Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Today, rumor breaks that the new 16" MBP will not be coming until 2020. Same for the iPad Pro models expected this month.

Where are you reading this exactly?

Here's what the article said:

"The Apple analyst has also revealed his predicted schedule for Apple's MacBook lineup refresh. We've already learned that Apple is planning to use a scissor mechanism rather than a butterfly mechanism for its upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is expected to be announced as soon as this month.

However, Kuo has said that after the 16-inch MacBook Pro launches, future Macs coming in 2020 will also swap over to a scissor mechanism rather than a butterfly mechanism, resulting in more durable keyboards that are not as prone to failure from heat, dust and other small particulates.
"

Where does it say that the 16" is not coming?

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It's the paragraph after that:

Kuo now predicts that Apple's refreshed MacBook models will arrive in the second quarter of 2020, suggesting they will feature the much-anticipated scissor mechanism keyboards that the company is adopting wholesale.

But that doesn't mean the 16" MBP isn't coming this year. Kuo referred vaguely to MacBooks with scissor keyboards coming in 2020, but that could be the Air or the 12" or the 13" MBP.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's the paragraph after that:

Kuo now predicts that Apple's refreshed MacBook models will arrive in the second quarter of 2020, suggesting they will feature the much-anticipated scissor mechanism keyboards that the company is adopting wholesale.

But that doesn't mean the 16" MBP isn't coming this year. Kuo referred vaguely to MacBooks with scissor keyboards coming in 2020, but that could be the Air or the 12" or the 13" MBP.

Yeah, nothing there says that the 16” is delayed.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, nothing there says that the 16” is delayed.
nothing there says 16" is on schedule because there is no schedule, there are just rumors.
I agree with ThisBougieLife - you can read Kuo's predictions both ways. He is not mentioning 2019 for 16", just saying 2020 is year of scissors for macbook line

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
nothing there says 16" is on schedule because there is no schedule, there are just rumors.
I agree with ThisBougieLife - you can read Kuo's predictions both ways. He is not mentioning 2019 for 16", just saying 2020 is year of scissors for macbook line

He previously said that there is a 16” coming in October.

He hasn’t said anything to the contrary here.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
What Kuo said is also consistent with what he has said in the past: this year for a 16" MacBook Pro with new keyboard, but next year for the keyboard to appear on other MacBooks.

Supposedly the 16" began manufacturing in September already.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
He previously said that there is a 16” coming in October.

He hasn’t said anything to the contrary here.
yea ..
and previously but later he said the first macbook with scissors will be macbook air this year,
at the same time he said: "a new scissor switch keyboard will also be used in the MacBook Pro, but not until 2020"

fulhamx5

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2019
do you think there will be an update for 2.4 ghz macbook pro 13 with 16 inch macbook pro announcement?
maybe a new cpu and 16 gb minimum ram ?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
do you think there will be an update for 2.4 ghz macbook pro 13 with 16 inch macbook pro announcement?
maybe a new cpu and 16 gb minimum ram ?
I think apple will wait until march for the new cpu 10nm with the redesign keyboard

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Laptops with 128 GB are really rare, and generally 17". 64 GB is a real possibility, since it works with two slots (or in Apple's case, soldered banks). 128 GB requires four slots (they are set up two per channel, since all mobile chips are two channel). Since Apple solders RAM, there are no slots, but there would still be four logical DIMMs instead of two. That's a motherboard change just for the high-RAM version (unless they left the empty traces on every board)...

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
With the way Apple prices RAM, 128 GB might cost more than the machine itself! lol

Lenovo currently charges only $1,215 for 8 GB --> 128 GB RAM upgrade for their 15 inch P53 model. That is actually quite reasonable pricing - of course that is not something Apple is too known for.

Last edited:
Reactions: c0ppo

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Laptops with 128 GB are really rare, and generally 17". 64 GB is a real possibility, since it works with two slots (or in Apple's case, soldered banks). 128 GB requires four slots (they are set up two per channel, since all mobile chips are two channel). Since Apple solders RAM, there are no slots, but there would still be four logical DIMMs instead of two. That's a motherboard change just for the high-RAM version (unless they left the empty traces on every board)...

Thanks. I would think Apple would like to have this option for their most PRO laptop, since other companies have had the option in their laptops since last year.

Any chance we might see 64 GB RAM modules soon? What is the limiting factor for 32 GB max for RAM modules currently?

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
Could also mean that they needed some chips for the Mac Pro.. I purchased a maxed out MacBook Pro anyway because I needed a new machine. This one will be arriving next week. If they announce the 16” it will be still within the return period.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
While the P53 is not a 17", it is a really, big, thick 15" - and only the big, thick 15" machines are capable of supporting 128 GB of RAM. In the cases of Lenovo, HP and probably Dell, the 6 lb 15" workstation does support 128 GB, while the 4-5 lb version does not.

The reason Dell is a probably is that the thick, heavy Precision 7540 has 4 slots, but Dell only sells it with up to 32 GB (!!!) of RAM in a 4x8 configuration. It will almost certainly take 16 GB SODIMMs for 64 GB, and I would think that it will probably also take 32 GB SODIMMs for 128 GB, but I'm not sure.

Razer's machines (including the 17" variant) are all 2 slot, 64 GB max. I would be very surprised if the new Blade Studio models are 4 slot - they should be the same motherboard as the gaming models, but with Quadro GPUs and some higher-end CPU options (all the gaming models are 6 core).

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I found a mid 2018 MacBook Pro 15" base for 2000 Euros... It's a steal.

However I think I will wait for the new machines come 2020.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Here is the article with the report that 16" MBP will not be coming until next year.

I don't believe it, though

Thanks. There are so many problems with this article. We can start with:

1) the source of this article is a 9to5mac article which doesn’t state that the 16” isn’t coming.
2) the 9to5 article does point out that the original article from Kuo is a Chinese language article.
3) the original article actually infers that Kuo isn’t taking about the 16” next year:

It’s not clear if Kuo is referring to the upcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro (which he has previously pitted as coming before the end of 2019) or a different MacBook model. The analyst previously said that Apple would transition all MacBooks to the new scissor switch keyboard design across 2020, starting with the MacBook Pro in the fall of 2019.
Typically, Kuo refers to devices precisely, so information on MacBook Pro would state ‘MacBook Pro’. Therefore, we think it is likely that today’s mention refers to a different Apple laptop line.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks. There are so many problems with this article. We can start with:

1) the source of this article is a 9to5mac article which doesn’t state that the 16” isn’t coming.
2) the 9to5 article does point out that the original article from Kuo is a Chinese language article.
3) the original article actually infers that Kuo isn’t taking about the 16” next year:

Yeah, Howard, I am just the messenger.

As someone who has patiently been waiting for an announcement, I was absolutely PISSED when I read that report.

However, I absolutely do not believe it. There have been so many other reports that the 16" MBP has been in production for weeks now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.