Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Guess I'll return my new 2019 15" and wait for the 16" model.
Dont want to spend so much money on a device, that's EOL soon

Why would you think a 2019 15" is EOL soon? Is this a joke or do you define 'end of life' differently? I really can't tell....the 2019 15" will be a well supported powerhouse for years so I'm baffled.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
Why would you think a 2019 15" is EOL soon? Is this a joke or do you define 'end of life' differently? I really can't tell....the 2019 15" will be a well supported powerhouse for years so I'm baffled.
Oh, unfortunately many sources point to EOL for 15” end of 2019 sadly.... a great machine!!

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018

EOL doesn't necessarily mean end of support, it just means Apple will stop producing, marketing and selling it, presumably because they'll replace it with the 16". Of course the 2019 15" will continue to be a well supported powerhouse for years, even if its EOL (from Apple's perspective) is coming soon. Much like how the 12" is still well supported for consumers despite being EOL.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Oh, unfortunately many sources point to EOL for 15” end of 2019 sadly.... a great machine!!

Just because they may stop producing a 15", why does that mean you need to return it? Your statement came across as if it's going to be a brick when (if) the 16" comes out. End of life typically means the product is nearing the end of its usefulness which is why your statement is confusing to me.

Reactions: ascender

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
Just because they may stop producing a 15", why does that mean you need to return it? Your statement came across as if it's going to be a brick when (if) the 16" comes out. End of life typically means the product is nearing the end of its usefulness which is why your statement is confusing to me.
Well, if given the option to return it or sell it now, I’m pretty sure most would return their 15” as the values will drop... that’s my point... believe me, I love the 15” amazing machine... hope they leave it IN the lineup, and stop messing with everything..

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018

It's perfectly reasonable to wait a month or two when a brand new redesigned model is expected to be coming out. The 2019 MBP that's currently on the market is a 3 year old design. Unless you absolutely need a laptop right away, it's the right move to wait for the new one. All the poster was saying is that they would rather wait for the new MBP to come out rather than having a laptop that might be EOL (being replaced by the 16" on the market) and therefore no longer the top of the line product that it is now. I'm not sure why you're making a big deal out of this.

Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
It's perfectly reasonable to wait a month or two when a brand new redesigned model is expected to be coming out. The 2019 MBP that's currently on the market is a 3 year old design. Unless you absolutely need a laptop right away, it's the right move to wait for the new one. All the poster was saying is that they would rather wait for the new MBP to come out rather than having a laptop that might be EOL (being replaced by the 16" on the market) and therefore no longer the top of the line product that it is now. I'm not sure why you're making a big deal out of this.

I'm not making a big deal out of it. I asked him a simple question to clarify a confusing statement. You're the one making a big deal out of a question that wasn't even directed at you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
FWIW, this is also what I've always understood 'End of Life' to mean, the end of it's full support cycle, not the cessation of it's production/ availability for sale. In Apple parlance, 'obsolete' means no further hardware support either, so that's probably what I'd consider to be an 'EoL' MacBook. Discontinued (from sale) is how I would describe products such as the 2018 MBPs which are no longer manufactured and sold (new) but are still fully supported for hardware and software servicing going forward.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
I'm not making a big deal out of it. I asked him a simple question to clarify a confusing statement. You're the one making a big deal out of a question that wasn't even directed at you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're completely ignoring context, nobody in their right mind would claim that a brand new 2019 MBP will stop being supported anytime soon. There has been multiple threads and countless posts on this site about the much speculated 16" and what that could mean to the current line of products. Many people have claimed that it would mean EoL, meaning Apple would stop selling it and replace it by the new 16".

I do apologize if you haven't kept up with the developments but if you have, then getting hung up on the technical definition of EoL is being obtuse for no apparent reason when it is clear to almost every one what the poster was saying. We've been having the same discussions on here for months.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
You're completely ignoring context, nobody in their right mind would claim that a brand new 2019 MBP will stop being supported anytime soon. There has been multiple threads and countless posts on this site about the much speculated 16" and what that could mean to the current line of products. Many people have claimed that it would mean EoL, meaning Apple would stop selling it and replace it by the new 16".

I do apologize if you haven't kept up with the developments but if you have, then getting hung up on the technical definition of EoL is being obtuse for no apparent reason when it is clear to almost every one what the poster was saying. We've been having the same discussions on here for months.

....and you're still making a big deal out of it. You're funny. Bye. So glad the ignore button exists for people like you.

Reactions: DaveBerry

Xcessiv

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
There are good rebates (20 to 25%) currently in Canada on the 2018 i7 2.2 15-in.

Do you think Apple will release a strong contender (price and performance wise) to this base 15-in, in October-November? Or if it'll probably be a high end 16-in mostly competing with the current i9 15-in?

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
I am not gonna upgrade till 2021. This is first gen and Apple is upgrading two times per year.

I don't think that applies to Apple anymore. The 2018 MBP is as good as the 2016 in my book, despite countless updates. I'd rather call the 2016-2019 MBP the first gen. So I'll definitely give the new 16" a shot, since it hopefully will address all shortcomings of the previous ones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.