Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Rene Ritchie is on Twitter basically saying an October event won’t happen. Oof.

Lmao. Let’s not get too hung up on what Rene says.
I do know that he’s really good for a completely biased review if you ever need one though.

He’s so far in the bag for Apple he can’t even see the daylight at the top of the lunch sack
[automerge]1571413798[/automerge]
No event needed.

Just silent launch the MacBookPro SE and watch the orders roll in from a big chunk of the longtime and hardcore demographic.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I was hoping the 13” redesign happens in 2019 but it doesn’t look likely. It’s just going to be used for recreational use so it can wait but I’ve been holding off for a while and it’s getting kind of annoying.

I just can’t stand the butterfly keyboard, the 128gb base storage is absurd and hopefully will be changed in the next update, and TouchID works great and all but it just feels outdated and FaceID seems like a no brainer in a laptop. Also invested recently in a WiFi 6 router so that will be a welcomed update to the laptop as well.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Now I suddenly feel regret returning a 2018 MBP 15" with 700 discount. Seems like even with a 2018 model, I will finally get the new keyboard anyway whenever a repair is needed.

I'm not very thrilled about the CPU updates as the 2018 is more than enough. So basically the same machine but much lower price...

I’m still rocking a 2016 MacBook Pro that I got an $1100 discount on. Still rocking the original keyboard, proving that miracles do come true...from time to time.

james948

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2004
I don't see why the bezel wouldn't be the same width all the way around unless they wanted room for face-id in there. Though perhaps I'm missing something.

Makes me think this is a stop-gap. A "we need to get something out before we're ready for a full on design change," measure.

Change the chassis to give it a different keyboard and add something else. Uh, bigger screen. Fine.

So disappointed it's wider.

Reactions: alexandero

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Makes me think this is a stop-gap. A "we need to get something out before we're ready for a full on design change," measure.
At least this might mean that we'll see a 14" and a 16" this year replacing the 13" and 15", without major price hikes. And while I can understand the wish of some people for a really performant 16" laptop costing $3-4,000, I personally am more looking forward to a decent MBP (meaning: keyboard less prune for failures) at the $1,500 price range.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Its the end of the year and pretty much everything has been refreshed aside from the ipp. We just finished up with this years round of iPhone rumors. Next up, the spring event in march. 2020 is gonna be a exciting year for apple products.
I don't know, man. They need to announce the shipping date for the Mac Pro and the XDR. Refresh iPad Pro?

Can someone copy and paste or link to the Rene Ritchie tweet?

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I don't know, man. They need to announce the shipping date for the Mac Pro and the XDR. Refresh iPad Pro?
iPad Pros have been heavily rumored recently to be coming in spring 2020 now, so I wouldn't expect them this year anymore. And I don't see the shipping date for the Mac Pro and XDR display to justify a keynote either – it may happen as a little side-note during a keynote if there is one, but otherwise it seems more suitable for a press release since we already have a lot of info about them. It has also become surprisingly quiet around Apple's Tile competitor, so I'm guessing they are postponing that one aswell until spring or summer next year.

It's also worth noting that we just had a press release announcement for the Beats Solo Pro this week, which is another type of product that you would think Apple would keep for an event two weeks later if there is one. For example, the BeatsX were released at the 2016 iPhone event alongside the AirPods. The fact that they announced them already makes an event even less likely. The only Apple products left to announce this year (that we know of – I'm up for surprises) are the 16" MBP and the AirPods Pro; for everything else, rumors seem to point towards next year, and I don't think either of them are "exciting" enough for an entire event.

My prediction is that we'll see the 16" MBP and the AirPods Pro and release dates for the Mac Pro and Pro Display in the final week of October as a press release, and everything else (iPad Pros, "Apple Tags" and hopefully the redesigned 13" and 15" MacBook Pro with the new keyboard of the 16") at a March event next year. Which is fine, IMO. I'd love to be wrong and to have another Apple event this year, but it would be very surprising at this point, given that it should have been announced in the past week then.

Reactions: Ener Ji

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
iPad Pros have been heavily rumored recently to be coming in spring 2020 now, so I wouldn't expect them this year anymore. And I don't see the shipping date for the Mac Pro and XDR display to justify a keynote either – it may happen as a little side-note during a keynote if there is one, but otherwise it seems more suitable for a press release since we already have a lot of info about them. It has also become surprisingly quiet around Apple's Tile competitor, so I'm guessing they are postponing that one aswell until spring or summer next year.

It's also worth noting that we just had a press release announcement for the Beats Solo Pro this week, which is another type of product that you would think Apple would keep for an event two weeks later if there is one. For example, the BeatsX were released at the 2016 iPhone event alongside the AirPods. The fact that they announced them already makes an event even less likely.

My prediction is that we'll see the 16" MBP and the AirPods Pro and release dates for the Mac Pro and Pro Display in the final week of October as a press release, and everything else (iPad Pros, "Apple Tags" and hopefully the redesigned 13" and 15" MacBook Pro with the new keyboard of the 16") at a March event next year. Which is fine, IMO. I'd love to be wrong and to have another Apple event this year, but it would be very surprising at this point, given that it should have been announced in the past week then.
I’m fine with that—I don’t need an event, just the products!

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Re Timing of the 16.4 MBP. Isn't it going to coincide with the next version of Catalina and are we only on version 2? Thus probaby a month or so away from release?

Perhaps just end of October event w/ November availability?

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
I think Airpod Pro is one of the major hints that gives a 2019 announcement the largest chance of happening.

They need AirPod Pro announcement for the holidays. I can't imagine they'll just let that waddle through in a press release.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
I’m on a rev1 2015 MacBook. 4 years not a single keyboard issue. In fact no issues at all. I’d buy another one for sure if they still made them :p
I’m still rocking a 2016 MacBook Pro that I got an $1100 discount on. Still rocking the original keyboard, proving that miracles do come true...from time to time.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
I think Airpod Pro is one of the major hints that gives a 2019 announcement the largest chance of happening.

They need AirPod Pro announcement for the holidays. I can't imagine they'll just let that waddle through in a press release.
I highly doubt that. AirPods are already flying off the shelves, no need for the holidays to push them. Besides, there is no logic in releasing another variety after releasing an updated version of the aipods a few months ago. They are saving it for next year, for the same reason why they are saving the ‘16 mbp for next year, these devices already have been refreshed this year.

Just accept the fact that there will not be an event this year. Its okay, these oct events are never promised nor guaranteed. In the last 5yrs, oct events are evey other year, this year isnt a year.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
@afir93
You think there will be an updated 15inch and the 16inch side by side?
I wouldn't have thought so, this is the redesign of the 15". The 2019 model might linger on for a while yet to cover the $2,399 price point, but don't expect any changes to it.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
I wouldn't have thought so, this is the redesign of the 15". The 2019 model might linger on for a while yet to cover the $2,399 price point, but don't expect any changes to it.

What I don't get is this, its not even a full redesign, like iPhone 7/8 to iPhone X, so the price should not change that much. It's literary, 1" inch extra, maybe a better screen XDR(read Brighter), better keyboard and maybe better thermals. Most the price should increase is $200 above the current price, so $2,599.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
@afir93
You think there will be an updated 15inch and the 16inch side by side?
It's either what @Falhófnir suggests, or the 16" will be a separate product that sits "above" the current MacBook Pro line, in which case I we will probably get a redesign to the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro at a different date next year and "only" the 16" this year (as per Kuo's rumors from a while ago that the rest of the lineup will be updated next year), in a similar fashion to how the iMac Pro sits above the regulars iMacs, the the 11 Pro above the iPhone 11, the coming AirPods Pro above the regular AirPods, and... well, you get the point.

It's though to say which one of the two possibilities it is, but I'm leaning towards the second one at the moment. If you compare the leaked Catalina image side-by-side with the respective image for the 15" MBP, then you'll see that the overall chassis of the 16" is actually a bit bigger in length and width than the 15"; in other words the form factor changes and the device will be bigger (and therefore heavier) overall. The bezels are also smaller, but it's not just the bezels that enable the screen to be bigger, it's the size of the device aswell. And I find it difficult to believe that Apple would give up the current 15" form factor that has been successful and beloved for so long in favor of a noticeably larger form factor and heavier device, which would essentially happen if Apple made the 16" the successor to the current 15". If the two devices were the exact same size on the Catalina images, then I'd agree with what @Falhófnir's suggestion, but I'm currently leaning towards this being the "iMac Pro of MacBook Pros", rather than the next 15" MacBook Pro.

No matter which of the two it is, I don't think there will be an updated 15" alongside the 16" this year, but for the moment I do expect a refresh/redesign to the 13" and 15" sometime next year. But we'll hopefully know more once the 16" is finally out.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Aj6658

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2019
If we think next is the year of a design refresh, could you reckon that the line up will be 12/14/16 ?

Move away from the traditional 13/15 sizes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.