Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
Looks like the Touch Bar redesign is true. From 9to5 Mac, and now I really want this soon.

macbookpro16touchbar.png

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Looks like the Touch Bar redesign is true. From 9to5 Mac, and now I really want this soon.

View attachment 873688
Looks like flat keys to me rather than scissor mechanism which had more depth
[automerge]1572456808[/automerge]
Dang it, I'm getting excited again :confused:

The keyboard looks no different in that picture but I guess the new mechanism won't necessarily make the keyboard look any different.
they removed the icon from Catalina. I think release has been pushed out.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Same backlit keyboard system and same keys dimensions but different press mechanism (scissor)
So the best from both worlds. Now for the sake of symmetry with the esc key they've placed the power button away from the touchbar

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I want to get off this roller coaster already.
right? Im ready for this to be over! At least announce it so we get some of our questions asnwered.

they may be waiting for a specific part that is the hold up- likely a new intel chip??
[automerge]1572461000[/automerge]
There are 31 lines here for the speaker grill...on the 2016-2018 there are 29
So a little bit wider, so confirms a bigger display
That's 6.9% more speaker grills and from this we can estimate screen sized at 16.4 based on a 6.9% increase to 15.4 inches.

Im kidding sorta:)

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
right? Im ready for this to be over! At least announce it so we get some of our questions asnwered.

they may be waiting for a specific part that is the hold up- likely a new intel chip??

Or a specific day? Still two days left this week.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Its hard not to look at that image and just think its the same butterfly keyboard, even though we can't tell and every rumour we've heard going back months has said it will be the scissor mechanism.

Doesn't look like a major re-design though which is kind of strange? Maybe the current fundamental design won't be changing after all, but we'll get upgraded internals across the line along with new keyboards, physical escape keys and that will be it?

Maybe they think there's not much else they can do (or want to do) with the basic laptop form factor? Otherwise I'd have expected the 16" to showcase a new design surely?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
You know I can’t see this coming out in 2020 and if it does why would I buy with rumors regarding a redesign coming in 2020?
Its hard not to look at that image and just think its the same butterfly keyboard, even though we can't tell and every rumour we've heard going back months has said it will be the scissor mechanism.

Doesn't look like a major re-design though which is kind of strange? Maybe the current fundamental design won't be changing after all, but we'll get upgraded internals across the line along with new keyboards, physical escape keys and that will be it?

Maybe they think there's not much else they can do (or want to do) with the basic laptop form factor? Otherwise I'd have expected the 16" to showcase a new design surely?

Yeah this either releases this year or it’s bs on the scissor keyboard.

Reactions: ascender

lukesturr

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Texas

I agree, but maybe it's because it's a directly top down view of the keyboard? Hopefully, it's a new low profile scissor switch that has a slightly longer key travel from the butterfly switch.

In my opinion the current design is excellent from an aesthetics standpoint, so I'd be happy with a redesign that focuses on the keyboard and display. The current form factor with reliable scissor switches, a physical escape key, edge to edge 16" P3 HDR display, and new intel CPUs and AMD GPUs would check all my boxes. Improved thermals due to more efficient chips or a better cooling design would be the cherry on top.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I guess that's it though - Apple wouldn't re-tool slightly for a single model which was only going to be a stop-gap until a new design within the year? If they wanted to rush something out with a scissor keyboard, they'd have done it a while back.

So I'm thinking that this is the re-design - its evolution rather then revolution. Which is fine by me, I like the current design - its under the hood they need to sort out.

Edit - I'm sure the keyboard is a scissor one, its obviously going to look the same from the top-down regardless!

Reactions: alexandero

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
So I'm thinking that this is the re-design - its evolution rather then revolution. Which is fine by me, I like the current design - its under the hood they need to sort out.
I agree, I think we'll see a redesign once Apple switches from Intel-CPUs to their own chips. Which probably won't happen before late 2020, as they'd want to make sure most software can easily be recompiled for the new architecture first (and announce the upcoming changes at WWDC).

Reactions: ascender

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

Comet lake H series is supposed to be available in the spring. Would we really be having this many rumors if it was that far away? Wouldn't we expect a 10.15.2 or something by then? Why would these detailed pics be in 10.15.1 if 10.15.1 wouldn't be around for the release?

Bahhhhh

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I am always confused when people assume that redesign would mean something dramatic. What would they expect? Apple's laptop design always pursued the same vision, and they are closer to it then ever. From the design language standpoint, the MBP did not change that much in the last 12 years. So sure, we will get a tweaked geometry, some bits and pieces here and there, but I don't think that the next iteration of the MBP is going to be a dramatic departure. There is just no function in that. Those images in the 10.15.1 look just about right for a 2020-2024 redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.