Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seoa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
im happy the current rumor is 16" is rumored to be being a silent drop.

If this rumoured laptop has a bigger screen and a new keyboard as people say, then Apple would most likely want to make a loud drop with an event.
[automerge]1572372217[/automerge]
It's gonna be whenever Timmy wants not when the Pros need it

More like when the computer is ready.

Last edited:

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Okay, it's a guess.

The only problem with all of this is that sources have said the MBP has been in production. Maybe something will drop before the week is up. Maybe November.

...and, yes, if not then, 2020.

As usual, assumptions
All of the sources (including the ones you are referring to about production ramp-up) is a guess.
There is no confirmed information available.

If apple is to release new MBP before holiday season they will do this before quarterly earning call - means .. today. It is not logical to hide such a news from investors.
As mentioned before - in my opinion it won’t happen and we have to wait till 2020.
We would have heard something already if it was today.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
If this rumoured laptop has a bigger screen and a new keyboard as people say, then Apple would most likely want to make a loud drop with an event.

depends since the screen change is largely if not completely due to a reduction of bezel thats not a huge story on its own, so then it comes to the keyboard.

if the "new" keyboard is actually the v3/v4 butterfly that still retains crappy travel, lack of esc, lack of inverted T homing arrows, touchbar etc.
most people wont care because just like the last few revisions of butterfly its not a user facing change its just aiming to improve reliability for the sake of apple's warranty claims/bottom line

whereas the hypothetical 2020 redesign they could be more radical by making the keyboard like the old retina's with minor changes like maybe a touchbar above the function keys but still having them, touch ID in the power button etc.
truely take the best of both worlds.

now one could argue the 16" could have radical changes like my wish list above but then the 16" would be the od man out in the current lineup.
not to mention if they make a big deal about MBP this year the likelihood of another big deal about MBP next year is less likely.

thus i think my OG silent drop is not only the most likely but the preferred option.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
All of the sources (including the ones you are referring to about production ramp-up) is a guess.
There is no confirmed information available.

If apple is to release new MBP before holiday season they will do this before quarterly earning call - means .. today. It is not logical to hide such a news from investors.
As mentioned before - in my opinion it won’t happen and we have to wait till 2020.
We would have heard something already if it was today.

Hmm, investors aren't only paying attention during earnings calls.... And doing product announcements after earnings calls is hardly hiding news from investors.... Product release and announcement timings usually don't have much to do with earnings calls.

Apple still has the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and maybe an iMac Pro to potentially announce/release in the next ~month (they did Mac Pro will be available in the Fall, which could mean going by the calendar year, by financial quarters, or by people's general frame of mind). There is also this Apple TV+ "event". No one knows anything for sure, one way or the other, but there is certainly good reason to suspect this week will still bring more news. With every passing day chances get lower, but we're far from 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
...and don't forget the Air Tags has yet to be announced and indications of such have been all over.

I haven't given up yet. I am still thinking this is going to be a silent drop or perhaps rounding out a week of more press announcements.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
...and don't forget the Air Tags has yet to be announced and indications of such have been all over.

I haven't given up yet. I am still thinking this is going to be a silent drop or perhaps rounding out a week of more press announcements.

Yes, and potentially an iPad Pro, for that matter.

Reactions: g75d3

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Going by production starting earlier this month, it seems like a March 2020 release is ridiculously late (do they really need 5 months of stock produced on what will probably be a relatively low volume model?) but maybe an October release is a little too soon? Perhaps November alongside the MacPro could still be a possibility... I believe the iPhones usually start production in ~July for a September release, so approx 2-3 months worth, and they're obviously produced and stocked in much higher volumes than this machine will be (though also presumably easier to manufacture so more probably roll off the production lines per day). Of course an announcement in coming days with shipping beginning next month is also a highly likely scenario.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
It’s one of several things that is happening.

Apple might be throttling out releases to give them enough publicity. With Apple TV+ coming up, it will certainly affect the MacPro and a potential new MacBook becoming buried and ignored. This are products that are targeted professional customers.

The MacBook Pro 16 inch might have more than a larger footprint. There is the potential for Face ID as a differentiator.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
At least we still have hopes on the day that Apple TV+ and Mac Pro launch, plus the rumours of this press release week. I want to upgrade my Macbook Air 2013 so bad.

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
So, I'll see all of you great people around 1pm EST today as we again play, "Will today be MBP release day?"

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
This is genuinely one of the most unpredictable and confusing situations I've been in as a Mac user. I'm mailing my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro back to Apple on Friday to get a refund after numerous keyboard issues. On the one hand I'm thinking I should buy a 2019 15" MacBook Pro based on Kuo's latest report, but then I'm seeing Mark Gurman (who has clear connections within Apple) saying the 16" is imminent. Ugh!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 5.33.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 5.33.12 pm.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is genuinely one of the most unpredictable and confusing situations I've been in as a Mac user. I'm mailing my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro back to Apple on Friday to get a refund after numerous keyboard issues. On the one hand I'm thinking I should buy a 2019 15" MacBook Pro based on Quo's latest report, but then I'm seeing Mark Gurman (who has clear and obvious connections within Apple) saying the 16" is imminent. Ugh!
I feel like it must be happening before next year as it's already in production by accounts from supply chain analysts... If it's happening in March next year, that's 5 months worth of stock built up (and a huge chunk of cash tied up in producing/ shipping but not selling these machines). Either Apple are expecting unprecedented demand for what should be a relatively low volume (high price) product, or Gurman is right and its imminent...

To go by the iMac Pro, which was also a high end pro-oriented machine, it launched as late as December, so there's evidence when it comes to this sort of machine* Apple's less worried about getting it out in time for the Christmas shopping season as it's mostly going to be purchased by companies and individuals doing professional video editing, 3D modelling, large scale coding etc. for work.

*yes I know there's a lot of doubt around exactly what it is

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
This is genuinely one of the most unpredictable and confusing situations I've been in as a Mac user. I'm mailing my 15" 2018 MacBook Pro back to Apple on Friday to get a refund after numerous keyboard issues. On the one hand I'm thinking I should buy a 2019 15" MacBook Pro based on Kuo's latest report, but then I'm seeing Mark Gurman (who has clear connections within Apple) saying the 16" is imminent. Ugh!

Here is the worst thing you can do...

Buy that 15" MBP this week and a 16" MBP is announced soon after.

Of course, nobody knows if that will happen.

However, the rumors have been rampant about the 16" being manufactured for weeks now. It's the hottest Apple rumor right now. If I were in your shoes, I would wait things out for a few more days, at least.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Here is the worst thing you can do...

Buy that 15" MBP this week and a 16" MBP is announced soon after.

Of course, nobody knows if that will happen.

However, the rumors have been rampant about the 16" being manufactured for weeks now. It's the hottest Apple rumor right now. If I were in your shoes, I would wait things out for a few more days, at least.

Exactly. This is what I am experiencing now. I have no option. I need a machine to do my work so I will have to buy one in a couple week. Will see if it will be out. Maybe I will wait until the Mac Pro launch date.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Interesting article this morning on the 16" MBP

There is nothing critical in what Ewan Spence writes, the guy is blatantly Anti-Apple and would bash them no matter what they do. If they did release the 16”, he’d complain about something else. Nothing to take seriously here.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
There is nothing critical in what Ewan Spence writes, the guy is blatantly Anti-Apple and would bash them no matter what they do. If they did release the 16”, he’d complain about something else. Nothing to take seriously here.

I understand your point.

My point in providing that article is to show just how rampant the rumors are. Everyone, including the press, was expecting an announcement this week.

The week is not over

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Look week is not over... Plus if we don't get it this fall we'll get it in spring with new shiny tech and a 3k price tag on top of it all.

Honestly at this point I'm not getting the 15", I'll wait and see the reviews on the 16" and if they are good enough I'll buy it at it's price.. If it features any old tech I'll wait for the base 16" whenever it comes.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Look week is not over... Plus if we don't get it this fall we'll get it in spring with new shiny tech and a 3k price tag on top of it all.

Honestly at this point I'm not getting the 15", I'll wait and see the reviews on the 16" and if they are good enough I'll buy it at it's price.. If it features any old tech I'll wait for the base 16" whenever it comes.

Good Man! Wait for the 16" or you will regret the purchase of the 15"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.