Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
Nah it really sounds like they going to announce the key locator thingy or something else.

Exactly. Apple is not going to release a Mac on the 10th. If there is a "one more thing" reveal, it will be about their new tracking device(s) or some other new product. It will not be about an updated product or product line.

Anyway, isn't this thread about a hoped-for 2020 MBP release and those waiting for it; not the fabled 16" 2019 update?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Exactly. Apple is not going to release a Mac on the 10th. If there is a "one more thing" reveal, it will be about their new tracking device(s) or some other new product. It will not be about an updated product or product line.

Anyway, isn't this thread about a hoped-for 2020 MBP release and those waiting for it; not the fabled 16" 2019 update?

Well the 16" is part of the redesigned next gen Macs that will come out in 2020.. They just releasing the 16" now supposedly because new parts are available

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
On 10th is almost an sure thing that the 16" will NOT be presented. We are too close to the date and not Ming or Bloomberg said anything about it. So October it is

Reactions: Cape Dave

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
Well, it's more that generally the October events are in late October (last years was the 30th, the 27th in 2016 etc) so even if they are available immediately or a week or so after, you're practically looking at November before you can get your hands on one.

Yikes .. November going to be one month before 2020 .
And they will announce big bang new Models of Macbooks in July 2020 ?
[doublepost=1567843429][/doublepost]
Well the 16" is part of the redesigned next gen Macs that will come out in 2020.. They just releasing the 16" now supposedly because new parts are available

OK 16 inch in 2019 will be awesome and new Scissors keyboard mechanism thats the real deal .

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I’m thinking October, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Apple has really given the Mac a lot more focus during the past 18 months, which makes me happy. Sure, the keyboard situation is what it is, but It looks like Apple is eager to get these new Scissor-key models out there quickly now that they’ve realised that the butter-fly switch design is beyond saving, (despite 4 revisions).

I will keep my Air until we see a new 13” model with a good keyboard for a decent price. I’m actually very, very pleased with it.

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Yeah, same here with October. My guess is that it would seem appropriate to release the 16 inch with the new Mac Pro whenever that may be. As much as I'd like it to be Sept. 10... Possibly too cluttered with the other bits. But hey, surprise me damn it.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
Yeah, same here with October. My guess is that it would seem appropriate to release the 16 inch with the new Mac Pro whenever that may be. As much as I'd like it to be Sept. 10... Possibly too cluttered with the other bits. But hey, surprise me damn it.

Now you are talking ... with Apple its hard to predict , when we predict more items less are given. When we are not expecting anything then walllaaa there it goes with flood of stuff.

Trolle

macrumors member
May 24, 2016
If apple overhaul the top line MacBook pro, why would it be a silent release though in October. They wouldn't have another live event in October. My guess is tuesday they will reveal the new MacBook pro, not shipping 'til october or something like that.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
If apple overhaul the top line MacBook pro, why would it be a silent release though in October. They wouldn't have another live event in October. My guess is tuesday they will reveal the new MacBook pro, not shipping 'til october or something like that.

Name checks out.

Apple has been holding live October events for years.

tjedora

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
I know, we won't see it this year but I still hope for a 14" - I like the smaller form-factor (typing this on a 13" 2016 MBP) but I don't know if I can wait until next year and just bite on the 16". I know myself too well. :/

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yikes .. November going to be one month before 2020 .
And they will announce big bang new Models of Macbooks in July 2020 ?
[doublepost=1567843429][/doublepost]

OK 16 inch in 2019 will be awesome and new Scissors keyboard mechanism thats the real deal .
If I had to guess based on previous behaviour, I'd say the event will take place on Tue 29th October, with anything announced available immediately or within a week. When they update the 2020 machines (maybe WWDC or summer 2020?) it will be focused more on introducing the 14" equivalent to replace (or complement?) the 13" model, the 16" might get a small tweak to internals or adjustments to what specs are offered/ the price tiers it's available in if it's slowly supplanting the 15" model. As next year is also heavily rumoured to see the ARM transition, that also throws a bit of uncertainty into the mix. Maybe the 16" will be the first ARM computer so Apple can really showcase what their own Silicon can do, or maybe it will be the last to transition away from Intel in 2021/2022 (I really don't see a very long, drawn out transition over many years (on the notebook side, at least)).

Reactions: ZeuSGoKiL

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Name checks out.

Apple has been holding live October events for years.

But the last time they had a Mac-only event in October (2016), the Mac had a new feature (touch bar) that took up most of the event. I'm not sure what new feature the 16" MBP will have that can fill an event. Unless there are other products (like a new iPad or iMac) accompanying it (the 2018 October event had the new Air, iPad Pro, and Mac Mini).

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
But the last time they had a Mac event in October (2016), the Mac had a new feature (touch bar) that took up most of the event. I'm not sure what new feature the 16" MBP will have that can fill an event. Unless there are other products (like a new iPad) accompanying it.
Loads of padding about how people love their MacBook Pros and all the things they are doing with them, how it's the greenest mac ever, made from recycled MacBook Pros, and of course a 'lovely' design video, to go by past examples. ;)

I guess if it is a full redesign, they will probably have enough to talk about? Between the new screen itself, probably a new cooling solution, overview of the design, comparisons to the older model etc. I think iPad Pros are also quite possible, and possibly even a bit more about the new Mac Pro.

D C

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Austin TX
I know it won't happen. But I wish for the One More Thing on Tuesday Tim, C-FED, and Phil would come out on stage and just own up to the keyboard fiasco and introduce the new MacBook Pro which fixes it.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The 16" will probably share the event with Mac Pro pricing and availability plus something else...

Any of these (maybe more than one?) could be featured...

1.) Some other MacBooks - either something really slim and light (in the old 12" MacBook niche), possibly with cellular, something "big and thin" (15" Air) or both. There are all those notebook model numbers we don't know anything about yet (and, under usual cycle times, they'd come out this year sometime). If Apple's really playing their cards close to their chest, some of these could be ARM (the 16" almost certainly isn't, due to software that won't run on ARM).

2.) New iMacs. The most exciting possibility would be a new iMac Pro based on the XDR display (or, more likely, a version of it with a somewhat less exotic backlight). The cost isn't as far off as one might think, because of quirks in Apple's pricing. Assuming the XDR is a 50% margin item (super high-end stuff can have that kind of margin), there are about $2500 worth of parts in there. Probably at least $300 and maybe $500 of it is the case (mostly), power supply, Thunderbolt chips, etc... That leaves the guts (panel, backlight, etc.) around $2000-$2200 in cost to Apple.

The weird quirk in Apple's pricing is that they'll take low or no margins on iMac displays on occasion, in order to produce iMacs with market-leading displays at reasonable prices. Both the original 27" iMac and the 27" Retina only worked for the first couple of years because Apple was essentially selling the display at cost (with the rest of the machine at a standard margin). If you put a version of the XDR display in an iMac Pro at cost (something like$1600-$2000, depending on how much they degrade the backlight), you have somewhere around $3000-$3400 for the rest of the Mac. 40% of that remainder is margin, leaving $1800-$2040 for parts. At Apple's volume, they can get quite a bit for that...

3.) New iPad Pros (and maybe other iPads).

TwixyFingers

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2019
I was in the same boat. I just ordered a 2019 15", i7 2.6, 1tb ssd, 32gb ram, got it new sealed for $2700... even if the 16" is announced not sure how long until it ships and it would probably be $800 more then what I paid and I am happy with the specs I got. If I regret it I can always sell the 15" :)
Sounds like a sweet deal! where did you get it from?

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Wishlist

• 14” (in current enclosure size)
• 16g RAM
• i7 - 4 cores
• 512g SSD
• 90 Hz promotion display
• Better Contrast ratio
• Reliable keyboard
• Face ID
• Bigger Touch Bar due to removal of Touch ID
• Apple Pencil support on trackpad
• WIFI ax
• Bluetooth 5.2
• 4 USB C ports
• Jack / optical port
• More smoothed/rounded enclosure
• LED indicator on USB-C cable for charge

2500€

Won’t happen

Last edited:

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Wishlist:
* Upgradable RAM/drive
* Reliable keyboard
* No thinner than it is already (well, good luck doing that with upgradable RAM)
Would pay £2000 for an i7 with 16 GB RAM, whatever SSD

Current model already has everything else I'd need - Thunderbolt eGPU, decent i7, great display, USB-C charging

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
Suddenly this thread becomes a wishlist thread ?
[doublepost=1568105736][/doublepost]
I know it won't happen. But I wish for the One More Thing on Tuesday Tim, C-FED, and Phil would come out on stage and just own up to the keyboard fiasco and introduce the new MacBook Pro which fixes it.
Nahh they already blame it on Jonny Ivy

Reactions: BarredOwl

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Suddenly this thread becomes a wishlist thread ?

I guess, as Apple have disappointed (me) in 2016, 17, 18, 19, I'm wishing they'll release a product I want to buy. I'd probably go for a 2020 even if it just had an upgradable disk, but security/greed will preclude that.

Here's what'll actually happen: I'll end up sticking with my 2012 15" at home, and 2015 15" at work. In a year or so, I'll probably end up replacing the work machine with a Lenovo X1 at some point, and taking the work one to replace my home machine, then heading over to the "abandoning ship" thread. :(

Reactions: ZeuSGoKiL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.