Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luxmetz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
I've been following this thread for a while. So after all it seems that we will see MBP tomorrow said Mark Gurman on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Reactions: Aquamite

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
As far as i know, we actually still don't know for certain the 16" is a new product line or if it's replacing the 15". There's nothing confirmed about that, just people assuming. Even the leakers haven't really made any firm predictions about where the 16" is slotting into the lineup. We've been speculating for so long, some of us are starting to think our theories are fact and we should remember that other than the screen being 16", the likelihood of a touchbar redesign that we saw in the Catalina icons, a likely return to scissor switch keyboard and an "imminent" announcement, almost everything else about this MBP is completely unknown still.
It has been consistently reported by the same sources that have provided all the details we have to this point, that it will come in at the high end to start with.

However, right now Bloomberg is saying it will come in at 2400 and replace the 15" immediately. I highly, highly doubt that. We'll see tomorrow.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Mark Gurman just tweeted the screen is only 16 inches i.e just 4% larger.
So it's not 16.4 inches as implied by the screen resolution.
SAD.
Also im a little surprised just looking at the icon leaks. It looked like it was at least an inch bigger...not a measely 4%.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
The screen on the new MacBook Pro is less than 4% larger than the current 15.4 inch. So it’s really going to be about the higher resolution, impressive speakers, noise cancelling microphones and of course the all new keyboard (similar to the iMac external Magic Keyboard).
So if its just 16” and not 16.4” means higher ppi,better speakers, hopefully with better driver since since 2018 ones we have speakers crackl, and that magic keyboard that we all know from the imacs. And lets see the overheating if this one was also addressed

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
same chassis? you mean the same exact dimensions ? its impossible
if you mean the same material for chassis, like aluminium , yes, no magnesium for the Macs

Why would it be impossible? All that's needed to account for the larger screen is shrinking the bezels--that doesn't require a new chassis. The keyboard potentially could, but some of the rumors have been indicating that it's still going to be a low-travel keyboard much like the butterfly just with a different mechanism--that still doesn't require a new chassis.

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
well thats a letdown if thats the case
[automerge]1573626559[/automerge]
there better be a i7 model because if theres i9's there gonna have to underclock them via OS again like they did the last i9's otherwise thats macbook is gonna be on firrre!

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Why would it be impossible? All that's needed to account for the larger screen is shrinking the bezels--that doesn't require a new chassis. The keyboard potentially could, but some of the rumors have been indicating that it's still going to be a low-travel keyboard much like the butterfly just with a different mechanism--that still doesn't require a new chassis.

Thing is though, the shell might be the same dimensions, but the machine work on the shell is probably going to have to be fairly different to accommodate what we already know (wider area for speakers), things that are possible from rumors (physical esc key), and the possible internal shuffling to do things like improve cooling or make room for a different keyboard. Put it all together and I don’t think Apple would be greatly benefited to keep the same shell. It’s a new product, make it the dimensions that are required to give it the features you want. Don’t box your self in. Just like the iPhone 11 Pro is ever so slightly different in size from the X/Xs, same could be true here.

Reactions: ThisBougieLife

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
same chassis? you mean the same exact dimensions ? its impossible
if you mean the same material for chassis, like aluminium , yes, no magnesium for the Macs

Of course it's possible. It has been discussed ad nauseam on the forums. I was among the people who did the calculations. Reducing the bezels minimally will fit a 16" display in the current chassis.
[automerge]1573627533[/automerge]
Put it all together and I don’t think Apple would be greatly benefited to keep the same shell. It’s a new product, make it the dimensions that are required to give it the features you want.

Agreed, but at the same time there is not much reason to expect that the 16" size will be significantly different from the current form factor. Maybe a mm. wider in either direction, but that's it. I don't expect it to be any thicker, for example.
[automerge]1573627592[/automerge]
there better be a i7 model because if theres i9's there gonna have to underclock them via OS again like they did the last i9's otherwise thats macbook is gonna be on firrre!

You are saying it as if factory-undervolted CPU are a bad thing... you are getting desktop-class CPU performance in a chassis thinner than some ultrabooks after all.

Edit: its undervolting, not under clocking, my bad. Got caught in the previous poster's terminology.

Last edited:

BeatWilson

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
yeah... thats not logical. The single cores run slower. I get it. It is impressive but if your gonna do it. Do it well.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You guys really think apple will shrink that much the bezels to place into the same chassis 0.6” more?
I hope not, that means same 83w battery with same fans
Apple never was into the bezel fight
So dont hope for that,lets hope for a slightly slimmer bezels with a slightly bigger chassis with 90-93w battery and more room to breath inside and less heat

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
yeah... thats not logical. The single cores run slower. I get it. It is impressive but if your gonna do it. Do it well.

They don't? I should have got my terminology right — Apple does not under clock CPUs, they undervolt them. Meaning running the CPU at its proper clocks but will less energy than nominal (if the CPU can do that, which it usually can).

no girls

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
You guys really think apple will shrink that much the bezels to place into the same chassis 0.6” more?
I hope not, that means same 83w battery with same fans
this upcoming 16" release feels a lot like the 2015 mbp release where they introduced force touch track pad on a current generation device, right before updating to a new chassis. this way, they were able to do reliability tests and what not on the force touch track pad before it got implemented in the new chassis. seems like theyre doing the same thing with this 16" for the redesigned keyboard

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.