Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
OK, that doesn’t make a bit of sense. You just returned a 15 inch because it was too big and heavy but if the 16 inch comes out in the same body you will considerate it. Clue me an on how this makes any sense? :confused:

I can carry the 15 inches. It is not that too heavy. I mean if it is the same size and not that too big size to carry around I might buy it.

runningman99

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
We aren't sure about anything at this point. If you need a computer buy something cheap until the new one comes out or just pull the trigger now.

If the new 13” comes out soon, would it be super expensive (2,000+). I just bought the 1799 model, and the only reason I’d wait a few months longer for the new one is if it’s at the same price or less.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Remember that there are not even serious rumors about 45 watt 10nm parts... The CPUs will be the same ones from this summer or (less likely) the Xeon variants of those same CPUs. If we're really lucky, we'll see the 10nm chips next summer - if not, we'll see a YetAnotherLake 14nm CPU next summer, and the 10nm version in 2021. The desktop chips are confirmed to be on that schedule...

There will be plenty happening with the new machine, even with the same CPUs.
New keyboard
New case
New screen
New GPUs?
64 GB RAM option?

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Remember that there are not even serious rumors about 45 watt 10nm parts... The CPUs will be the same ones from this summer or (less likely) the Xeon variants of those same CPUs. If we're really lucky, we'll see the 10nm chips next summer - if not, we'll see a YetAnotherLake 14nm CPU next summer, and the 10nm version in 2021. The desktop chips are confirmed to be on that schedule...

There will be plenty happening with the new machine, even with the same CPUs.
New keyboard
New case
New screen
New GPUs?
64 GB RAM option?

To follow up on your comment
I think Apple has seen the writing on the wall - we are unlikely to get 10nm MBP-level CPUs from Intel until 2021. What does this mean?

For the next 2-3 years I think Apple is planning to use the upcoming chassis with the existing 14nm and YetAnotherLake cpus. They probably have worked hard on the thermals and its future proofed for the upcoming 10-12 core 14nm cpus, 64GB ram, bigger batteries, etc. In addition - I'm guessing they will include a T3 chip - or maybe some custom FPGA chip like in the Mac Pros - to further differentiate the product for professionals -and to justify the price increase. This leads to a natural transition over to their own ARM based CPUs in the 2022+ time frame, where they can transition over to new display technologies, etc. Intel is absolutely and undeniably behind TSCM now in fabrication technology and there is massive advantages for Apple to move entirely to TSCM both for full control of their hardware stack - AND now for the process advantage.

So to sum up - In my opinion - this will be the last Intel MBP :)

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
OK, that doesn’t make a bit of sense. You just returned a 15 inch because it was too big and heavy but if the 16 inch comes out in the same body you will considerate it. Clue me an on how this makes any sense? :confused:
never gonna happen, a few mm difference in each direction will be for sure..because thermals and battery life
and based on the resolution it will be around 16.4" so impossible to have 0.8" increase just by removing the bezels
But don't worry, i don't think it will pass 2kg in weight

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The battery may (and should) get a bit bigger, but Apple is held back by airline regulations... 99Wh is a maximum legal battery on a plane, and Apple's already at 84 Wh. They can get another 15%, but not more than that...

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
AnandTech just published the most comprehensive information on Ice Lake and Sunny Cove (10 nm) I have seen.

Takeaways:
No 45W chips - 5 to 28 watts (MBP 13", but NOT 15-16").
No 10nm chips above quad-core (there are 6 core,28w chips potentially coming out, but they're 14nm Comet Lake, not Ice Lake).
Thunderbolt 3 on chip
Large improvement in integrated graphics (but still less than 40% of the performance of the Vega 20 in the 15")

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
AnandTech just published the most comprehensive information on Ice Lake and Sunny Cove (10 nm) I have seen.

Takeaways:
No 10nm chips above quad-core (there are 6 core,28w chips potentially coming out, but they're 14nm Comet Lake, not Ice Lake).
Thunderbolt 3 on chip
Large improvement in integrated graphics (but still less than 40% of the performance of the Vega 20 in the 15")

Also from that article:

However, if we compare Ice Lake to Whiskey Lake, we see only a +3.5% increase in single threaded performance. For a generation-on-generation increase, that’s even lower than the four-year CAGR from Skylake. Some of you might be questioning why this is happening, and it all comes down to frequency.

Intel’s current 8th Gen Whiskey Lake, the i7-8565U, has a peak turbo frequency of 4.8 GHz. In 15W mode, we understand that the peak frequency of Ice Lake is under 4.0 GHz, essentially handing Whiskey Lake a ~20% frequency advantage.

So compared to Whiskey lake - which is even a generation before Coffee Lake - the IPC improvement is only 3.5%. And coupled with a 20% reduction in frequency, you are much better off with a 14nm CPU for the foreseeable future. The only intrinsic benefit I see in 10nm at this time is the support for LPDDR4. 10nm is looking more and more like a failed node...

ziyuel

Suspended
May 14, 2019
If 2019 is something you really want, get it. There’s no guarantee you’ll even be alive when the next MBP releases. That sounds morbid, but it’s true. Get what you want and enjoy it. You’ll always be able to sell the 2019 model to help cover some of the cost of the redesign.

track14

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2019
Does anybody think the current 13" design/keyboard will get another update before the new scissor key model?

XeonMBP

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
"up to 94W of host charging power" (new LG 5k) = Xeon (45W) + 64GB ECC + fancier display (maybe not XDR, but def XDR-esque)

Apple is all about the "Super Pro" now...

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
But why would anybody need a Xeon in a mobile machine?
A MacBook isn’t supposed to be used as a server, neither for ultra long work tasks. That’s what you got your desktop hardware for. I don’t get this obsession with putting ECC into a mobile device just to make it “professional” (push the price tag)

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Takeaways:
Thunderbolt 3 on chip

Jeez still not a good enough iGPU... Quite disappointed with the lack of 10nm above quad core.

Makes it easier for me to pick up the 16" at the end of the year I suppose.

But why would anybody need a Xeon in a mobile machine?
A MacBook isn’t supposed to be used as a server, neither for ultra long work tasks. That’s what you got your desktop hardware for. I don’t get this obsession with putting ECC into a mobile device just to make it “professional” (push the price tag)

There a few cases of people.. who work on mobile.. say for example one of my friends who worked in Endgame he had a mobile station for quick CGI editing over there and for some reason they used laptops instead of desktop

Last edited:
Reactions: eulslix

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
There a few cases of people.. who work on mobile.. say for example one of my friends who worked in Endgame he had a mobile station for quick CGI editing over there and for some reason they used laptops instead of desktop

Gotcha. Kind of a shame though, since Im really interested in this product, but I'll most likely end up spending money on something I don't really use (except maybe for ultra rare renderjobs now and then).
Well, with a bit of luck they'll put a cheaper CPU in the base configuration.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Gotcha. Kind of a shame though, since Im really interested in this product, but I'll most likely end up spending money on something I don't really use (except maybe for ultra rare renderjobs now and then).
Well, with a bit of luck they'll put a cheaper CPU in the base configuration.

Aye, I get. where you coming from! I wanna upgrade to a 15" because the 13" simply does not have enough headroom for dual 4k displays alongside the real estate space for split viewing many apps... However I'm not interested in 32GB... I'm afraid the new 16" will come with 32gb on the base model....

I'm just waiting to see what comes next, in the meanwhile I'm using the 13" in dock mode with 4 displays.

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
Do you guys think they will also launch a 14 inch MacBook Pro later this year?
Kinda weird that they are going to put a 16 inch screen in the 15 inch MacBook but not a 14 inch screen in the 13 inch MacBook, isn't it?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Do you guys think they will also launch a 14 inch MacBook Pro later this year?
Kinda weird that they are going to put a 16 inch screen in the 15 inch MacBook but not a 14 inch screen in the 13 inch MacBook, isn't it?
Maybe this will be like the first retina MBPs in 2012: the larger model releases first, then a smaller version comes half a year or so later.

There is a slight complication that if this is marketed as a very top-end Pro machine, there may not be the components available to sufficiently differentiate a hypothetical 14” MBP from a 13” MBP with thermal constraints etc. from a smaller form factor.

I presume if a 14” version doesn’t come, the 13” would still be updated with the new keyboard relatively soon (probably Spring 2020).

infinitejest

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
I presume if a 14” version doesn’t come, the 13” would still be updated with the new keyboard relatively soon (probably Spring 2020).

That's exactly what I'm hoping for!
I'm actually okay with a 13 inch screen, but I really hope that all sizes will get the new keyboard, not only the 16 inch pro machine. But yeah, since they just updated their machines, that probably won't happen before March 2020 or so. That's why I would get a 14 inch if it comes out this Fall!

Reactions: PaladinGuy

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Maybe this will be like the first retina MBPs in 2012: the larger model releases first, then a smaller version comes half a year or so later.

There is a slight complication that if this is marketed as a very top-end Pro machine, there may not be the components available to sufficiently differentiate a hypothetical 14” MBP from a 13” MBP with thermal constraints etc. from a smaller form factor.

Alongside a new redesign in 2020 most likely.. Especially for the 13" with the new 10nm CPUs coming in hot.

Let us hope in 2020 for a new product. I am a newbie to this site. I have read a few topics really interesting.

You talking about a whole line up redesign or a new model per say like the 16"?

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
For what it’s worth, I don’t believe the rumors. It makes no sense to introduce a redesign so soon after a refresh.
is a new product not a redesign...we never had 16.4" before
And it is time for Apple to start their new design language. The rumours are true since are from line of productions ,but again, still rumours until the official release

Reactions: Never mind

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
is a new product not a redesign...we never had 16.4" before
And it is time for Apple to start their new design language. The rumours are true since are from line of productions ,but again, still rumours until the official release

Plus thermal constraints in current chassis wouldn’t facilitate whatever crazy specs Apple might want to put in the new machine.

I’m all ears for a new bezeless screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.