Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
We know a Mac Pro announcement will drop tomorrow. Already a placeholder for it on BH Photo

When did that placeholder go up? Has it been there since the initial announcement? Or did it just go up this week? Retailers like B&H or Amazon use placeholders all the time and it usually isn't indicative of the actual release time until the manufacturer gives the actual release date officially.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
True that's what i'm hoping

Right like what 500 euros more? As in 3k? I don't know let's wait and see

I think it could be as little as 200USD/EUR more, but depends a lot on the starting configuration. If Apple makes (for example) a Navi GPU standard or 512GB SSD standard, the price is definitely going to reflect that. I doubt it will start for more than $2999, but I do fear that the starting configuration might once again come with an ancient Polaris-based GPU and that Navi will only be a BTO option.

You guys have no ambition. I hope is costs LESS!!!

I mean, hope springs eternal...but I'm also keeping my expectations low so that I'm not too disappointed. ?
[automerge]1573077870[/automerge]
When did that placeholder go up? Has it been there since the initial announcement? Or did it just go up this week? Retailers like B&H or Amazon use placeholders all the time and it usually isn't indicative of the actual release time until the manufacturer gives the actual release date officially.

I just checked, and the Internet Archive Wayback Machine last archived that page on September 8th, and on that date it had the old Mac Pros listed. So this change is at least new in the last two months.

Archive page:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007

Dan,

That's a very good question and observation.

Honestly, don't know.

I actually read in another forum a post where someone pointed out the placeholder. I thought it was recent, but you do bring up a point that it could have been there longer.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I think it could be as little as 200USD/EUR more, but depends a lot on the starting configuration. If Apple makes (for example) a Navi GPU standard or 512GB SSD standard, the price is definitely going to reflect that. I doubt it will start for more than $2999, but I do fear that the starting configuration might once again come with an ancient Polaris-based GPU and that Navi will only be a BTO option.

I mean, hope springs eternal...but I'm also keeping my expectations low so that I'm not too disappointed. ?
[automerge]1573077870[/automerge]

I just checked, and the Internet Archive Wayback Machine last archived that page on September 8th, and on that date it had the old Mac Pros listed. So this change is at least new in the last two months.

Archive page:

I'm not going to get a model without Navi that's for sure

Reactions: Ener Ji

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

Don't forget, at this event they showed the new imac pro 2 years ago..so mac pro is a given..but hopefully the 16" mbp will be also

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Don't know but just this morning I notice the Return key on my 2018 MBP is started to feel a bit dull and unresponsive so it better be soon ?

So it begins.. For you :p

Mine started with the bottom arrow and the S getting sticky... Already going on my third keyboard.

These days I just clean the keyboard every day and wash my hands ?

Reactions: The Mercurian

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Its about 15 months old a so far no problems I think I've done well. I do have some trace of staingate however - which I've not seen generally reported for 2018 machines but there definitely a trace having seen it on my previous machine.

Edit: so I just cleaned the screen with a microfiber cloth. This photo shows marks on the screen that are not clean off able- ie they are not on the surface -> stain gate. It’s not noticable when the screen is on but when it’s off very obvious.

6EC279A8-545F-4EF6-BDC5-49D31D40F181.jpeg

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Try using some mild liquid, to be sure they're not "stains"

Oh yeah thanks I have done. They are definitely not on the surface - the picture isn't great but they look like bubbles under the surface. My last machine 2014 MBP had staingate and they replaced it and this looks the same exxcept spread more evenly around the screen. Its not a problem when using the machine so I've not done anything about it so far.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Not sure how long it's been like this or if it even means anything, but on Best Buy's MacBook Pro page there's 2 boxes you can check to sort by, 13"-14" and 15"-16". It could be nothing, but Best Buy has been known to accidently leak new products in the past. This could mean that a new 14" and 16" are coming very soon.

I personally think it would make sense to launch them side by side too. Replace the upper end of the 13" line with the 14" starting at $1799, and leave the entry level 13" where it is.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Not sure how long it's been like this or if it even means anything, but on Best Buy's MacBook Pro page there's 2 boxes you can check to sort by, 13"-14" and 15"-16". It could be nothing, but Best Buy has been known to accidently leak new products in the past. This could mean that a new 14" and 16" is coming very soon.

I personally think it would make sense to launch them side by side too. Replace the upper end of the 13" line with the 14" starting at $1799, and leave the entry level 13" where it is.
I think that's general practice as there can be small screen size differences between manufacturers (e.g. Apple use a 15.4" 19:10; Microsoft use a 3:2 15.0" and Dell, HP, Razer etc use a 15.6" 16:9). Someone noticed a while back that the 15" has completely disappeared as an option in Apple's UK refurbished store - like not greyed out because they're out of stock, but completely gone from the screen size options. It hasn't yet returned which is very odd, though as I would expect them to keep selling refurbished 15" models after the introduction of the 16" it may be unrelated?

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
I think that's general practice as there can be small screen size differences between manufacturers (e.g. Apple use a 15.4" 19:10; Microsoft use a 3:2 15.0" and Dell, HP, Razer etc use a 15.6" 16:9). Someone noticed a while back that the 15" has completely disappeared as an option in Apple's UK refurbished store - like not greyed out because they're out of stock, but completely gone from the screen size options. It hasn't yet returned which is very odd, though as I would expect them to keep selling refurbished 15" models after the introduction of the 16" it may be unrelated?

I just check the Irish and the German refurb stores. The 15" option is gone in Irish one and still there in the German one. The Irish store and the UK store are basically the same AFAIK so I wouldn't read too much into it. It could just be a glitch in the Apple matrix. (lattice? ?)
[automerge]1573139616[/automerge]
I'm the opposite, if anything could pull me back into the fold, it could be a 16" MBP, though the price tag will still prevent me..

Much to my shock I priced up a Lenovo P1 8 core 32GB laptop and it basically costs the same as the MBP ? I know Dell would be cheaper but I have doubts about build quality with Dell.

Reactions: Falhófnir

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Not if you buy the workstation with the same spec. XPS, sure, it's cheaper, but then again you were looking at P1 and not X1 Extreme

I'm thinking of the XPS. Whats Dell workstation line ? Precision ? (Edit: ah your post updated to answer that ?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.