Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You said "Apple does not run their chips hotter than Intel recommended,"
So...yea...can you focus about what we are talking or...?because I NEVER said that Apple runs cpu hotter than Intel recommend...because its abusurd since Intel limit the cpu around 100-105C and then thermal thro . I think you suffer from functional illiteracy
You have an evidence that an thin laptop like a mbp can run at full potential? remember im talking about 15" with dGPU...so yes...if you live on the internet ok, but im living real life..and we cant use our MBP at full pottential in summer days unless we work in ambient room with temp under 23C...remember full potential so cpu+dgpu...if you touch the mbp your hand will burn until it restarts, and we had to buy imacs pro...and probably the new mac pro. I bet you never saw either iphone that stop working with a message that warns you iPhone needs to cool down because of summer temp and working your iphone hard etc. Physics cannot be dodged...
So, yea, dont tell me what i want and would be nice about the upcoming 2020 MBP...i want a PRO machine not a hotcake that looks slim and burns....if i wanted that there is Macbook Air..and not long ago ...12" macbook
So take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself...its clear you are just an casual user..based on your claims. Im out of this discussion because im wasting my time with children that want toys and not PRO level devices. Feel free to reply as much as you want but dont be surprised if im not replying to you anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: cool11

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
So...yea...can you focus about what we are talking or...?because I NEVER said that Apple runs cpu hotter than Intel recommend...because its abusurd since Intel limit the cpu around 100-105C and then thermal thro is causing for the temp to go down a little bit.
You have an evidence that an thin laptop like a mbp can run at full potential? remember im talking about 15" with dGPU...so yes...if you live on the internet ok, but im living real life..and we cant use our MBP at full pottential in summer days unless we work in ambient room with temp under 23C...remember full potential so cpu+dgpu...if you touch the mbp your hand will burn, and we had to buy imacs pro...and probably the new mac pro
So, yea, dont tell me what i want and would be nice about the upcoming 2020 MBP...i want a PRO machine not a hotcake that looks slim and burns....if i wanted that there is Macbook Air..and not long ago ...12" macbook
So take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself...its clear you are just an casual user..based on your claims. Im out of this discussion because im wasting my time with children that want toys and not PRO level deives
It sounds like what you want is a desktop.

Some people just cannot, for whatever reason, comprehend that a laptop is not the equivalent of a desktop, and cannot be used the exact same way.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

Some people just cannot, for whatever reason, comprehend that a laptop is not the equivalent of a desktop, and cannot be used the exact same way.
yes, we kept some 2012 r MBP as an casual, medium work,( i even bought for myself the 2018 MBP) and we bought imac pros....and im very curios to see the mac pro,probably will buy one unit with medium config since the base one is a joke...and see how it goes...and maybe those imac pros will become mac pros...but again...i would not mind if Apple will make the 2020 MBP a little bit thicker, with 2 larger fans and navi 12 or 14 gpu. Look how great are iphones doing now because Apple forget about the pursuit for thinnest ....people started to buy them....and i think this will be the case for MBP too...if they bring proper cooling, proper keyboard, dont mess with the trackpad...i think they will have a winner even if the cost will be around 3000-4000$...it will just show that Apple is changing and also will show a hint for the upcoming 13"/14" MBP from the next year. They can bring back the mac, even if the macOS Catalins suffers...but that its software and software can be fixed with updates

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You have an evidence that an thin laptop like a mbp can run at full potential?

Full potential in regards to what? Are you talking about what the chip can theoretically deliver? Then no — because mobile and desktop chips are exactly the same thing. You could take the MBP CPU out, place it into an overlocker-grade desktop cooling system and watch it boost to 5.0 indefinitely. There are some laptops like that too. Does it make the MBP inferior? Not really, since you are giving up a lot of features that makes it a compelling product in the first place.

Or are you talking about "can it run how it is supposed to"? Sure it does. It operates within the spec if it can maintain the base clock under full load, and it can (it even goes above the spec). There are some laptops that do better, there are some that do worth. But most of them perform as advertised.

And of course if your ambient temperature is 50C and you are working outside under hot sun you are going to have issues. A slightly cooler CPU is not going to change that.

So yes, it sounds to me like you are bringing the wrong tool for the job. Modern laptops are amazing as they offer you almost desktop-level performance while also maintaining full-day battery life for light use and being light enough to fit into a small messenger bag. But you don't get all that for free, there are plenty of drawbacks as well.

i would not mind if Apple will make the 2020 MBP a little bit thicker, with 2 larger fans and navi 12 or 14 gpu. Look how great are iphones doing now because Apple forget about the pursuit for thinnest ....people started to buy them....and i think this will be the case for MBP too...if they bring proper cooling, proper keyboard, dont mess with the trackpad...i think they will have a winner even if the cost will be around 3000-4000$...it will just show that Apple is changing and also will show a hint for the upcoming 13"/14" MBP from the next year.

To get what you want "little bit thicker" won't do anything. Don't forget that touch bar has better cooling than any previous MacBook Pro, despite being thinner. And the 2019 comes with fastest mobile CPUs that are currently commercially available and its CPU performance is within 30% of 5.5kg gaming behemoths that have more cooling power than most desktops.

Reactions: Ener Ji

charliebarley

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
OK so looks like we're not getting an event this month as today would be the last day to give 7 days notice for an event on the 29th. I'm guessing then this means to expect a press release any day now before Nov 1st? If we get to Nov 1st and nothing has been announced we'll have to re-think.

Reactions: Baldrake

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
So...yea...can you focus about what we are talking or...?because I NEVER said that Apple runs cpu hotter than Intel recommend...because its abusurd since Intel limit the cpu around 100-105C and then thermal thro . I think you suffer from functional illiteracy
You have an evidence that an thin laptop like a mbp can run at full potential? remember im talking about 15" with dGPU...so yes...if you live on the internet ok, but im living real life..and we cant use our MBP at full pottential in summer days unless we work in ambient room with temp under 23C...remember full potential so cpu+dgpu...if you touch the mbp your hand will burn until it restarts, and we had to buy imacs pro...and probably the new mac pro. I bet you never saw either iphone that stop working with a message that warns you iPhone needs to cool down because of summer temp and working your iphone hard etc. Physics cannot be dodged...
So take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself...its clear you are just an casual user..based on your claims. Im out of this discussion because im wasting my time with children that want toys and not PRO level devices. Feel free to reply as much as you want but dont be surprised if im not replying to you anymore

Refuses to back up original comment - goes off tangent and just more ranting once called out on it - I think it’s time to block you, your general posts have been very much useless and low quality.

You carry on with your incomprehensible rambling and talking AT people, I’d rather not converse with a brick wall.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes no events this year
[automerge]1571767623[/automerge]
Lets hope for press release by the end of October

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

Yeah but bloody Ryanair get all pissy when I try to bring the desktop as carry on, and they never have the right socket to plug it in! ?

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
“And that there is another problem: CUDA can only run on a subset of Apple devices. CUDA doesn't run on the iPhone. It doesn't run on the iPad. It won't run on Macs with AMD GPUs. It won't run with Macs that don't have a discrete GPU. And it won't run on future ARM SOC Macs.

Nvidia uses CUDA to push Tegra and their GPUs. Apple won't endorse CUDA because Nvidia is using it to directly try and push the iPhone off the market through Tegra based Android competitors”
So lets hope for more dgpu macs laptops

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
What we need is some info regarding specs sooner or later.

If it’s a very good upgrade in terms of display/GPU/Keyboard then it will be a no brainer moving from the 13”

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Forti

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2018
Gdynia, Poland
Are you going from 13” to this 16” or wait for the next redesign 13/14” next year?

Depends on the price and keyboard to be honest. I've used only 13" macbooks for couple of years. 15" was always waay to big for me.

But I'm tired of this keyboard - it's broken second time this year (replaced 5 mounths ago), and my macbook is closed almost 90% of work time - I'm using magic keyboard all the time... well.. almost all the time. 2-3 times in month I'm traveling for 1-2 days.

so, if the price will be resonable (for me it's $3000-$3500 max for i5 / 16 / 256, so if I'm correct it's similar to current macbook 15" ?) and there will be new keyboard - I will probably go for it.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
OK so looks like we're not getting an event this month as today would be the last day to give 7 days notice for an event on the 29th. I'm guessing then this means to expect a press release any day now before Nov 1st? If we get to Nov 1st and nothing has been announced we'll have to re-think.

Apple's new hardware product press releases are almost always on either Monday or Tuesday, with Tuesday being more popular IIRC. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll hear good news by Tuesday morning...

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
Apple also has a track record of releasing .1 releases in the last week of october. So add that with the icon that was found in the beta it might be a possibility.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Apple also has a track record of releasing .1 releases in the last week of october. So add that with the icon that was found in the beta it might be a possibility.

Sure the beta icon just means we getting closer I'm sure of it!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
Depends on the price and keyboard to be honest. I've used only 13" macbooks for couple of years. 15" was always waay to big for me.

But I'm tired of this keyboard - it's broken second time this year (replaced 5 mounths ago), and my macbook is closed almost 90% of work time - I'm using magic keyboard all the time... well.. almost all the time. 2-3 times in month I'm traveling for 1-2 days.

so, if the price will be resonable (for me it's $3000-$3500 max for i5 / 16 / 256, so if I'm correct it's similar to current macbook 15" ?) and there will be new keyboard - I will probably go for it.
I hear ya about the 13" but there is noting like the extra screen size, unless you travel a lot..... just feels so much more productive to me than a 13" (15" 2019)... maybe just me...

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
About the 16" much-rumoured to be dropping soon...

Do you all think this is the last gasp of the 2016 MBP design? I.e., bigger screen and better keyboard in same 2016 chassis? But brand new MBP design still to come in 2020.

Or is this the first of the 2020 redesign? I.e., the next generation of MBPs will be similar to this generation's in industrial design, but with better keyboards, bigger screens/smaller bezels, different processors, etc.

I'd been assuming we were on track for the next generation of MBP design, but maybe there's little room to improve on the current form factor, and they'll be maintaining it with minor variations for the next circa four years. What do you all think?

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
About the 16" much-rumoured to be dropping soon...

Do you all think this is the last gasp of the 2016 MBP design? I.e., bigger screen and better keyboard in same 2016 chassis? But brand new MBP design still to come in 2020.

Or is this the first of the 2020 redesign? I.e., the next generation of MBPs will be similar to this generation's in industrial design, but with better keyboards, bigger screens/smaller bezels, different processors, etc.

I'd been assuming we were on track for the next generation of MBP design, but maybe there's little room to improve on the current form factor, and they'll be maintaining it with minor variations for the next circa four years. What do you all think?
I really dislike the way people use the phrase "redesign". The 16" is a redesign. In many more ways than you'll ever realize or appreciate. Unless it visibly looks dramatically different, you'll just call it "the old design".

The 16" redesigns the display, to fit a larger display into the same size housing as before. Undoubtedly the display itself features new display technology yet to appear in a Mac laptop.
The 16" redesigns the keyboard entirely.
The 16" will have a whole new class of internals: CPU, Storage, RAM, Graphics.

These all new design attributes will premiere in this product, and trickle down to the rest of the MacBook line over time. There is no other kind of "redesign" on the horizon.

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
For sure, I get what you're saying. It's like how people often didn't acknowledge the big changes that got made in the "S" models of the phones. But I think you understand what I meant - there was a major redesign of the chassis in 2012 and 2016 that went far beyond the usual incremental update we get year by year.

In any case, you appear to be coming down on the side of my option B, that this is the leading edge of the 2020 redesign and we won't be seeing a radically different chassis this generation.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I don't need a complete redesign and I don't want change for the sake of change, but I do think they could improve the cooling as well as put a better webcam in (potentially--unless truly the 720p is all that can fit in the lid). That in addition to the new keyboard and larger screen which are guarantees is all I would ask for.

Reactions: Ener Ji

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Or is this the first of the 2020 redesign? I.e., the next generation of MBPs will be similar to this generation's in industrial design, but with better keyboards, bigger screens/smaller bezels, different processors, etc

My personal opinion is that the rumoured 16" is the 2020 redesign for the 15", just a bit earlier. I mean, we still don't know if its even coming :)
[automerge]1571849427[/automerge]
The 16" will have a whole new class of internals: CPU, Storage, RAM, Graphics.

What kind of new internals do you expect? Sure, new GPU is a given (not to mention that AMD conveniently released suitable chips some days ago), but the MBP is currently shipping with fastest mobile CPUs money can buy and there is nothing new coming in that department until later in 2020...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.