Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Any 13" Late 2016 user considering an upgrade if the rumoured redesign trickles down to a smaller model next year? I really like this computer but finding the CPU is limiting me a bit, especially with 4K playback on external screens and with things like the SwiftUI canvas in Xcode. Usually upgrade every 5 years or so but might have to expedite it slightly. A slightly more reliable keyboard would also be welcomed, this one has been with Apple for repair twice now...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Any 13" Late 2016 user considering an upgrade if the rumoured redesign trickles down to a smaller model next year? I really like this computer but finding the CPU is limiting me a bit, especially with 4K playback on external screens and with things like the SwiftUI canvas in Xcode. Usually upgrade every 5 years or so but might have to expedite it slightly. A slightly more reliable keyboard would also be welcomed, this one has been with Apple for repair twice now...

I am tempted to even upgrade my 13" 2018 model if a 16" OLED comes out, but something tells me it is worth waiting for the 10nm CPU's and the new Intel integrated GPU's of next year.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
My 15" 2016 model is still holding up ok *fingers crossed*.
The new 16" model might tempt me, but i'll ultimately hold off until 2020 to get a new MBP.
The 2020 rumors for all the Apple products sound like they'll be worth the wait.

Reactions: Dulcimer

tjedora

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017

I'm in your boat. Also having a 13" 2016 MBP with Touch Bar. The CPU by now could be better indeed. I might even get the 16" depending on what they are showing but I actually like the 13" form factor.

Reactions: cambookpro

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
Currently own a 2015 MBP. I want to upgrade right now. The latest 2019 refresh of 13 inch is super tempting. Or should I wait until next year?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Currently own a 2015 MBP. I want to upgrade right now. The latest 2019 refresh of 13 inch is super tempting. Or should I wait until next year?
Unless there’s some reason that you absolutely need to, I would strongly advise that you wait. At least until this Fall to see what all the hype is about with the 16” MBP.

That new design language and improved keyboard will probably be seen in future 13” (14”?) update next year. You can bypass the current terrible generation plagued with issues.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
My 2013 rMBP is working as good as when I bought it. With 16 GB and 1 TB SSD. Does everything it needs to do for me. If it’s not broken why change it. I never change a running system.
That user has a 2012 and they had some issues, especially if he had the non-retina model. I gave 3 options, this years model or late next year. By then it will be 9 year old laptop. If it does meet your needs though and you can push it out until further, not a problem either. I am trying to squeeze as much life out of my 2015, but with my workflow, multiple Windows VM’s and several apps open, multiple browser tabs, its getting hard. My Surface Pro is starting to show its age too, so, I am due an upgrade, too.

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
what do u guys think about the Eurasian models that have yet to be released? A2141, A2147, A2158, A2179, A2182 and the A2251. one of these is the 16" macbook pro, what are the rest??

Phantom1812

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I'm now struck with a bit of a dilemma. Like a lot of people, I have been waiting to make a change and so have been doing a little research - only to be scuppered by this title scenario:

- Braced to drop £3k+ on a well spec'd 15" MBP to last me another 5 years or so. 2.3i9, 32Gb ram etc etc. I am also lucky enough to be able to pick up a free set of Beats Studio Headphones (£300) in the education promotion. I wasn't really looking for them, but the idea of anything worth £300 for free, is a. ice sweetener.

Now - if the rumours are true, I might be about to be spending a BIG amount of money on tech which is going to be EOL or replaced almost as soon as I buy it. If this was a few hundred pounds (or even £1k), I wouldn't care - but this is a wedge of cash so I want to at least not have the shine taken off after 2 weeks of ownership! Ha ha

So I am completely torn as to which of the following I do:

- Hang it all, buy the 15" and get the free cans that make me down with the kids?
- Wait until next week, discover that the 16" MBP is going to be a million pounds and do the above anyway?
- Wait until next week, discover that the 16" MBP is a multi-machine config that replaces the 15" for the same price? Bonus!
- Wait until next week...discover no mention of MBPs at all and then STILL be in limbo wondering about an October announcement?

All rumours seem to suggest the 16" will eventually replace the entire 15" line, but not until mid-2020...with only the super-high-end 16" coming out this year....unless I'm reading it wrong??

bionic_arm

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2019
I'm now struck with a bit of a dilemma. Like a lot of people, I have been waiting to make a change and so have been doing a little research - only to be scuppered by this title scenario:

- Braced to drop £3k+ on a well spec'd 15" MBP to last me another 5 years or so. 2.3i9, 32Gb ram etc etc. I am also lucky enough to be able to pick up a free set of Beats Studio Headphones (£300) in the education promotion. I wasn't really looking for them, but the idea of anything worth £300 for free, is a. ice sweetener.

Now - if the rumours are true, I might be about to be spending a BIG amount of money on tech which is going to be EOL or replaced almost as soon as I buy it. If this was a few hundred pounds (or even £1k), I wouldn't care - but this is a wedge of cash so I want to at least not have the shine taken off after 2 weeks of ownership! Ha ha

So I am completely torn as to which of the following I do:

- Hang it all, buy the 15" and get the free cans that make me down with the kids?
- Wait until next week, discover that the 16" MBP is going to be a million pounds and do the above anyway?
- Wait until next week, discover that the 16" MBP is a multi-machine config that replaces the 15" for the same price? Bonus!
- Wait until next week...discover no mention of MBPs at all and then STILL be in limbo wondering about an October announcement?

All rumours seem to suggest the 16" will eventually replace the entire 15" line, but not until mid-2020...with only the super-high-end 16" coming out this year....unless I'm reading it wrong??

I would just hold off.

I just bought a maxed out 13” (after debating between that and a 15”) and thought the whole time I should have got the 15”.
So I have just sent it back to Apple for a refund and I am going to wait until the 10th to see if they announce he 16th.

If not il buy the 15. Just be patient because you will regret buying the 15 is something new comes out in a month

Reactions: Phantom1812

darwichee90

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2017
I just bought the 15 inch i9 base modell 2019, and i have 14 days to return it, is that enough time to see if they´re gonna release the new 16 inch or not? Will we get answers on the iPhone event on the 10th or later than that?

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
I just bought the 15 inch i9 base modell 2019, and i have 14 days to return it, is that enough time to see if they´re gonna release the new 16 inch or not? Will we get answers on the iPhone event on the 10th or later than that?

No, they are separate events.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
maybe it will be a rich product event so, yes...you have 50% chances to see the 16"

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I don't think Apple have ever released new Macs at an iPhone event? At most I would expect the iPhones and new iPads at that event, Macs will more likely come in October. So the question becomes, if you return it, can you afford to be without a MacBook for, probably at least a couple of months?

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom

According to the statistics here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro, the events were usually held in October. September events mostly focus on iPhones and iPads. I returned my MacBook Pro 2019in June and I’m waiting for a new one as well.

domenicop

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
I don't think Apple have ever released new Macs at an iPhone event? At most I would expect the iPhones and new iPads at that event, Macs will more likely come in October. So the question becomes, if you return it, can you afford to be without a MacBook for, probably at least a couple of months?

we're thinking after they announce them, it will be another month to get them?

I would really love a bigger screen, but maybe I'll go for the i9 15in for now and update to the 16in when the 10nm will be around in 2020/21
[doublepost=1567411916][/doublepost]and if they announce on Sept, 10th I could always return...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
we're thinking after they announce them, it will be another month to get them?

I would really love a bigger screen, but maybe I'll go for the i9 15in for now and update to the 16in when the 10nm will be around in 2020/21
[doublepost=1567411916][/doublepost]and if they announce on Sept, 10th I could always return...
Well, it's more that generally the October events are in late October (last years was the 30th, the 27th in 2016 etc) so even if they are available immediately or a week or so after, you're practically looking at November before you can get your hands on one.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
they've released hardware at iphone many times and I expect this time to be no different.
it's a lite year on the iphone side - a new 16.4 inch mbp would balance things out

Reactions: Phantom1812

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Have they recently released Mac hardware at the iPhone event? Watches, sure... frequently. At least occasionally iPads or iPods. Looking at Wikipedia's Apple release timelines, I haven't seen any case of Macs sharing with the iPhone since the iPhone settled into its September spot. Some iMacs once came close - a few days off.

A MacBook Pro redesign is probably the most important Mac there is except for a major new model - hardly something you can slip out the door with a press release (I'm suspicious that's what those iMacs were). I'd be shocked by anything other than a separate event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.