Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I have one word for you guys: XEON

The 16" will have the Xeon E-2276M or the Xeon E-2286M. They are 45 watt parts, and the new Dell Precision 7540 has them. With up to 128GB of ram (like the 7540). And able to drive multiple Pro Display XDR's.

This will be a serious mobile companion to the Mac Pro. THAT is the market these will chase.

I love how you doubled down on this by just making your name XeonMBP. This does sound very viable. Server parts will also get better priority from Intel in terms of node transitions than a theoretical 45W mobile part, which would help this machine in the long run.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I love how you doubled down on this by just making your name XeonMBP. This does sound very viable. Server parts will also get better priority from Intel in terms of node transitions than a theoretical 45W mobile part, which would help this machine in the long run.

A product like this would bring in new Apple customers. This market is currently only served by Windows and Linux and it's the space I'm looking at. The Windows machines in this space are big, clunky, look like crap and weigh a ton. But they get the job done.

cram501

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Ashburn, VA
A product like this would bring in new Apple customers. This market is currently only served by Windows and Linux and it's the space I'm looking at. The Windows machines in this space are big, clunky, look like crap and weigh a ton. But they get the job done.

I'm curious, what kind of enterprise support does Apple have? I've never dealt with Apple on an enterprise level.

Depending on enterprise support and the ability to update the configuration, I'm not sure I would invest that much in an Apple xeon laptop for business.... at least not until they improve their quality and/or make it so I can update some hardware (hdd and memory specifically).

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm curious, what kind of enterprise support does Apple have? I've never dealt with Apple on an enterprise level.

Depending on enterprise support and the ability to update the configuration, I'm not sure I would invest that much in an Apple xeon laptop for business.... at least not until they improve their quality and/or make it so I can update some hardware (hdd and memory specifically).

We offer employees Lenovo and 13 inch MacBook Pros. We do have enterprise support including support contracts and guaranteed response and repair times. I think that Apple subcontracts it out to local companies. We also have one employee expert who deals with setting them up and getting hardware for them. He often asks me to help out another employer when they have issues. So there is enterprise support but I don't know exactly how it works.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Question out of curiosity: As someone who mainly uses Sketch and occasional movie editing, what advantages would a Xeon Mobile processor give me? I feel excited about a bigger screen and design changes, not so much though for paying premium for something I most likely don't need at all. Isn't that a whole another target audience? I feel as if that's not the Macbook Pro segment anymore, but rather a 'Pro Pro'. Or the current MBP shouldn't have been labeled Pro in the first place.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Question out of curiosity: As someone who mainly uses Sketch and occasional movie editing, what advantages would a Xeon Mobile processor give me? I feel excited about a bigger screen and design changes, not so much though for paying premium for something I most likely don't need at all. Isn't that a whole another target audience? I feel as if that's not the Macbook Pro segment anymore, but rather a 'Pro Pro'. Or the current MBP shouldn't have been labeled Pro in the first place.

You don't need Xeon to get 128 GB of RAM. Lots of other laptops offer 128 GB of RAM with non-Xeon processors.

The usual benefits to Xeon are the ability to run multi-processor (Apple isn't going to offer that in their laptops), and some level of circuitry to deal with random noise compared to their regular processors.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
INTEL HAS CONFIRMED that its 9th gen Cpu can support up to 128GB of RAM. But even so apple will not offer 128gb ram,maybe 64

Reactions: ScreenSavers

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
INTEL HAS CONFIRMED that its 9th gen Cpu can support up to 128GB of RAM. But even so apple will not offer 128gb ram,maybe 64

You've been able to order non-Xeon Intel processor laptops with 128 GB since at least 2018. Dell 7730, Lenovo P72, etc. 128 GB is no big deal in the Windows world.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
We dont care about windows oem
Whats next talking about workstations desktops etc we could put 128 gb ram since
Its ok that the 9th gen can supp up to 128 but since apple is mad about compact and thin we will get at most up to 64,ir is there 1 dim of 128 gb ram?
[doublepost=1563900658][/doublepost]The next big thing is eRAM

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
You've been able to order non-Xeon Intel processor laptops with 128 GB since at least 2018. Dell 7730, Lenovo P72, etc. 128 GB is no big deal in the Windows world.

I find this interesting. 8th gene mobile chips are listed as only supporting 64GB of RAM. That Dell 7730 has the 8300h in it by default and the button is there to select 128GB of RAM (4x32), but that's beyond the spect on ARK. Are we sure that 128 is recognized and able to be accessed?

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I find this interesting. 8th gene mobile chips are listed as only supporting 64GB of RAM. That Dell 7730 has the 8300h in it by default and the button is there to select 128GB of RAM (4x32), but that's beyond the spect on ARK. Are we sure that 128 is recognized and able to be accessed?

The answer that I found in the Lenovo forums is that Intel qualified with 16 GB DIMMs. The OEMs found that 32 GB DIMMs worked too. So they offer 4x32 GB DIMMs.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Are you sure that the 128 GB option on those laptop workstations doesn't require the Xeon? Everything I've seen that supports 128 GB also supports Mobile Xeon. Yes, the checkboxes appear when another processor is selected, but I wonder if trying to select Core and 128 GB together results in a flag that says "your RAM selection is not compatible with your processor selection - please select a maximum of 64 GB of RAM with this Core processor".

I haven't tried to configure one like that, so I'm not sure. I do know that those complex configuration screens pop up flags all the time - "this drive isn't compatible with that battery", even "this display isn't compatible with that webcam" (when it's not obvious that the webcam is even configurable).

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Officials 9th gen cpu supports...but like 8th cpu imacs officials supports 64gb ram but you can place 128...

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Are you sure that the 128 GB option on those laptop workstations doesn't require the Xeon? Everything I've seen that supports 128 GB also supports Mobile Xeon. Yes, the checkboxes appear when another processor is selected, but I wonder if trying to select Core and 128 GB together results in a flag that says "your RAM selection is not compatible with your processor selection - please select a maximum of 64 GB of RAM with this Core processor".

I haven't tried to configure one like that, so I'm not sure. I do know that those complex configuration screens pop up flags all the time - "this drive isn't compatible with that battery", even "this display isn't compatible with that webcam" (when it's not obvious that the webcam is even configurable).

The Lenovo P72 ordering page I was on didn’t offer Xeons but they did offer 128 GB.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
I'm so confused by the current supply rumours. Logic suggests it's coming in March 2020 but multiple rumours are pointing at October release.

sennomulo

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
I'm so confused by the current supply rumours. Logic suggests it's coming in March 2020 but multiple rumours are pointing at October release.
I agree that the traditional refresh cycle would normally dictate a refresh next year, not this year. But this is not a normal cycle. I think there is a crucial difference, namely that Apple is now releasing computers with a keyboard repair program on launch day. This is widely interpreted as admitting that the keyboards are still faulty; in the most charitable interpretation, they're acknowledging that you have reason to worry that the fourth iteration still might not fix the persistent issues and they want to give you some confidence to buy a machine with a maybe-broken-maybe-not keyboard. But remember that they were basically forced into that warranty program by the legal threat of class-action lawsuits. And last year Apple was reluctant to admit that the 2018 third generation butterfly keyboard was susceptible, only adding it to the program later. This year, new MacBooks are instantly added to the keyboard repair program.

This is disastrous from a PR perspective. My guess is Apple is trying to release the 2020-2024 design as fast as possible so they can stop giving out free top case warranties (it's got to be expensive for them). I think we've seen the butterfly design for as long as we have for three reasons: they have to plan redesigns years in advance, they really have to put in the proper R&D to make sure this next keyboard is right, and they were probably dragging their feet earlier because they genuinely thought they could tweak the butterfly keyboard into something good enough. It's apparent now that redesign is the only option for them, just from a marketing standpoint nevermind the engineering, and they must be desperate to sell new computers without the keyboard repair program. So why wouldn't they push out the new models a few months earlier if they've got all their ducks in a row?

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I had a revelation. I think I know what the redesigned MacBook Pro is gonna look like. We might see it this year starting with the 16 inch or next year. Look at the XDR Pro display. Apple is using a squared off look. This is what the next generation of MacBook Pro display will look like, similar to older PowerBook G4. No, its not gonna have the grills.

Its so obvious. The XDR looks like the older Aluminum Cinema Displays. Its gonna have a generic, thoughtless look. But I believe its going towards a future where its more about Pro look and feel. Also, what more can you do with a square anyway.

XeonMBP

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Mr. Dee is on the right track. Ive is out, and the new guy is making his mark.

The 16" MBP will look like the new Mac Pro and the XDR. Bright silver for days! Xeon chips + ECC + 'that grater look' = matched setup. Think: on set/location photo/video with large budgets. Ingest RAW there, maybe along with an XDR or two to go over your 'look', then tweak at home base on your matching Mac Pro.

This is definitely coming. The 'Pro Pro' era is upon us!
[doublepost=1564041780][/doublepost]In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 13" and 15" renamed 'Macbooks' in 2020. 3 lines: MB Air + MB (current pros) + MBP (new 16" pros). iPads on the low end, and something completely new (hybrid mac/ipad w/ arm chips) in the middle with a completely new name.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008

If you carefully read the Economic News Daily article (https://money.udn.com/money/story/5612/3945111) cited by MacRumours carefully, you will see the sentence, translated by Google -

"According to the previous example, Apple usually holds a Mac-related product presentation in October. The supply chain expects that this year's new machine will be released in October, which will be separated from the iPhone presentation in September"

Hence- the supply chain agrees on the specs of the upcoming MBP - but the predicted timing is based purely on previous events.

Reactions: gadgetfreaky

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I just want to know if the macbook pros out this year will have the option to be without touchbar or at least have a physical escape key, before the summer beats deal is over. Probably not, but that’s the leak I’m looking for. Scissor keys a close 2nd.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
If you carefully read the Economic News Daily article (https://money.udn.com/money/story/5612/3945111) cited by MacRumours carefully, you will see the sentence, translated by Google -

"According to the previous example, Apple usually holds a Mac-related product presentation in October. The supply chain expects that this year's new machine will be released in October, which will be separated from the iPhone presentation in September"

Hence- the supply chain agrees on the specs of the upcoming MBP - but the predicted timing is based purely on previous events.
The iphone release this year is fairly tame- sometimes the do other hardware in the ios event. So it could be Sept.
[doublepost=1564068273][/doublepost]
Mr. Dee is on the right track. Ive is out, and the new guy is making his mark.

The 16" MBP will look like the new Mac Pro and the XDR. Bright silver for days! Xeon chips + ECC + 'that grater look' = matched setup. Think: on set/location photo/video with large budgets. Ingest RAW there, maybe along with an XDR or two to go over your 'look', then tweak at home base on your matching Mac Pro.

This is definitely coming. The 'Pro Pro' era is upon us!
[doublepost=1564041780][/doublepost]In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 13" and 15" renamed 'Macbooks' in 2020. 3 lines: MB Air + MB (current pros) + MBP (new 16" pros). iPads on the low end, and something completely new (hybrid mac/ipad w/ arm chips) in the middle with a completely new name.
LOL no way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.