Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Maybe he is being instructed to be vague this time around due to some production issue, you never really know.

yes, the rumors have been wrong before; the last two affecting me were about iPad mini and AirPods. The predictions were flat wrong.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Yikes, the opinions have run wild in this thread.

1. 16" MacBook Pro rumored for October has not been rumored by anyone to be releasing at any later time. Kuo is specifically referencing other MacBooks inheriting the new design features (like keyboard) in their 2020 updates.

2. Apple's quarterly report is being held on Wednesday Oct 30th, which is very unusual. It is always held on a Tuesday. The fair assumption is that Apple is holding an event on Tuesday Oct 29th, which is the reason for the unusual date.

------

If Apple is indeed holding an event, it isn't (just) to show off a single MacBook Pro model. They have to have iPads Pro to show off, or there wouldn't be enough for an event. And despite what some apologists may think, Apple cannot afford to hold off until next year with the iPad Pro. The bending issue is a real problem, which has stopped a significant chunk of the market from even considering one until it is resolved. I have no doubt Apple intended the 2018 model to be a 1.5 to 2 year bet, but the structural issues have undoubtedly forced them to fast track an update. And of course they can't just release an update for that reason, so updating the chip and camera system becomes a necessity.

For that matter, Apple can't afford to go into the holiday season without a keyboard update to offer in the MacBook Pro line, and it is very smart of them to start with the most expensive model. They will sell a ton of them, as it will be the only MacBook with the updated keyboard for several months.

Until a new supply-chain-based rumor surfaces to the contrary, there is every reason to expect these products to be out soon.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
His predictions become accurate close to a product launch, when manufacturing noise he has privileged access to converges to what will actually be released (rather than speculating off prototypes or rumors from design/manufacturers, of which Apple has hundreds of, some which might be for products not due to launch for years, if at all). That is at least my take on his performance over the past several years.
Indeed, as with below I guess every product launch is fluid until it's actually announced on stage/ via press release.

Maybe he is being instructed to be vague this time around due to some production issue, you never really know.

yes, the rumors have been wrong before; the last two affecting me were about iPad mini and AirPods. The predictions were flat wrong.
With the iPad mini at least I believe there was one model that was developed but never released, it would have fit in between the 4 and 5 using the A9 chip.

As Kuo gets a lot of his info out of the supply chain it could well have appeared Apple were readying this model for release before it was pulled for whatever reason at the last moment... I suppose in the same way if the 16" Pro gets pushed back at the last moment (could quite easily happen for any number of reasons) it would appear he's 'wrong' even though he was actually right up to the point Apple changed the plan. Having said this, one analyst says the 16" is already in full production as of last month so if that's accurate it gives huge weight to an imminent release.

neurack

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2019
Remember that as far as release timing goes, Mark Gurman is one of the most accurate. He's rarely wrong when he says something is coming in the same year. Here's a quote from just before this years iPhone event:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ad-pro-16-inch-macbook-pro-airpods-3-features

Also coming in 2019: refreshed versions of the iPad Pro with upgraded cameras and faster chips, an entry-level iPad with a larger screen, new versions of the Apple Watch, and the first revamp to the MacBook Pro laptop in three years, the people said.

Things can certainly change of course, but as far as timing goes he's historically one of the most accurate.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Apple's quarterly report is being held on Wednesday Oct 30th, which is very unusual. It is always held on a Tuesday. The fair assumption is that Apple is holding an event on Tuesday Oct 29th, which is the reason for the unusual date.
I think this is the best hint for an event from Apple itself
So i guess Friday we should see the invites

Last edited:

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
For that matter, Apple can't afford to go into the holiday season without a keyboard update to offer in the MacBook Pro line, and it is very smart of them to start with the most expensive model. They will sell a ton of them, as it will be the only MacBook with the updated keyboard for several months.
I assume you're right, but frustratingly that means that any Apple laptop sold below approx. $2,399 (the current 15" MBP starting price, which might also be the starting price of the 16") will continue to have the not-so-good butterfly keyboard. That's a risky strategy, and I'd assume Apple is trying to replace these keyboards across the entire MBA/MBP lines as soon as possible.

Reactions: AFPBoy

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I assume you're right, but frustratingly that means that any Apple laptop sold below approx. $2,399 (the current 15" MBP starting price, which might also be the starting price of the 16") will continue to have the not-so-good butterfly keyboard. That's a risky strategy, and I'd assume Apple is trying to replace these keyboards across the entire MBA/MBP lines as soon as possible.
I mean...every MacBook model offered today from Pro down is exactly that. So until/unless something changes...this is what's available. This has also been the case for 4 iterations of MacBooks now.

While we might feel like this needed to be solved yesterday, the truth is that it is going to take time.

I have absolutely no doubt about 2 things:

- Apple has absolutely no chance of pushing an all-new top of line Pro MacBook without addressing the keyboard (and by addressing, I mean replacing entirely with a new mechanism).
- Apple will (wisely) introduce the first of this new generation of MacBook as its top-of-the-line, most expensive MacBook Pro model and let that simmer for a few months. What better way to sell it than to solve the biggest problem with the entire MacBook line, and only offer the solution in the most expensive product, for a period of time.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Guys,

There have been numerous reports that the 16" MBP has been already in production. And, yes, PastaPrimav, with a revamped keyboard!

I would say it's most definitely coming this year.

Someone on another forum reminded of something...

An event announcement could be made on October 25th for the 29th.

However, due to the fact that there is an Apple TV+ launch the first week of November, the announcement could spill into that month right after the start of the service.

I still think the 29th will be the announcement as a new Apple TV hardware release could coincide with the launch of the network the first week of November.

Last edited:

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
While we might feel like this needed to be solved yesterday, the truth is that it is going to take time.
Sure, it's just a rather expensive time for Apple. On the one hand their brand (highest quality) continues to suffer, on the other they have to price in repair costs for laptops sold. For example my 13" MBP from 2016 first had its battery swapped (it started swelling), then its keyboard (a few stuck keys), and recently its display (stage lighting effect). In other words, the only thing Apple didn't swap on its own cost on this laptop is the mainboard. Hardware issues as expensive, and every additional laptop sold might cost Apple more than it makes from sales.

Reactions: navaira

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Razer have announced today (and a few Intel Athena project partners have already released) optical mechanical keyboards (so suitable for thin laptops). Wonder if Apple reintroducing scissor mechanisms would make them still behind the competition or if they can really wow us.

Keyboards are a big deal and it would be a shame if Apple don’t manage to be top dog as prior to 2016 I felt Apple had both the best keyboard and track pad. I can only say that about the trackpad now.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Razer have announced today (and a few Intel Athena project partners have already released) optical mechanical keyboards (so suitable for thin laptops).

Wow, those optical keyboards look slick! Would definitely like to try one out.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I doubt Apple will want to skip another release of major products for the 2019 holiday season, which could possibly break records due to USA's record low unemployment rate. Everybody is working so that means more gifts.
I don't really think iPads Pro or high end MacBook Pro fall under the gift category ;)
But regardless, you're right. More money means more money spent. Apple would be foolish to not address iPad Pro and MacBook Pro before this holiday season....2 product lines that customers have strong reasons to avoid until the next version. Never a good thing to have going into the holidays.

Reactions: Ener Ji

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I still think the 29th will be the announcement as a new Apple TV hardware release could coincide with the launch of the network the first week of November.
The 29th is indeed the most likely date simply because the earnings call has been suspiciously moved to the 30th.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Anyone see this? Digital Trends is now reporting that Kuo is explicitly saying the 16" MBP is being delayed until next year:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/16-inch-macbook-pro-delayed-to-2020/
This is nothing but another article referencing the same report. This is nothing new, and just another wrong interpretation.

if that were the correct takeaway from the report, this site and 9to5Mac would have said as much when they ran their own articles on the same day that report was released.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
This is nothing but another article referencing the same report. This is nothing new, and just another wrong interpretation.

if that were the correct takeaway from the report, this site and 9to5Mac would have said as much when they ran their own articles on the same day that report was released.
I think previously that was true, but this one includes a link to Kuo's report. The chart in the report has defintely changed since his original report on the 16" MBP:

s_1ab75555fd8f4609854c38e3909deeb8.png

Also listing the iPad Pro as being delayed as well.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
What if this is correct interpretation? Everyone referring to Kuo reports interprets what he said.
We are talking about rumors and Kuo is becoming very vague.

what we know from him is:
in Feb he made a reference to all new design MacBook Pro available autumn 2019
in June/July he claimed scissor keyboard is in works and MacBook Air will be the first one with it
now he said scissor keyboard will go to MacBook line in 2020.

all the rest are interpretations from different authors referring to Kuo

I really do hope new MBP will be announced in 2 weeks. I just don’t accept statements: no doubts, imminent etc. We DO NOT know for sure.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
I think previously that was true, but this one includes a link to Kuo's report. The chart in the report has defintely changed since his original report on the 16" MBP:

s_1ab75555fd8f4609854c38e3909deeb8.png

Also listing the iPad Pro as being delayed as well.

Wrong, the 9-5 Mac Article published on the 9th of October, has the exact same schedule from Kuo as this Digital Trends article.

Just to re-iterate, there is NO NEW INFORMATION in the last 6 days.

Reactions: MengkeMary

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Wrong, the 9-5 Mac Article published on the 9th of October, has the exact same schedule from Kuo as this Digital Trends article.

Just to re-iterate, there is NO NEW INFORMATION in the last 6 days.
Yup, sorry, you're right... I hadn't looked closely at the previous article, was just comparing it to the original Kuo chart that clearly showed a 2019 16" MBP.

Reactions: cerberusss

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
So basically, things are still looking up for a 29th announcement.

This has been a great read.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Definitely we should know if there is a Oct event on the last week of Oct, by the end of Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.