Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
It would seem really strange to have both a refreshed 15" and a 16" MBP - that would seem to indicate a broadening of the MBP line from two models to three, with the third model added at the top end.

While that will be true on a temporary basis if they add the 16.4" without either refreshing or discontinuing the 15", they'd go back down to two current models in May when they added lower-end 16.4" options and discontinued the 15". They could also keep one unrefreshed 15" model at the bottom of the pile for another year - but that doesn't really count as a current model.

A serious refresh of the 15", on the other hand, indicates the intent to keep it (and a 3 model MBP line) for another full cycle. If they were to do that, I'd expect them to go to 17" for the top model, or to find some other way to differentiate it - computers that will be known as the 15" MBP and 16" MBP are too close (regardless of the actual distance between screen sizes, the decimal inches will be dropped, unless something like a 16.8" screen gets rounded to 17").

If Apple adds one notebook to what they currently manufacture (other than a 16" that's going to replace the 15", so not really an addition), a top-end third MBP is only the third (or possibly fourth) most likely machine I could see.

1.) An ultra,ultra light machine in the MacBook niche (can they go under 2 lbs, and by how much?) - will they do this this fall, using a new Ice Lake CPU, or will they wait and throw an ARM chip in it in a year or two?

2.) A super thin machine with a larger screen (15" MacBook? 15" MBA?) Right now, a big screen from Apple means a mobile workstation level H-series CPU and discrete graphics. There's a market that wants the screen, but not the power, and the upper end of Ice Lake lets them serve it - the integrated GPU is enough to run the big screen for many purposes. I suspect they can get a 15" laptop under 3 lbs - with a 28W CPU and no DGPU, they will save quite a bit of battery and cooling weight.

3.) A low-end student notebook - they haven't been consistent about having something at $999 or below - sometimes they have one and sometimes they don't (right now, they start at $1099 for the lowest-end Air).

4.) A third MBP permanently stationed above the 15" seems less likely than any of the above, or maybe as likely as the student notebook? I strongly believe the 16" is coming, but it's going to gradually replace the 15", which will wither without upgrades.

Note: a 15" MacBook or MBA allows the 16" MBP to start at a higher price, even after the 15" goes away. The role of the $2299 MBP 15" will be filled by the ($1999?) big and thin machine, letting the 16" start at $2499 or $2599.

complete speculation, but my best guess on pricing is:

Fall 2019 16" MBP - $3299 base price, but with a 16/1TB base configuration.
Spring 2020 16" MBP - $2599 model introduced, slower processor, 16/512 base - 15" discontinued. $3299 model goes to $3099, loses some little perk.
Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 15" MBA (or whatever they call it) - 28W Ice Lake - 16/256 base for $1999
Fall 2019 12" (or so) MB - slow Ice Lake - starts at $1499, $1649 for a cellular variant - 8/256 base

Reactions: Queru

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
complete speculation, but my best guess on pricing is:

Fall 2019 16" MBP - $3299 base price, but with a 16/1TB base configuration.
Spring 2020 16" MBP - $2599 model introduced, slower processor, 16/512 base - 15" discontinued. $3299 model goes to $3099, loses some little perk.
Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 15" MBA (or whatever they call it) - 28W Ice Lake - 16/256 base for $1999
Fall 2019 12" (or so) MB - slow Ice Lake - starts at $1499, $1649 for a cellular variant - 8/256 base

That's a really well thought out guess. I can see Apple doing this. The only question as you acknowledged is about which processor they throw into the 16 inch MBP.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
1.) An ultra,ultra light machine in the MacBook niche (can they go under 2 lbs, and by how much?) - will they do this this fall, using a new Ice Lake CPU, or will they wait and throw an ARM chip in it in a year or two?
Isn't that called an iPad Pro? Not that I generally fall into the camp of "an iPad can replace a Mac", but for the tasks such an "ultra ultra light" would be used for?

Reactions: HermanMunster

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Maybe... I could see them trying to use iPadOS in exactly that way - but are they more likely to release an iPad with a built-in keyboard, or to release a really light Mac? The Mac might be Intel for a while, which is a difference, but it's almost certainly the first Mac to go to ARM in 1-3 years. How different will a really light ARM Mac locked to the App Store be from an iPad?

I suspect ARM Macs will be locked to the App Store - I also suspect that we'll have both Intel and ARM Macs for a long time - I think ARM is for ultramobile and low-end Macs, not for MBPs and Mac Pros. Will ARM Macs be a different category in between iPads and traditional Macs, or will we see a merger in some form?

I'm notably skeptical of an ARM machine that loses Parallels and Boot Camp, requires recompiling Photoshop and gets its performance out of more, but slower cores fully replacing Intel Macs in the near or medium term (it certainly could show up as an ultra-mobile option).

Adobe has been very, very slow to move the big apps over at previous processor and OS changes - apparently Photoshop is a real bear to get running on new architectures (some of the other CC apps are too). Core creative users don't want Macs that pick up a lot of little single-purpose apps inherited from iOS, but lose a lot of performance on the big Adobe apps and other legacy stuff.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Isn't that called an iPad Pro? Not that I generally fall into the camp of "an iPad can replace a Mac", but for the tasks such an "ultra ultra light" would be used for?

When I’m looking to pack very light or just “small”, the iPad Pro with a Brydge keyboard or the Apple folio cover is perfect for this. For other times when I need to do things I can only do on macOS, I take the 13” MBP, because it’s really not that big or heavy - its amazing the size of that thing now.

I did think the 12” Macbook was going to be the first to get ARM chips, but I guess not. I do think that Apple think the iPad Pro fills that role now.

Last edited:

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
It should be so easy for Apple to clean up their notebook line with the upcoming redesign. This could be their product line by Q4 2020:

12 or 13" MBA -- $999 entry level student (well $899 for them) and budget MacBook, once again the obviously lightest and thinnest offering and easiest entry point into MacOS. Ice Lake Y? Speedy, quiet, small footprint, but lacks the oomph to do pro work. Bright color options abound.

14" MBP -- base and souped up models available, 4- and 8-core. Both need to have 4 TB ports. $1299/$1999 to start. No more 128 GB SSD starting point. Silver and SG remain.

16" MBP -- Like the iMac Pro, the Rolls Royce of its class. Except this one is not a bridge machine and will receive regular updates. Give it a color distinction (Return of the BlackBook?) to set it apart. Larger, more functional touchbar, vastly superior processing power and GPU. Brightest, most color accurate screen. And -- dare I say -- user upgradeable RAM. $2999-$5999. If released in the next few months, will have to start with the same processor as the current 8-core i9, I believe, but by next Christmas should be able to distinguish itself with something entirely more powerful. Will be thicker than any laptop Apple has released since 2015 to allow for a proper thermal solution.

All models will have new keyboards, and if one can dream, a breakaway magsafe-ish charging cable. FaceID for all would be nice as well. 1080p FaceTime cameras for at least the MBPs, too.

I believe this would make the majority of consumers happy. Clearly distinct product line that should suit the needs of most, if not all. Now will this or something like it actually happen? Oh hayell naww. We're going to have a mix of new and old generations of computers littering the Store. It would not shock me to see Apple, at some point next year or 2021, selling a 12", 13", 14", 15", and 16" laptop, all at the same time, all considered "current," before maybe cleaning **** up a year or two too late.

Reactions: ascender and cool11

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes we will have around 16.39" a bigger chassis to fit also besides the display, the larger around built-in 90-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery with around 95-96W charging to came tot that standard 10hours light usage battery life
So i guess it will have few mm in length and thickness, but not much...360mmx160-170mm(in thickness) and 2kg weight with probably Intel xeon E 45W
So its coming next month or October, the beginning of the macs laptops redesign

Last edited:

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Yes we will have around 16.39" a bigger chassis to fit also besides the display, the larger around built-in 90-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery with around 95-96W charging to came tot that standard 10hours light usage battery life
So i guess it will have few mm in length and thickness, but not much...360mmx160-170mm(in thickness) and 2kg weight with probably Intel xeon E 45W
So its coming next month or October, the beginning of the macs laptops redesign

None of this is guaranteed. Most likely there will be a new MBP a minimum of 16" screen diagonal, with all signs pointing to the same form factor. Thats all we know so far.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
What "same factor" means? the exact same mm as the 15"? that is impossible by physics standards

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
It's not, there would be around 0,1" left on each side.

It's only an 0.6" increase in the diagonal, so something like 0.4" wider. Im not sure how much smaller the bezel are on a 2019 compared to my 2011 model, but theres plenty of space left after expanding less than 0.6".

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
It's only an 0.6" increase in the diagonal, so something like 0.4" wider. Im not sure how much smaller the bezel are on a 2019 compared to my 2011 model, but theres plenty of space left after expanding less than 0.6".

I took the official width (13,752") from the Apple homepage and deduced the screen width calculated from a 16" diagonal (13,568"). The width is the limiting dimension in the case of the MBP.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Don't forget the screen case tapers towards the edge on MBPs as well, so unless they make it uniform thickness right the way to the edge (like the Razer Blade) the screen will have to stop well short. This also limits the room needed for FaceID.

Reactions: navaira

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
If no choice between touchbar and function keys, which I would prefer, how about both? I'd also be happy if they simply ditched the touchbar.

While those would be preferable options, I just don't see them as realistic possibilities.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Looking at the top end pricing of the 2018 vs 2019 MBP - seems with the price cuts of upgrades (RAM, SSD) - There's some space there to go higher as the full decked out 2019 is less expensive than 2018 - any thoughts on what upgrades they might have planned? Is there much Apple can offer for a CPU upgrade, and the GPU upgrade?
E.g. Would Apple aggressively move the matt option with nano-texture glass to the iMac Pro, MBP?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
So this is for those who just got, already or recently got a 15” MacBook Pro. What will you do ?
1-keep what you got?
2-return within window?
3-other

Just hard to know when the 16 will Be available. I’m hearing late Nov easiest from a pretty good source ......

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
You ask a question that is impossible to answer because no one other than people inside Apple know the details of the 16” model.

Everyone assumes newer means better but given the history that is not always the case, e.g. slower SSD in some newer MacBooks. It would be prudent to wait for a bunch of reviews, and if it’s something that is “oh wow this is an amazing machine” I’m sure a lot of folks will find a way to upgrade sooner rather than later. However, based on history the odds are heavily stacked in favor of “what was Apple thinking?” so I personally am not holding my breath for any Apple product.

Apple somehow reminds me of BMW. BMW successfully took the wow factor out of their cars while increasing the price. They lost a lot of enthusiasts in the process. Every time they release a new product, there is huge marketing hype around it, but when it gets reviewed it gets a yawn.

Reactions: g75d3

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
So this is for those who just got, already or recently got a 15” MacBook Pro. What will you do ?
1-keep what you got?
2-return within window?
3-other

Just hard to know when the 16 will Be available. I’m hearing late Nov easiest from a pretty good source ......

How much of a good source are we talking? Someone with inside knowledge or someone analysing with a good track record?

November would be pretty bad for me. I need a new laptop right now, but I'd be willing to wait an extra 1-2 months for the bigger screen and reliable keyboard. I hate the keyboard of the previous gen, I really don't want to go back to that thing again...

However, based on history the odds are heavily stacked in favor of “what was Apple thinking?” so I personally am not holding my breath for any Apple product.

I actually think the current gen in general are incredible machines, I'd take them any day over the previous gen. It's just the keyboard that they really ****ed up, and I still hope they'll iterate over the TouchBar on occasion.
I like what Apple has done most recently with its products, be it the iMac Pro, the Mac Pro, the XDR Pro display, the Apple Watch or the new iPad Pro (I only own the latter two). I'll trust them on this one.

Last edited:

bionic_arm

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2019
1-keep what you got?
2-return within window?
3-other

I just bought a maxed out 13" MBP. I was originally debating between a 13 and 15.

I am going to keep it until the 19th and then return it (as I am within the 14days) and then hold out for the new 16". I just have to hope it is September as I can't be without a laptop for 2 months.

bionic_arm

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2019
1-keep what you got?
2-return within window?
3-other

I just bought a maxed out 13" MBP. I was originally debating between a 13 and 15.

I am going to keep it until the 19th and then return it (as I am within the 14days) and then hold out for the new 16". I just have to hope it is September as I can't be without a laptop for 2 months.

Lashae

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I was waiting for 2020 also, but my 2011 MBP died on Sunday, and there was nothing that could be done for it, so I ended up upgrading today, and so far i'm blown away.

Reactions: kp98077

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Guess I'll return my new 2019 15" and wait for the 16" model.
Dont want to spend so much money on a device, that's EOL soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.