Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If it's a new scissor keyboard and larger screen in there, to me that's a pretty major re-design.

I hope they didn't go crazy (in a bad way) on the keyboard.
Something akin to the latest desktop Magic Keyboard we have now would be perfect in there.

Reactions: navaira

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
If it's a new scissor keyboard and larger screen in there, to me that's a pretty major re-design.

Something akin to the latest desktop Magic Keyboard we have now would be perfect in there.

Agree. They will probably make some efforts to improve cooling as well. The last generation of MBPs was designed in an age when it was looking like things would, if anything, move down in power usage as the idea of "fast enough for a laptop" (even a "pro" one) and sticking with 4 cores seemed like the way things were going. Now, we're back to trying to cram as many cores and as many GhZ into a laptop as possible.

Its also looking like they are modifying the touch bar. Physical escape keys and finger print readers maybe? A new class of GPUs too. We'll see if they do anything with the ports or the track pad...

And honestly, what the heck would be a major redesign anyway? It doesn't need to get thinner. In fact, I'd be perfectly happy with a few extra millimeters to improve cooling, have some extra battery and space for that scissor keyboard. What else needs to change? Do the corners need to be less rounded?

Reactions: 09872738

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
And honestly, what the heck would be a major redesign anyway? It doesn't need to get thinner. In fact, I'd be perfectly happy with a few extra millimeters to improve cooling, have some extra battery and space for that scissor keyboard. What else needs to change? Do the corners need to be less rounded?

Totally agree..

There's only so much one can do with laptops at this point, barring some very wild stuff Apple isn't inclined to do anyhow (hybrid/convertible/touch, etc)

They don't need to do drastic things.
Just keep iterating and making things better.

The keyboard is the one major thing that they need to address and it sounds like they will, so that's great to hear.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Yes, please God, give us a better webcam. Please. ?

I don't need to see my buggers in 1080! But sure, a better webcam would be fine too.
[automerge]1571856587[/automerge]
Totally agree..

There's only so much one can do with laptops at this point, barring some very wild stuff Apple isn't inclined to do anyhow (hybrid/convertible/touch, etc)

They don't need to do drastic things.
Just keep iterating and making things better.

The keyboard is the one major thing that they need to address and it sounds like they will, so that's great to hear.

Yep, look around at other relatively long running successful, professional style laptops. They haven't changed much in a very long time now. Apple doesn't need to reinvent the wheel. Just make it roll smoothly, quickly and efficiently.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Trying the surface laptop 3 15” for 2 and a half days...i will probably return it...i dont get it....
The build and looks is up there with the macs, the keyboard its nice...but the rest of it..i already changed 1 because of the backlight bleed...the second one has it too...you place the same performance in 15”as the 13" one , so nowhere near around my 15" 2018 45W cpu and dgpu...this one has vega 9 and the cpu 15W ryzen cant get over 6 hours, with around 150nits light web (i wonder how the battery is on the 13" since that one has almost the same perf but less battery capacity )...usbC 1 port but no TB3...usbA and headphone jack and thats it...touchscreen forget it...the screen wobbles too much and ..fingerprints...
Lastly, the display will flicker at the frequency 21370 MHz when set to a brightness level of 50 percent or dimmer

Last edited:
Reactions: cerberusss

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North

My guess is, the keyboard on the 16 is going to be pretty similar to the existing butterfly keyboard. They don’t magically have more space to work with, so the travel is still going to be very small.

That’s partly why I wonder if 2020 will bring a significant chassis redesign. Making it even a couple of mm thicker to allow more travel on the keyboard would be awesome.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
But that's what I don't get--if this isn't a chassis redesign, then why not just update the 15" with a new keyboard since that's what really needs addressing? Based on these rumors it seems like this is going to be a "stepping stone" laptop. Somewhere in-between a simple keyboard update to the existing line and a significant chassis redesign.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
But that's what I don't get--if this isn't a chassis redesign, then why not just update the 15" with a new keyboard since that's what really needs addressing? Based on these rumors it seems like this is going to be a "stepping stone" laptop. Somewhere in-between a simple keyboard update to the existing line and a significant chassis redesign.

It's possible they worked backwards from needing a bit more depth (height of chassis) for a scissor keyboard and thus had to make the case a touch bigger to fit in all the components and they quickly realized the thing to do here is stretch it a bit on length/width, bump the screen up a touch in the process, etc..

I won't be surprised if this machine is a bit of a "one-off" for people who prefer a non-butterfly, pro-oriented machine with more connectivity, power and screen real estate.

I really think it could be a MacBookPro SE/Classic type of thing meant to address those who still prefer the 2015 15" Machines for a lot of reasons.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
It's possible they worked backwards from needing a bit more depth (height of chassis) for a scissor keyboard and thus had to make the case a touch bigger to fit in all the components and they quickly realized the thing to do here is stretch it a bit on length/width, bump the screen up a touch in the process, etc..

I won't be surprised if this machine is a bit of a "one-off" for people who prefer a non-butterfly, pro-oriented machine with more connectivity, power and screen real estate.

I really think it could be a MacBookPro SE/Classic type of thing meant to address those who still prefer the 2015 15" Machines for a lot of reasons.

I get the whole "pro pro" or "pro se" thing, but there was information that these keyboards will be rolled out to all models in 2020.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

The thing is though Apple really doesn't do one-offs. Or at least, it doesn't plan to. The trash can Mac Pro ended up being one, but that was mostly because Intel and AMD boxed them in with that thermal design (which was always stupid, but still). Its more likely this is the "redesign" and the changes will trickle down the line up in 2020.

Reactions: Ener Ji

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Trying the surface laptop 3 15” for 2 and a half days...i will probably return it...i dont get it....

Well, it’s a consumer ultrabook, what did you expect. And surface machines were always quite buggy. I’m quite surprised at the bad battery life though, I’d think it would be much better.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Apple can always do weird things, but I'd be surprised if they did a minor redesign on a 3 year old machine, then immediately redesigned it again. I have a strong feeling that whatever we get is going to be the big MBP design for the next 3-4 years (and maybe the last Intel big MBP - in 4 years, they could have ARM chips powerful enough, and have gotten enough software running on ARM from using it on smaller laptops).

Nearly certain:
16" screen
New keyboard

More likely than not:
Better cooling
64 GB RAM capacity
Navi (at least as an option)
Improved or cheaper storage options - either a boost in base storage, cheaper upgrades or both - maybe faster, too

Unlikely:
128 GB RAM capacity
Any real change to the CPUs (such as Comet Lake)
Substantially different ports
Increased maximum storage (4 TB is already huge)

Impossible:
Major CPU change (AMD, ARM or Ice Lake)
NVidia graphics

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
My guess is, the keyboard on the 16 is going to be pretty similar to the existing butterfly keyboard. They don’t magically have more space to
Since the surface laptop is quite small and thin and the keyboard feel nice..apple has the space to build a good keyboard also
Here we are talking about the mbp and not the 12” macbook..no wonder that mac was disc since probably the new keyboard wouldn’t fit into that chassis but i to the mbp can fit without sacrificing the battery inside

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
More likely than not:
64 GB RAM capacity

What makes you believe that? Maximal capacity of a DDR4 is 16Gb as far as I know... Apple uses 16 such chips, and their current configuration is either 16 chips a 8Gb = 16GB total or 16 chips a 16Gb = 32GB total. To offer 64GB they would need to either a) use 32 RAM chips (not possible without making the form factor much bulkier, these things take a lot of space!) or b) use some sort of non-standard 32Gb chips (I think Samsung announced some stacked DRAM, but no idea if that is supported by regular memory controllers).

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Well, it’s a consumer ultrabook, what did you expect. And surface machines were always quite buggy. I’m quite surprised at the bad battery life though, I’d think it would be much better.
I expected an consumer/travel with a good battery ultrabook with a good screen. Thats why i picked the 15” to give me at least 10 hours..but not an issue since ill return it,and yes I didn’t know about the surface laptop issues

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
What makes you believe that? Maximal capacity of a DDR4 is 16Gb as far as I know... Apple uses 16 such chips, and their current configuration is either 16 chips a 8Gb = 16GB total or 16 chips a 16Gb = 32GB total. To offer 64GB they would need to either a) use 32 RAM chips (not possible without making the form factor much bulkier, these things take a lot of space!) or b) use some sort of non-standard 32Gb chips (I think Samsung announced some stacked DRAM, but no idea if that is supported by regular memory controllers).

32GB DDR4 SODIMMs have been around for a while and aren't crazy expensive anymore: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/0RM-002H-000X1

They also aren't particularly bigger than the 16GB varieties. A few extra chips tacked on, but its nothing to worry about. I'm not sure, are you thinking standard DIMMs on a desktop size?

And to get to 128GB, Apple would have to utilize 4 DIMM slots though, so that's pretty much surely out.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Apple can always do weird things, but I'd be surprised if they did a minor redesign on a 3 year old machine, then immediately redesigned it again. I have a strong feeling that whatever we get is going to be the big MBP design for the next 3-4 years (and maybe the last Intel big MBP - in 4 years, they could have ARM chips powerful enough, and have gotten enough software running on ARM from using it on smaller laptops).

Absolutely agree. They would not plan for a small refresh now and bigger one in only a year's time. That's not Apple. They might make some concessions getting this product out faster because the keyboard issue is hitting them. Shipments were recently down despite overall growth in the industry. However, they aren't going to change around the chassis a bit now, then a lot one year later. That's too much development time for a single product too quickly. If they could do that, you'd have thought they'd have done a more major fix to the keyboard, and the chassis to allow it if needed, some time ago.

Unlikely:
128 GB RAM capacity
Any real change to the CPUs (such as Comet Lake)
Substantially different ports
Increased maximum storage (4 TB is already huge)

I'm interested to see how Comet Lake plays out. Intel is really, really trying to up their game lately and Comet Lake is interesting due to LPDDR4x, integration of Thunderbolt 3 and WiFi 6. The cores themselves seem rather uninteresting, but the platform improvements are significant. Roadmaps now nearly a year old peg Comet Lake H more towards the early part of 2020, but this is the how many-th 14nm+++? Seems if Intel wants to stop losing designs to AMD, this would be an easy spot to shore up quickly.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
32GB DDR4 SODIMMs have been around for a while and aren't crazy expensive anymore: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/0RM-002H-000X1

Yeah, that the Samsung chip I was talking about. As far as I know it does not conform to official DDR4 spec, so there might be some issues (but from what I see people report that it works with Intel CPUs). Let's see.

They also aren't particularly bigger than the 16GB varieties. A few extra chips tacked on, but its nothing to worry about. I'm not sure, are you thinking standard DIMMs on a desktop size?

And to get to 128GB, Apple would have to utilize 4 DIMM slots though, so that's pretty much surely out.

Apple does not use DIMM. They use RAM chips directly. The one you linked uses 16 chips with 32Gb each. Those would easily fit into the MBP.
[automerge]1571896273[/automerge]
I'm interested to see how Comet Lake plays out. Intel is really, really trying to up their game lately and Comet Lake is interesting due to LPDDR4x, integration of Thunderbolt 3 and WiFi 6. The cores themselves seem rather uninteresting, but the platform improvements are significant. Roadmaps now nearly a year old peg Comet Lake H more towards the early part of 2020, but this is the how many-th 14nm+++? Seems if Intel wants to stop losing designs to AMD, this would be an easy spot to shore up quickly.

A surprise 8/10 core Comet Lake with LPDDR4x would be lovely :)

MakeAppleAwesomeAgain

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2016
Wherever
I've been following this thread for a while now and there's one thing I don't understand. The general thought is that Apple might release the 16" model in the coming days but Dell is already selling 13" XPS models with the latest Ice Lake CPU's (the 15-25w TPD models). Any reason why Apple waits until early/mid 2020 with upgrading the 13" (or 14") MBPs? Is there a technical reason to wait until then?

Reactions: alexandero

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Do you guys think that the new MacBook Pro will have a 10nm processor? Intel hasn't announced any news on H-Series chips... I'm afraid we won't see these processors any time soon. When will we finally get a 10nm processor for high end MacBook-Pro's?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I've been following this thread for a while now and there's one thing I don't understand. The general thought is that Apple might release the 16" model in the coming days but Dell is already selling 13" XPS models with the latest Ice Lake CPU's (the 15-25w TPD models). Any reason why Apple waits until early/mid 2020 with upgrading the 13" (or 14") MBPs? Is there a technical reason to wait until then?

That is a good question. If Apple is late in adopting Ice Lake, it could simply be that Intel can't make enough to satisfy Apple's demand. The thing about Dell, MS and others is that they can diversify. Dell for example only uses ice Lake in their 2-in-1 model (the classical 13" uses Comet Lake), MS has the Ryzen model as well. Apple though... they go all in. So they need millions of these chips. Imagine if they release the 13" with Ice Lake, the first 250k units sell out in two weeks and then its a waiting time of 1-2 months... not something Apple would like to do. Again, it's just a possible theory. I suppose we will see net week?
[automerge]1571908095[/automerge]
Do you guys think that the new MacBook Pro will have a 10nm processor? Intel hasn't announced any news on H-Series chips... I'm afraid we won't see these processors any time soon. When will we finally get a 10nm processor for high end MacBook-Pro's?

Intel roadmaps I've seen so far suggest that no H-series 10mn chips are coming before 2021 at earliest...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.