Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Probably the same CPUs, possibly minor upgrades (which might or might not be called "10th Generation" - but they would be 14 nm Comet Lake, not 10 nm Ice Lake).

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Probably the same CPUs, possibly minor upgrades (which might or might not be called "10th Generation" - but they would be 14 nm Comet Lake, not 10 nm Ice Lake).

10th Gen Comet Lake H isn't ready until at least the beginning of 2020, probably Q2. Below are a couple leaks. More or less 10nm Ice Lake is going to be at limited volume, with Comet Lake U/Y taking most systems through 2019 and likely most, if not all of 2020. Its not until Tiger Lake at 10nm that we'll have wide availability of 10nm for the Y and U systems. Seems there is some dispute on when that will come, but it seems late 2020 is the earliest reasonable guess. Something else you'll notice on these is that 10nm H class chips (45W) don't appear anywhere. So expect 14nm 15/16" MacBook Pros into 2021, maybe even 2022. Intel does seem committed to porting over some package capabilities to 14nm though, like LP-DDR4X and better thunderbolt integration. And for now, clock rates on 10nm are kind of garbage, so the IPC gains get muted, so I'm not sure from a horsepower or feature support standpoint, moving to 10nm will really matter. Power draw and integrated graphics seem like they will though.

Intel-Client-Mobility-CPU-Roadmap-2020-10nm-14nm-Ice-Lake-Comet-Lake-Tiger-Lake-Rocket-Lake-1030x560.png

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS82LzIvODM0ODQyL29yaWdpbmFsLzE5MDQyNF9yb2FkbWFwc2lwcC5wbmc=

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
You know the big deal is gonna be the iGPUs and Navi.. That's the two things I'm really counting on that they deliver..

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
Feels a bit like the calm before the storm. We were getting new leaks and rumours every week few months ago. It's been dead silent lately regarding the new laptops, with the phones getting all the spotlight. I would expect new updates and news to be dripping in over the next few weeks with the October even being a month away.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Feels a bit like the calm before the storm. We were getting new leaks and rumours every week few months ago. It's been dead silent lately regarding the new laptops, with the phones getting all the spotlight. I would expect new updates and news to be dripping in over the next few weeks with the October even being a month away.

Expect more by around the time the next macOS launches.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
10th Gen Comet Lake H isn't ready until at least the beginning of 2020, probably Q2. Below are a couple leaks. More or less 10nm Ice Lake is going to be at limited volume, with Comet Lake U/Y taking most systems through 2019 and likely most, if not all of 2020. Its not until Tiger Lake at 10nm that we'll have wide availability of 10nm for the Y and U systems. Seems there is some dispute on when that will come, but it seems late 2020 is the earliest reasonable guess. Something else you'll notice on these is that 10nm H class chips (45W) don't appear anywhere. So expect 14nm 15/16" MacBook Pros into 2021, maybe even 2022. Intel does seem committed to porting over some package capabilities to 14nm though, like LP-DDR4X and better thunderbolt integration. And for now, clock rates on 10nm are kind of garbage, so the IPC gains get muted, so I'm not sure from a horsepower or feature support standpoint, moving to 10nm will really matter. Power draw and integrated graphics seem like they will though.

Intel-Client-Mobility-CPU-Roadmap-2020-10nm-14nm-Ice-Lake-Comet-Lake-Tiger-Lake-Rocket-Lake-1030x560.png

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS82LzIvODM0ODQyL29yaWdpbmFsLzE5MDQyNF9yb2FkbWFwc2lwcC5wbmc=

There is no date of production on that roadmap document. Maybe it was from 2016 or 2017 showing future plans? I’m not saying it IS that old, but it’s not too recent I don’t think, I’ve seen it before.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
Unfortunately if a refreshed and redesigned 15/16 inch MBP is also released - its likely to use the exact same CPUs they used earlier this year. Correct me if I am wrong on this?
Until Intel releases any newer CPUs of the 45W H-series that's about all they can do. Not the worst thing in the world, though I would prefer at least a Comet Lake.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Are these potentially the video cards that could go into the new MBPs?

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa

It has to be... AMD doesn't really have anything else

If Apple continues to give Nvidia the cold shoulder... they might as well consider Ryzen chips in the future

As far a Xeon chips in the MBP.... its going to be a waste of money if the Thermal envelop is the same or less of the current MBP 15

Reactions: Basic75

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
This year is my longest wait lol. Hopefully they will soon announce the event schedule.
Here are the October events of the past few years:
  • 2018, 30 October
  • 2017, no October event
  • 2016, 27 October
  • 2015, no October event
  • 2014, 16 October
  • 2013, 22 October
  • 2012, 23 October
  • 2011, 4 October

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Yeah they seem to be.. At least on paper, we are not sure on the wattage that these cards are running on... Also these are "m" branding.. We usually go for "Pro" ones here

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Isn't the "Pro" branding usually just an Apple-specific slight tweak of an "m" chip? I don't think I've seen the "Pro" chips in any PC, and they're very darned similar in specs... If that's all it is, AMD probably has the "Pro" versions ready, and will release them with the MBPs.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
There is no date of production on that roadmap document. Maybe it was from 2016 or 2017 showing future plans? I’m not saying it IS that old, but it’s not too recent I don’t think, I’ve seen it before.

Look at the start dates, that gives you an idea of when its from. The most recent leak showed up in late spring/early summer, I believe.

As far a Xeon chips in the MBP.... its going to be a waste of money if the Thermal envelop is the same or less of the current MBP 15

Xeon mobile don't have higher TDPs than the Core H series. They do however have ECC memory support and slightly faster iGPUs (plus security features your IT might care about, I think). As far as a MacBook Pro would be concerned, they are basically the same chips, just one with ECC. Nothing is really wasted in one vs the other because of the thermal envelop.

halw

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Really hoping new machines drop in the next 3-4 weeks. I'd really like to upgrade my 2017 MBP to something with at least a Vega level video card. I (hopefully) have a friend lined up to buy my current MBP as soon as something new comes out. If they end up just sticking with the Vega 16/20 I'll just get a refurb.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I feel like the mini-LED models that Kuo has predicted will be the next generation/complete redesign. If there are Macs coming out in October, I think they will use the same chassis (or very close to the same) with smaller bezels.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Smaller bezels for Apple is a redesign...so if they do this...another chassis will take place after 2023
I guess we will know in less than 2 weeks if there will be an event

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Those Vega 9 and 11 specs from the 15” Surface Laptop make me wonder if we really getting Navi rush year

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
How good or bad are Vega 9 & 11? To what of nVidia offerings could we compare those two with?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
How good or bad are Vega 9 & 11? To what of nVidia offerings could we compare those two with?

I’d say MX150 and whatever comes above? I mean we need full benchmarks to compare...

Errr I don’t know

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Those Ryzen Surface Edition chips are nothing really new. AMD has offered a few Ryzen/Vega packages for mobile for at least a few months, and maybe longer. They are sub 35 watt (including the GPU) quad cores with decent GPUs (much better than any Intel integrated GPU, significantly short of most discrete GPUs). They are previous generation Ryzens, not the new-generation 7nm stuff. They are nothing close to the 100 watt or so (CPU plus GPU) 8 core combinations used in 15" MBPs.

Where they would be interesting is in the 13" MBP. They probably lose a little CPU power compared to the best Intel chips used in the 13" line, but they gain substantially in the GPU.

The problem is that the 13" MBP is the only Mac notebook where AMD has a decent option. They don't have anything powerful enough for the 15" MBP, nor low-powered enough for the Air. Most AMD mobile chips are aimed at the value market, not the premium notebook space that Apple occupies. These fancy-graphics chips are one of the few exceptions, but AMD doesn't have the rest of a line to go with them...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Those Ryzen Surface Edition chips are nothing really new. AMD has offered a few Ryzen/Vega packages for mobile for at least a few months, and maybe longer. They are sub 35 watt (including the GPU) quad cores with decent GPUs (much better than any Intel integrated GPU, significantly short of most discrete GPUs). They are previous generation Ryzens, not the new-generation 7nm stuff. They are nothing close to the 100 watt or so (CPU plus GPU) 8 core combinations used in 15" MBPs.

Where they would be interesting is in the 13" MBP. They probably lose a little CPU power compared to the best Intel chips used in the 13" line, but they gain substantially in the GPU.

The problem is that the 13" MBP is the only Mac notebook where AMD has a decent option. They don't have anything powerful enough for the 15" MBP, nor low-powered enough for the Air. Most AMD mobile chips are aimed at the value market, not the premium notebook space that Apple occupies. These fancy-graphics chips are one of the few exceptions, but AMD doesn't have the rest of a line to go with them...
The 15" Surface Book is Microsoft's answer to the 15" Pro (dGPU and 20W TDP up processor, and pretty much matching pricing). The 15" Laptop is something Apple don't offer at all, a full size consumer laptop. It's difficult to pin down exactly what the corresponding model would be in Apple's lineup, the obvious answer would be a 15" MacBook Air, but really given this is significantly more powerful than the Air, it's more like a 15" version of the formerly-non-Touchbar MacBook Pro.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

It is something new because it is a custom enhanced chip when compared to the stock ones available in the other laptops.

HOWEVER it is a big disappointment them not being 7nm on the improved arch.

I wouldn't buy any of that refresh units, I'd wait if I was a Window based user... But since I'm a Mac user I'll be willing to further wait to move from my 13" 2017 TB... I do wanna go to the 16"

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Really interesting to see companies like Microsoft and Asus improve on the TouchBar (or WonderBar..hmmm). It could be a headline feature of the upcoming 16 inch MBP if they were to significantly expand the size of the TouchBar to act as a secondary screen.

savagemic

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
Really interesting to see companies like Microsoft and Asus improve on the TouchBar (or WonderBar..hmmm). It could be a headline feature of the upcoming 16 inch MBP if they were to significantly expand the size of the TouchBar to act as a secondary screen.
Worthless if they don't fix the butterfly keyboard design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.