Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
So a silent press release tomorrow or next Tuesday is my guess. Not sure my wallet is ready, but excited to see what is coming.
Tomorrow would be the deadline for an event invite if one were happening on Oct. 29th, but I'm fairly certain that isn't going to happen. Without new iPads Pro to announce, they are not going to hold an event.

That means a press release announcement for this product will happen at some point, but tomorrow seems early. The latest report has this thing in production now, with release sometime late this month/early next month. If Apple isn't taking the stage to announce it, then I don't expect a press release until the day it is available to order.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Tomorrow would be the deadline for an event invite if one were happening on Oct. 29th, but I'm fairly certain that isn't going to happen. Without new iPads Pro to announce, they are not going to hold an event.

That means a press release announcement for this product will happen at some point, but tomorrow seems early. The latest report has this thing in production now, with release sometime late this month/early next month. If Apple isn't taking the stage to announce it, then I don't expect a press release until the day it is available to order.

Sounds logical. I guess we'll see tomorrow which way it goes.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Increasing the footprint of the15" is for me not desirable. Depending on the internals, price etc, in that case I might just go for the current model
Heh, considering how slim and light Apple has managed to get the MacBook Pro, I would go for it if they came out with an 18"-20" model. ;)

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I'm thinking the 16-inch will have a mobile Xeon processor. It will eclipse the current top tier 15-inch model.

Interesting idea. I could see this happening if Apple wants to begin more strongly differentiating between the mobile "Pro" and non-Pro Macs, much as they have with the desktop iMac Pro and forthcoming Mac Pro.

They also need time to get some of the first built laptops to key media and influencers, and to give them several days to use them and prepare write-ups and videos. Even without an event, there's lots of work behind the scenes to help a new product make a splash.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Heh, considering how slim and light Apple has managed to get the MacBook Pro, I would go for it if they came out with an 18"-20" model. ;)
I would find that way too awkward - I want something that I can use comfortably in an economy aircraft seat. I think sweet spot for me would be if they kept the 15.4" screen size but shrunk in the bezels. Seems they go another way though! In fact a 14" with 32GB RAM and 8 cores would be best for me.... but I'm not expecting that within 5 years ??

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012

Very well could have a press releases where you can order tomorrow, with release date next week and end of October, matching the rumors. Just because they announce it, doesn't mean it is available in stores the same day as announcement.

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
Who is still using a MacBook Pro Retina Display (Mid) 2012? Mine runs well after almost 7 years. If Apple doesn't do anything about their quality/price, I will wait till fall 2020. At some point they will release a decent MacBook Pro just like with the iPhone 11 Pro but 2020 looks like the year when Apple will catch up for the lost time in my own opinion. I hope it comes with Face ID, no Touch ID and definitely no TouchBar.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
They also need time to get some of the first built laptops to key media and influencers, and to give them several days to use them and prepare write-ups and videos. Even without an event, there's lots of work behind the scenes to help a new product make a splash.
Agreed. This is a better strategy. It's a more personal look at what's changed, especially if the overall design is similar. This could be announced next week, but shipping in a few weeks. We have to consider where the beta of 10.15.1 is at. It has to be loaded on all of the computers before it ships from the factory. Since we're only on beta 2, might there be another 10.15.1 beta out tomorrow?

I'm thinking the more substantial redesign of the MacBook Pro are in the pipeline for late 2020 / early 2021. We might get an updated 13-inch MBP early next year, around March or April with 10nm Intel, but perhaps a year or so from now we'll see an ARM-based MacBook Air. The design cues on the new Air will broadly unveil the future design language for the next MBP.

In the interim I don't think we're getting Face ID. Promotion would be killer though!

Reactions: Ener Ji

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Who is still using a MacBook Pro Retina Display (Mid) 2012? Mine runs well after almost 7 years. If Apple doesn't do anything about their quality/price, I will wait till fall 2020. At some point they will release a decent MacBook Pro just like with the iPhone 11 Pro but 2020 looks like the year when Apple will catch up for the lost time in my own opinion. I hope it comes with Face ID, no Touch ID and definitely no TouchBar.

I am! I'm badly in need of an upgrade, though, and don't think I will be able to wait until Fall 2020. It's probably this 16" or bust for me.

That said, my 2012 rMBP is still going strong and it will become my new backup computer. I'm planning to upgrade to Mojave next weekend to maintain 32-bit software support with security updates for at least two more years.

Reactions: Falhófnir

rcianpandacian

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
They focus on fluff bs like the touchbar and an extra inch on the screen instead of focusing on what is really key for the macbook pro: cooling that actually cools the processor enough to turbo boost and maybe a gpu that is actually competitive. Or just slap ice lake onto the 13 inch macbook pro and call it a day.

• Haha
Reactions: fokmik

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
They focus on fluff bs like the touchbar and an extra inch on the screen instead of focusing on what is really key for the macbook pro: cooling that actually cools the processor enough to turbo boost and maybe a gpu that is actually competitive. Or just slap ice lake onto the 13 inch macbook pro and call it a day.
since they make it larger and not in the same chassing as the current 15"....how do you know the extra room is not for cooling and battery? the focus on touch bar was in 2015-2016...what do you think will do now? make it touchbar 2? or why are you saying that they are NOT focusing on cooling but on touchbar?? you already bought the new 16" MBP and we dont know?you are an windows guy that just flaming..jesus these kids today that come here just to cry about devices that arent even out yet...not just they arent out yet..but not officials announced either

rcianpandacian

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
since they make it larger and not in the same chassing as the current 15"....how do you know the extra room is not for cooling and battery? the focus on touch bar was in 2015-2016...what do you think will do now? make it touchbar 2? or why are you saying that they are NOT focusing on cooling but on touchbar?? you already bought the new 16" MBP and we dont know?you are an windows guy that just flaming

I saw an article that said the dimensions of the supposed 16 inch macbook pro are going to be the same as the 15 inch. What im saying is that they shouldn't have constrained the performance of the processor on the 15 inch macbook pro to make it so thin. So instead of making a tool for us programmers they made a tool that is inferior to the competition. They should have added proper cooling to the macbook 15 inch and a proper gpu like the competition. Every one is packing rtx 2080 on their laptops why cant apple? The thin and stylish model was the macbook air the macbook pro was supposed to be for professionals. I dont care if the screen has one more inch or not and i dont mind the touch bar but i do want my processor to be able to turbo boost. I might even make do with the crappy radeon 560x graphics card. But the cooling issues are inexcusable.

And no im not a windows guy I'd still rather use an overpriced and underperfoming mac than a windows computer.

I really do hope that they rectify with this supposed 16 inch model but the odds dont look good to me i hope im wrong.

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
macOS catalina showed us the mbp will be slighty bigger...so i hope this will be the case
What portable laptop has rtx 2080? i tell you ...17" or heavy laptops 15"...if you want 2080 you should go with windows desktop or bigger laptops...since apple , if you dont know , is not supporting nvidia...if someone wants an proper gpu card..like vega 64 they buy and use an eGPu...why should the gpu be inside of an laptop that should be also portable ..since power hungry gpu heats and destroy the battery insdie literally ?! buy an egpu that has its own cooling and protect your laptop this way
So please...tell me why you say EVERYONE is packing rtx 2080....i was looking at XPS 15"...no 2080...i was looking at lenovo 15" no 2080...so??even razer 15" is packing 2080 MAX-Q and not the normal one.. you know the definition of everyone? or you just like to flame?

Last edited:

rcianpandacian

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
macOS catalina showed us the mbp will be slighty bigger...so i hope this will be the case
What portable laptop has rtx 2080? i tell you ...17" or very heavy laptops 15"...if you want 2080 you should go with windows desktop or bigger laptops...since apple , if you dont know , is not supporting nvidia...
So please...tell me why you say EVERYONE is packing rtx 2080....i was looking at XPS 15"...no 2080...i was looking at lenovo 15" no 2080...so??even razer 15" is packing 2080 MAX-Q and not the normal one.. you know the definition of everyone? or you just like to flame?

a lot of laptops are packing at least a rtx 2060. i returned a predator helios 300 with 1660 ti while i confirmed that windows is now an even bigger mess than it used to be. the 560x is weak compared to what a lot of laptops are packing.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
from "everyone is packing 2080" now we go to 2060? Ok ok..and from "im not a windows guy" to "i returned my 5.5lbs predator" that is a mac laptop right?!?
Jesus...vega20 is crushing in video editing even 2060....in games/openGL apps is not...so stay with your windows and games..macs never was build for games...still, with an eGpu vega 56/64 i heard a lot of people can game even with their 13"/15" MBP
So do us a favour and do yourself a favour and go with an 15" 2080 Max-Q and be happy instead to cry and feel miserable about Apple....life is short...to buy with your own money something that you are not happy and dreaming the cars can fly...is not healthy

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'm thinking the 16-inch will have a mobile Xeon processor. It will eclipse the current top tier 15-inch model.

That is possible and I sincerely hope that they won't do it. It would raise the price without actually offering anything of the value to the customer.

Reactions: Ener Ji

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think xeon supports eec memory and up to 64 ddr4 instead of 32..i think,im not sure

They both support up to 128GB RAM (not that you will get it in a MBP — there is not enough space for so many RAM chips), and as to ECC... does one really need it in a laptop? Chips sold as Xeons are likely to be better tested and maybe they'd be more power-efficient on average, but would it justify an inevitable $300 price increase? Not to mention that with quantities that Apple requires Intel would need to lower their standards on which chip to label as Xeon anyway.

I think it would really suck if higher-end mobile performance were to be priced out of most customer's reach. The current 15" is already expensive enough. Xeons and ECC would look good on paper (aka. "look, we do support Pros!"), but in the end they don't bring enough practical value to justify a hefty price premium.

In the end, if we get a 16" with Xeon and HBM2 Navi 14 for the same price as the current Vega MBP, I'd be ok with it. But if its more expensive... ugh...

Reactions: The Mercurian

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
"They both support up to 128GB RAM"
are you sure the mobile 45W 9th gen Intel chip supports up to 128gb ram?

"The i9-8XXX is the top-tier CPU in Intel’s Coffee Lake H line of performance processors for mobile computers. It gets 12 threads, 12 MB of cache memory, a standard frequency of 2.9 GHz and a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 4.8 GHz (we’ll get to that in a bit), and supports up to 64 GB of DDR4 2666 MHz of dual-channel RAM."

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
are you sure the mobile 45W 9th gen Intel chip supports up to 128gb ram?

The only difference between Xeon and non-Xeon are ECC support (meh) and all the trusted platform features (irrelevant since Apple has their own security processor). And boy, those CPUs are expensive! I mean, volume purchase price for a single Xeon is $629, that would easily translate to $1000 end customer price for the CPU alone!

Reactions: fokmik

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I guess navi 14 is a given...the i9 also, 32gb ram also...lets hope a better cooling with bigger fans and 93W battery thanks to its bigger chassis
[automerge]1571733366[/automerge]

The only difference between Xeon and non-Xeon are ECC support (meh) and all the trusted platform features (irrelevant since Apple has their own security processor). And boy, those CPUs are expensive! I mean, volume purchase price for a single Xeon is $629, that would easily translate to $1000 end customer price for the CPU alone!
I dont think Apple will go back to LPddr3 to support up to 128gb ram even no one needs that ...DDR4 supports up to 64gb ram..and i think there are people who use this as their primary mac work station and 64 will be fine and enough.. Yes, if Xeon is diff just for ECC is not enough...but i heard these Xeon will run cooler also...and if this real...i would prefer xeon

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I dont think Apple will go back to LPddr3 to support up to 128gb ram even no one needs that

To support 128GB with LPDDR3 they'd need to fit 128 RAM chips on the logic board. That would be a bit crazy, don't you think?

...DDR4 supports up to 64gb ram..and i think there are people who use this as their primary mac work station and 64 will be fine and enough..

Do you have any technical reference that says that DDR4 is capped at 64GB? I'm sure its the other way around. But all these theoretical considerations aside, Apple would need to fit in 32 RAM chips on the board to support 64GB RAM, and that is not going to happen. There is just no space.

Yes, if Xeon is diff just for ECC is not enough...but i heard these Xeon will run cooler also...and if this real...i would prefer xeon

You would pay $4500 for a MacBook Pro for under 5% CPU performance increase under maximal load? "Runs cooler" simply means can boost higher at the same temperature. The CPU will still run at 100C under load, no worries ;) Unless Apple changes how they manage CPU power.

Reactions: The Mercurian

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Assuming the 16" is a Xeon-packing 'iMac Pro mobile' with a price to match, it would be nice if they maybe dialled back the options on an updated (new keyboard) 15" in the spring, offering i5 or i7 rather than i7 or i9 and 8GB or 16GB RAM rather than 16GB or 32 (so more like the 13") for those of us who just want a nice general-use MacBook with a bit of power behind it to help it last the distance. I'm sure by doing the above maybe also using a slightly less bleeding edge 2016 type SSD and a lower end 550X graphics card they could shave the price back to around the $1,999 mark.

(The above isn't what I'm currently expecting based on leaks; I expect the 16" to replace the 15" using pretty much the same internals as was rumoured. Just a bit of navel gazing).

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You would pay $4500 for a MacBook Pro for under 5% CPU performance increase under maximal load? "Runs cooler" simply means can boost higher at the same temperature. The CPU will still run at 100C under load, no worries ;) Unless Apple changes how they manage CPU power.
No, they limit the W...since the imac pro is working so great under full load without reaching 100C...an 16" MBP with 2 bigger fans , same W as the current one...means under 92C under full load...dont forget the current Vega20 MBP that runs around 7-8C cooler than the 555-560X MBP...Yes, i would pay 4500$ for an 512/1T ssd, 32 gb ram, with perfect realiable keyboard, with navi 14, 8cores , 16.4" display, 93W battery that runs under 90C under load

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.