Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Shares an event with the real release of the Mac Pro - full pricelist, ordering, etc.

Maybe iPads Pro (notice that we only got the cheap iPad today), maybe iMac Pro...

Reactions: tjedora

Dallas Pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
I’m so torn on this. I’m still rocking a 2014 15” i7 with 512gb and 16gb ram. Performance-wise it’s still perfectly adequate for my needs (professional photographer) and I obviously like having all the ports but I’ve really longed for a smaller, lighter laptop for a long time now. I held off for years because the performance of the 13” didn’t match up to what I had, now that it’s surpassed it performance wise I’m still holding off because of the keyboards, and now possible redesign. In the mean time, I’m carrying it on my back on a couple of flights a week with all my equipment as I travel with carry-on only and I’m desperate to start shaving some weight off!

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
I guess, as Apple have disappointed (me) in 2016, 17, 18, 19, I'm wishing they'll release a product I want to buy. I'd probably go for a 2020 even if it just had an upgradable disk, but security/greed will preclude that.

Here's what'll actually happen: I'll end up sticking with my 2012 15" at home, and 2015 15" at work. In a year or so, I'll probably end up replacing the work machine with a Lenovo X1 at some point, and taking the work one to replace my home machine, then heading over to the "abandoning ship" thread. :(

Lenovo have a great Keyboard and never was even a tick of a problem . Its like all they have build is military grade no nonsense and straight to the point product. I be waiting for 2020 as well. Since the 16 inch will definitely 3K and above pricing points.

Wishlist is when Apple go back to Scissors mechanism keyboard.
[doublepost=1568258825][/doublepost]
I’m so torn on this. I’m still rocking a 2014 15” i7 with 512gb and 16gb ram. Performance-wise it’s still perfectly adequate for my needs (professional photographer) and I obviously like having all the ports but I’ve really longed for a smaller, lighter laptop for a long time now. I held off for years because the performance of the 13” didn’t match up to what I had, now that it’s surpassed it performance wise I’m still holding off because of the keyboards, and now possible redesign. In the mean time, I’m carrying it on my back on a couple of flights a week with all my equipment as I travel with carry-on only and I’m desperate to start shaving some weight off!

Sounds that its time for you to get the Ultra Slim Book ..

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
2020 is the last chance for Apple to make a Mac i am willing to purchase.

Otherwise, that's one less Apple device. Once the watch can go iPhone-free i'm likely to go watch + iPad and desktop PC for everything else. Because apple plain seem uninterested in keeping me as a customer.

While i'm here, my personal wishlist:
  • quad core cpu in 13". dual cores in 2019 in a supposedly premium brand machine (in the air for example) is a joke.
  • upgradable RAM (so-dimms) - OR at least reasonably priced memory upgrades from apple, not the prison rape pricing they currently have. Seriously. Prison rape is about the only analogy for what Apple charges for RAM, and how they can get away with it.
  • upgradeable/replaceable storage - m.2 is just as fast as what apple offer, and i could even put optane in it if i wanted... there's no excuse apple - you don't have the fastest drives any more, and m.2 is a usable standard for everybody else.
  • keyboard that works
  • touchid ok, touchbar... fine, but don't charge me an extra $500au for it
  • quad core, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB of storage for $2-2.5k Australian. right now they want about $3500-$4000 for that sort of spec and its just way more than i can get from pretty much anywhere else. I'm not THAT attached to macOS any more. I've actively been looking for alternatives, and have workable software on other platforms (Linux, even) for everything i need to do now.
I've already given up on apple ever making a desktop that doesn't suck for my workload (need lots of RAM/SSD, decent core count). The Mac Pro is powerful for sure, but it would want to be at that price. They're just nowhere even near the ballpark for someone who doesn't need an ASIC, or is willing to pay 50-100% markup over what is available elsewhere purely for macOS.

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Let's see if there's still a event this year regarding the new 16"... Doubt it thou.

For now I'm keeping the 2017 13".. But really need to upgrade to the 15/16" due to the lack of RAM/Screen Estate and so on.

I'm starting to use more than 2 VMs at once for testing and to run different VPNs and access to make SAP Installations.. The 13" is starting to get too small to work on and it's starting to hit memory pressure around 90/92%.

DaveBerry

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2019
UK, Yorkshire
I'm am happy for a later release. Would give them time to create something spectacular with a new design as apposed to just the current machine with a larger screen. Perhaps increase heat issues to enable the machine to run hotter without so much fan noise.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I am actually hoping for a significant delay and a “more than incremental” update. Part of this is selfish because I order and now own a 2019 top spec MacBook Pro, and part of this is because I would love to see a significant rather than incremental change in the design and features of the MacBook Pro.

Joe

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
So, I met up with someone yesterday, they have a 2013 13 inch MBP, in superb condition and I am amazed how well it performs. It’s no different from my Early 2015 with Broadwell. This is a sign of how much technology has reached a point of good enough. For most people, MacBook Pro’s since 2016 are pretty much a want than a need.

It kinda makes you wonder, what are the substantial needs of newer models of these devices for the vast majority of customers?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It kinda makes you wonder, what are the substantial needs of newer models of these devices for the vast majority of customers?

• Hardware failure rates are a thing. People need to replace because of failure or end of support even if the hardware is fast enough.
  • Battery life is better on newer machines (and not just because the batteries are new, the chips are more efficient)
  • For most people a tablet is more than enough. But if you actually do need a laptop, more cores and more RAM (which apple is being too stingy with on their Macbook Airs IMHO) are needed for modern laptop/desktop workloads (as opposed to regular home user stuff you can do on a tablet, or even a phone in a pinch).

But yes. Machines have been “good enough” for most people to do non-serious stuff on for over a decade now. Apple should stop making laptops for those purposes that are better served by a tablet, and actually put decent hardware in all of their laptops. But they can milk mac users for far more than other vendors cash wise, it would appear these days.

I’m not kidding with the phone thing by the way. The original iphone has better spec than most of the servers i was managing in the mid-late 90s. Including one that handled say 300-400 end user mailboxes for the ISP i worked at. Most people really don’t realise just how powerful these devices are today.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
  • Hardware failure rates are a thing. People need to replace because of failure or end of support even if the hardware is fast enough.
  • Battery life is better on newer machines (and not just because the batteries are new, the chips are more efficient)
  • For most people a tablet is more than enough. But if you actually do need a laptop, more cores and more RAM (which apple is being too stingy with on their Macbook Airs IMHO) are needed for modern laptop/desktop workloads (as opposed to regular home user stuff you can do on a tablet, or even a phone in a pinch).
But yes. Machines have been “good enough” for most people to do non-serious stuff on for over a decade now. Apple should stop making laptops for those purposes that are better served by a tablet, and actually put decent hardware in all of their laptops. But they can milk mac users for far more than other vendors cash wise, it would appear these days.

I’m not kidding with the phone thing by the way. The original iphone has better spec than most of the servers i was managing in the mid-late 90s. Including one that handled say 300-400 end user mailboxes for the ISP i worked at. Most people really don’t realise just how powerful these devices are today.

I was coming more from the perspective of planned obselence. Apple could seriously push out at least 3 more macOS upgrades for that 2013 MBP, based on what I see users do on computers like that. macOS Mojave on it felt like a brand new machine. Sure, 4K and other things might require newer software improvements, but I feel like Apple might be using the Crown Jewel Hostage nature of macOS to force users to remain in the ecosystem and keep upgrading.

It has not happened so far, but, I suspect in the future, its gonna be something they will become more aggressive doing.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
So, I met up with someone yesterday, they have a 2013 13 inch MBP, in superb condition and I am amazed how well it performs. It’s no different from my Early 2015 with Broadwell. This is a sign of how much technology has reached a point of good enough. For most people, MacBook Pro’s since 2016 are pretty much a want than a need.

2013 and now have a lot of keyboard differences . That alone may be a deal breaker or a sure win depends on the individuals . For me more than 5 or 6 years wait must be worth the design changes and new technology on board.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
I was coming more from the perspective of planned obselence. Apple could seriously push out at least 3 more macOS upgrades for that 2013 MBP, based on what I see users do on computers like that. macOS Mojave on it felt like a brand new machine. Sure, 4K and other things might require newer software improvements, but I feel like Apple might be using the Crown Jewel Hostage nature of macOS to force users to remain in the ecosystem and keep upgrading.

It has not happened so far, but, I suspect in the future, its gonna be something they will become more aggressive doing.

Hard to predict with Apple but one prediction that will be true is that even after almost ten years no drastic design changes worth mentioning about . All year and all the time that they are doing is refining , optimising with a millimetre of changes.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Hard to predict with Apple but one prediction that will be true is that even after almost ten years no drastic design changes worth mentioning about . All year and all the time that they are doing is refining , optimising with a millimetre of changes.

When I saw the 2013, I thought it was a 2015 like mine until I checked the About This Mac page. The touch pad felt different though.

I agree, the changes have been incremental since 2012’s introduction of the retina MBP.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
When I saw the 2013, I thought it was a 2015 like mine until I checked the About This Mac page. The touch pad felt different though.

I agree, the changes have been incremental since 2012’s introduction of the retina MBP.

The 2015 had a refreshed touchpad with haptic feedback. The 2014 and before were physical clicking pads. Very different animals.

The 2015 also introduced 3x3 wifi, so 50% faster than the 2014.

The entire range, 2013, 2014, 2015 was great.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The 2015 had a refreshed touchpad with haptic feedback. The 2014 and before were physical clicking pads. Very different animals.

The 2015 also introduced 3x3 wifi, so 50% faster than the 2014.

The entire range, 2013, 2014, 2015 was great.
Didn't really see any differences in Wi-Fi performance or speed. This was on a home network, connected to a Apple Airport utility. Very speedy, loaded web pages, Netflix really fast, streamed without dropping.

Another conclusion, is just how much money you can save by not getting the latest and greatest or not upgrading regularly. I gotta give kudos to Apple for making great products that last long. I just hope they don't see it as a threat to their profits.

Its one of the things that worries me with this bringing iPad apps to the Mac strategy. If they are planning to do this for new hardware based on Arm, let it be an entirely different MacBook device while still maintaining the mainstream Intel devices. x86 has done the product line well and anyone thats complaining that the Mac needs A-Series to survive is just Steve Troughton Smith geek bubble crowd.

So far, I haven't seen a must have iPad app I really need on my Mac.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
My 2013 MBP already does 1300Mbps on 5GHz, isn't that 802.11ac with 3x3?

Yep, that's 3x3. You're quite correct. I was wrong. I'm actually amazed that Apple offered 1.3Gb/s wifi as far back as 2013. That's amazing. Some of the current generation still don't have that.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
LOL what world are you living in where Apple is going to drop the price of their laptops by a thousand Busch’s just to keep you happy :lol:

They won’t be making their computers thicker by incorporating slotted ram and SSDs either.

You can get a quad core 16GB/1TB for $3200. If you can squeeze down to 512GB by using an external or iCloud then it’s $2900. Keep an eye on the refurb store to get one for $2600 and you’re just about at your budget.

Otherwise get a Dull.

As a recent Mac Mini owner I can tell you the 6 core i7 is pretty great. At least for audio DAW use. YMMV.

2020 is the last chance for Apple to make a Mac i am willing to purchase.

Otherwise, that's one less Apple device. Once the watch can go iPhone-free i'm likely to go watch + iPad and desktop PC for everything else. Because apple plain seem uninterested in keeping me as a customer.

While i'm here, my personal wishlist:
  • quad core cpu in 13". dual cores in 2019 in a supposedly premium brand machine (in the air for example) is a joke.
  • upgradable RAM (so-dimms) - OR at least reasonably priced memory upgrades from apple, not the prison rape pricing they currently have. Seriously. Prison rape is about the only analogy for what Apple charges for RAM, and how they can get away with it.
  • upgradeable/replaceable storage - m.2 is just as fast as what apple offer, and i could even put optane in it if i wanted... there's no excuse apple - you don't have the fastest drives any more, and m.2 is a usable standard for everybody else.
  • keyboard that works
  • touchid ok, touchbar... fine, but don't charge me an extra $500au for it
  • quad core, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB of storage for $2-2.5k Australian. right now they want about $3500-$4000 for that sort of spec and its just way more than i can get from pretty much anywhere else. I'm not THAT attached to macOS any more. I've actively been looking for alternatives, and have workable software on other platforms (Linux, even) for everything i need to do now.
I've already given up on apple ever making a desktop that doesn't suck for my workload (need lots of RAM/SSD, decent core count). The Mac Pro is powerful for sure, but it would want to be at that price. They're just nowhere even near the ballpark for someone who doesn't need an ASIC, or is willing to pay 50-100% markup over what is available elsewhere purely for macOS.

Reactions: Trolle

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
Yep, that's 3x3. You're quite correct. I was wrong. I'm actually amazed that Apple offered 1.3Gb/s wifi as far back as 2013. That's amazing. Some of the current generation still don't have that.
Yes, the 2013-2015 MacBook Pros were and are great machines, specifically the 15". Here's to hoping that the next major update will return to greatness.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
Yes, the 2013-2015 MacBook Pros were and are great machines, specifically the 15". Here's to hoping that the next major update will return to greatness.

The updgrade will always be there , however it is all minor . Even for the 16 inch only the LCD panel will change design that will consider significant change.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
The updgrade will always be there , however it is all minor . Even for the 16 inch only the LCD panel will change design that will consider significant change.

I wouldn’t consider a return to a scissor keyboard minor. A gpu change might be more major for some too.

Reactions: Basic75

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Any news in the rumour mill? My 15" 2013 rMBP unfortunately bit the dust last week. Really hoping they swap the keyboard otherwise I may have to cross that bridge into Linux land :)

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I almost cannot wait for the new mac to launch. I need to upgrade mine very soon. How long will Apple normally announce the event date before the schedule?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I almost cannot wait for the new mac to launch. I need to upgrade mine very soon. How long will Apple normally announce the event date before the schedule?
Likely late October will possibility of availability in November; especially if this new generation. If we go back to 2016, you might not be able to get some models until late November. So, keep your expectations low for when you will be able to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.