Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Have they recently released Mac hardware at the iPhone event? Watches, sure... frequently. At least occasionally iPads or iPods. Looking at Wikipedia's Apple release timelines, I haven't seen any case of Macs sharing with the iPhone since the iPhone settled into its September spot. Some iMacs once came close - a few days off.

A MacBook Pro redesign is probably the most important Mac there is except for a major new model - hardly something you can slip out the door with a press release (I'm suspicious that's what those iMacs were). I'd be shocked by anything other than a separate event.

They could announce it with a store update... .. At the end of the day it's an enthusiast machine...

bionic_arm

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2019
Really struggling without a laptop at the moment after sending back my 13".

What are the chances of the 16" being announced on the 10th? I am so close to pulling the trigger on the 15"

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC

What are the chances of the 16" being announced on the 10th? I am so close to pulling the trigger on the 15"

If you need to get work done now, waiting until the mythical 16” materializes may not be the best use of your time. Just a thought.

Also, there will be no Macs on Sept 10.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
They could announce it with a store update... .. At the end of the day it's an enthusiast machine...

They aren't going to do that with a redesigned MacBook Pro.... They didn't do it with the Mac Pro. We'll see if somehow this year is different (not much new hardware wise with phones/ipads/watches, continued struggles with keyboards, maybe the new macOS wants a new machine to show it off), but a new MacBook Pro will get stage time only question is if its September 12 or some later date.

Phantom1812

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
They aren't going to do that with a redesigned MacBook Pro.... They didn't do it with the Mac Pro. We'll see if somehow this year is different (not much new hardware wise with phones/ipads/watches, continued struggles with keyboards, maybe the new macOS wants a new machine to show it off), but a new MacBook Pro will get stage time only question is if its September 12 or some later date.

I guess it depends how truly 'redesigned' it is. A 16" version of what the general public see as the same as they can already buy in 13/15" form, is not that big news - especially if the pricing is on the 'Pro' side of things.

All that being said, I like your thinking about the idea that they may do the 'MacOS' spot on the new 16" MBP. To be fair, that's probably the only 'announcement' it needs. After all, this is a keynote for ordinary consumers - not developers or professionals.

Which leads me on to my next observation/query - do Apple have enough "Mac' hardware updates to warrant a separate event in October? To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being talked about is the MBP16" and that's not going to warrant a town hall all of it's own, surely?

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014

I was in the same boat. I just ordered a 2019 15", i7 2.6, 1tb ssd, 32gb ram, got it new sealed for $2700... even if the 16" is announced not sure how long until it ships and it would probably be $800 more then what I paid and I am happy with the specs I got. If I regret it I can always sell the 15" :)

Reactions: HappyIntro

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
My prediction/guess (and it's no more than that) is a Pro Event sometime after September 10 - late September or sometime in October. I'm not sure if PhotoPlus (big photographers' expo in New York) is important enough that Apple doesn't want to be right on top of it, but that's October 24-26. Alternatively, they might want to be right before PhotoPlus, to have the photography-oriented press on full alert. Historically, they give some thought to Photokina (even bigger photo expo, in Germany, only every other year) - but I'm less sure about PhotoPlus.

Almost for sure if there's a pro event:

1.) New MacBook Pro
2.) Price lists and opening of ordering for the Mac Pro

And Possibly (one or more of):

1.)New iPads Pro (I hope not the same day - it would be nice to see the Mac get top billing)
2.)New iMac Pro (they don't have new CPUs - thanks, Intel - but they could update the graphics and possibly the screen).

It's surprisingly possible to put some version of the XDR Display in an iMac Pro, possibly with a somewhat less exotic backlight, without raising the cost too much. The XDR Display itself probably has a notably high margin, and Apple is often willing to take very low margins on panels in iMacs at first (not on the whole iMac, just on the panel) to get a size out there... The first 27" iMac was not very different in cost from a monitor based on a similar panel, and neither was the first 27" Retina iMac.

Alternatively, it could be a mobile-focused event instead of a pro-focused event: No Mac Pro (that done by press release) and no iMac Pro (wait 'til next year), but:

1.) MacBook Pro
2.) Some small notebook with cellular capability (eats up a bunch of those unexplained A numbers)
3.) Maybe one other notebook - "big and thin"?

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I guess it depends how truly 'redesigned' it is. A 16" version of what the general public see as the same as they can already buy in 13/15" form, is not that big news - especially if the pricing is on the 'Pro' side of things.

All that being said, I like your thinking about the idea that they may do the 'MacOS' spot on the new 16" MBP. To be fair, that's probably the only 'announcement' it needs. After all, this is a keynote for ordinary consumers - not developers or professionals.

Which leads me on to my next observation/query - do Apple have enough "Mac' hardware updates to warrant a separate event in October? To the best of my knowledge, the only thing being talked about is the MBP16" and that's not going to warrant a town hall all of it's own, surely?

Right, the other aspect is that there might not be a lot to talk about besides a MacBook Pro at a Mac event. The Mac Pro has had its stage time, only need to announce that it is now available. Nee iMac Pro and iMacs might come this fall, but that’s like just spec updates. Now Apple can surely spend 2 hours on stage talking about nothing, that’s happened, but they tend not to. So I only see one big event, or maybe two time filling BS events.

Reactions: Phantom1812

D C

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Austin TX
As long as I can get whatever comes out by mid December, I'll be good. A bump in available RAM would be amazing. But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
As long as I can get whatever comes out by mid December, I'll be good. A bump in available RAM would be amazing. But I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

Here I am just hoping for Navi lol.

10th gen won't happen since the high powered chips for the 16" won't be ready till mid 2020.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
If you need to get work done now, waiting until the mythical 16” materializes may not be the best use of your time. Just a thought.

There is nothing mythical about it, it's almost a fact that a new MBP is coming soon, solely based on the registered model numbers in multiple regions... the countless rumors just confirm that

No one of us knows when the new Macs will be released this year. Since the 4 year cycle is about to be broken, nothing is out of question...

There is a realistic chance that Apple will introduce the new MBP at the 10th of September. "By innovation only" is a bold statement for an iPhone 11. Either they've been keeping a lot of details of their new iPhone hidden, or there's a chance this innovation refers to a wider range of products. Also, the logo kind of reminds me of the good old Macintosh times. But that's just speculation on my side

I'd say availability in November is a safe bet

Last edited:

bionic_arm

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2019

It isn't mythical though. There are so much rumours and speculation around it already. Its more of a when than if.

I was in the same boat. I just ordered a 2019 15", i7 2.6, 1tb ssd, 32gb ram, got it new sealed for $2700... even if the 16" is announced not sure how long until it ships and it would probably be $800 more then what I paid and I am happy with the specs I got. If I regret it I can always sell the 15" :)

Yeah i get this. there seem to be really good deals on the 15" ones at the moment so i will just wait to see what happens on the 10th. If nothing is announced i will order the 15"

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
There is nothing mythical about it, it's almost a fact that a new MBP is coming soon, solely based on the registered model numbers in multiple regions... the countless rumors just confirm that

No one of us knows when the new Macs will be released this year. Since the 4 year cycle is about to be broken, nothing is out of question...

There is a realistic chance that Apple will introduce the new MBP at the 10th of September. "By innovation only" is a bold statement for an iPhone 11. Either they've been keeping a lot of details of their new iPhone hidden, or there's a chance this innovation refers to a wider range of products. Also, the logo kind of reminds me of the good old Macintosh times. But that's just speculation on my side

I'd say availability in November is a safe bet

Until it makes it into consumer hands, the mythical 16” is by definition vaporware. You can believe rumors all you want, but you are believing in vaporware that Apple has never committed to release.

I hope the new laptops that are eventually released make all your dreams come true, but if there is real work to be done one can’t rely on the hope of vaporware to materialize when they want it.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Until it makes it into consumer hands, the mythical 16” is by definition vaporware. You can believe rumors all you want, but you are believing in vaporware that Apple has never committed to release.

The registered models are not rumors, but facts, whatever they shape out to be. So unless Apple decides to either pull an AirPower on this one, or delay the release to next year (which they never did), its definitely happening. Therefore "almost a fact" is fair to say.

Mythical on the other hand is a very strong word on the completely other side of the spectrum, which definitely doesn't apply here since all the information we have so far puts it close to its antonym "real".

Reactions: pke

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
The registered models are not rumors, but facts, whatever they shape out to be. So unless Apple decides to either pull an AirPower on this one, or delay the release to next year (which they never did), its definitely happening. Therefore "almost a fact" is fair to say.

Mythical on the other hand is a very strong word on the completely other side of the spectrum, which definitely doesn't apply here since all the information we have so far puts it close to its antonym "real".

If you say so.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
If you say so.

You are being obtuse. If someone needs a computer today to get their job done, yes don’t wait for a computer that might not be on shelves for a couple months. However, these Macs are almost certainly coming. We’ve seen these types of patterns in the rumors enough times to be very sure of this. It hasn’t been Apple’s pattern to announce Macs in September, so you are likely right they won’t show up then. But you don’t know they won’t either and pretending you do is just silly.

So to the people waiting, I’d say continue waiting so long as you are not overtly disrupting your earnings. Buying a 2-4K laptop is a big deal, especially when a lot of people keep it for 5+ years these days. Waiting ~month to at least see what the next options are going to be is perfectly reasonable. I’m waiting myself to replace a 2014 MacBook Pro with battery that’s clearly on its last legs.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

I hope the new laptops that are eventually released make all your dreams come true, but if there is real work to be done one can’t rely on the hope of vaporware to materialize when they want it.

I mean lets be honest...

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
You are being obtuse. If someone needs a computer today to get their job done, yes don’t wait for a computer that might not be on shelves for a couple months. However, these Macs are almost certainly coming. We’ve seen these types of patterns in the rumors enough times to be very sure of this. It hasn’t been Apple’s pattern to announce Macs in September, so you are likely right they won’t show up then. But you don’t know they won’t either and pretending you do is just silly.

So to the people waiting, I’d say continue waiting so long as you are not overtly disrupting your earnings. Buying a 2-4K laptop is a big deal, especially when a lot of people keep it for 5+ years these days. Waiting ~month to at least see what the next options are going to be is perfectly reasonable. I’m waiting myself to replace a 2014 MacBook Pro with battery that’s clearly on its last legs.

Thank you, someone with some common sense!

Reactions: BarredOwl

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC

I agree with you. I don't see how I'm being obtuse. I was merely commenting that it may be unwise to delay any work that needs to be done on the hope that the rumored 16" MacBook Pro (the vaporware) materialize on September 10th. Believe what you need to believe.

Reactions: Basic75

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I agree with you. I don't see how I'm being obtuse. I was merely commenting that it may be unwise to delay any work that needs to be done on the hope that the rumored 16" MacBook Pro (the vaporware) materialize on September 10th. Believe what you need to believe.

I used obtuse due to the way in which you are framing your argument, primarily using words like mythical or vaporware or stating with certainty that it is not being announced on Sept. 10. There are ways to phrase these opinions without somehow pretending you and only you know the right answer. Just a suggestion.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Well... the “one more thing” teaser right now certainly raised the chances for a reveal at the 10th September keynote significantly

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The two main reason's I'm excited for this 16" MBP are, getting a brand new computer followed closely by never having to read speculation about it's release ever again.

I really hope they do it next week. If they are only updating the 16" I could see them throwing it in, just because it's not really enough for it's own event (with no other large Mac redesign's). But I'm sure they could also have some other updates and possibly go that Mac event route in October (maybe with the new iPads).

Reactions: Phantom1812

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

It is what it is, back in 2017 when my Toshiba died at work I had to buy the 2017" TB despite knowing the keyboard issues and knowing the 2018 would bring a Quad Core...

Now I'm looking to upgrade in end 2019/ early 2020.

Well... the “one more thing” teaser right now certainly raised the chances for a reveal at the 10th September keynote significantly

Nah it really sounds like they going to announce the key locator thingy or something else.

The two main reason's I'm excited for this 16" MBP are, getting a brand new computer followed closely by never having to read speculation about it's release ever again.

I really hope they do it next week. If they are only updating the 16" I could see them throwing it in, just because it's not really enough for it's own event (with no other large Mac redesign's). But I'm sure they could also have some other updates and possibly go that Mac event route in October (maybe with the new iPads).

Could see an October event... Just for the redesigned Mac, if it was on the same chassis they could just update the store same for the iPad.. But again it seems like they got an iPod nano on the way as well... So yeah whatever who knows

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Nah it really sounds like they going to announce the key locator thingy or something else.

I really hope that’s not the case. This is all just my opinion, so:

I see two types of people

1) The people who are satisfied, the majority, the average consumers. They don’t see much of an issue with Apples performance.
2) The people who feel like Apple is stagnating a bit when it comes to innovation, the critics, the nerds, us.

So the way I see it, there’s no point in choosing “by innovation only” if you want to address the first segment of the audience. The only thing you gonna achieve is that you’re gonna drive their attention, like an eye of Sauron, onto that aspect and make them realize, that they’re actually kind of lacking in that regards (assuming the best they will come up with is a solid but purely iterative update of their iPhone + a mildly useful tracker).

Therefore I personally believe that this strong phrase is either directed at the second segment, by introducing a MacBook, with an innovative redesign. It would fit the Pro terminology that will drive the while iPhone presentation, so there would be kind of a match thematically. It wouldn’t concern the first audience segment though, so maybe it’s gonna be more of a consumer device?
Or they could indeed introduce their first AR glasses. This would interest everybody and it would certainly be something new and innovative. But, with the complete abundance of rumors and supply chain leaks, these glasses would most likely be at least one year out of reach and therefore an unusually far look into the future.

If Apple indeed chooses to bore us this year, then I really don’t understand their reasoning behind creating specifically these kinds of expectations. Not only will they disappoint the 2nd segment, they will also run into the risk of disappointing the 1st one. Apple is a master at sales though, each word is carefully crafted, especially if its a 3 word tag line for their arguably biggest annual sales event. People WILL pay attention to exactly this aspect, even if it’s only subsconsious.
There are so many other strong catchphrases to hype people up with, but this is one you can choose once in a couple of years, so better make it count...

PS: Microsofts Surface event is right around the corner, and judging by the past there’s gonna be a lot of good innovation being presented. Also, Samsung is about to remind everybody that they’re the key innovator in foldable devices, useful or not aside. So the pressure is on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.