Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
...cause I’m waiting a machine with a good keyboard

What makes a good keyboard is highly subjective. The biggest objective issue with current keyboard is it’s perceived unreliability, and that image is so entrenched by now that it can’t be salvaged. But if you want a keyboard with a lot of travel etc... you might get disappointed. They will just present another ultra-flat design and call it differently to distance it from the butterfly keyboard.

without termal problems

Current Macs dint have any thermal problems, well, at least not any more than any Mac before. They meet the spec, and that’s all there is about it. If you want more performance, or a particularly cool machine, you’d have to look elsewhere. Apples design principles are very clear by now.

and, if possible, without Touch Bar..

Touch Bar is here to stay. If they planned on ditching it or making it less prevalent, they would not continue investing into developer tools for it.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
If it were me, I'd opt for more storage then if any money is left over ram. I think macOS does a great job with memory management, but storage can be consumed quite easily.

My biggest problem is that I must be running close to 2 dozen programs at startup.

I am nearing the limits of 32GB and would love to have 64GB in my next MBP. I am hoping the 16" has 64GB capability.

I will be moving from 1TB to 2TB

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why do we need 10th generation i9?
I understand that it is always cool to have the fastest CPU, but what for? Would not it be better to use 10th gen i7 over i9?

Personally, I would prefer a lower temperature (I put the laptop on my lap a lot) and longer battery life over CPU performance. (The only thing that stops me from buying MB Air is the size of the screen, I need 15 inches).

If you have an option between these two, what model will you choose?
  • MBP 16'' with 10th gen i7 (10nm)
  • MBP 16'' with 9th gen i9 (14nm)
There is no 10th gen 10nm i7-H chip available at all, the 10nm chips are all U series (15W) while the MBP 15 uses H series (45W) - all the 10th gen H series chips are 14nm, whether they're branded i5, i7 or i9.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Realistically when do you guys think we could expect an updated 13" Pro with 10th (9th?) gen processors, WiFi 6, better webcam, DDR4 memory, and scissor keyboard? March 2020?

Reactions: BeatWilson

PestoBalsamic

Suspended
Sep 20, 2019
We knew from rumours, not from evidence.
No, we know it from evidence, and simple math. Just like the screen size and resolution is figured out in advance of every single new Apple product launch.
[automerge]1572618890[/automerge]
I understand that it is always cool to have the fastest CPU, but what for? Would not it be better to use 10th gen i7 over i9?

Personally, I would prefer a lower temperature (I put the laptop on my lap a lot) and longer battery life over CPU performance. (The only thing that stops me from buying MB Air is the size of the screen, I need 15 inches).

I agree fully, it is very annoying the way people try to force laptops to be desktops, and then complain when physics can't be altered just because they spent a few thousand dollars.

I have a an iMac that handles major CPU heavy tasks when needed. My laptop just needs a fast enough CPU to get through normal app work. RAM is far more important, and storage after that. CPU comes in 3rd, and it should for anyone using a laptop the right way (aka not forcing it to be a desktop).

I understand when a laptop is someones primary machine or only machine, but that doesn't justify having unrealistic expectations and doesn't change the intended usage of the laptop. That laptop is not meant to entirely replace a machine that has far more power to draw on and far more ability to cool.

If you're truly a professional who is need on processing power, have a desktop and a laptop, and balance your usage habits in a healthy way.

Last edited:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

To build on this discussion a bit, first, the 10nm that we have now, and will have for a while are only low power chips meant for ultrabooks. There will be no H series 10th gen 10nm. H series is unlikely to even get 10nm for the 11th gen, but rather 12 gen in late 2021 or 2022... yeah... The 13 inch MacBook Pro might get a 10nm chip soon, but the 15/16 isn't for at least a year and half, maybe two and half.

Also, which CPU you put in your computer has way less impact on your battery life than what you ask that CPU to do (or the laptop to do, like how bright you want your screen). If you are running blender all day long, yes the i9 will chug through more power more quickly, but it will also get the job done faster (assuming that the i9 isn't throttling, as it appears its not doing in unexpected ways in the 2019 MBP), which leads to the "hurry up and wait" concept. Power draw for the i7 and the i9 in the "wait" state is likely very similar.

So if you're doing X, Y, Z tasks on your computer and they can benefit from the i9's extra cores and GHz, then just get the i9. If you do those same tasks on both the i7 and the i9, the i9 will just save you time and your batter life will be largely unaffected by that choice. If your tasks can't benefit from the i9, then forget about it, get the i7, or even an i5 if given the option, and put that money into something else (RAM/SSD/peripherals).

I agree fully, it is very annoying the way people try to force laptops to be desktops, and then complain when physics can't be altered just because they spent a few thousand dollars.

I have a an iMac that handles major CPU heavy tasks when needed. My laptop just needs a fast enough CPU to get through normal app work. RAM is far more important, and storage after that. CPU comes in 3rd, and it should for anyone using a laptop the right way (aka not forcing it to be a desktop).

I understand when a laptop is someones primary machine or only machine, but that doesn't justify having unrealistic expectations and doesn't change the intended usage of the laptop. That laptop is not meant to entirely replace a machine that has far more power to draw on and far more ability to cool.

If you're truly a professional who is need on processing power, have a desktop and a laptop, and balance your usage habits in a healthy way.

People are looking for the most they can possibly get on a mobile platform and have that platform preform as advertised and in a stable way. The 2018 i9 had problems with that. Frequencies wildly fluctuated at first and performance was not better than the i7. Then Apple did some software fixes and the freqs stabilized, but the problem of the i9 actually giving improved performance over the i7 didn't really happen. Through hook or crook the 2019 model fixed a lot of that (heard rumors Apple is under-volting?).

Anyway, yes, if you're cranking on all 8 cores all day long on a laptop, you're probably doing life wrong. But some people do have work that could benefit from cranking through some tasks as fast as possible for a relatively short time and need to do it on a mobile platform. I try to get work done on the run a lot, and I use remote servers/cloud/clusters (what have you), but that relies on a stable internet connection. Sometimes its nice, or necessary, to have things locally and crank through things a bit, then move back to the remotes. I'm not asking, or hoping, for desktop performance, but I do want as much power under the hood as possible for when the need arises. The extra $200-$400 is ultimately chump change if its saving me time over the life of the machine. If I spent that $200-$400 bucks for nothing though, yeah, I'm gonna be a bit pissed. That was the situation with the 2018 machine, not that people had unrealistic expectations.

Reactions: MushroomMan

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Yep. I guess the last chance for this year is when the MacPro is released, but personally I think it's not coming until 2020 because it is a redesign and redesigns require events.

...but it is not a redesign. People keep saying this.

You are sticking a larger screen on a 15" chassis.

A redesign would be far more than that. Even the rumor sites who have seen the photos have stated that it does not look like a redesign

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I acknowledge it's a minor redesign, but it's still a redesign, as opposed to simply changing out the CPU and GPU. It may not be a major mention in an event, but I still think it will be mentioned on stage before it is released.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Realistically when do you guys think we could expect an updated 13" Pro with 10th (9th?) gen processors, WiFi 6, better webcam, DDR4 memory, and scissor keyboard? March 2020?

I would say March of next year. The 13" had a major refresh this past year.

mlourenco9

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
What makes a good keyboard is highly subjective. The biggest objective issue with current keyboard is it’s perceived unreliability, and that image is so entrenched by now that it can’t be salvaged. But if you want a keyboard with a lot of travel etc... you might get disappointed. They will just present another ultra-flat design and call it differently to distance it from the butterfly keyboard.

Current Macs dint have any thermal problems, well, at least not any more than any Mac before. They meet the spec, and that’s all there is about it. If you want more performance, or a particularly cool machine, you’d have to look elsewhere. Apples design principles are very clear by now.

Touch Bar is here to stay. If they planned on ditching it or making it less prevalent, they would not continue investing into developer tools for it.

By good keyboard I mean a keyboard without problems. If fact I don’t like to much this flat design, but is a matter of taste. I have a 2017 13’ MBP and I changed the keyboard twice. It’s not acceptable in this level of product.
You are correct about the heat. I’ve ordered the MBP 15’’ i9 and I’ve returned it. I don’t need so much power. With it, the fans were always working.
I think you are right about Touch Bar. For me is absolutely useless, except touchId. But I think that Apple will produce every MBP with it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I acknowledge it's a minor redesign, but it's still a redesign, as opposed to simply changing out the CPU and GPU. It may not be a major mention in an event, but I still think it will be mentioned on stage before it is released.
About that - the 2018 was considerably more than a swapped out CPU/GPU as well, yet released without much fanfare. Arguably it was a bigger deal than the 16" will be, it came with a lot of internal changes over the 2017 (battery, speakers, board layout, DDR4 RAM, case machining), added the T2 chip and major new CPU/GPU options (6 cores for the first time and Vega). The 16" as far as we know is using the same CPU options, probably the same GPU options (unless there's a high end Navi configuration) and otherwise is just a new larger screen, better keyboard and fractionally larger chassis. If it's talked about at all I'd expect a cosy press gathering around the time the Mac Pro is released, like they did with the 'mea culpa' Mac Pro development announcement.

Reactions: DanMan619

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Are you kidding me? That laptop is bulkier than he 15" MBP, with performance inferior to the 13" MBP and connectivity worse than the Air? I mean, its a great alternative to the MacBook Air (although the bulk kind of sucks), but I really don't understand how you could be considering even hypothetically if you are eyeing the 15" MBP...
[automerge]1572589676[/automerge]

Get the i20, the one powered by pixie dust.

Seriously, maybe wait until this mythical laptop is even released before trying to choose the CPU. We don't even know if this machine is coming at all, not even talking about what CPU options it will have available.
[automerge]1572590040[/automerge]

Because Intel was stuck at the same core architecture since 2015. The next-gen CPUs are faster, more efficient, support AVX-512 (that can almost double the performance for many computationally-heavy workflows) and generally are superior for professional workloads. But of course this is al moot as Intel does not have an Ice Lake that can compete with current i9, and from the looks of it, won't have it out for a while.

By the way, if you don't care about CPU performance and just want an 15" ultrabook, the 15" MBP is really an overkill. its a thin-and-light, sure, but its still a performance-oriented laptop. There are a bunch of alternatives on the market that pair a 15" display with a weaker CPU — unfortunately barely any of them surpass the 15" MBP in battery life...
Razer has a 17.3 inch 120mHz screen in 6 pound frame.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
About that - the 2018 was considerably more than a swapped out CPU/GPU as well, yet released without much fanfare. Arguably it was a bigger deal than the 16" will be, it came with a lot of internal changes over the 2017 (battery, speakers, board layout, DDR4 RAM, case machining), added the T2 chip and major new CPU/GPU options (6 cores for the first time and Vega). The 16" as far as we know is using the same CPU options, probably the same GPU options (unless there's a high end Navi configuration) and otherwise is just a new larger screen, better keyboard and fractionally larger chassis. If it's talked about at all I'd expect a cosy press gathering around the time the Mac Pro is released, like they did with the 'mea culpa' Mac Pro development announcement.

Agreed. This is the exact type of product that you don't want an event for. 2 of the 3 changes are 'fixes' (keyboard and esc key) so you want to downplay that. 10% bigger screen does not make a good event.

On the other hand in a small pro oriented gathering they CAN talk about those features as addresing the feedback they got without yelling from the rooftops.

The smaller bezels/ bigger screen and scissor keyboard redesign will be copy pasted to the rest of the lineup in 2020 and a true redesign won't come until 2021+ when they introduce ARM and miniLED.

Reactions: Falhófnir

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
17.3 inch 4k screen at 120 mHz (promotion) with nvidia 2080 GPU.
non retarded keyboard
just 6 pounds

just sayin

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.56.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.56.13 AM.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 199

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Someone pointed out on the (similarly frustrated) Mac Pro thread that Adobe MAX is next week. Both Mac Pros and the big MBP run a lot of Adobe software - during MAX could be a possibility...

Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Someone pointed out on the (similarly frustrated) Mac Pro thread that Adobe MAX is next week. Both Mac Pros and the big MBP run a lot of Adobe software - during MAX could be a possibility...

Yup! That's what we are counting on!

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
has apple ever launched hardware in coordiation with someone elses event tho?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
has apple ever launched hardware in coordiation with someone elses event tho?

Apple can do whatever it wants.

Yes, they can use that event to tie into Adobe's software and Apple's hardware, or, with the launch of Apple TV+ behind them, they may finally be free to announce hardware.

It's all speculation at this point.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
17.3 inch 4k screen at 120 mHz (promotion) with nvidia 2080 GPU.
non retarded keyboard
just 6 pounds

just sayin

Not sure what you are trying to say? I was commenting on the Surface Laptop, not the Razer. As to the latter, it’s a powerful gaming machine, sure, but it’s also much larger and 1kg heavier...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Not sure what you are trying to say? I was commenting on the Surface Laptop, not the Razer. As to the latter, it’s a powerful gaming machine, sure, but it’s also much larger and 1kg heavier...

And has a smaller battery than it’s 15” brother, what gives...

Expos of 1969

macrumors 601
Aug 25, 2013
That would interest me as a replacement my 13" Retina early 2013 MBP.

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
To build on this discussion a bit, first, the 10nm that we have now, and will have for a while are only low power chips meant for ultrabooks. There will be no H series 10th gen 10nm. H series is unlikely to even get 10nm for the 11th gen, but rather 12 gen in late 2021 or 2022... yeah... The 13 inch MacBook Pro might get a 10nm chip soon, but the 15/16 isn't for at least a year and half, maybe two and half.

Also, which CPU you put in your computer has way less impact on your battery life than what you ask that CPU to do (or the laptop to do, like how bright you want your screen). If you are running blender all day long, yes the i9 will chug through more power more quickly, but it will also get the job done faster (assuming that the i9 isn't throttling, as it appears its not doing in unexpected ways in the 2019 MBP), which leads to the "hurry up and wait" concept. Power draw for the i7 and the i9 in the "wait" state is likely very similar.

That's silly that low power chips are available only for "entry" level MacBooks. The main decision-maker for me is not CPU but the size of the screen (I cannot go lower than 15''), therefore I'm kind of stack with rMBP 15.

I checked Geekbench for fun and found that a new "low power" Intel i7-1065g7 works twice faster than the old "high power" Intel i7-3720QM from my first rMBP (mid 2012). I still use that laptop and found its performance good enough for my needs, therefore I more than sure I won't experience performance loss with the new low power CPU.

As for blender, how many people actually need to run blender all day? Would not be better to buy a desktop for these needs? I have no doubts there are people with needs for "mobile power" but I don't think there are too many to enforce everyone to buy the top CPU.

Overall, I think, I know what I want, I want 16'' MacBook Air.

Reactions: MengkeMary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.