Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I am always confused when people assume that redesign would mean something dramatic. What would they expect? Apple's laptop design always pursued the same vision, and they are closer to it then ever. From the design language standpoint, the MBP did not change that much in the last 12 years. So sure, we will get a tweaked geometry, some bits and pieces here and there, but I don't think that the next iteration of the MBP is going to be a dramatic departure. There is just no function in that. Those images in the 10.15.1 look just about right for a 2020-2024 redesign.

2019-2024 redesign, darn it!

• Haha
Reactions: ascender and leman

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I am always confused when people assume that redesign would mean something dramatic. What would they expect?
Same thoughts exactly. What's supposed to happen, other than thinner bezels and improved keyboard? Circular trackpad? Extra keys scattered around? The current MBP has its problems, but I don't think the design itself is one of them.

The one thing Apple should steal innovate is the speaker hinge from Yoga C930/C940.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Maybe they're waiting for custom mobile NAVI GPUs from AMD?

Actually a pretty good guess! Based on the detail images and icons it seems at the very least the design is finalized. And then the fact it was added and then removed from the .1 release could either mean it was added by accident, or that it had to be delayed slightly.

Also lets not forget the week is not over!

seoa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
In my opinion, if they added the images of the 16-inch in the 10.15.1 that means the 16-inch will be released before 10.15.2 is released, so within 1-2 months.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Same thoughts exactly. What's supposed to happen, other than thinner bezels and improved keyboard? Circular trackpad? Extra keys scattered around? The current MBP has its problems, but I don't think the design itself is one of them.

The one thing Apple should steal innovate is the speaker hinge from Yoga C930/C940.
Undercase black-lights for the win!!!

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Wonder if it will join the Mac Pro, whatever day that is fully released? Hope it's not a butterfly keyboard, and that it has Navi (a 64 GB RAM option would be nice) - other than that, the MBP is already pretty much a state of the art thin-and-light mobile workstation.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I'm with you on the re-design - I love the recent design of their laptops, from MacBook, the new Air and current MBP. So I have no problem with evolution.

Its a frequent criticism of them though that they're not trying new things like some of the other manufacturers out there who are playing around with the traditional form factor, especially with things like second screens now. The TouchBar hasn't been a success, but they seem to be sticking with it. And there's obviously thermal issues still remaining, so I thought maybe that would force their hand with the 16" model. But I guess we don't know what's under the hood.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have a feeling its dropping tomorrow.

too much smoke for a five month delay from now.

I have said this just about every day thus far...

I think it's going to drop today or tomorrow.

So many things are appearing in OS X and IOS including the 16" MBP icons and setup instructions for Air Tags. There's also the imminent release of Mac Pro.

With a little luck, today or tomorrow will be a huge day for us.

Otherwise, we are looking at the first week of November.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Thursday feels like a good day!

Did one of the rumour sites not say this week that a supplier confirmed these have been manufactured in bulk already? Or something similar which suggests they wouldn't want to leave them on shelves...

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Thursday feels like a good day!

Did one of the rumour sites not say this week that a supplier confirmed these have been manufactured in bulk already? Or something similar which suggests they wouldn't want to leave them on shelves...

That is what the rumor mill has been saying. Allegedly, these have been in production for weeks now.

That is why I haven't given up hope for an imminent release. The recent hardware photos embedded in Catalina only reinforce those thoughts.

Reactions: ascender

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
Has Apple ever announced new hardware via a press release on a Thursday or Friday?
We are in uncharted territory - there just isn't that much precedent for Apple releasing new products without an event. Hard to read the tea leaves here.

Possibly it will drop any day.

Possibly they've run into problems during production, and have decided to punt it until March with the rest of the lineup.

Possibly all the rumours of an impending release were just plain wrong - sounds for example like the rumoured new iPad Pro is not coming until next year, despite what all the rumours said.

Personally, though, I'm thinking that it's coming soon, because why else would those new icons be showing up in MacOS.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
We are in uncharted territory - there just isn't that much precedent for Apple releasing new products without an event. Hard to read the tea leaves here.

Possibly it will drop any day.

Possibly they've run into problems during production, and have decided to punt it until March with the rest of the lineup.

Possibly all the rumours of an impending release were just plain wrong - sounds for example like the rumoured new iPad Pro is not coming until next year, despite what all the rumours said.

Personally, though, I'm thinking that it's coming soon, because why else would those new icons be showing up in MacOS.

Well said. Exactly.

We don't know anything, but there have been too many leaks recently and the images showing up in iOS and Catalina pointing to an MBP and Air Tracker release has been too many.

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
So many possibilities in tea leaves..

Could be that the image was meant for an internal build and they forgot to remove it from the beta build and that it's coming soon. Eventually they forgot the remove the touchID instruction image from the public build? This doesn't sound very thought out unless they wanted to leak. - Lol

Could be that the product was delayed or pulled during the time with beta 2. They removed the image from the next beta build but forgot the touchID instruction image in the public build. - Lol

Could be that all these mess ups were actually meant for an internal 10.15.1 build for the machine and so it would be released before 10.15.2. This still is a pretty big release window. Why include the touch id image but remove the actual icon (Unless see #1) ?

Actually it's going to be announced this week because apple doesn't want to disappoint people. - Lol

Sorry I couldn't resist ?

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Yet another rumor today about volume shipments for the fourth quarter - which we are already in the middle of: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/31/16-inch-macbook-pro-volume-shipments-4q19/

We are now in the 1 rumor per day territory from multiple sources (including official apple images).

There are probably multiple good reasons to delay the launch slightly (apple tv + launch, syncing up with mac pro, waiting for build-up of new hardware like the hard to get 7nm cards from amd, etc, etc). I think Apple is ready to release it, they are just ticking off the last set of check-boxes.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
The only thing that makes me feel this is delayed is the guidance from the conference call. Apple was asked why the guidance for the next quarter isn't higher, and they mentioned different launch schedules, mentioned last holiday season had the iPad Pro and MacBook Air to boost sales, and then mentioned different launch schedule.

But they also didn't mention anything about the Mac Pro launching either, so may not mean anything at all.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The only thing that makes me feel this is delayed is the guidance from the conference call. Apple was asked why the guidance for the next quarter isn't higher, and they mentioned different launch schedules, mentioned last holiday season had the iPad Pro and MacBook Air to boost sales, and then mentioned different launch schedule.

But they also didn't mention anything about the Mac Pro launching either, so may not mean anything at all.
MBP isn't a super huge mover in their earnings.
Too bad someone didn't ask for a breakout of revenue by screen size tho.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

MacBook Pros (especially just this 16" model likely to be around $3K) and Mac Pros (>$6K) aren't really Christmas gifts for most.... iPads and iWatches and what not though....
[automerge]1572534438[/automerge]
By the way, I totally imagine someone high up in Apple's corporate reading these forums and laughing their behinds off about us. Its incredible about how much hype this company can generate literally without doing anything.

No kidding. The swings of these rumors are killing me. I'm sure that is found to be very amusing by folks at Apple. I usually don't get too caught up in these things, but man, I've been waiting on a non-butterfly keyboard MBP for a while now. Can they just drop the damn things so I can buy it and get on with my life.

seoa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
I am waiting for a couple more weeks and if there's nothing from Apple I am looking for Windows laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.