Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I am still chewing on what happened a few days ago...

Microsoft: announcing Unified Office
Adobe: announcing Photoshop for iPad and updates for the entire CC range
Apple: releases a trailer for a movie

Reading those posts on the front page made me understand that Apple has moved on so far that their spaceship campus practically disappeared over the horizon, and here I still am, a toothless dinosaur mumbling something about computers.

Last edited:

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Reading those posts on the front page made me understand that Apple has moved on so far that their spaceship campus practically disappeared over the horizon, and here I still am, a toothless dinosaur mumbling something about computers.

I think all that means is Apple's product release cycle isn't synced up with their competitors... Which it never really has been. Apple announces/releases products whenever they want. They already had their big software announcement/release with Catalina already. They wouldn't have some random other software update planned just for the sake of announcing it the same day as Adobe and Microsoft, doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

OxCxDx

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019

You are not the only one, we listen. But lets just hope there is no mass extinction for a while.

Reactions: navaira

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
You are not the only one, we listen. But lets just hope there is no mass extinction for a while.

Yep, closest thing to real hardware these days is a phone. Even the iPad is kind of an afterthought. They'd rather sell $200-$400 trinkets for those that would rather brag about their gear than get work done.

Oh well, 2020 MacBook Pro it is. I'm having a hard time seeing Apple release the MBP any closer to the holidays. Mac Pro still likely happens, since Apple has specifically said it will come during the fall, but could be like the 2013 version all over again where its mostly just a paper release until the next year. Not holding my breath for the MacBook Pro until Comet Lake is available now. Hope the battery on my 2014 lasts that long.

Reactions: OxCxDx

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Mac Pro still likely happens, since Apple has specifically said it will come during the fall, but could be like the 2013 version all over again where its mostly just a paper release until the next year.

2013 Mac Pro released middle of December 2013, technically the very very end of fall. What do you mean by "paper release until the next year"? Just that it's so close to the next year (a week or two) that it may as well have just been the 2014 Mac Pro?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

just different focus

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
2013 Mac Pro released middle of December 2013, technically the very very end of fall. What do you mean by "paper release until the next year"? Just that it's so close to the next year (a week or two) that it may as well have just been the 2014 Mac Pro?

Not just that, but also that very, very few units arrived to people prior to even February of 2014.

Reactions: DanMan619

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
For me at that price it would have to come with a 1TB SSD to tick the 'fair' value box. Not overly concerned with the other specs, think 16GB RAM is ok, Vega 16 rather then the reheated 3 year old Polaris chips would be nice*, though at that point it's actually starting to become better value than the current 15" so maybe not feasible? Surely at some point they have to depreciate the Polaris GPUs and make Vega standard though, this is a good opportunity to do it.

*for my use, this is about cooler thermals & better battery than actual performance.

Agreed, although I think a 512 GB SSD with a default Vega 16 (or better, a Navi 16 equivalent) would be pretty desirable for me along with the larger screen, presumably improved keyboard and other ancillary upgrades and improvements that hopefully Apple will make. (Including, hopefully improved cooling.)

One sacrifice is Apple might need to stock a $2999 configuration and the above specs with a 6 core processor, but I'd be quite happy to take a 6-core processor as long as I can get the fastest GPU.

Max48

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
I wouldn’t mind a 3k+ base price in exchange for Vega and not-insulting storage as the base options. My 2019 build went to almost 4K before I returned it Vega20/1Tb/32GB.

Reactions: Ener Ji

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
March or June 2020 it is then. I am concluding the 16 inch will be replacing the 15 inch.

I'm in your boat. Comet Lake H series chips are likely ready by around March. Holding my breath until then. If Apple lets me up to breath earlier, great.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Ok well it looks like this week was a write-off as well. Our last-ditch hope for the elusive 16-inch MBP is that it launches at the same time as the new Mac Pro, and hopefully in time for Apple’s Black Friday sale. I’m currently without a Mac (and using a work Windows laptop ugh), so whatever happens I will buy a new Mac on the last weekend of November, and use Apple’s two week return window if there’s a December launch.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
... so whatever happens I will buy a new Mac on the last weekend of November, and use Apple’s two week return window if there’s a December launch.
Note that the holiday return policy for Apple usually begins around mid-November and lasts until Christmas. When you buy Apple hardware during that time, you can return at any time through the first week of January. So you have up to a 7-week return window instead of the usual two.

https://www.imore.com/what-you-need-know-about-apples-holiday-return-policy

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Of course this could be comically wrong, but it deserves serious attention:

Better photo:

A lot about that seems suspect to me. The image is pretty low quality when you zoom in so it's hard to really make out what is there. The row in front of the guy with the laptop in question is very dark so it could just be somewhat blending in with the normal bezels of a known existing laptop. That Twitter account doesn't seem like it's anyone affiliated with any proper press outlets or with any kind of following (which in and of itself isn't that much of a red flag since it's just a final cut pro x event). Plus the event was at Apple Loop building in Cupertino. With how that place is designed i kind of doubt their conference/presentation rooms look like hotel banquet halls like it does in this image.

EDIT: Seeing the better images though... It kind of looks like a Macbook Air to me. I feel like they have slightly slimmer bezels than a Pro, but the screen size looks too large to be an Air. This might actually be something... I don't know. Seems weird though that the guy would just have the unreleased and unannounced 16" MBP just out in the open for everyone to see like that.

Last edited:

macuser284

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
A lot about that seems suspect to me. The image is pretty low quality when you zoom in so it's hard to really make out what is there. The row in front of the guy with the laptop in question is very dark so it could just be somewhat blending in with the normal bezels of a known existing laptop. That Twitter account doesn't seem like it's anyone affiliated with any proper press outlets or with any kind of following (which in and of itself isn't that much of a red flag since it's just a final cut pro x event). Plus the event was at Apple Loop building in Cupertino. With how that place is designed i kind of doubt their conference/presentation rooms look like hotel banquet halls like it does in this image.
Agree on everything. Just added higher quality photo.

Reactions: DanMan619

Max48

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
06BFDC79-CEFC-4225-9571-15ACE016FBF1.jpeg

seems too thin of bezels and large for an air Imo. But I do agree with how non-Apple the architecture Of the hall looks.

Reactions: cerberusss

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
When you look at the higher quality version of the pic it’s even more convincing. The bezels are clearly small and I think I can even see a hint of a distinct Touch ID key. Supposing that is the 16-inch, is this more evidence of an imminent launch? Would an Apple employee be using such a device if it was due to launch in March?

Reactions: martyjmclean

recurrence

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
That’s a super interesting pic. Doesn’t quite look like any current model. I thought it was perhaps an older mac of some sort (You’d be surprised how many people are on old generation macs) but it doesn’t fit any of those either. The bezel does seem too thin to be a current production or archived release.

EDIT: After comparing some MBPs from the same angle... I’m leaning towards it being the regular 15”. I think the angle and lighting is playing tricks on us.

Last edited:

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Part of me wonders if it's a PC laptop. There's plenty of them that look very similar in design to a Macbook Pro and have slimmer bezels. The Huawei Matebook X Pro is a prime example. Of course, it's not very likely someone would show up to an event about an Apple exclusive software with a PC laptop. I'm just spitballing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.