Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
What makes you think tomorrow and not March 2020?

Because there are more rumors that the MBP has been in production for the past few weeks now.

Of course, no-one has definitive information but I believe the product is in the pipeline.

Reactions: Baldrake

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Do you guys think that the new MacBook Pro will have a 10nm processor? Intel hasn't announced any news on H-Series chips... I'm afraid we won't see these processors any time soon. When will we finally get a 10nm processor for high end MacBook-Pro's?
Maybe h series but zero chance of 10nm

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Apple can always do weird things, but I'd be surprised if they did a minor redesign on a 3 year old machine, then immediately redesigned it again. I have a strong feeling that whatever we get is going to be the big MBP design for the next 3-4 years (and maybe the last Intel big MBP - in 4 years, they could have ARM chips powerful enough, and have gotten enough software running on ARM from using it on smaller laptops).

Nearly certain:
16" screen
New keyboard

More likely than not:
Better cooling
64 GB RAM capacity
Navi (at least as an option)
Improved or cheaper storage options - either a boost in base storage, cheaper upgrades or both - maybe faster, too

Unlikely:
128 GB RAM capacity
Any real change to the CPUs (such as Comet Lake)
Substantially different ports
Increased maximum storage (4 TB is already huge)

Impossible:
Major CPU change (AMD, ARM or Ice Lake)
NVidia graphics
Hopefully Face ID, Keyboard and 16.4 inch screen and I'm in.

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
There's really NO reason for them not to add FaceID to a computer coming out over 2 years after it came out in phones, IMO, but it seems like it's not happening?

Anyway, do they typically release press releases at a set time?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not that Ice Lake is particularly game-changing over 9th gen chips anyway by all accounts I've seen so far, 10nm or not...

Maybe we saw different benchmarks? Huge IPC gains, 2x GPU performance improvement, and if AVX-512 is enabled it absolutely murders everything else.
[automerge]1571928185[/automerge]
There's really NO reason for them not to add FaceID to a computer coming out over 2 years after it came out in phones, IMO, but it seems like it's not happening?

The reason is that the FaceID sensor is half the thickness of the entire laptop, you'd need a display with the thickness of an iPad to put one in.

Reactions: cerberusss

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

The reason is that the FaceID sensor is half the thickness of the entire laptop, you'd need a display with the thickness of an iPad to put one in.

Any special reason they can't make the sensor wide instead of thick? Or why not separate the camera from the faceID sensor and put the sensor elsewhere.
[automerge]1571929002[/automerge]

Anyway, do they typically release press releases at a set time?
usually products come at the same time each day -10 am PST

Aquamite

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2014
Spain
If there were going to be any no FaceID on the 16” MBP we would have seen some indication of it inside the code of the latest macOS Catalina 10.15.1 beta so don’t get your hopes that high.

Reactions: Ener Ji

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Maybe we saw different benchmarks? Huge IPC gains, 2x GPU performance improvement, and if AVX-512 is enabled it absolutely murders everything else.

Big IPC gains but frequency drops substantially to make it nearly a wash performance wise. Now that’s a relative good thing on a laptop because it means better power efficiency.

The need to move to 10nm is somewhat lessened because Apple is porting over some of the most important platform improvements to 14nm anyway.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California

Yep. As others have pointed out, the 720p webcam seems to be all that can fit in the current lid design. That could change in the future if the FaceID module is made smaller or the display is made thicker, but right now we're stuck with the 720p webcam indefinitely.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
64 GB: As people have pointed out, there are RAM chips dense enough that it's not hard for Apple to do. Also, every one of their competitors in the "thin and light mobile workstation" space offers it. A couple (Razer, I'm looking at you with your new Studio configurations that ship with 16 GB) don't ship machines with 64 GB - but they all either ship it or support upgrading...

Comet Lake: Reports on when Comet Lake-H (still 14 nm, slightly improved, possibly 10-core top option) might release range from "imminent" to March 2 020. It's probably a drop-in, so Apple could either release the new 16" with it or do a minor bump to include it in six months.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
One saving grace that an MBP announcement is imminent is that a new AirPods announcement is also allegedly imminent.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Maybe. I'm going by Anandtech and Tom's hardware 1st August reviews, plus some more recent testing of actual production computers such as the XPS 13 7390.

I see moderate IPC gains, and largely cancelled out by slower clocks. You're not even getting a 5% single core boost over 9th gen Whiskey Lake according to Anandtech. The biggest thing for multicore will be the higher wattage (25W) chips getting a 6 core option (one chip; 10710U) so this is a benefit limited to only any machine that uses this specific processor. At that it's only equipped with UHD graphics, so you get either this benefit, or the below.

Graphics improvement is reasonable enough, but remember it's off a very low base, and outside of Iris, it doesn't make a meaningful usability difference (i.e. if you're playing a game it's not going to be the difference between a playable frame rate and a slideshow). Intel were promising 1 TFLOP - that's ~80% of a GTX 1050 but they haven't achieved that at the high end, and the HD graphics integrated into most of the chips falls short of even being in that ballpark. Basically that means if you're using a high end Iris chip (so MBP territory) yeah it might finally go toe to toe with a low end MX150, but most of these chips aren't getting anywhere near that. If you want Iris, you also can't have it with the 6 core CPU.

Ultimately graphics aside, this is very little more gain than they managed with each successive 'lake' release. Sorry for a perhaps overly negative post, but think people are getting over excited because of the 'node shrink' (mostly a marketing thing not just for intel but across the industry) when it's actually not made the sort of impact people seem to be expecting.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I mentioned this back in late September, looks like its gonna be March 2020 after all.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 2.39.32 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.