Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
Likely late October will possibility of availability in November; especially if this new generation. If we go back to 2016, you might not be able to get some models until late November. So, keep your expectations low for when you will be able to get it.
Add to that the wait for an iFixit tear-down of the new keyboard.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I just received a $3000 Apple Store Gift Card from a friend and I'm saving it for the 16" MBP. I'm close to getting an iP11 and S5 watch with that card, but it might just be worth it to try to hold off for 1 more month in case a huge announcement comes. Any of you think it's a very big possibility of an October surprise?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I just received a $3000 Apple Store Gift Card from a friend and I'm saving it for the 16" MBP. I'm close to getting an iP11 and S5 watch with that card, but it might just be worth it to try to hold off for 1 more month in case a huge announcement comes. Any of you think it's a very big possibility of an October surprise?

We really don't know if there's en event happening or not.. Most of us are hoping thou

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
We really don't know if there's en event happening or not.. Most of us are hoping thou

I'm guessing we'll know by the first or second week of October. Apple is still in the midst of its iPhone and iOS roll out. They don't like to distract from stuff like that until the media buzz dies down. If we get into mid/late October and an event isn't even announced, might as well assume a new MacBook Pro isn't coming until Spring.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have a feeling there will be a "Pro" event. Since the iPad Pros weren't announced with the new iPhones and iPads. Although Apple doesn't always announce them at the same event. I just have a feeling there will be an October event that will announce the new Mac Pro, iPad Pro, and new MacBook Pro. Apple still needs to release the Mac Pro, and since they gave it so much attention at WWDC it will probably be unveiled at an event instead of just released quietly. I think Apple is trying to reinvest into the creative and professional markets and probably need a Pro event to make people think they are still committed to that segment. Hopefully we see a redesigned MacBook Pro as well with better cooling for faster GPU's.

This would probably get me looking at Macs again.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
I'm guessing we'll know by the first or second week of October. Apple is still in the midst of its iPhone and iOS roll out. They don't like to distract from stuff like that until the media buzz dies down. If we get into mid/late October and an event isn't even announced, might as well assume a new MacBook Pro isn't coming until Spring.
Definitely not by the first week of October, and probably not by the second week either.

In 2018, Apple announced the event on October 18: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/18/apple-event-new-york-city/

In 2017 there was no October event.

In 2016, Apple announced the event on October 19: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/19/apple-announces-october-27th-mac-centric-event/

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
10nm Ice Lake chips are now available and Catalina GM will be released soon. Everything is lining up for a 16" MBP release in Oct.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
45W Ice Lake??? I haven't heard of any such thing even on a roadmap, let alone actually out. I think it'll be released either with the early 2019 chips, or (less likely) with "10th Generation" Comet Lake (still 14nm+++++++++++) CPUs.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
10nm Ice Lake chips are now available and Catalina GM will be released soon. Everything is lining up for a 16" MBP release in Oct.
those Ice Lake chips are maybe for an Macbook Air or 13" Macbook pro...so no...until next year there are no 45W Ice Lake chips for 15/16" MBP

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
those Ice Lake chips are maybe for an Macbook Air or 13" Macbook pro...so no...until next year there are no 45W Ice Lake chips for 15/16" MBP
Really? Well that suck.s

There still could be MBP 13" refreshes with Ice Lake / Sunny Cove though right?

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
Have you seen any roadmap or reliable rumor on Ice Lake or Tiger Lake 45W chips? So far Intel hasn't really talked about any consumer 10nm chip above 28W. Based on that, next year seems optimistic for a 15" MBP with H-series 45W CPU.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The best roadmaps I've seen show that we still have at least one more generation of 14nm+++++++ chips to get through in 45W mobile (Comet Lake). The mobile roadmap ends in Q42020, when Comet Lake is still current. Desktop roadmaps that extend another year show a 2021 release of yet another 14nm+++++++++++++ generation (Rocket Lake) before anything 10nm or smaller. It's not clear if 45W mobile (15" MacBook Pro) gets Rocket Lake or some 10nm chip in 2021, because the mobile roadmap doesn't go that far. 45W desktop chips are scheduled for Rocket Lake, which might or might not be a bad sign.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
The best roadmaps I've seen show that we still have at least one more generation of 14nm+++++++ chips to get through in 45W mobile (Comet Lake). The mobile roadmap ends in Q42020, when Comet Lake is still current. Desktop roadmaps that extend another year show a 2021 release of yet another 14nm+++++++++++++ generation (Rocket Lake) before anything 10nm or smaller. It's not clear if 45W mobile (15" MacBook Pro) gets Rocket Lake or some 10nm chip in 2021, because the mobile roadmap doesn't go that far. 45W desktop chips are scheduled for Rocket Lake, which might or might not be a bad sign.

Means any PC you'll get until 2021 should be a 15" and not a 13" lol
[automerge]1569334928[/automerge]
I hope the best feature of the rumored 16” is a next generation keyboard and trackpad. I still try to get used to the current one.

I find the trackpad... fine?
[automerge]1569334953[/automerge]
Have you seen any roadmap or reliable rumor on Ice Lake or Tiger Lake 45W chips? So far Intel hasn't really talked about any consumer 10nm chip above 28W. Based on that, next year seems optimistic for a 15" MBP with H-series 45W CPU.

Pretty much what we should expect.. Now on the GPU front, that's another conversation

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008

Although Intel announced them, I haven't even seen any laptops released yet with the 28W chip (1068G7). This is the only chip to guarantee that 2.3 Ghz base clock speed. So that seems like a bit of a paper launch at the moment.

If Apple does announce new 16inch Macbook Pro in October - I get the feeling it will be a "Pro" in the same sense that the new iPhones are Pro - a brighter display, better keyboard, maybe a W1 chip for easier pairing with their headphones - these kind of things. The most exciting thing they could announce is perhaps a better cooling system or better battery technology/layout like they did for the new iPhones - that would be a nice innovation that does not depend on Intel and customers could be excited about.

Reactions: BarredOwl

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Better cooling, keyboard, GPU puts the 16" MBP right in the very front ranks of 15-16" mobile workstations. The GPU is already highly competitive with other thin and light workstation-type designs (other than the unreleased Razer Studio, which is in between a thin and light and a full size 15").

What a lot of people here want (and I agree - I'm not sure whether it is what Apple will build) is something in between the thin and light category and the full size 15" category. I haven't seen a clamor for spinning drives, but full size 15" cooling and a higher end GPU would be appreciated.

There are essentially three tiers of mobile workstation designs (as opposed to gaming laptops, which are thicker, heavier, cheaper, less reliable and often lack high-resolution displays).

1.) 15" thin and light - 6 (primarily) and 8 core CPUs, long battery life, modest GPU, 32 or 64 GB RAM capacity, SSD only, ~4 lbs (Lenovo P1, Dell 5540, HP ZBook Studio, MacBook Pro)

2.) 15" full-size - mainly 8-core CPUs including Xeons, reasonable battery life, modest GPU (occasionally with a higher-end option), 64 GB RAM capacity (sometimes 128 GB), SSD plus 2.5", ~6 lbs (Lenovo P53, Dell 7540, HP ZBook 15, Razer Studio (sort of)).

3.) 17" full size - mainly 8 core CPUs including Xeons, limited battery life, higher end GPU options, 128 GB RAM capacity, multiple SSD and 2.5" bays.

The Razer Studio may be a hybrid between the thin and light and full size designs - Quadro RTX 5000 but SSD only, limited SSD capacity (so far, Razer hasn't announced options >1 TB),may have a 32 GB RAM ceiling, fancy cooling...

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Although Intel announced them, I haven't even seen any laptops released yet with the 28W chip (1068G7). This is the only chip to guarantee that 2.3 Ghz base clock speed. So that seems like a bit of a paper launch at the moment.

No, they are starting to show up. Intel did say that things would be building into the holiday season. So expect plenty of 10th gen (both the 14nm kind and 10nm kind) by Black Friday.

Here's a dell you can buy now with the 10th gen, 10nm, i7-1065G7: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-14-5493-laptop/nn5493dqvth

It won't arrive until Oct 9th, but that's not too far away at this point.

If Apple does announce new 16inch Macbook Pro in October - I get the feeling it will be a "Pro" in the same sense that the new iPhones are Pro - a brighter display, better keyboard, maybe a W1 chip for easier pairing with their headphones - these kind of things. The most exciting thing they could announce is perhaps a better cooling system or better battery technology/layout like they did for the new iPhones - that would be a nice innovation that does not depend on Intel and customers could be excited about.

Not sure what you mean about "Pro" as in the iPhone Pro. The MacBook Pro has had a very clear distinction from the MacBook or MacBook Air for a long time. Are you wondering why it would be a "Pro" 16 vs the "Pro" 15? If so, think of this a bit like how they rolled out the original retina. If they release now, the 16 will be stuck on 9th gen. I don't think we'll see a 13/14 with 10th gen until next year, when the 16 could also move to 10th gen. Oddly of course, the 16 will be on 14nm 10th gen, while the 13/14 will be on 10nm 10th gen.

Also, and not directly related to your comments, I wouldn't be too terribly upset about the 45W parts not getting 10nm 10th gen just yet. CPU performance differences are pretty small due to low clock rates on the 10nm parts counter balancing the IPC gains. That impacts battery life, but for many that's taking things from good enough to even better. The other big distinction is the integrated graphics, but the 16 is likely to always come with dGPU cards, so meh. Also, Intel has worked hard to port over LPDDR4X to 14nm 10th gen, at least in Comet Lake U series, as well as other platform features. That's a big deal. It suggests that 10th gen 45W parts will probably get this as well.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
No, they are starting to show up. Intel did say that things would be building into the holiday season. So expect plenty of 10th gen (both the 14nm kind and 10nm kind) by Black Friday.

Here's a dell you can buy now with the 10th gen, 10nm, i7-1065G7: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-14-5493-laptop/nn5493dqvth

It won't arrive until Oct 9th, but that's not too far away at this point.

Not sure what you mean about "Pro" as in the iPhone Pro. The MacBook Pro has had a very clear distinction from the MacBook or MacBook Air for a long time. Are you wondering why it would be a "Pro" 16 vs the "Pro" 15? If so, think of this a bit like how they rolled out the original retina. If they release now, the 16 will be stuck on 9th gen. I don't think we'll see a 13/14 with 10th gen until next year, when the 16 could also move to 10th gen. Oddly of course, the 16 will be on 14nm 10th gen, while the 13/14 will be on 10nm 10th gen.

Also, and not directly related to your comments, I wouldn't be too terribly upset about the 45W parts not getting 10nm 10th gen just yet. CPU performance differences are pretty small due to low clock rates on the 10nm parts counter balancing the IPC gains. That impacts battery life, but for many that's taking things from good enough to even better. The other big distinction is the integrated graphics, but the 16 is likely to always come with dGPU cards, so meh. Also, Intel has worked hard to port over LPDDR4X to 14nm 10th gen, at least in Comet Lake U series, as well as other platform features. That's a big deal. It suggests that 10th gen 45W parts will probably get this as well.

Very interesting comments and links! I spent a while looking for 1065G7 laptops a week or 2 ago and didn't find any. So it's very encouraging to see this already on sale.

Also was not aware that Comet Lake U has LPDDR4X support, but those chips go up only to 15W.

All in all - this leads to the interesting possibility that the 13 inch MBP will also get a refresh maybe with 32Gb LPDDR4X with either 14nm or 10nm 10th gen parts.

Unfortunately if a refreshed and redesigned 15/16 inch MBP is also released - its likely to use the exact same CPUs they used earlier this year. Correct me if I am wrong on this?

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Very interesting comments and links! I spent a while looking for 1065G7 laptops a week or 2 ago and didn't find any. So it's very encouraging to see this already on sale.

Also was not aware that Comet Lake U has LPDDR4X support, but those chips go up only to 15W.

All in all - this leads to the interesting possibility that the 13 inch MBP will also get a refresh maybe with 32Gb LPDDR4X with either 14nm or 10nm 10th gen parts.

Unfortunately if a refreshed and redesigned 15/16 inch MBP is also released - its likely to use the exact same CPUs they used earlier this year. Correct me if I am wrong on this?

Yes, the 45W 10th gen parts aren't even due for a while yet, so if the 16 MacBook Pro is released this fall, it will have the same CPUs as the current 15 have and the same RAM. The 13" MacBook Pro will almost certainly come with the 10nm Ice Lake, rather than 14nm Comet Lake. The reason will be largely because of the much better integrated graphics and Apple just generally wanting to keep the MBP in the high end laptop range. The comet lake laptops will be a step down, generally sub-$1000, even sub-$500 computers. Things like the XPS 13, Lenovo Yoga 13/14, etc, are getting Ice Lake.

I suspect the way this will go is that Apple really, really, really wants to fix this keyboard issue. On a $2400-$4000 laptop, no one wants to deal with that and they are likely losing sales. So, they fix the keyboard this fall in the 16 on 9th gen parts. Then in the Spring when 10th gen comet lake H makes it up to 45W (due Q2 supposedly), we'll see a refreshed 16, plus they will catch the 13" up, potentially in a 14" form factor with Ice Lake CPUs. That way they can move the entire Pro line up to LPDDR4 at the same time and not have the 13/14" look like the better computer compared to the more expensive 15/16" for 6 months if they were to do it now.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.