Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Ooooh this is a tough one. I would like tomorrow. I don't think it's going to be a review but more of an overview so the outstanding new features can be highlighted.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple has figured out something. There appears to be an incentive deal between the YouTube influencers and Apple to control leaks. Apple’s most loyal press folks are a part of this and are considered dependable. But Apple see’s YouTube as way more important part of how they control the messaging around product launches. A video that’s 10 mins is way better than reading about it. iJustine, Jonathan Morris and MKBHD is over 15 million subscriber reach. Apple is gonna get that press for both the 16 MacBook Pro and 7,1 Mac Pro in just a few days. Smaller audiences like Gruber and iMore (Vector) guy will reach over 500,000 core Apple enthusiast.

But the important part is, they don’t leak. The important part for the influencers and enthusiast/evangelist is, they become an unofficial extension of Apple PR.

Reactions: Aquamite

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
What was the timeline between Airpods Pro press briefings and product release/announcement?

Wasn't the briefing the week before, meaning we might not see product until next week? Or was it same week?

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I fully acknowledge that this is probably a new low-point in post quality for this thread, but...

...Rene Ritchie and iJustine both posted Instagram stories today from airports.

Attachments

• 7007E8B1-BD50-4615-99AB-D5048A06E388.png
    7007E8B1-BD50-4615-99AB-D5048A06E388.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • 80B31E30-8EEC-4ED4-9EF7-5E22AE99DEEB.png
    80B31E30-8EEC-4ED4-9EF7-5E22AE99DEEB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 82

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
... my wallet is not ready

Having received a second full refund from Apple just a few days ago for yet another disastrous butterfly keyboard MacBook Pro, and having now put up with using the sh!ttest work Windows laptop of all time for two weeks, my wallet is so, so, ready. Take my money, Tim. Take all of it. I will be refreshing the Apple online store like there’s no tomorrow in around 12 hours time. with any luck, the butterfly keyboard era is finally about to fly away!

charliebarley

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
I fully acknowledge that this is probably a new low-point in post quality for this thread, but...

...Rene Ritchie and iJustine both posted Instagram stories today from airports.

Definitely a new low, but this is what Apple have reduced us to by not addressing the keyboard issue for so long. I am desperate to upgrade my 2015 MBP, just waiting for them to release something that isn't a step backwards from what I have. Been waiting nearly 5 years now.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Am I the only one who wishes Apple would extend their range a bit and make something like a 15" Air? We've got some powerful machines in the office for the "heavy lifting" but when out and about or at clients I just want a portable Mac which does all the normal productivity stuff and has a larger screen.

I wouldn't have thought a larger Air would cannibalise sales from the Pro line.

But anyway, looks like the 16" is "imminent" again doesn't it :)

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Am I the only one who wishes Apple would extend their range a bit and make something like a 15" Air? We've got some powerful machines in the office for the "heavy lifting" but when out and about or at clients I just want a portable Mac which does all the normal productivity stuff and has a larger screen.

I wouldn't have thought a larger Air would cannibalise sales from the Pro line.

But anyway, looks like the 16" is "imminent" again doesn't it :)

I think that's how they get you if you don't want the power... The 15" inch screen.

Yeah I'm curious about it, turns out the 2017 TB 13" base model doesn't hold up enough for me since I started doing more virtualisation via Parallels and VM Fusion.. Now the problem is.. Dual Core & 8GB aren't simply enough to have 2 VMs going to work a 4th same time in dual 4k displays...

Time to upgrade...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Damnit I don’t need a new MacBook Pro but i can’t say no to a physical escape key!

Should we be expecting future MacBook Pro’s (ie 13”) to also have this or do you guys think this might be a 16” exclusive?

I’ve been stung with anticlamtic releases all too often recently and I’m wondering how Apple may manage to yet again - perhaps a ridiculous price premium over the 15”?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Even the rumour sites can't agree - seems to be 50-50 between "nothing imminent" and "Apple are holding press briefings this week".

I'd expect any new design cues from the 16 to trickle down to the 13" next year.

charliebarley

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
I’ve been stung with anticlamtic releases all too often recently and I’m wondering how Apple may manage to yet again - perhaps a ridiculous price premium over the 15”?

Don't believe the base option of this machine will cost more than $3k.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
Don't believe the base option of this machine will cost more than $3k.

A lot of people are outraged at the 3k starting price. If as you say the base is 3K, that could be totally fine if the base is a 32Gb / 1TB option - an option aimed at pros. It could also be a 16gb/512 option, but with some new unnamed feature. People are literally complaining about a price/feature ratio when they neither know the price nor the features they are getting. It's insane.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
A lot of people are outraged at the 3k starting price. If as you say the base is 3K, that could be totally fine if the base is a 32Gb / 1TB option - an option aimed at pros. It could also be a 16gb/512 option, but with some new unnamed feature. People are literally complaining about a price/feature ratio when they neither know the price nor the features they are getting. It's insane.
I'm interested to see if this does start at say $2,999, with for example an i9/16GB/Vega 16/512GB base spec, whether the 15" will be repositioned back to starting at $1,999 with something like an i5/8GB/555X/256GB spec (and say an i7/16GB/560X/512GB upper model for $2,499) to appeal to middle of the road consumers. Seems that could ultimately be more profitable than trying to bring down the price of admission for the 16" next year? You get a new performance focused/optimised machine and a capable but smaller/cheaper and more portable model appealing across a broader range of audiences than either could entice on their own.

Legion103

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Any idea of the 13” MBP will get a redesign? Is purchasing one now silly if a new one is coming out soon?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Any idea of the 13” MBP will get a redesign? Is purchasing one now silly if a new one is coming out soon?
It will likely be later next year as there's been zero rumours or leaks that it's coming alongside the 16" model. An internals update to Intel 10th gen is barely possible, but given it was last updated in May/July seems unlikely (would upset customers)? Also, for the current 28W model, they would have to use a 15W chip with TDP upped to 25W as the nearest equivalent.

Reactions: Legion103

saintL

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
It's likely that the 13" will become a 14" and get the touchbar redesign + potentially dGPU, but that's going to be at the very least at WWDC; the current generation is a pretty solid deal, if you need that extra graphics performance or crave the escape key, you could hold out but there are 0 real rumors about that laptop yet.

Reactions: Legion103
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.