Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
The 13" was refreshed already this year. Not sure why anyone is expecting a second refresh.

Looking forward to an announcement of the 16" MBP in the next three days.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’m actually worried about being disappointed, the scars from the “waiting for sky lake” wait is still fresh and open.
Yeah, but at least once it's official we can move on from over-analysing leaks and our expected specs to whingeing about everything that's not the way we wanted it to be and hoping the 2020/21 refresh will fix them ;)

I'm setting my expectations against a baseline of $3,000 and i9/16GB/Vega/512GB with options up to at least 32GB RAM, Navi GPUs (now or added later), just maybe a Xeon as a high end BTO. This leaves the approximate value in line with the existing 15" line (actually just fractionally better value for that specific configuration). The new Keyboard and larger screen will be the interesting things (as much as they are) for this model. Possibly it's going to be more than I want to spend, in which case what (if anything) they will do with the 15" going forward will be of more interest to me.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Listen, I am going to go into today thinking a release is imminent and an announcement within the next two days.

So excuse these questions about a model yet-to-be-released as I am going to order as soon as it's announced and I won't have time to check back here.

For normal to moderate use along with iMovie and Final Cut Pro editing at times...

1. The i7 over the i9 if we are dealing with current chips? I have been told to skip the i9.
2. What should I look for in graphics? Do I need to go with higher-end graphics for moderate film editing use or go with base configuration? I do want to run two 27" monitors so that's a consideration as well. I know the VEGA graphics have proved to be fine for this. I have always gone with the basic graphics configuration and had no issues except a bit of a sluggish response when rendering videos in iMovie or Final Cut.

I will be looking to go with 32GB minimum with a hope of 64 and 2TB SSD.

Again, I am jumping the gun here but rather to ask now what to look for before preorders possibly begin

Last edited:

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
It's likely that the 13" will become a 14" and get the touchbar redesign + potentially dGPU, but that's going to be at the very least at WWDC; the current generation is a pretty solid deal, if you need that extra graphics performance or crave the escape key, you could hold out but there are 0 real rumors about that laptop yet.
I'm very much hoping for a new 14" – I want to replace my 13" MBP and there's no chance I'll ever buy another one with this keyboard. I just had too many issues, and even if the 2019 version is improved, I don't trust it. Because 2017 they "fixed" the 2016 issues, and 2018 they "fixed" the 2017 issues, and 2019 they "fixed" the 2018 issues.

Reactions: amacrumorsuser

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, no 14" rumors. I doubt it. The only model we know that is getting an upgrade this year is the 15"

The higher-end models are simply a better choice for perfecting new tech before its ready for true mass-production. The higher costs help to amortise the inevitably more expensive components, and you don't need to ship as many of these models either. This is what tech companies have been doing for a while now, and it makes perfect sense.

Reactions: NJRonbo

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
The higher-end models are simply a better choice for perfecting new tech before its ready for true mass-production.
I know. But it's about time Apple introduces a keyboard that works across the entire line.
[automerge]1573577351[/automerge]
Yeah, no 14" rumors. I doubt it. The only model we know that is getting an upgrade this year is the 15"
I'm following the rumor-mill as closely as many here. I also doubt we'll see a new 13"/14" today. But hopefully before WWDC, maybe by March.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
That's not what's happening here.

The 16" MacBook Pro is a new product. The 15" isn't going anywhere, it costs significantly less than what the 16" will start at.

And it looks like tomorrow is the day.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The other likely option is, they are gonna have an intimate event for a special select few reviewers at their loft in New York. They have done that in the past to demo the performance of MacBook Pro's used by artists, scientists and engineers.

I told yah!

9to5Mac recently reported that Apple appears to be holding private press briefings of some kind at its luxury loft mansion in New York City this week, likely to facilitate those 16-inch MacBook Pro first impressions. Multiple out-of-town tech reporters have tweeted that they are in or headed to New York City over the last few days.

Article: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-inch-macbook-pro-announcement-expected-by-tomorrow.2210853/

So, looks like we don't have to wait until March after all.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah its been pretty clear this is what was going to happen.

The people that have been saying "Oh well see you in March" really need to let go of their Apple-patterns obsession.

When the signs are there, they mean something, regardless of whether it fits a pattern.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So, looks like we don't have to wait until March after all.
Don't think March was ever likely once we had leaks about production starting in October. Aside from a few questions over stockpiling ahead of US Tariffs, it's insane to hold stock of a product in warehouses for 5 months - they don't even build up that much iPhone stock...

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Again looks should matter in fashion industry not in tech

I don't think this really is tech, though. This is more like entertainment for tech people. It's the same as a financial professional watching CNBC. No hedge fund manager is getting their news from CNBC but nevertheless they may think it's entertaining to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanMan619

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
So if it's not tomorrow, its March?
The buildup of hype is too much.

Seems to be the release with the highest hype i can remember even though the expected features are pretty boring. However those features seem to line up with what fans have wanted for a few years now and might finally get tomorrow!

I'm personally pretty excited as I literally have no daily driver except for my iPad mini and my work PC?

Reactions: SRTM

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Seems to be the release with the highest hype i can remember even though the expected features are pretty boring. However those features seem to line up with what fans have wanted for a few years now and might finally get tomorrow!

I'm personally pretty excited as I literally have no daily driver except for my iPad mini and my work PC?

Believe me, this is maybe 5% of the hype around sky lake release, and I’m being kind.

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'll probably still wait to upgrade until late 2020. Wait for the new keyboard to get kinks worked out (if any), and I'm more interested in dGPU offerings. Hopefully in late 2020, AMD will have an answer to Nvidia's RTX (Raytracing) and have mobile versions ready by then.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

What features in particular do you refer to? There is nothing so far that would suggest this 16” is substantially different from anything Apple has been shipping in the last 10 years...

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
That's not what's happening here.

The 16" MacBook Pro is a new product. The 15" isn't going anywhere, it costs significantly less than what the 16" will start at.

And it looks like tomorrow is the day.

As far as i know, we actually still don't know for certain the 16" is a new product line or if it's replacing the 15". There's nothing confirmed about that, just people assuming. Even the leakers haven't really made any firm predictions about where the 16" is slotting into the lineup. We've been speculating for so long, some of us are starting to think our theories are fact and we should remember that other than the screen being 16", the likelihood of a touchbar redesign that we saw in the Catalina icons, a likely return to scissor switch keyboard and an "imminent" announcement, almost everything else about this MBP is completely unknown still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.