Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
No hurry with the 16" MBP....let Catalina grow....since it will come preinstalled with Catalina that still has a lot of issues
So late Oct presentation with November or December release its fine...until then , Apple should work on Catalina hard

Aj6658

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
so are we thinking a design refresh mid 2020 for the 13 & 15 inch models with ice lakes?

or do you reckon there might be a processor upgrade along side the 16 model?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
If we will have an 16" , there will be no design refresh for the 15"
[automerge]1571217930[/automerge]
2 days and we will know if we will have another event or not this year

Aj6658

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
Really no 2020 design refresh for the 15" in 2020? Design is getting long in the tooth now, It'll be 4 years since the refresh

Been holding out for ice lake on MacBooks to upgrade

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
so are we thinking a design refresh mid 2020 for the 13 & 15 inch models with ice lakes?

or do you reckon there might be a processor upgrade along side the 16 model?
I wouldn't expect them to do anything further with the 2019 15". They will just keep selling it in it's current configuration at it's current price until they replace it with a cheaper 16" a couple of years down the line (or just kill it and have the line starting from $2,799 like they did with the 2015 model). The 13" might get an update to Ice Lake as the chips are available, quite a big step up (on graphics performance at least) and there's no word on a 14" redesign as yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If we will have an 16" , there will be no design refresh for the 15"
[automerge]1571217930[/automerge]
2 days and we will know if we will have another event or not this year
I'm kind of thinking its just about too late to hold an october event. Apple of course can just roll it out w/o any media coverage. They've done stuff like that with the MBP in the past.

As for redesign on the 15", who knows, it also throws into question the rumor of Apple switching over to ARM. Why release a brand new model in October, only to dump intel months later.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm kind of thinking its just about too late to hold an october event. Apple of course can just roll it out w/o any media coverage. They've done stuff like that with the MBP in the past.

As for redesign on the 15", who knows, it also throws into question the rumor of Apple switching over to ARM. Why release a brand new model in October, only to dump intel months later.
Interesting thought, while a lot of people seem to think the ARM transition will start with just the MBA, I kind of think it actually makes more sense to start high and establish Apple's own chips as really powerful aspirational/desirable configurations rather than a cheap or low end option. That way they generate the excitement that will drive developers to create the apps to run on it, and the customers to try it out, it becomes inherently a more successful move. The whole point of doing it is meant to be so they can start using more exotic form factors, get more power and better battery life, why start off with a dull machine?

If this is the case, I'd expect the 16" MBP to debut at WWDC next year alongside a full announcement for the transition to begin. The 2019 models would linger for those still needing Intel in the mid term (maybe they'd even be generous and give them one last update?) and there would also be ARM versions of the MBA and iMac to help get the devices in peoples hands en-masse quickly.

Reactions: savagemic

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Interesting thought, while a lot of people seem to think the ARM transition will start with just the MBA, I kind of think it actually makes more sense to start high and establish Apple's own chips as really powerful aspirational/desirable configurations rather than a cheap or low end option.
In my opinion it's most feasible to start the transition with a low end product, such as a 12" MacBook (whatever it will be called), for two reasons: a) we know Apple can produce ARM chips with the same single core performance as a MacBook Air, but we haven't seen ARM CPUs with a comparably high multi-core performance, and b) developers will want to test their apps on a ARM cpu, and many developers might prefer not to be forced to purchasing a $3,000 computer just to test their apps (especially as this hardware will have a crippled performance as long as most apps run in a software emulated mode that enables the new ARM cpu to run old code written for Intel).

savagemic

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
Interesting thought, while a lot of people seem to think the ARM transition will start with just the MBA, I kind of think it actually makes more sense to start high and establish Apple's own chips as really powerful aspirational/desirable configurations rather than a cheap or low end option. That way they generate the excitement that will drive developers to create the apps to run on it, and the customers to try it out, it becomes inherently a more successful move. The whole point of doing it is meant to be so they can start using more exotic form factors, get more power and better battery life, why start off with a dull machine?

If this is the case, I'd expect the 16" MBP to debut at WWDC next year alongside a full announcement for the transition to begin. The 2019 models would linger for those still needing Intel in the mid term (maybe they'd even be generous and give them one last update?) and there would also be ARM versions of the MBA and iMac to help get the devices in peoples hands en-masse quickly.

ARM is out of the question for 2019. Developers would have needed a year's notice at least to get their apps ready for the ARM transition. I believe ARM is, at best, coming in 2021.

EDIT: Not to mention they have enough to worry about with a keyboard redesign, overall design refresh, and a new panel.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In my opinion it's most feasible to start the transition with a low end product, such as a 12" MacBook (whatever it will be called), for two reasons: a) we know Apple can produce ARM chips with the same single core performance as a MacBook Air, but we haven't seen ARM CPUs with a comparably high multi-core performance, and b) developers will want to test their apps on a ARM cpu, and many developers might prefer not to be forced to purchasing a $3,000 computer just to test their apps (especially as this hardware will have a crippled performance as long as most apps run in a software emulated mode that enables the new ARM cpu to run old code written for Intel).
Fair points; however, doing it that way might make it difficult to gain traction. If you've got a full 2020 MBP lineup running Intel, the full install base of all macs over the last decade plus and just one new niche machine running ARM, that's not a lot of incentive for developers to put precious resources into developing for the new platform is it? (Comparable to the Touch Bar which has struggled to catch on). In that scenario, they'd be relying almost solely on their diktat to spur developers into action, which is a lot weaker than the incentive of a brand new 16" Pro with more power than any mobile computer Apple has ever made previously for them to play with. Ultimately I guess it depends on whether Apple have the silicon ready yet to completely blow the current MBP out of the water. As for purchasing a new $3K mac for testing, there could be cheaper MBA and iMac options available alongside it for that.

ARM is out of the question for 2019. Developers would have needed a year's notice at least to get their apps ready for the ARM transition. I believe ARM is, at best, coming in 2021.

EDIT: Not to mention they have enough to worry about with a keyboard redesign, overall design refresh, and a new panel.
2019 certainly not, I was thinking more about WWDC 2020 - they launch the transition alongside the hardware it'll run on, but of course they will already have a handful of native flagship Apps ready to run (Final Cut, Photoshop, MS Office, Xcode, etc etc) having worked with developers to get them ready behind the scenes.

Just think it makes more sense to launch into this transition making you want the new computer for all the extra performance it offers rather than it just being something that's happening and you have to put the work in as a developer anyway. I can imagine Phil on stage showing off 2X the performance of the 2019 MacBook Pro with 3X the performance per watt. Something to get excited about, like the Intel transition, rather than a chore to just make your stuff work on a less powerful machine you're not fully familiar with.

savagemic

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
2019 certainly not, I was thinking more about WWDC 2020 - they launch the transition alongside the hardware it'll run on, but of course they will already have a handful of native flagship Apps ready to run (Final Cut, Photoshop, MS Office, Xcode, etc etc) having worked with developers to get them ready behind the scenes.

Just think it makes more sense to launch into this transition making you want the new computer for all the extra performance it offers rather than it just being something that's happening and you have to put the work in as a developer anyway. I can imagine Phil on stage showing off 2X the performance of the 2019 MacBook Pro with 3X the performance per watt. Something to get excited about, like the Intel transition, rather than a chore to just make your stuff work on a less powerful machine you're not fully familiar with.

That's true. This does make me worry about there not being a 16" MBP announcement this year. With these points, I could still see them refreshing the Intel chipset in the 15" and possibly, if they are smart, newly design keyboard. Then just focus on a total redesign in 2020, possibly even with the ARM chips.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017

I'm sure you're aware that eyes have been on the 29th as an event date, since the earnings call has been (strangely) scheduled for the next day (a Wednesday). Not that that has to mean something, but it is odd to say the least.

Having said that, there is no chance of their being an event unless there are updated iPads Pro to announce. Apple would just announce the 16" MacBook Pro via press release if there wasn't something else to fill out an event.

ARM isn't even a factor here. When/if the time comes, it will be announced in advance. Or it will be introduced as a co-processor of some kind, handling only some parts of macOS for a while.

Reactions: alexandero

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
A little bit further analysis on this already great post: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/01/when-to-expect-apple-event-october-2019/

- In the last 5 years, Apple gave an invite with a heads up of 12, 8, 8, 7, and 7 days respectively.
- In 2016, Apple had their annual earnings call on the Oct 25th, which was BEFORE their presentation on the 27th.

So the LATEST day on which Apple would invite the press is on Oct 24 (Thur, next week) and hold the event on Oct 31 (Thur). Based on past data its unlikely that we'll get an invitation this week, but rather early next week.

Next, the 2016 announcement contained only ONE hardware announcement (MBP). The first 40% of the presentation is padded out with a deep delve into software features of iOS and Apple TV. So it's not necessary for there to be an iPad pro update to have an event. In fact, most previous announcements do not mix major updates to both ipad and mac platforms, which makes sense of course as they want the event to have focus.

Overall, my message here is lets stay positive ..for now :)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
A little bit further analysis on this already great post: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/01/when-to-expect-apple-event-october-2019/

- In the last 5 years, Apple gave an invite with a heads up of 12, 8, 8, 7, and 7 days respectively.
- In 2016, Apple had their annual earnings call on the Oct 25th, which was BEFORE their presentation on the 27th.

So the LATEST day on which Apple would invite the press is on Oct 24 (Thur, next week) and hold the event on Oct 31 (Thur). Based on past data its unlikely that we'll get an invitation this week, but rather early next week.

Next, the 2016 announcement contained only ONE hardware announcement (MBP). The first 40% of the presentation is padded out with a deep delve into software features of iOS and Apple TV. So it's not necessary for there to be an iPad pro update to have an event. In fact, most previous announcements do not mix major updates to both ipad and mac platforms, which makes sense of course as they want the event to have focus.

Sound logic, though I'd imagine they would probably shy away from holding an event actually on 31 Oct (Halloween) - divided attention and all that? 29th seems the day it's going to be on if at all, so invites by the 22nd?

Reactions: Ener Ji

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
No hurry with the 16" MBP....let Catalina grow....since it will come preinstalled with Catalina that still has a lot of issues
So late Oct presentation with November or December release its fine...until then , Apple should work on Catalina hard
I've been anxious for the 16" to release, but now I'm starting to think this as well: since I assume I will be "stuck" with Catalina pre-installed, I may end up waiting a few months for the bugs to iron-out as well...

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California

True, but in 2016 the MBP had a complete redesign and a new feature (the touch bar) that took up much of the event. If there are no new features here except a larger screen and a new keyboard, I don't see how that can fill an entire event.

What I find surprising is that there has been absolutely no word about iMacs. What about an iMac redesign? Really? Giant bezels and 5400 rpm HDDs in 2020? Can't believe the extent to which the iMac is being ignored. It would make sense to reveal new iMacs at this event except for the fact that the rumor mill has been completely silent on iMacs.

I guess in this case they could pad the event with a new Apple TV and Apple Tags.

Last edited:

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
What I find surprising is that there has been absolutely no word about iMacs. What about an iMac redesign? Really? Giant bezels and 5400 rpm HDDs in 2020? Can't believe the extent to which the iMac is being ignored.
Why do bezels matter at all? The iMac isn't a portable device. You're not carrying it around, or using it in a mobile context. Shrinking bezels on mobile devices is about minimizing overall volume and weight, and maximizing usable space. This concept simply does not apply to a desktop. It has nothing to do with aesthetics, which I imagine is what you believe it relates too. It doesn't.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Of course it relates to aesthetics and an aging design that's been around for 8 years now, but not entirely. You're trying to argue that Apple doesn't care about maximizing usable space in desktops? Of course they do. Why isn't the Mac Mini larger with better cooling? Why did they make the XDR monitor nearly bezel-less? Why is the new Mac Pro much smaller than the 2012 model?

Anyway, this is off-topic so I won't be discussing this any further on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: afir93

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Never mind me. Just parking it here as I am waiting for the 2020 MBPs to be released. Interested in the 16”, but will go with an updated 15” so long as it also contains the scissor keyboard and the thermal issues are addressed.

Hope there is an Oct event announcement soon. A general release is fine as well.

I will most likely wait a couple of months before buying because Catalina doesn’t seem very stable either. A small bezel design isn’t a must have, but for the money I know I am going to drop on this device, reliability and stability both are.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Of course it relates to aesthetics and an aging design that's been around for 8 years now, but not entirely. You're trying to argue that Apple doesn't care about maximizing usable space in desktops? Of course they do. Why isn't the Mac Mini larger with better cooling? Why did they make the XDR monitor nearly bezel-less? Why is the new Mac Pro much smaller than the 2012 model?

Anyway, this is off-topic so I won't be discussing this any further on this thread.
I'm pretty sure the large bezels are by design. It helps focus on what's on the screen.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So the XDR Display will NOT block things from behind the screen and will not help with the focus?
I wonder how million people can code or work on those slim bezels Dell/Lg displays ..
Lets get real, i understand the chin because houses the ventilation and the speakers...but those bezels were by design, but for 10 years ago

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Why do bezels matter at all? The iMac isn't a portable device. You're not carrying it around, or using it in a mobile context. Shrinking bezels on mobile devices is about minimizing overall volume and weight, and maximizing usable space. This concept simply does not apply to a desktop. It has nothing to do with aesthetics, which I imagine is what you believe it relates too. It doesn't.

Well they shrunk it for TV’s and many monitors now sport thin bezels. An iMac having a larger screen for the same size can only be a good thing.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
I hope there will be a cheaper version of the XDR monitor (for Mac Mini, MBA & MBP users), but it won't happen. There is not a single monitor on the market that would beat iMac 5K in terms of price / screen quality / build quality / aesthethics. 5K 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display is all we ever wanted.

Reactions: c0ppo

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Agreed. It’s designed to help block things from behind the screen being distracting.
Based on Apple's recent record on redesigning (breaking important things, poor thermals for 'thinness', removing useful ports, huge inexplicable price bumps, removing modularity (27" RAM door)) I'd be inclined to look at the 2019 iMacs as a gift rather than a disappointment!

I hope there will be a cheaper version of the XDR monitor (for Mac Mini, MBA & MBP users), but it won't happen. There is not a single monitor on the market that would beat iMac 5K in terms of price / screen quality / build quality / aesthethics. 5K 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display is all we ever wanted.
Aside from the questionable case aesthetics, doesn't the ultrafine 5K use Apple's display panel?

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.