Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

That's the entire shtick of her channel

Reactions: Dr.Ravencroft

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

About 99.9% of YouTube channels are utter trash. Her's is no exception. There is just way too much noise on YouTube to shift through to find the signal. I don't really get all these eyeballs on YouTube.

Reactions: NJRonbo

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I like Macrumor's channel and I am not saying that for the obvious reason.

It's not even their hardware reviews I am interested in, but rather their monthly app recommendations. Found so many great apps thanks to them.

So now that I have gone totally off-topic, let me return us to the thread at hand...

Hope Tuesday is the day the 16" MBP is announced!

Reactions: OxCxDx

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I'm sorry but, how do you know that John Gruber and iJustine have a MBP16?

(I land to this thread casually)

It’s all speculation. Gruber posted on Daring Fireball recently that “for reasons [he] will not go into...at this moment, [he’s] got emoji on [his] mind...” At the time I thought it was a hint to do with a 16-inch MacBook Pro review unit and its Touch Bar, but it turns out that iJustine is at Apple Park today and posted this video about new embroidered emoji design t-shirts in their store. What we can now deduce from this is that within the last week Gruber and iJustine have visited Apple Park and haven’t discussed why. My guess? 16-inch MacBook Pro and/or Mac Pro briefings.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
It’s all speculation. Gruber posted on Daring Fireball recently that “for reasons [he] will not go into...at this moment, [he’s] got emoji on [his] mind...” At the time I thought it was a hint to do with a 16-inch MacBook Pro review unit and its Touch Bar, but it turns out that iJustine is at Apple Park today and posted this video about new embroidered emoji design t-shirts in their store. What we can now deduce from this is that within the last week Gruber and iJustine have visited Apple Park and haven’t discussed why. My guess? 16-inch MacBook Pro and/or Mac Pro briefings.

iJustine was at the FCPX Conference, that is why she was at Apple.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
You guys are spending entirely too much time and effort on iJustine and the merits or lack thereof of her channel. It doesn't matter if you like her channel or not, or who you think her audience is or whatever. We don't even actually know she has a review unit, literally no one of any credibility has said she does other than some one on this thread who made the random claim. Let's move on to some other wild/absurd theory.

• Haha
Reactions: Ener Ji and leman

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The problem is, her videos are of really no substance, its just OMG unboxing. She basically rehashes the specs page and her trips here and there with OMG this is so cool! I can understand an MKBHD or Jonathan Morris who do actual test. But iJustine is just too superficial. But its just like winning the lottery, she was at the right place, right time and milked it to this point where she is now. I just wish her channel was of more substance.
Thing is, she's not just preaching to potential customers, she's a prime example of a key customer for this machine, someone that's doing moderately intensive video editing. Style & substance aside she surely knows her stuff when it comes to FCP editing as that's her job - so there's few people in a better position to use and review this product in a convincing capacity.

Reactions: DanMan619

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Thing is, she's not just preaching to potential customers, she's a prime example of a key customer for this machine, someone that's doing moderately intensive video editing. Style & substance aside she surely knows her stuff when it comes to FCP editing as that's her job - so there's few people in a better position to use and review this product in a convincing capacity.
Well, she better know it or how else would she publish her videos?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Wow, this topic has gone off track.

There's not any legitimate evidence that Justine Ezarik or John Gruber have been secretly given pre-release 16-inch MacBook Pros. It's just massive straw grasping.

So to put this train back on track, what we know by these 3 legitimate pieces of evidence:
  1. Apple's forthcoming Pro Display XDR has a 96-watt host charging capability; LG's recently updated Ultrafine 5K Display now has power delivery up to 94-watt for charging.
  2. 16-inch MacBook Pro icon discovered in a 10.5.1 beta.
  3. 16-inch MacBook Pro shown in photograph hidden in macOS.
That's pretty much it for solid evidence.

We know it's coming. It's not waiting until March. And it would make a ton of sense for it to come with the availability of the new Mac Pro. Given that the Mac Pro seems to have already been spotted in the wild, I think it & the 16-inch MacBook Pro is nearing a release soon. Granted it might be available for pre-order with shipping in a few weeks. Plan for that possibility.

Gruber & Ritchie believed shortly after the announcement of Airpods Pro that the 16-inch MacBook Pro would be coming later this year. I don't think Gruber necessarily knows, but Rene Ritchie seems more in the know. Ritchie has also said on podcasts that the keyboard is a focus from what he's heard — so the rumors of it returning to scissor switches and the inverted T arrow keys seem to be strong even though the leaked keyboard photo still looks like a butterfly keyboard.

Meanwhile Mark Gurman is probably the best in the business of knowing what's going on wrote that the keyboard is a "delight" & indicated that it's imminent.

I would love to say Tuesday, November 12th is the day. But I've felt like past days would have been perfect days for an announcement and... nothing happened. Last year, on November 14th, we got to order an updated 15-inch MacBook Pro with Vega graphics. Keep the faith.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
View attachment 876249 View attachment 876252

If she weren't nice to look at, her channel wouldn't be as successful ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[automerge]1573430218[/automerge]

There's not any legitimate evidence that Justine Ezarik or John Gruber have been secretly given pre-release 16-inch MacBook Pros. It's just massive straw grasping.

So to put this train back on track, what we know by these 3 legitimate pieces of evidence:
  1. Apple's forthcoming Pro Display XDR has a 96-watt host charging capability; LG's recently updated Ultrafine 5K Display now has power delivery up to 94-watt for charging.

We know it's coming. It's not waiting until March. And it would make a ton of sense for it to come with the availability of the new Mac Pro. Given that the Mac Pro seems to have already been spotted in the wild, I think it & the 16-inch MacBook Pro is nearing a release soon. Granted it might be available for pre-order with shipping in a few weeks. Plan for that possibility.

Gruber & Ritchie believed shortly after the announcement of Airpods Pro that the 16-inch MacBook Pro would be coming later this year. I don't think Gruber necessarily knows, but Rene Ritchie seems more in the know. Ritchie has also said on podcasts that the keyboard is a focus from what he's heard — so the rumors of it returning to scissor switches and the inverted T arrow keys seem to be strong even though the leaked keyboard photo still looks like a butterfly keyboard.

Meanwhile Mark Gurman is probably the best in the business of knowing what's going on wrote that the keyboard is a "delight" & indicated that it's imminent.

I would love to say Tuesday, November 12th is the day. But I've felt like past days would have been perfect days for an announcement and... nothing happened. Last year, on November 14th, we got to order an updated 15-inch MacBook Pro with Vega graphics. Keep the faith.
I've been predicting this Tuesday for the past few weeks. Two weeks after the launch of Apple TV+ and two weeks prior to Thanksgiving.

Apple had a few weeks to focus on TV, they will now have two weeks to focus on their pro products and then they begin to wrap the year up around Thanksgiving.

I don't follow Twitter feeds closely, but if you checked Rene's feed it would not surprise me if he's traveling right now (or tomorrow) to get a briefing on the East Coast. He did that for Air Pods Pro.
[automerge]1573430438[/automerge]
When Gruber gets product briefings, he gets them in New York. He lives in Philadelphia and takes the train in.
[automerge]1573430656[/automerge]
I think a couple posts back someone mentioned that Gruber put something out there that was vague and somehow iJustine's name came up.

Who knows if it's really true, but my personal opinion is that we will see an announcement before Black Friday.

So, if the review units rumors are true, we'll get a true professional to review it and a blonde bimbo unboxing with "OMG!"

Really sorry about the blonde bimbo comment. She's not. However, her entire career has been opening boxes and acting surprised.
She comes off as a bit of a blond airhead. I don't think she is, but that is how she often presents herself.

She might be a bimbo, but I don't know anything about her personal life.

Last edited:

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
This from John Gruber on Daring Fireball in a post about emoji

“For reasons I will not go into here, at this moment, I’ve get emoji on my mind today. ”

Am I reading into this too much or is it possible he has a review unit. He doesn’t, to my knowledge, have a touchbar mac. I can imagine this being an oblique reference to the touchbar.
Also, FWIW, I'd look for MKBHD or Jonathan Morrison to get a unit before Gruber. Apple's changed the way they seed their review units. Their focus now is on the YouTubers more so than the normal print press. I remember when the iPhone X was released. The YouTubers got units first and Gruber was livid. He was posting about it.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I think we have one last ditch effort to get this MBP this year, and it would be alongside the Mac Pro.

Too much smoke for the MBP to wait until March, and with what is almost certainly a controlled leak from Calvin Harris, we know the Mac Pro is out there in the wild in the hands of people right now, so I'd wager this Tuesday is, indeed, the day. Don't think they'd let it sit in the hands of people for multiple weeks before release, seems like the kind of thing Apple would do in the week immediately before release.

So I think we have a good chance of seeing both products this week, probably Tuesday since that for whatever reason often seems to be Apple's preferred day. I'm guessing MBP will be announced Tuesday, available Friday.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I think we have one last ditch effort to get this MBP this year, and it would be alongside the Mac Pro.

Too much smoke for the MBP to wait until March, and with what is almost certainly a controlled leak from Calvin Harris, we know the Mac Pro is out there in the wild in the hands of people right now, so I'd wager this Tuesday is, indeed, the day. Don't think they'd let it sit in the hands of people for multiple weeks before release, seems like the kind of thing Apple would do in the week immediately before release.

So I think we have a good chance of seeing both products this week, probably Tuesday since that for whatever reason often seems to be Apple's preferred day. I'm guessing MBP will be announced Tuesday, available Friday.

I will go one better. If the MBP is announced Tuesday it could be available for sale Tuesday. I believe that is what happened with the silent upgrade of the 15" a few years ago.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I suspect many of her followers might be adolescents who aren’t likely to drop $3-4K on a laptop.

One of my colleagues regularly has great fun blasting her iPad Pro video at full volume through the office.

[automerge]1573430218[/automerge]

If she weren't nice to look at, her channel wouldn't be as successful ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Absolutely. But then again, I don't have any problem whatsoever with people earning money using the gifts from parents/nature/${DEITY}. I mean I received good brains and now use them as a programmer. She uses her good looks. But plenty of people got good looks and don't have her subscriber numbers. So, there's more to it. She's got to be an entrepreneur as well. It takes real skill to set up a business, and that's a business right there. That took resilience, street smarts, being good with money, able to delegate, feeling for marketing, the works.

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Very correct, its the lust factor. I could very well say 99% of her subscribers are not influenced to buy anything she unboxes because:

1. They don't have the money.
2. Too young - don't have the money.
3. Likely her personality and simple approach to tech.

The fact that she is unboxing Microsoft products now considering she is a self-described Apple Addict since the late 90's proves the channel is nothing more than an influencer platform for advertising. Its really all about influencer reach. For Apple and Microsoft, it's much cheaper than paying CBS or CNN 700,000 for a commercial spot. Just send all the top influencers $50,000 worth of hardware they have to return anyway and the occasional all-expense-paid trip to WWDC or launch events. It's strategic because you gotta admit, most of the eyeballs are on mobile devices and I admit, I watch the unboxings, too.

What I want to clarify is, Apple products were going to be popular with or without iJustine, MKBHD or Jonathan Morris. The popularity preceded them. It's just that they had the foresight - which I wish I had to become influencers using YouTube.

But what are the chances that someone is gonna buy a Surface Pro or a MacBook Pro because iJustine said OMG! its likely for hell to freeze over first before that happens.

Indeed, I also watch the unboxing although I'm more of a data/benchmark nerd. I assume everyone does see the unboxing for curiosity and the appeal

But at the end of the day the reality regarding iJustine is that she does in fact do some heavy lifting in Final Cut with her videos and vlog and etc... But would be nice to get some feedback from her on that end her professional going

I will go one better. If the MBP is announced Tuesday it could be available for sale Tuesday. I believe that is what happened with the silent upgrade of the 15" a few years ago.

Let's hope so! I'll wait for benchmarks and compare it with the current 15" inch and then make a decision come Black Friday

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I don't have any problem whatsoever with people earning money using the gifts from parents/nature/${DEITY}
So you don’t have a problem with hookkers that earn their money with their body/good looks?
Again looks should matter in fashion industry not in tech

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for the post, I was wondering where people got this rumours that they had the Macs lol

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
How much longer do I have to wait for a MBPro with a touch screen and detachable keyboard because that is what we all really want? "But you can just get an iPad Pro with smart keyboard and the new iOS is supposed to be more like.... etc etc" .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.