Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
The problem is, her videos are of really no substance, its just OMG unboxing. She basically rehashes the specs page and her trips here and there with OMG this is so cool! I can understand an MKBHD or Jonathan Morris who do actual test. But iJustine is just too superficial. But its just like winning the lottery, she was at the right place, right time and milked it to this point where she is now. I just wish her channel was of more substance.

Correct.

I don't dislike iJustine, but her entire career is filming over-the-top OMG reactions and saying "I am so excited about this" statements.

Same thing I would be doing if someone sent me free products all the time.

There really is no other substance to her review.

And, yes, it makes no sense that Apple would send her a review unit. How easy it would be for her to review it. "OMG THIS IS AMAZING -- I SAY IT ALL THE TIME BUT THIS TIME I MEAN IT...."

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
So where is the source/rumor that iJustine has one? I'm not finding anything online pointing to it.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I like Justine. She is also easy on the eyes. iJustine is the gateway drug to technology for many people. She's one of many people that brings the "culture" to Apple that Steve Jobs talked about in 1995. Now it's possible she has a pre-release 16-inch MacBook Pro with an announcement of it on Tuesday. Like I've said a few times here, Apple put up its order page for the Vega graphics options on the 15-inch MacBook Pro on November 14th last year. Keep the faith, folks.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
So where is the source/rumor that iJustine has one? I'm not finding anything online pointing to it.

I think a couple posts back someone mentioned that Gruber put something out there that was vague and somehow iJustine's name came up.

Who knows if it's really true, but my personal opinion is that we will see an announcement before Black Friday.

So, if the review units rumors are true, we'll get a true professional to review it and a blonde bimbo unboxing with "OMG!"

Really sorry about the blonde bimbo comment. She's not. However, her entire career has been opening boxes and acting surprised.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I like Justine. She is also easy on the eyes. iJustine is the gateway drug to technology for many people. She's one of many people that brings the "culture" to Apple that Steve Jobs talked about in 1995. Now it's possible she has a pre-release 16-inch MacBook Pro with an announcement of it on Tuesday. Like I've said a few times here, Apple put up its order page for the Vega graphics options on the 15-inch MacBook Pro on November 14th last year. Keep the faith, folks.

Well yeah.. Thing is at the end of the day it either happens or it doesn't.

Let's just see what happens... Would be nice to have a 16" inch option available this year

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
That is gonna be one hell of a 256 gig SSD

“It’s got deep fusion and it’s neural and (some other new buzzword they made up) too!”
“Don’t forget about the new ScissorFly Pro keyswitches!”

(They are like scissors, but with a touch of Fly...and of course are “Pro”)
Scissor fly Max Pro S does have a certain ring to it.
The problem is, her videos are of really no substance, its just OMG unboxing. She basically rehashes the specs page and her trips here and there with OMG this is so cool! I can understand an MKBHD or Jonathan Morris who do actual test. But iJustine is just too superficial. But its just like winning the lottery, she was at the right place, right time and milked it to this point where she is now. I just wish her channel was of more substance.

To be fair, she did a more thorough first impressions of the AirPods Pro than MKBHD and that other guy (went to different settings to test noise cancelling etc).

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
The new hardware is up there in the wild already..we see mac pro and also there are rumors about ijustine having the new mbp
View attachment 876012

If you watch the whole Instagram story this screencap is from, you can see he also has a MacBook Pro open on his mixing desk. I’ve seen some people say on Twitter that it seems to have ultra-thin bezels and is potentially the 16-inch.

Reactions: macuser284

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
New? That'd be since 2016.

Don't you think it's time to let that particular subject be?

To be fair, that debacle should be brought up even more. One of the dumbest design decisions in computer history. It’s like they invented the cell phone... then decided to go back to land lines.

Heck, maybe Apple will continue the process... None of us had considered, but maybe the next MBP will have SLOWER processors? Maybe a lower-res, monochrome screen? Hmm, the possibilities...

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
So, Tuesday here we come!

We know the announcement of the Mac Pro is imminent. If that's a 16" on Gruber's desk that will be announced too.

And yes, we have been here several times before.

no girls

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
i honestly wouldnt be surprised if the 2020 redesigned macbook pros will be very very similar to the current gen, with only small changes. reason is because the era of steve job's innovation is gone, and we now have a tim cook with his focus on the "bottom-line" for company profits. tim would rather keep the current designs than spend on R&D and retooling for new designs. thats why there hasnt been a new imac redesign in so many years, the iphone designs have barely changed between iphone 6 to 8, iphone x to 11, same mac mini design etc. even Jony Ive have left, with many news outlets reporting this lack of design freedom as an issue. i have a feeling even the new macbook pro redesigns will be very underwhelming unfortunately :(

RovingEditor

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2019
1.8M twitter followers, 6.2M YouTube subscribers, loves Apple products, doesn't look 35 - perfect bit of free advertising.
I guess it makes sense for Apple to have review units of the 16” MacBook Pro out there , they will welcome all the positive press they can get when they launch, especially with the all keyboard issues on the previous 15” models. Does anyone know if the 16” was leaked again in Catalina 10.15.2 ?

OxCxDx

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019

We know the announcement of the Mac Pro is imminent. If that's a 16" on Gruber's desk that will be announced too.

You would expect it would be on the same day.

Perfect opportunity for a missing "....one more thing, we have something to show you, your going to love it"

Reactions: NJRonbo

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
i honestly wouldnt be surprised if the 2020 redesigned macbook pros will be very very similar to the current gen, with only small changes. reason is because the era of steve job's innovation is gone, and we now have a tim cook with his focus on the "bottom-line" for company profits. tim would rather keep the current designs than spend on R&D and retooling for new designs. thats why there hasnt been a new imac redesign in so many years, the iphone designs have barely changed between iphone 6 to 8, iphone x to 11, same mac mini design etc. even Jony Ive have left, with many news outlets reporting this lack of design freedom as an issue. i have a feeling even the new macbook pro redesigns will be very underwhelming unfortunately :(

I really doubt that 16 MBP doesnt worth the title: 5th gen MBP. I'm just assuming that 16 MBP that we saw isn't the final design.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Correct.

I don't dislike iJustine, but her entire career is filming over-the-top OMG reactions and saying "I am so excited about this" statements.

Same thing I would be doing if someone sent me free products all the time.

There really is no other substance to her review.

And, yes, it makes no sense that Apple would send her a review unit. How easy it would be for her to review it. "OMG THIS IS AMAZING -- I SAY IT ALL THE TIME BUT THIS TIME I MEAN IT...."

Yep, but where we differ is I can't stand her.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Yep, but where we differ is I can't stand her.

I get it! She adds nothing of value to the products she gets for free. It's the same OMG response every time. However, God Bless her for that has worked beautifully for her channel and wealth of subscribers. They don't seem to care about the mindless unboxing videos.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
I get it! She adds nothing of value to the products she gets for free. It's the same OMG response every time. However, God Bless her for that has worked beautifully for her channel and wealth of subscribers. They don't seem to care about the mindless unboxing videos.

I really don't see that she's worked hard, relative to other Youtubers, so maybe that's part of what bothers me. I agree, God bless her for what she does and being a nice girl who brings fun and positivity to her subs, but I think she just got lucky and people subscribe almost solely because of her goofy personality and, I suppose, a lot of people think she's pretty. I've seen WAY better content with great quality video but still low subs and views.

I don't know. I'm probably just being a negative Nancy right now...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Wait how come Gruber we know he might have it on the desk?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
What I don't get is why they'd give a MPB review unit to iJustine?

But I suppose Youtube stars are now as important to Apple as 'pros'

Times have changed - when you want to get your new tech product out there to a large group of potential buyers, people like her and MKBHD will top a lot of companies lists. Whether you like some of their particular styles or not, you can't agree with their subscriber numbers.

Reactions: Falhófnir

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Times have changed - when you want to get your new tech product out there to a large group of potential buyers, people like her and MKBHD will top a lot of companies lists. Whether you like some of their particular styles or not, you can't agree with their subscriber numbers.
I mean it makes sense if you think about it.. Can’t wait to see this bloody thing

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I mean it makes sense if you think about it.. Can’t wait to see this bloody thing

I think it was the most recent The Talk Show podcast where they discussed this exact thing and made a call back to the original iPhone launch where the exclusive (or most time with the phone or something) went to Walt Mossberg and another one of the big US newspapers.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
She may have subscriber numbers, but is her audience the target market? Are they actual potential buyers? I suspect many of her followers might be adolescents who aren’t likely to drop $3-4K on a laptop.

Actual pros or pro-sumers are looking for reviews that’s in-depth with real world performance.
But perhaps Apple is happy to simply just get eyeballs on their new products.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
She may have subscriber numbers, but is her audience the target market? Are they actual potential buyers? I suspect many of her followers might be adolescents who aren’t likely to drop $3-4K on a laptop.

Actual pros or pro-sumers are looking for reviews that’s in-depth with real world performance.
But perhaps Apple is happy to simply just get eyeballs on their new products.
Very correct, its the lust factor. I could very well say 99% of her subscribers are not influenced to buy anything she unboxes because:

1. They don't have the money.
2. Too young - don't have the money.
3. Likely her personality and simple approach to tech.

The fact that she is unboxing Microsoft products now considering she is a self-described Apple Addict since the late 90's proves the channel is nothing more than an influencer platform for advertising. Its really all about influencer reach. For Apple and Microsoft, it's much cheaper than paying CBS or CNN 700,000 for a commercial spot. Just send all the top influencers $50,000 worth of hardware they have to return anyway and the occasional all-expense-paid trip to WWDC or launch events. It's strategic because you gotta admit, most of the eyeballs are on mobile devices and I admit, I watch the unboxings, too.

What I want to clarify is, Apple products were going to be popular with or without iJustine, MKBHD or Jonathan Morris. The popularity preceded them. It's just that they had the foresight - which I wish I had to become influencers using YouTube.

But what are the chances that someone is gonna buy a Surface Pro or a MacBook Pro because iJustine said OMG! its likely for hell to freeze over first before that happens.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I’m sure it has been mentioned...

But of course we shouldn’t discount the “sex appeal” factor that iJustine brings here, particularly to the dork/nerd side of tech, many of whom might not be getting someone with her looks even batting an eye at them normally in real life.

Let’s just say that “iJustine” has an appeal that a hypothetical “iJustin” does not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.