fast was it with the 16 inch release this autumn?

And what's the return policy from Apple if you pick up an old model and they release a new one days or weeks after? Since there's still a risk that they push the releases to WWDC or even later into the summer.

I think they give you 2 weeks to return it, but on Amazon I think they give you one month.

Check it because I’m speaking without being 100% sure.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think they give you 2 weeks to return it, but on Amazon I think they give you one month.

Check it because I’m speaking without being 100% sure.
Apple are often a bit more lenient when you want to swap a recently purchased model that has just been refreshed as well. Sometimes for purchases up to a month prior, though I guess I probably wouldn't bank on this too much as it's goodwill rather than official policy.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow

I’m not 100% but as far as I’m aware the MacBook Air was available to order as soon as it was announced so if we get a May 13th announcement you could be opening a New Pro within a week

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Wild theory but could they keep a 13” model for the £1299 model to keep the costs lower whilst upgrading the higher end model to 14”. That could encourage more people to upgrade to the higher end model potentially increasing profits. That could also explain the conflicting rumours about screen sizes

jercompton

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016

I have a really good feeling that the Macbook Pro will be released in May, in time for your new job. However, if you are waiting specifically for the screen upgrade, it might not happen.

• Angry
Reactions: ModusOperandi

AndreasM

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
I have a really good feeling that the Macbook Pro will be released in May, in time for your new job. However, if you are waiting specifically for the screen upgrade, it might not happen.

New screen would be nice but it's mainly the power of the 10th gen processors and the keyboard that I want. I would have gone for the 2020 MBA if it wasn't that it doesn't look to handle more intense work like system development that well. I hope that the new MBP 13 will be perfect combination of portability, speed/power but still keeping cold and silent.

Let's hope for the 13th, the 20th will be scary close to my start date.

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
New screen would be nice but it's mainly the power of the 10th gen processors and the keyboard that I want. I would have gone for the 2020 MBA if it wasn't that it doesn't look to handle more intense work like system development that well. I hope that the new MBP 13 will be perfect combination of portability, speed/power but still keeping cold and silent.

Let's hope for the 13th, the 20th will be scary close to my start date.

I completely agree. what really matters is the processor and the keyboard. A better screen would be nice ( I still think that it will be a 14 inch screen) but that is not a dealbreaker.

Last edited:

overlof

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
As Apple user since 2013, who was happy with macbooks until touchbar era, who struggles with tbMBP 15" 2016, which has hardware, design, usability, fixability flaws(uncomfortable touchbar(for me), keyboard, flexgate issues, UI lags on HD 530 Graphics, low resale value, shorter battery life then retina MacBook Pros, fear of forgetting dongle, too loud keyboard sound) and after reading threads about heat problems on 2020 Airs, GPU panic in 16" and touchbar is still being there, I am leaving Apple. Good luck, guys.

Reactions: c0ppo and Abaganov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.