Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
They should have the new keyboards in all models right away even without a refresh. Why have more butterfly keyboards out in the wild for potential failure and replacement? Shouldn’t take much retooling unless the new keyboard is a different size.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Gurman thinks tomorrow. Gruber doesn’t.

Attachments

• 67AF8B38-B430-42E4-BB4D-AB51A4854621.png
    67AF8B38-B430-42E4-BB4D-AB51A4854621.png
    540.7 KB · Views: 213

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Is it likely though that the 16 inch will be the first rollout/early adopter machine for the new chassis/keyboard, and then in the spring or maybe next fall, it comes to the 15 and the 13s?
that’s exactly whats happening
[automerge]1572354316[/automerge]
Not sure if I’ve missed the discussion but has there been any talk of getting Mojave on this thing? I have some DAW that use some irreplaceable 32-bit audio plugins and would rather get a couple more years out of them then do a complete overhaul now and spend more money on top of the new computer now...

If they keep the current GPU and CPU as options at least the hardware should ‘support’ the old OS... If Apple prevents a clean install of Mojave, maybe a hackintosh install would work?
Not happening. It requires 10.15.1.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Assuming it drops this week, are you guys going to order right away, or wait a couple of weeks for the holiday extended return period to start? Nice to have around seven weeks return period just in case... I think it usually starts around mid-November.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Assuming it drops this week, are you guys going to order right away, or wait a couple of weeks for the holiday extended return period to start? Nice to have around seven weeks return period just in case... I think it usually starts around mid-November.

I was definitely planning to wait a few days or a week or two for detailed reviews to roll in. Wasn't aware of the extended holiday return period, so that's another factor in waiting a short while before ordering.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
They should have the new keyboards in all models right away even without a refresh. Why have more butterfly keyboards out in the wild for potential failure and replacement? Shouldn’t take much retooling unless the new keyboard is a different size.

Well yeah I'm sure they losing money with this...

At the end of the day having an unreliable keyboard simply sucks, I went on a work trip and had to bring my magic keyboard because of that.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007

66347c69832bdee15b1fcb99a4b6370c.1000x562x1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ener Ji

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I'll most likely wait for the holiday return period. I bought the November 2018 MBP (with Vega 20 graphics card) and soon after getting it I discovered the screen flickered (and found out many others had the same problem and that there was no solution to it). I'm lucky I was still able to return it. I want as long as possible in case another problem like that shows up.

Last edited:

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
It is a reasonable suggestion to wait until the Holiday return period kicks in. Apple's QA is at an all-time low, and the odds of a first run machine having serious issues for which there is no immediate resolution is higher than it has ever been.

I'm still willing to gamble on that, but with the holiday return period coming soon it might be make sense to wait for some extra insurance.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
@ThisBougieLife

Smart, smart decision (as you already know), especially as we are probably talking about yet another "new" keyboard of some kind from Apple, since we all know they won't do the easy thing and just put the existing Magic Keyboard (with no problems) in there.

I'm sure they had to "innovate" again, no matter what they release.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Based on yesterday, I'd guess we'll see 12:00 PM Eastern press release on 16" MacBook Pro, and 1:00 PM Eastern release of 10.15.1.

There seems to be less certainty surrounding this than there was for AirPods yesterday, but the Mac always seems to be more unknown than anything else. So, we'll see shortly.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Based on yesterday, I'd guess we'll see 12:00 PM Eastern press release on 16" MacBook Pro, and 1:00 PM Eastern release of 10.15.1.

There seems to be less certainty surrounding this than there was for AirPods yesterday, but the Mac always seems to be more unknown than anything else. So, we'll see shortly.

Yeah, I am actually refreshing the Apple website every five minutes anticipating a 12pm EST launch. I just hope this is not going to be a letdown for us.

On the plus side, one of the websites ran an article this morning -- think it was Cult of Mac -- wondering if today would be the day the hardware would be announced. I don't know if the article is still up as I can't find the link. In any event, we are not the only ones stuck to this rumor.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's possible that nothing is coming out.

But there are plenty of folks who have told us here that's it's coming.

There's no possible way that those people were wrong, or made stuff up, or presented their assumptions as fact. That would never happen. Not on MR.

rcianpandacian

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019

There's no possible way that those people were wrong, or made stuff up, or presented their assumptions as fact. That would never happen. Not on MR.

it seems like a lot of these fake news websites have an incentive to lie and make up rumors to get more clicks

Reactions: Howard2k

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007

Yes, one or two people got very cocky and said it was NOT coming out.

However, when asked if they got that information directly from Apple, they went silent.

Everyone else assumed -- which is what we do here on MR.

Reactions: Howard2k

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

I'm not really going to wait. My 2014 is limping along and one way or another, I kind of have to deal with a mac laptop. I mean, I could use windows and the linux shell thing, but that looks like a pain and I don't want to deal with that learning curve. So its this MacBook Pro when ever it drops, or just biting the bullet on the previous gen if it doesn't come. It would suck to have limped along this long without getting the new computer, but I just don't think I can wait until the spring. And if a new computer comes, I'm likely going to pick it up regardless of what hopefully minor problems it has if I wait to see them in 2-4 weeks, so might as well order from day 1 and deal with it regardless. Plus, I'm not going sell this 2014, it will still be here, if I need it.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Yes, one or two people got very cocky and said it was NOT coming out.

However, when asked if they got that information directly from Apple, they went silent.

Everyone else assumed -- which is what we do here on MR.

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure the same applies to both sides of the fence.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring too.

The 16" is being announced in less than 1 hour. Take it from me. That's gospel.

The 16" is not being announced in less than 1 hour. Take it from me. That's gospel.

Reactions: NJRonbo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.