Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Really interesting to see companies like Microsoft and Asus improve on the TouchBar (or WonderBar..hmmm). It could be a headline feature of the upcoming 16 inch MBP if they were to significantly expand the size of the TouchBar to act as a secondary screen.
Im sorry but i hope not...i have the 2018 15" mbp and the zenbook pro duo...that zenbook in normal use, it is not an portable device..why? battery life
In other hand, if they just double the touchbar vertical size without compromising the keyboard it would be nice

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Im sorry but i hope not...i have the 2018 15" mbp and the zenbook pro duo...that zenbook in normal use, it is not an portable device..why? battery life
In other hand, if they just double the touchbar vertical size without compromising the keyboard it would be nice

Those are orthogonal arguments, it's not necessary to sacrafice portability for more touchbar space. Don't mean to start an argument over the touchbar, whats the best size, is it good, etc, I was just saying that if they were to *do something* with it, then it could be a feature, or rather a reason to hold an event to show off what it could do. In any case, i'm like most people here just randomly stabbing in the dark as to what they could show while anxiously awaiting for some announcement to come :)

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
Still not enough to be able to use a decent dGPU....so more of the same

96W Power brick could also actually mean that they increased the cooling capabilities to let the current 2019 15" MBP hardware (i9, Vega20) run in full boost clock without throttling.

I can imagine marketing it like they did for the new Mac Pro where they assured on stage that it is capable of running full boost clock non-stop without throttling thanks to its cooling.

But yeah personally I hope they will also use the new 7nm Navi chips, which could also help for better cooling.

I'm actually pretty positive that one of the main talking points for the redesigned 16" is going to be the cooling solution. And that is going to benefit the 2020 MBP as well, which all things/rumors considered looks to become THE machine to get.

Reactions: savagemic

savagemic

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
96W Power brick could also actually mean that they increased the cooling capabilities to let the current 2019 15" MBP hardware (i9, Vega20) run in full boost clock without throttling.

I can imagine marketing it like they did for the new Mac Pro where they assured on stage that it is capable of running full boost clock non-stop without throttling thanks to its cooling.

But yeah personally I hope they will also use the new 7nm Navi chips, which could also help for better cooling.

I'm actually pretty positive that one of the main talking points for the redesigned 16" is going to be the cooling solution. And that is going to benefit the 2020 MBP as well, which all things/rumors considered looks to become THE machine to get.

I’d say better cooling was my #2 request right behind new keyboard. The MacBook thermal throttling stinks.

Reactions: Queen6

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
It seems like someday they might dispense with the physical keyboard altogether and just use a screen with a haptic one.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
UsbC has maximum of 100w so irrelevant

No, pretty relevant....Using USB-C for power delivery was the dumb decision made in the first place. Use a proprietary connector and the problem is solved, you can have enough power for a decent GPU and you can even return to magsafe....

If you continue using USB-C, you are forced to use mediocre hardware...

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
No, pretty relevant....Using USB-C for power delivery was the dumb decision made in the first place. Use a proprietary connector and the problem is solved, you can have enough power for a decent GPU and you can even return to magsafe....

If you continue using USB-C, you are forced to use mediocre hardware...
I bet if apple used that you cried about that ..so you are that kind of guy who always cries no matter what decisions were made. UsbC/tb3 is the most powerful for now until tb4. With tb3 you can use dgpu that are more powerful and by doing that you protect tour laptop even more since it has its stand alone power
So irrelevant,you want a dgpu with a laptop that cant last more than 2-3 hours go windows for gaming. The mac isn’t for you but this you should know since the mac it is how it is for decades
PS: magsafe had no more than 100W either ,just for you to know
[automerge]1570338060[/automerge]

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I use what its good for me...if an macbook pro wasnt a good choice for me...i wouldn't came here,like you, and cry about Apple choices...but i guess only mature people thinks like me
Like i said, if i want a more powerful dGPu into my mac, i buy an eGpu, simple and keep away the heat from my mac that can affects my other internals and the battery
Saying that the most profitable company is "too dumb" says a lot about you

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
If they get the keyboard situation resolved and ensure that the quality control process is top notch, then they will undoubtedly lure back some former customers who have "abandoned the ship".

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I use what its good for me...if an macbook pro wasnt a good choice for me...i wouldn't came here,like you, and cry about Apple choices...but i guess only mature people thinks like me
Like i said, if i want a more powerful dGPu into my mac, i buy an eGpu, simple and keep away the heat from my mac that can affects my other internals and the battery
Saying that the most profitable company is "too dumb" says a lot about you

FFS, quote the post you are replying to. Who’s saying Apple is dumb? This way it looks like you’re having private conversation with yourself.

Reactions: Super Spartan1

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
I completely agree with the keyboard comment - I just had to have my 2017 repaired for the keyboard for the third time (fortunately, this one was a half-hour repair in the Apple Store for one broken key).

On Magsafe, remember that it means a return to the heavy, single-port Apple adapter as the only option- no third-party chargers. I've charged my 15" with a number of devices, ranging from the Apple adapter to a couple of different four-port (one USB-C port plus three USB-A) adapters and even a really big battery pack (Zendure SuperTank). I can't wait to try Zendure's SuperPort, which should be very well built if their batteries and smaller chargers are any indication, and it has a 100 watt USB-C port plus another USB-C and two USB-A ports with decent power.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
FFS, quote the post you are replying to. Who’s saying Apple is dumb? This way it looks like you’re having private conversation with yourself.
So you dont read the last comments?It was literally above mine..so no need to quote when i reply to the last comment
It seems you are just lazy and off topic. Please read the MacRumors rules

Last edited:

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
PYpa5go.png

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Talking about GPUs, AMD yesterday annouced Navi 14 chip and the Radeon 5500M mobile GPU. Since these have 22 CUs, I'd assume that it's based on a shingle shader core (half Navi 10). A "flawless" shader core should therefore have 24 CUs (since Navi used dual-CU and the design would be symmetric). baed on all this, I'd guess the following:

A "standard" MBP will come with a 16-20CU vision of the Navi 14 and GDDR6 VRAM, the clocks will be similar to or slightly lower than the standard 5500M. This will put its TDP at ~50W and its performance around the RTX 1650/1660.

A "premium" MBP will have a 24 CU Navi 14 and HMB2 VRAM. The energy efficiency of HMB2 + binning will allow it to maintain the same 50W TDP. Its performance should be around 1660 Ti or higher.

Let's see how close I will get :)

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Talking about GPUs, AMD yesterday annouced Navi 14 chip and the Radeon 5500M mobile GPU. Since these have 22 CUs, I'd assume that it's based on a shingle shader core (half Navi 10). A "flawless" shader core should therefore have 24 CUs (since Navi used dual-CU and the design would be symmetric). baed on all this, I'd guess the following:

A "standard" MBP will come with a 16-20CU vision of the Navi 14 and GDDR6 VRAM, the clocks will be similar to or slightly lower than the standard 5500M. This will put its TDP at ~50W and its performance around the RTX 1650/1660.

A "premium" MBP will have a 24 CU Navi 14 and HMB2 VRAM. The energy efficiency of HMB2 + binning will allow it to maintain the same 50W TDP. Its performance should be around 1660 Ti or higher.

Let's see how close I will get :)
Around 1660ti? This means better than 1080max q and that would be great

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
For the past few months, I have been pretty ramped up about purchasing the 16" MBP that was due for release this month.

So much so that I sold last year's 15" MBP to get maximum sale value. In the meantime, I have a 2019 13" MBP to keep me busy.

Today, rumor breaks that the new 16" MBP will not be coming until 2020. Same for the iPad Pro models expected this month.

This doesn't make sense to me, and I don't think I believe the new rumor.

The 16" MBP has reportedly been in production for a few weeks now. There are dummy models of the new iPad Pro being shown off on YouTube.

I still believe that there will be a PRO event in three weeks.

However, I would love to hear what the rest of you think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.