Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scorcher

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
But that's exactly what they did with the 2019 15 inch in the summer and then the 16 inch in the fall! I should know, I'm one of the suckers who bought (mind you, out of necessity at the time) the high spec 15 2.4/32/1TB for a lot more money than a similar 16 is configured. You know what though? It's rock solid super stable unlike some of the 16 inch nonsense going around and I even don't mind the refined butterfly on the 2019s.

It’s not exactly the same situation like the upgrade of the 15 inch. When they upgraded the 15 inch they gave it a new cpu before the changed the design a few months after. This time the 13 inch pro is the only laptop to not receive the new keyboard. Apple is already going to need to invest atleast a little in a redesign as we saw that the magic keyboard required a minimum case redesign for the air (its slightly thicker than the 2019 model). I can’t see them designing a slightly thicker case for the 13 inch pro and than designing a new case for the 14 inch pro in a few months. I also don’t think that they would just leave the 13 inch pro with the same old butterfly keyboard.

So as I see it there are 2 options now:
1. release a new 13 inch/14 inch pro in the next few months with a new keyboard and not release a new pro model for almost a year
2. wait Until the end of the year to realest the new 14 inch pro.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
But that's exactly what they did with the 2019 15 inch in the summer and then the 16 inch in the fall! I should know, I'm one of the suckers who bought (mind you, out of necessity at the time) the high spec 15 2.4/32/1TB for a lot more money than a similar 16 is configured. You know what though? It's rock solid super stable unlike some of the 16 inch nonsense going around and I even don't mind the refined butterfly on the 2019s.
The difference with this is that the 16” has already received the so called new design with new keyboard and thinner bezels so it would make sense to bring that to the smaller design. It seems more illogical than last year to delay the new design when there’s a product that already features it

Reactions: ascender

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Tbh it's Apple, they'll do what they want and not give a damn about what people think. They can release a 13' today and the 14' the following week and people will still flock to buy it. ?

Reactions: mbaire

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
Tbh it's Apple, they'll do what they want and not give a damn about what people think. They can release a 13' today and the 14' the following week and people will still flock to buy it. ?

Exactly. At this point I trust what the chinese leaker said but I really hope he is wrong this time. There is no strong leak that 14” really exists at this moment and we may have to wait until end of year. Even Jon Prosser himself never said it’s going to be 14” next month, just a big possibility.

eimis993

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
At this point, im so tempted to just get refurbished 16". It feels like its just gonna be updated 13inch which specced with 16gb ram and 512ssd, will be close to the price of refurbished 16".

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
Is the RAM in current MBP's non-upgradable ? I have usually upgraded MACs in the past but I wondered if the current generation are made with 'soldered on' chips. If it's non-upgradable I will fork out for 16 Gb otherwise will get 8 Gb if I can upgrade later.

I'm waiting a few weeks only to see what news of the fabled 2020 MBP 13/14 machine and if it's not coming in May I will just get the new Air once all the reviews are out. I mainly use Xcode which works fine in a 2015 i5 MBA with 4Gb ram.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
It’ll be annoying to have waited this long to not get the 14” display but like what has been said above Jon referred to it as a 13” Refresh with a likely screen bump. The fact that he and know one else for that matter knows for sure that it will be 14” makes me think it’ll be staying the same especially considering it was meant to be released this month but has been delayed.

Reactions: SvenLorenz1975

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I know the focus here has been on a 13"/14" MacBook Pro, but I'm wondering how people feel about an update to the 16" before at the WWDC? For me, I don't care if the specs increases are insignificant, but I am hoping that some of the first gen bugs are worked out.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I know the focus here has been on a 13"/14" MacBook Pro, but I'm wondering how people feel about an update to the 16" before at the WWDC? For me, I don't care if the specs increases are insignificant, but I am hoping that some of the first gen bugs are worked out.

I could see it getting a spec bump this year, but other than that I wouldn't expect to see any changes.

What bugs are you referring to btw?

Last edited:
Reactions: AFPBoy

AFPBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
I could see it getting a spec bump this year, but other than that I wouldn't expect to see any changes.

What bugs are you referring to btw?

Bugs is probably a bad word - issues might be better. Specifically I'm concerned about problems connecting the device to an external display, coil whine and speakers. For the latter two, I'm hoping it's not something I would notice or have problems with, and for the first one I'm hoping it's a software issue.

As for the spec bump - do you guess it will occur during the WWDC/in June, or in October?

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Hey everyone, also on the same boat waiting for a 14 inch MacBook Pro.
Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they’ll release the 14 inch next month :(
I’m guessing it’ll release with mini-led alongside the new 16 inch later this year?

What were some of the leaks before the 16 inch released? If the 14 inch was imminent then I feel like we would’ve seen more references to it in the latest MacOS beta.

What does that have to do with the MacBook Pro? I believe there are 2 versions of the AirPods that are expected, one for next month with a MacBook Pro and this one mentioned in the article

mbaire

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2020
Spain
Copy paste from Apple newsroom about WWDC 2020:
“With all of the new products and technologies we’ve been working on, WWDC 2020 is going to be big,” said Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering.”

“New products we’ve been working on”?

Apple people/engineers should laugh a lot watching us speculate about the future on the forums

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Officially sent my 16 back. With being stuck at home anyways I’m just gonna wait for a new 13 to come out and be available refurb.

benobi

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2016
Unfortunately, it does look like the tide is turning on a 14” MBP happening in May. Looks like it will stay 13” until the end of the year. I’m super bummed about this, but even the MacRumors guide has been updated saying that they can’t find any evidence for a 14” update in May.

I, for one, will pass on upgrading if it stays 13”. Especially with likely ARM announcements at WWDC that could shake up the whole lineup. My anticipation is for them to re-introduce the 12” MacBook at WWDC, now with ARM and a fall release. That smaller form factor will really take advantage of the ARM processors offering fantastic battery life and speed-per-watt. They’ll probably stick with Intel in the MBPs for the next year or two to allow time for Pro specific software to to be rebuilt.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Unfortunately, it does look like the tide is turning on a 14” MBP happening in May. Looks like it will stay 13” until the end of the year. I’m super bummed about this, but even the MacRumors guide has been updated saying that they can’t find any evidence for a 14” update in May.

I, for one, will pass on upgrading if it stays 13”. Especially with likely ARM announcements at WWDC that could shake up the whole lineup. My anticipation is for them to re-introduce the 12” MacBook at WWDC, now with ARM and a fall release. That smaller form factor will really take advantage of the ARM processors offering fantastic battery life and speed-per-watt. They’ll probably stick with Intel in the MBPs for the next year or two to allow time for Pro specific software to to be rebuilt.
Meh. Apple’s direction feels confusing and lost.

I need a computer ASAP since I have a huge test coming up in June that requires a computer (I only have an iPad). I don’t want a 13-inch screen. I guess I’ll be saving up for a Surface Laptop. Plus, I just love the typing experience on the SL in comparison to the new updated ~Magic Keyboard~.

esphil

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Meh. Apple’s direction feels confusing and lost.

I need a computer ASAP since I have a huge test coming up in June that requires a computer (I only have an iPad). I don’t want a 13-inch screen. I guess I’ll be saving up for a Surface Laptop. Plus, I just love the typing experience on the SL in comparison to the new updated ~Magic Keyboard~.
I have a i5 macbook air on the way and I'm kinda regretting ordering it after all of these reviews on the cooling issues. I might just end up getting a refurb 16". I just didn't want something so large originally but it might be the best machine for me.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I have a i5 macbook air on the way and I'm kinda regretting ordering it after all of these reviews on the cooling issues. I might just end up getting a refurb 16". I just didn't want something so large originally but it might be the best machine for me.

i just got my i5 MacBook Air last week and I generally like it. The fan went crazy a couple times initially and it’s been warm at times, but nothing exceptionally bad.
Still, for my needs (graphic design and iOS development) I‘ve always used a MacBook Pro, my old one died and I had to get the Air.

I’m conflicted now. Looks like more and more likely it’s gonna be a 13 inch MBP in May, not sure if I should return my Air and hope it’s a 14 inch, or keep my Air and wait for the 14 inch later this year.
Any suggestions?

Reactions: ascender
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.