Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like a release today won’t happen.

I’m not sure I see Apple releasing this laptop in 2019 anymore.

WithBBQSauce

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
I am waiting for a couple more weeks and if there's nothing from Apple I am looking for Windows laptops.
Seriously. Last night I took back a 2019 15”, which is a wonderful computer but for the stupid keyboard. Stopped at Microsoft store and looked at the new Surface 15”. Great keyboard and nice screen. Pen support. Just don’t think I can do Windows...

Reactions: d0nK

seoa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
Seriously. Last night I took back a 2019 15”, which is a wonderful computer but for the stupid keyboard. Stopped at Microsoft store and looked at the new Surface 15”. Great keyboard and nice screen. Pen support. Just don’t think I can do Windows...

Yeah, I was a Windows user and it took me a long time to get used to macOS and I can't think of going back to Windows now, but the range of Windows hardware you can choose from is very enticing.
[automerge]1572548626[/automerge]
Yet another rumor today about volume shipments for the fourth quarter - which we are already in the middle of: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/31/16-inch-macbook-pro-volume-shipments-4q19/

According to the video that animates the 15'' and the 16'', the rumoured 16'' is 4.7% bigger which makes it 16.12 inches.

EDIT: If the bezels are smaller, it means real screen estate is greater than 16.12''.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The new Mac Pro is expected late November, so, there is a possibility Apple might introduce the 16 inch MacBook Pro then along with a refreshed 15 and 13-inch laptops. If we don't see anything by the end of November, don't get your hopes up, its either March or June/July 2020.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
There isnt any H series for 10th gen.

no there is, what we don’t have is 10nm for the 10th gen H series, it’s 14nm. Just like the desktop line. What’s weird is that 10th gen 14nm H is well behind the U and Y parts... And waiting for 10th Gen H wouldn’t be a terrible idea, it does bring LPDDR4x for example. But my concern is if Apple goes ahead with the 16.4 now, it will have to be with 9th gen and they may not update to 10th gen for a good while after it’s available. Apple does do that.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
no there is, what we don’t have is 10nm for the 10th gen H series, it’s 14nm. Just like the desktop line. What’s weird is that 10th gen 14nm H is well behind the U and Y parts... And waiting for 10th Gen H wouldn’t be a terrible idea, it does bring LPDDR4x for example. But my concern is if Apple goes ahead with the 16.4 now, it will have to be with 9th gen and they may not update to 10th gen for a good while after it’s available. Apple does do that.

WTH are you talking about?

There is no H series for Intel 10th gen Mobile CPU. Both 10th gen 14nm and 10nm dont have H series too. The 9th gen H series is the latest. This is why 16 inch rumored to have 9th gen H series mobile CPU which 15 inch from 2019 also has.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
WTH are you talking about?

There is no H series for Intel 10th gen Mobile CPU. Both 10th gen 14nm and 10nm dont have H series too. The 9th gen H series is the latest. This is why 16 inch rumored to have 9th gen H series mobile CPU which 15 inch from 2019 also has.

I suppose I misinterpreted your brief post. We very much will have 10th gen H series. What you were responding to was about 10nm H series. I assumed we all knew neither was actually available today...

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Yet another rumor today about volume shipments for the fourth quarter - which we are already in the middle of: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/31/16-inch-macbook-pro-volume-shipments-4q19/

2019 Q4 started October 1st and ends December 31st (according to this https://investinganswers.com/dictionary/q/quarter-q1-q2-q3-q4). So we still have a little more than half of the quarter to go that it could possibly ship if the report you linked is correct. Same with how Apple said the new Mac Pro releases in the fall, but that actually gives them until December 20th (and the 2013 Mac Pro and iMac Pro both released in December). We still have a while to suffer lol.

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
I suppose I misinterpreted your brief post. We very much will have 10th gen H series. What you were responding to was about 10nm H series. I assumed we all knew neither was actually available today...

I was responding to both 14nm and 10nm H series. We wont gonna see H series until next year and there isnt any confirmation for 10nm H series while 14nm H series already leaked.

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
Can anyone explain to me why do we need 10th generation i9?
I understand that it is always cool to have the fastest CPU, but what for? Would not it be better to use 10th gen i7 over i9?

Personally, I would prefer a lower temperature (I put the laptop on my lap a lot) and longer battery life over CPU performance. (The only thing that stops me from buying MB Air is the size of the screen, I need 15 inches).

If you have an option between these two, what model will you choose?
  • MBP 16'' with 10th gen i7 (10nm)
  • MBP 16'' with 9th gen i9 (14nm)

Reactions: PestoBalsamic

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
I understand that it is always cool to have the fastest CPU, but what for? Would not it be better to use 10th gen i7 over i9?

Personally, I would prefer a lower temperature (I put the laptop on my lap a lot) and longer battery life over CPU performance. (The only thing that stops me from buying MB Air is the size of the screen, I need 15 inches).

If you have an option between these two, what model will you choose?
  • MBP 16'' with 10th gen i7 (10nm)
  • MBP 16'' with 9th gen i9 (14nm)

Why not i9? A lot of people demand better performance form laptops.

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
Why not i9? A lot of people demand better performance form laptops.
As I mentioned, i9 is good, but, probably, we won't see 10th gen i9 soon. Therefore, Apple has two options 9th i9 or 10th i7.

If you are after a better performance there are hips of laptops on a market with overall better performance than MBP, however, there are only a few models (maybe none at all) that can offer the screen quality of MBP.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have a question...

When selecting the processor for the new 16" MBP...

Should I go i7 or i9?

I went with an i9 in the 2018 15" model.

I basically only do web surfing, email and occasionally I do work in iMovie.

Am I getting a faster experience with the i9 over the i7?

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I have a question...

Should I go i7 or i9?

No.

SuperSonic80

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2019
I have a question...

Should I go i7 or i9?

Imho, if I had a choice between 10th gen i7 and 9th gen i9 I would choose i7 for sure.
However, if both of CPUs were of 10th gen, I would choose i9 (Apple usually likes to give more tweak options for higher CPU models, ex. GPU or memory options)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Are you kidding me? That laptop is bulkier than he 15" MBP, with performance inferior to the 13" MBP and connectivity worse than the Air? I mean, its a great alternative to the MacBook Air (although the bulk kind of sucks), but I really don't understand how you could be considering even hypothetically if you are eyeing the 15" MBP...
[automerge]1572589676[/automerge]
I have a question...

Should I go i7 or i9?

Get the i20, the one powered by pixie dust.

Seriously, maybe wait until this mythical laptop is even released before trying to choose the CPU. We don't even know if this machine is coming at all, not even talking about what CPU options it will have available.
[automerge]1572590040[/automerge]

Because Intel was stuck at the same core architecture since 2015. The next-gen CPUs are faster, more efficient, support AVX-512 (that can almost double the performance for many computationally-heavy workflows) and generally are superior for professional workloads. But of course this is al moot as Intel does not have an Ice Lake that can compete with current i9, and from the looks of it, won't have it out for a while.

By the way, if you don't care about CPU performance and just want an 15" ultrabook, the 15" MBP is really an overkill. its a thin-and-light, sure, but its still a performance-oriented laptop. There are a bunch of alternatives on the market that pair a 15" display with a weaker CPU — unfortunately barely any of them surpass the 15" MBP in battery life...

Last edited:
Reactions: eulslix

mlourenco9

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
We knew from rumours, not from evidence.

In fact, from Apple we know nothing.
I don’t expect nothing new in MBP before mid 2020. I hope I’m wrong, cause I’m waiting a machine with a good keyboard, without termal problems and, if possible, without Touch Bar.. but Apple launched 2019 models. Let’s wait.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll save money, buy the i7 and splurge on the hard drive and ram
If it were me, I'd opt for more storage then if any money is left over ram. I think macOS does a great job with memory management, but storage can be consumed quite easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.