Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
A little bit further analysis on this already great post: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/01/when-to-expect-apple-event-october-2019/

- In the last 5 years, Apple gave an invite with a heads up of 12, 8, 8, 7, and 7 days respectively.
- In 2016, Apple had their annual earnings call on the Oct 25th, which was BEFORE their presentation on the 27th.

So the LATEST day on which Apple would invite the press is on Oct 24 (Thur, next week) and hold the event on Oct 31 (Thur). Based on past data its unlikely that we'll get an invitation this week, but rather early next week.

Next, the 2016 announcement contained only ONE hardware announcement (MBP). The first 40% of the presentation is padded out with a deep delve into software features of iOS and Apple TV. So it's not necessary for there to be an iPad pro update to have an event. In fact, most previous announcements do not mix major updates to both ipad and mac platforms, which makes sense of course as they want the event to have focus.

Overall, my message here is lets stay positive ..for now :)

Alright makes sense so let's wait and see

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
2021 for me gives them time to work out the kinks. They may add something significant the following year too.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Rene Ritchie is on Twitter basically saying an October event won’t happen. Oof.

Attachments

• 0A1954A5-BC0E-4E47-8715-D1061A03151C.png
    0A1954A5-BC0E-4E47-8715-D1061A03151C.png
    397.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 431B8A0A-E7C0-4B45-8AF6-6C2BB67C9F1C.png
    431B8A0A-E7C0-4B45-8AF6-6C2BB67C9F1C.png
    448.8 KB · Views: 267

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
it has been oddly quiet with the rumors lately if there where to be an announcement in just a handful of days.
Its the end of the year and pretty much everything has been refreshed aside from the ipp. We just finished up with this years round of iPhone rumors. Next up, the spring event in march. 2020 is gonna be a exciting year for apple products.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Its the end of the year and pretty much everything has been refreshed aside from the ipp. We just finished up with this years round of iPhone rumors. Next up, the spring event in march. 2020 is gonna be a exciting year for apple products.

I hope so! My iPhone X is feeling old :).

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Here I am just waiting for whatever 15" or 16" comes next lol

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So its coming..macos catalina latest beta confirms it
I was sure it will be a little bit larger than 15” so better cooling and battery

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 17.23.36.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 17.23.36.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: PastaPrimav

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I was sure it will be a little bit larger than 15” so better cooling and battery

We ain't sure if it's a redesign or a stopgap... Also no rounded corners in the image so let's just wait our horses for now.. Could be FaceID thou

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
We ain't sure if it's a redesign or a stopgap... Also no rounded corners in the image so let's just wait our horses for now.. Could be FaceID thou
No one wants rounded corners. That's fine for the play devices, not for professionals working with real content.
[automerge]1571409087[/automerge]
Rene Ritchie is on Twitter basically saying an October event won’t happen. Oof.
Today alone bud:

It's coming.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
No one wants rounded corners. That's fine for the play devices, not for professionals working with real content.

Today alone bud:

It's coming.

I agree I also don't want rounded corners... I like the current design on the screens

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Today alone bud:

It's coming.
As it's a less significant redesign than most of us were expecting, possibly it will just get a press release? If it's literally just a bit larger/ thicker than the current model, slightly bigger screen, better cooling, new keyboard (which I doubt they want to shout from the rooftops if they're still planning on selling the butterfly models for a few months yet) and there's no significant new features, do they need to run through it on stage? Particularly if it is a stopgap model before the full redesign comes with full XDR mini LED display in another ~18-24 months time.

Reactions: Ener Ji

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i didnt even said redesign..i said its a larger 16" mbp that has the space to have a proper cooling, with 2 larger fans, and 93W battery
[automerge]1571409573[/automerge]
Now, its coming, but Apple must host an event to speak about this, about the airpods pro, about the release date of Xdr display and mac pro? i dont know...1 hour event could happen

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Interesting tidbit: assuming the image is representative of the real thing, which is usually the case, the 16" MacBook Pro (or at least one version of it) either won't have a Touch Bar at all, or will have a physical escape key and the Touch Bar only starts to its' right. You can clearly see a little gap at the top left (and right) end of the keyboard, which would mark the gap between the escape key and either the first fn-key or the leftmost end of the Touch Bar (hard to make out which one). For comparison, if you look at the image for the (existing) 15" MBP, these gaps aren't there (because the Touch Bar is one continuous stripe without "gaps").

So it seems everyone who wanted a physical escape key back will finally get what they wanted :)

mg-6f9922e8-221d-418b-87cd-w1000h1029-sc.jpg
mg-7e65aa1e-61be-45d9-acc7-w1000h1029-sc.jpg

(Images via macg)

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
As it's a less significant redesign than most of us were expecting, possibly it will just get a press release? If it's literally just a bit larger/ thicker than the current model, slightly bigger screen, better cooling, new keyboard (which I doubt they want to shout from the rooftops if they're still planning on selling the butterfly models for a few months yet) and there's no significant new features, do they need to run through it on stage? Particularly if it is a stopgap model before the full redesign comes with full XDR mini LED display in another ~18-24 months time.
I have no idea what you would consider a significant redesign, but replacing the disaster-board and finally getting a display larger than 15.4" is very very significant to me.
[automerge]1571410666[/automerge]
Interesting tidbit: assuming the image is representative of the real thing, which is usually the case, the 16" MacBook Pro (or at least one version of it) either won't have a Touch Bar at all, or will have a physical escape key and the Touch Bar only starts to its' right. You can clearly see a little gap at the top left (and right) end of the keyboard, which would mark the gap between the escape key and either the first fn-key or the leftmost end of the Touch Bar (hard to make out which one). For comparison, if you look at the image for the (existing) 15" MBP, these gaps aren't there (because the Touch Bar is one continuous stripe without "gaps").

So it seems everyone who wanted a physical escape key back will finally get what they wanted :)
This was rumored, and the image backs it up. Huge. Absolutely huge. I can tolerate the Touch Bar (if I have to) as long as there is a physical escape key.

Personally though, after 3 years with a touch bar myself...I'd be happier if it gone (or at least offered without it). I'd prefer a physical escape key, physical volume buttons, and no more Touch ID. Face ID would be infinitely better on the MBP, and short of that I'll just settle for Apple Watch authentication. Touch ID experience is just so bad I've had to turn it off.

Reactions: Dulcimer

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I have no idea what you would consider a significant redesign, but replacing the disaster-board and finally getting a display larger than 15.4" is very very significant to me.
What do you expect them to talk about on stage then, we've fixed the sh*t-sandwich of a keyboard that we're still selling on our other machines and now you have a slightly bigger display area? Don't think that's going to take an hour to run through, seems like it would fit nicely in a press release.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
What do you expect them to talk about on stage then, we've fixed the sh*t-sandwich of a keyboard that we're still selling on our other machines and now you have a slightly bigger display area? Don't think that's going to take an hour to run through, seems like it would fit nicely in a press release.
Now, its coming, but Apple must host an event to speak about this, about the airpods pro, about the release date of Xdr display and mac pro? i dont know...1 hour event could happen
I'm really 50/50 on this. Part of me thinks if Apple doesn't have iPads Pro to announce, I don't think an event is justified. On the other hand, if this MacBook Pro is a legitimate attempt by Apple to give pro customers the laptop they've been asking for since 2016, then they may want a stage for it.

Reactions: Ener Ji

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

View attachment 870556 View attachment 870557

(Images via macg)
very nice catch ,yes the image confirms the touchbar but with physical esc and power buttons. Also a slimmer bezels (sides and top)

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes, thats what i was saying 2 months ago, at first rumour about this...since the lid is so thin....the depth is the big issue here...not the bezel. So yea, big minds think a-like

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm really 50/50 on this. Part of me thinks if Apple doesn't have iPads Pro to announce, I don't think an event is justified. On the other hand, if this MacBook Pro is a legitimate attempt by Apple to give pro customers the laptop they've been asking for since 2016, then they may want a stage for it.
Even with iPads, the only feature I'd call 'significant' is the 3D ToF camera, there's no redesign, and there were even floating rumours it's still going to be using the A12X. This feels more like a generation 4.5 MacBook Pro rather than a full generation 5, call it what the TouchBars should have been from the start. When I say a real redesign I'm expecting that shiny new XDR mini LED backlit display that's on for 2021, probably faceID and a 'squarer' form factor to accommodate it (think the Razer blade, where the screen assembly doesn't taper towards the edges, I think this limits the available space too much for the FID assembly or a better FaceTime camera on the current design). Probably also coinciding with the ARM transition, especially now Anandtech have confirmed the A13 cores are on a par with Intel's best(!). This is effectively Apple giving those who might want to stick with Intel after the transition gets going a decent option with a keyboard that will last the distance, not give you arthritis, and can actually take advantage of Intel's latest >4 core CPUs (don't forget at the time the present generation was in development, Intel were still saying that their roadmap was towards cooler running 10nm CPUs before the 180 in making 6-8 core, much hotter running chips).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.