Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
So happy right now! They hit all the right notes - keyboard, screen size and brightness, new GPU, better cooling, BIGGER battery (should not be overlooked), and all the small bonuses, like an ESC key, inverted arrow layout, 512GB base storage, etc

I'm sold!

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Its coming up, I just went to the apple store page and got a 404

It's up now in Canada. Probably worldwide too.

CAD$2,999 for i7/16/512, or CAD$3,499 for i9/16/1TB.
That's priced favourably against the 15" pricing.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It looks very nice. Marginal increase in size and weight is bearable. Graphics options are better than expected, so is the price. Default SSD sizes are excellent. This might indeed be a winner — it compares very favourably to its direct competitors such as Dell XPS and friends.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Alright gonna get the base config for sure. Will wait for retailers to have it to try out the keyboard

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I'm quite torn at the moment between saving some coin and getting the very respectable base model, or going all in on an absolute beast.

Game64

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm hesitant to buy. WWDC is only 6 months away. With how little fan-fair from Apple this release got. I can't help but think something bigger/better is coming at WWDC...

Reactions: Mr. Dee

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm hesitant to buy. WWDC is only 6 months away. With how little fan-fair from Apple this release got. I can't help but think something bigger/better is coming at WWDC...
I doubt it if anything we'll see a spec update. Why not get this now (if you need it) and enjoy the machine. You can get stuck in the waiting for the next thing mindset and never buy.

JustHereforHelp69

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2018
Not the right thread but I am too happy to care, been lurking for a long while.

My story: I bought the 2019 macbook pro 15 when it came out in June because my 2015 hard-drive failed. A week later the headphone deal came out, I was mad but I had an idea. I didn't buy apple care at the time of purchase because I wanted to wait the two months for no real reason, but it ended up saving me. I came back 2 months later to buy applecare and talked to the manager about a return and repurchase so I can get the headphones. He agreed. My new return date was given to me and two weeks later I returned it at the end of august and played the waiting game. I originally had the 2.4/vega 20/32/1 tb. I just ordered the 2.3/5500 8GB/64/2tb and its cheaper. I feel so happy right now. We made it boys

Reactions: cerberusss

savagemic

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2019
Same, but there's always something bigger and better coming...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Its a nice upgrade for those who have been waiting for a while with the older 2015 or earlier models. But I do think this is more of a silent update and the major revision is indeed next year. But this revision is likely the one you want to get if you don't want to take a chance of a Rev A next year.

I suspect Face ID will be coming.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I'm quite torn at the moment between saving some coin and getting the very respectable base model, or going all in on an absolute beast.

I've always ordered the base model.

Except for this time; my current project is in SwiftUI and I want those extra cores. Otherwise, wouldn't have gotten it. In my opinion, upgrades are expensive, while the base model is relatively "affordable". When you resell it, the base model moves quickest too.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Its a nice upgrade for those who have been waiting for a while with the older 2015 or earlier models. But I do think this is more of a silent update and the major revision is indeed next year. But this revision is likely the one you want to get if you don't want to take a chance of a Rev A next year.

If it is just Face ID, not much worth waiting for. A Pro Motion display? Maybe but how useful is that for most people.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I'd prefer to have Ice Lake, but let's be honest, we won't see it until 2021... and until then you won't get anything better. The GPUs are brand new as well.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Pretty much everything I could have hoped for and more - with 512GB and no price increase the base model is finally a real viable purchase :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pretty much everything I could have hoped for and more - with 512GB and no price increase the base model is finally a real viable purchase :)
Same here, but I don't think it makes too much sense for me to take the plunge. I do think the 2019 (15") MBP was the height of performance/stability and quality out of the 2016 model line, Apple raised the bar with the 16" model. Time will tell of course, and we're in a point where we all are affected by the RDF

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Same here, but I don't think it makes too much sense for me to take the plunge. I do think the 2019 (15") MBP was the height of performance/stability and quality out of the 2016 model line, Apple raised the bar with the 16" model. Time will tell of course, and we're in a point where we all are affected by the RDF
I'm probably still going to wait it out until WWDC anyway (my 2015 is still running along perfectly fine sans being a bit tight on storage) but I'm just really happy they've finally seen the light on a 256GB SSD in a nearly-£2.5K computer. With the 1TB upgrade being only £180, I can even get a full 1TB machine for £2,579 (happier about BTO if the keyboard is no longer a real concern) so have to say job well done on this one Apple! :)

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008

From here on out - Apple can just swap in new CPUs, memory, etc, but there will be very little reason for them to re-tool their manufacturing. This model addresses all their *major* customer needs. 2020 will be about deploying these changes to the rest of the lineup.

I really believe we are sitting at a global maximum point right now (unlike the 2019 15 MBP, which was only a local maximum). If you measure things in terms of what you are getting and WHEN you got it. If you wait another 8 months, you will get a cpu bump or gpu bump no doubt, but it will cost you 8 months.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I wonder what the battery life improvement will look like over the previous 15", must be quite significant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.