Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Thanks. There are so many problems with this article. We can start with:

1) the source of this article is a 9to5mac article which doesn’t state that the 16” isn’t coming.
2) the 9to5 article does point out that the original article from Kuo is a Chinese language article.
3) the original article actually infers that Kuo isn’t taking about the 16” next year:

Either way it's gonna be a long wait regardless... Unless you need a computer now just hold

Reactions: Howard2k

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I'm in the same boat as many - waiting/hoping for new MBP 16 this year, but.

It is not obvious we have something in 2019. Kuo didn't mention redesigned MBP since February (all new design macbook pro in 2019). He has been sending some confusing messages after (new scissor keyboard will be in macbook air first, followed by the rest of macbooks in 2020, etc).
We have had rumors about MBP 16 in June/July from other sources and then .. nothing.
It is a bit strange IMO. I would have expected more rumors so close to the announcement.

Keeping my fingers crossed we will have October event with new MBPs (desperately need one) but trying to be realistic at the same time. Will find out soon.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I'm in the same boat as many - waiting/hoping for new MBP 16 this year, but.

It is not obvious we have something in 2019. Kuo didn't mention redesigned MBP since February (all new design macbook pro in 2019). He has been sending some confusing messages after (new scissor keyboard will be in macbook air first, followed by the rest of macbooks in 2020, etc).
We have had rumors about MBP 16 in June/July from other sources and then .. nothing.
It is a bit strange IMO. I would have expected more rumors so close to the announcement.

Keeping my fingers crossed we will have October event with new MBPs (desperately need one) but trying to be realistic at the same time. Will find out soon.

Maybe we are indeed gonna be waiting till spring since there's no new rumours floating around

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I don't understand the confusion.

It is extremely clear that the 16" high end MacBook Pro is imminent and that 2020 will see more MacBook models updated to inherit the new design.

Reactions: gadgetfreaky

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007

It is extremely clear that the 16" high end MacBook Pro is imminent and that 2020 will see more MacBook models updated to inherit the new design.

That depends which rumor you read. There are already two contradicting ones in the last dozen posts.

That being said, I am still in agreement with you. I think that Apple will announce its next event in the next week or two

Reactions: Ener Ji

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

I wish I could share your certainty

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
That depends which rumor you read. There are already two contradicting ones in the last dozen posts.

That being said, I am still in agreement with you. I think that Apple will announce its next event in the next week or two
You're going to have to point that out, as I have not seen a single article or statement made by this site, or 9to5mac, that indicates anything else, or even the possibility of anything else.

They have all 100% maintained that the 16" MacBook Pro is expected to launch this month. Not just "sometime in the future, maybe October". They've been commenting from a typical point of certainty due to certain sources.

I've not seen either site back off from that stance.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
The new beta macos catalina 10.15.1 adds support for navi gpu

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You're going to have to point that out, as I have not seen a single article or statement made by this site, or 9to5mac, that indicates anything else, or even the possibility of anything else.

They have all 100% maintained that the 16" MacBook Pro is expected to launch this month. Not just "sometime in the future, maybe October". They've been commenting from a typical point of certainty due to certain sources.

I've not seen either site back off from that stance.

Read post #798

Kuo is now saying 2020

However, based on everything else that has been put out there -- including that 16" MBP models are now in production -- I do not agree with this news.

However, I did want to back up my statement that there is conflicting rumors contrary to the ones you cited

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Read post #798

Kuo is now saying 2020

However, based on everything else that has been put out there -- including that 16" MBP models are now in production -- I do not agree with this news.

However, I did want to back up my statement that there is conflicting rumors contrary to the ones you cited
That’s not an accurate article or source, at all.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
That’s not an accurate article or source, at all.

Kuo is not an accurate source?

Mind you, I agree that the information is probably not correct, but you seem a little too definitive in your statements as someone not receiving information direct from Apple.

Reactions: navaira

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I am somewhat excited about the 16” MBP OLED but also worried as Apple has a tendency to disappoint with random decisions which just weren’t needed to be changed.

Reactions: Basic75

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I am somewhat excited about the 16” MBP OLED but also worried as Apple has a tendency to disappoint with random decisions which just weren’t needed to be changed.

I don't believe you will see an OLED this year or any year to come.

It has been reported that Apple is switching to micro LED screens. Those won't even be available in this year's model if the 16" is to be released in three weeks.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I don't believe you will see an OLED this year or any year to come.

It has been reported that Apple is switching to micro LED screens. Those won't even be available in this year's model if the 16" is to be released in three weeks.
You mean mini-LED? Personally think we should stick to OLED until we can use micro-led when yields become better, not sure mini-led is enough of a leap (but I guess it reduces their costs).

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You mean mini-LED? Personally think we should stick to OLED until we can use micro-led when yields become better, not sure mini-led is enough of a leap (but I guess it reduces their costs).

Yes, sorry, mini-LED. This technology is new to me.

I would rather have OLED. I love OLED displays and how they handle black levels.

The problem with OLED is screen burn-in. Also, cost is considerably high for the screens which would add a premium price to the MBP.

However, from what I am reading, all future MBP's will probably have mini-LED, with the exception of this year's 16" MBP, as rumored.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It seems like someday they might dispense with the physical keyboard altogether and just use a screen with a haptic one.
That really would be the final nail in the usability coffin for a lot of people.

Here is the article with the report that 16" MBP will not be coming until next year.

I don't believe it, though

If true I would probably expect it to launch at WWDC with a custom Apple chip to kick off that transition (Phil S on stage talking through how it blows the 2019 intel model out of the water on performance, the thermals for something this performant are almost physics-defying, it could also have the new mini LED screen for 'near OLED black levels', they've got an all new keyboard design that's been re-engineered with the typist in mind for the ultimate in comfortable typing experience ?... starting at just $9,999 ?)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
It seems there is good and bad with an October 2019 16" MBP release..

If it releases in three weeks it will still be using older chips.

If released next year, newer chips and more redesign.

Again...rumored. None of us have definitive information.

Last edited:

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Kuo is not an accurate source?

Mind you, I agree that the information is probably not correct, but you seem a little too definitive in your statements as someone not receiving information direct from Apple.
I'm referring to cultofmac.

CultofMac obviously didn't even read Kuo's report before posting that article. Macrumors and 9to5mac did. Their interpretations of the report are different.

Literally all of these publications are reporting on the exact same source. I don't understand why some people here would "choose" to give credence to the most amateurish when this very site and others handled it already.

Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'm referring to cultofmac.

CultofMac obviously didn't even read Kuo's report before posting that article. Macrumors and 9to5mac did. Their interpretations of the report are different.

Literally all of these publications are reporting on the exact same source. I don't understand why some people here would "choose" to give credence to the most amateurish when this very site and others handled it already.

because reading articles takes time. Reading headlines doesn’t.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Razer is only charging $300 more for the OLED (plus touchscreen) on an otherwise identical laptop. It's a somewhat expensive option, but not a prohibitive one on a $3000+ machine.

That, of course, doesn't answer the burn-in question...

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
not following these treads too closely, it just seems that it has been a LONG time of rumors, I am doubting this year as well....would be nice, but no recent credible rumors and yes Kuo has been wrong lately, so there's that...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's the paragraph after that:

Kuo now predicts that Apple's refreshed MacBook models will arrive in the second quarter of 2020, suggesting they will feature the much-anticipated scissor mechanism keyboards that the company is adopting wholesale.

But that doesn't mean the 16" MBP isn't coming this year. Kuo referred vaguely to MacBooks with scissor keyboards coming in 2020, but that could be the Air or the 12" or the 13" MBP.
I’d love for it to be the 12” (I really like that model), or a smaller Air, but it is more likely to be an updated MacBook Pro. The existing design turns 4 years old next year, so about the earliest time for a redesign.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Razer is only charging $300 more for the OLED (plus touchscreen) on an otherwise identical laptop. It's a somewhat expensive option, but not a prohibitive one on a $3000+ machine.

That, of course, doesn't answer the burn-in question...

I think while Burn in is real, it isn’t likely to be a problem for the majority. Also we have to remember that a laptop or TV has many points of failures - their are even LED failures that could occur (happened to my Samsung TV recently which I had to repair). Most LED laptops also suffer from backlight bleed from day one which you have to just deal with most of the time.

If we looked at the reasons for returns/repairs for TV/Laptops with OLED, burn in is probably quite low on the list % wise...

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
It seems there is good and bad with an October 2019 16" MBP release..

If it releases in three weeks it will still be using older chips.

If released next year, newer chips and more redesign.

Again...rumored. None of us have definitive information.
Nope, the cpu for the 16" will remain the same until late 2020 or early 2021...there is no 45W 10nm cpu in the near future...so if you want a new cpu and redesign keyboard etc..you need to take into the account the 13" macbook pro that probably for sure it will be updated at WWDC 2020 at max

16" will have the same i7 and i9 as now, probably 93-watt-hour battery, new keyboard, a little different design and a new gpu , probably navi 14...it will be nice if it will come with LPDDR4 RAM...but i dont think so its ready

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Laptops are a special problem for burn-in (well, desktop computer screens are even worse since you are less likely to hide things), because of components that stay in the same place (the Mac menubar, the Dock if you don't have it auto-hiding) and screens that stay on for hours.

TVs rarely have a component that stays in the same place, although those that are always tuned to the same sport (score boxes) or news channel (chyrons (the technical name for those text banners and logos) at the bottom of the screen) are exceptions, and phones, watches, etc. don't stay on for hours of constant use. Even LCDs will burn in in special cases - look at an airport arrival monitor!

Widely circulated OLED laptops are too new to know how big a problem burn-in will be - but "it works for TVs and phones" doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for laptops. The sample size of early OLED Thinkpads and such that are getting to be a few years old is tiny, because OLED carried a $1000+ price premium. The more common OLED laptops with their premiums of a few hundred dollars are too new to be expected to show burn-in yet.

The "no new CPU until 2021" isn't (technically) correct. There will be a new 45w CPU before then (could be any time from now until May or so) - but it'll be YetAnother Lake 14nm++++++++. That's Comet Lake, if I have the names right. There may even be StillAnother Lake 14nm++++++++++ stuffed in there in early 2021 (Rocket Lake), before a 10nm CPU in late 2021 or early 2022. The mobile CPU roadmap leaks I've seen only go through 2020, and they clearly show Comet Lake as the 45w CPU through then.

Rocket Lake shows up on desktop roadmaps that stretch into 2022, and it doesn't get replaced by a 10nm CPU until the end of 2021 or even early 2022. Since the H-series chips are kind of intermediate between the mainstream mobile parts (which mostly transition to 10nm over the next year) and desktop parts (which are stuck at 14nm for a long time) their fate is not clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.