Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
As far as I know, mobile Xeons are exact same chips as their consumer counterparts, just tested more extensively (as you say). Are you absolutely sure that "rejected" Xeons are discarded and not sold as i5 models instead?

As for the price... the official price for the Xeon E 2286M is just $40 over its spec-identical i9 counterpart. Apple's laptops are already priced on the higher end of the market, it wouldn't be a big cut into their margins, but the positive PR would be overwhelming. I really think that the yield is the major factor. After all, Apple mights not sell as many laptops as Dell or HP, but all MacBook Pros require expensive Intel CPUs. I would really like to see the statistics of where do all those i7s and i9s end up. I'd be surprised if Apple was not dominating that list in one way or another. The bottomline is that Apple's consumption of CPUs probably vastly outnumbers the amount of mobile Xeons Intel can push out.
My understanding of it is that while the core design is common from Core Y through to Xeon, the way they are arranged on the package is completely different. With desktop chips, most Xeons don't have an iGPU included at all, though the mobile variants do have 'HD P630' graphics from what I can tell (I can't find any more info about these so I can't say whether they differ materially from regular UHD630).

Price wise, I did say that's not what Apple pay, but how Apple values it to the customer. They charge $300 more for an i7 over an i5 even though the cost differential to Apple is minimal with their bulk orders. They will charge more for a Xeon over an i9 because they can charge more for it, because people will pay it. Its value when inside an Apple computer is dictated by Apple, not Intel. The price differential for the i9 over the i7 is also $300, so I would expect at least the same again to go from an i9 to an equivalent Xeon, regardless of what the actual monetary value (or performance delta, assuming any) of the chip is.
[automerge]1572955068[/automerge]
Are there any solid rumors of a MBA 15"?
I'd definitely get it and hopefully we could build up to the 32GB ram.
Unfortunately not, Apple seem insistent that if you want a 15" screen you must also want an i7-H, at least 16GB RAM and a dGPU. I'm holding out a tiny scrap of hope that if the 15" Pro survives after the 16" is introduced, it might be repositioned slightly lower (like the 13" formerly nTB model) - so it would start with a quad core i5-9300H, 8GB RAM, 555X (or even cheaper 550X?) for around $1,899-1,999. Leaving the higher end i9/32GB/Vega options for the newer/bigger model.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Let's see what happens today and the rest of the week.
Too much going on this week: Adobe Max and Microsoft Ignite. Just like the window to launch a new iPad Pro has passed, the same can be said for the MacBook Pro. The 2019 MBP’s released earlier in the year are it for this year it seems.

But you can sure bet a redesign is in the works for 2020. It’s either gonna be March or most likely June 2020.

It’s amazing the current generations first rev was launched in October 2016 before the US election took place at the time. I vaguely remember visiting the Apple store and only seeing the non touchbar model on display; and not impressed by the keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let's see what happens today and the rest of the week.
I think you're grasping for straws, companies don't usually roll out new products (or updated ones) in November. Probably for lots of reasons, including the fact that holiday shopping is commencing.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think you're grasping for straws, companies don't usually roll out new products (or updated ones) in November. Probably for lots of reasons, including the fact that holiday shopping is commencing.
The iMac Pro and Mac Pro are certainly exceptions to the rule here, and there remains the possibility this is aimed at a similar audience as those machines, so I wouldn't rule anything out until the Mac Pro launch has come and gone with no further news. These aren't the sort of machines that will be given as Christmas gifts, so the launch timeframe doesn't really matter in that regard. Having said that, assuming the early start of production really is to avoid new US tariffs which will be in effect by next year, that's the single most compelling argument for the launch being imminent dispelled.

Reactions: Ener Ji

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
In order of preference for my video/photo needs...

1. DisplayHDR 1000 screen
2. 8GB GPU
3. more tactile keyboard
4. support their new XDR Display

...I'll be happy if than can deliver on any two! Ha!

With the holidays now bearing down all of my gear purchase decisions are now put off until late-winter/early-spring, so the long-rumored Octorber release date has now become inconsequential on my end.

Reactions: a_politis

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iMac Pro and Mac Pro are certainly
Yes, that's why I said usually ;) The difference between those machines and MBPs though is that the iMac Pro and soon to be released Mac Pro are professional level machines not marketed at consumers. I think in both of those situations, apple needed to roll something out ASAP, and even now the clock is ticking regarding the Mac Pro.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Well true otherwise they would have launched with the AirPods.

It's indifferent for me, I'll wait for it to come out whenever they feel like.
[automerge]1572966220[/automerge]
In order of preference for my video/photo needs...

1. DisplayHDR 1000 screen
2. 8GB GPU
3. more tactile keyboard
4. support their new XDR Display

...I'll be happy if than can deliver on any two! Ha!

With the holidays now bearing down all of my gear purchase decisions are now put off until late-winter/early-spring, so the long-rumored Octorber release date has now become inconsequential on my end.

Same here for me it's like this

1. Navi + 8GB GPU
2. 10th Gen or Ryzen
3. Improved Keyboard
4. Thinner Bezels
5. Improved chassis for temperatures

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
At this point, there is NO 16-inch MBP for this year. It's already 5th of Nov and yet there is no news about it. I highly doubt that they gonna release a new MBP without any events.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
At this point, there is NO 16-inch MBP for this year. It's already 5th of Nov and yet there is no news about it. I highly doubt that they gonna release a new MBP without any events.

Aye count it for 2020 at this point

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I really think it’s coming with the new Mac Pro. Whenever they announce a ship date for the Mac Pro and pricing for the wheels, boom, new 16-inch MacBook Pro.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I really think it’s coming with the new Mac Pro. Whenever they announce a ship date for the Mac Pro and pricing for the wheels, boom, new 16-inch MacBook Pro.

It must be a ploy to get as much as possible out of Marco Arment’s wallet in one single day.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's official - straight from Kuo - no 16" in 2019.

(I believe the logic is that since he didn't mention the 16" it absolutely must mean by omission that it's not coming).

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
It's official - straight from Kuo - no 16" in 2019.

(I believe the logic is that since he didn't mention the 16" it absolutely must mean by omission that it's not coming).

I don't follow that logic, but I think you are probably correct.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I wouldn't cross off 2019 just yet. GoMac, a regular over in the Mac Pro forums, found this on the fcxp creative summit web page:

fcpx.png

That starts Thursday and could presumably be a hands on event with some hardware. Mac Pro is maybe the most likely since its always been linked with FXCP, iMac Pro (lack of rumors but all the parts of an update are ready) and MacBook Pro could be possible too.

Last edited:

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
In my opinion, they are the same identical chip, but the consumer chip has parts of the hardware disabled, either programmatically or physically (e.g. by destroying certain areas of the die). Besides, is CPU flashing even a thing nowadays, with all the encryption and cryptographic verification? I remember people used to do it a while ago, mostly with GPUs (I also remember using a pencil to connect some wires on my old Athlon CPU to turn it to a faster model ^^), but I haven't heard about these kind of mods in a while.

I do get your point, but also try to understand mine. It's like saying that a cappuccino and a macchiato are essentially the same drink, just with fewer ingredients (e.g. same chip architecture, just different options on it). But it's not that simple.

But yeah, the Athlon era was a good era...

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
I wouldn't cross off 2019 just yet. GoMac, a regular over in the Mac Pro forums, found this on the fcxp creative summit web page:

That starts Thursday and could presumably be a hands on event with some hardware. Mac Pro is maybe the most likely since its always been linked with FXCP, iMac Pro (lack of rumors but all the parts of an update are ready) and MacBook Pro could be possible too.

I am giving Apple until then or else I am going refurbished 15".

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012

View attachment 875127

“some surprises from theApple product team”

that must be the raffle, or we can have our imaginations run wild!

Reactions: wallysb01

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
That could be either new hardware or a new version of Final Cut (or just something stupid like the raffle). If there's hardware, there are three possibilities - just a hands-on with the Mac Pro, the start of preorders for the Mac Pro, or perhaps something new. If there is something new, that is probably the MBP, which would drop by press release the day before or the day of.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I am optimistic we may see an announcement in the next 3 days.

If it doesn't happen this week then I surrender to those of you who said 2020

1573028469395.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.