Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Anyone seen reviews including benchmarks to see how the new redesigned airflow has improved things?

45W H series 10th gen Intel is definitely not coming to the 16" next year, Intel's roadmap has it coming earliest at 2021.

There is a lot of confusion on this front. 10th gen H series are going to be 14nm Comet Lake, not 10nm Ice Lake like the 28 and under Watt chips. So performance gains will be small. The biggest thing 14nm Comet Lake, 10th gen H series chips will bring is LPDRR4x.

Those Comet Lake processors will likely be available in Q2 or Q3 next year. So look for a 14" and 16" upgrade to 10th Gen (Comet Lake 14nm on the 16", and Ice Lake 10nm on the 14") late spring early summer, IMO.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Anyone seen reviews including benchmarks to see how the new redesigned airflow has improved things?

There is a lot of confusion on this front. 10th gen H series are going to be 14nm Comet Lake, not 10nm Ice Lake like the 28 and under Watt chips. So performance gains will be small. The biggest thing 14nm Comet Lake, 10th gen H series chips will bring is LPDRR4x.

Those Comet Lake processors will likely be available in Q2 or Q3 next year. So look for a 14" and 16" upgrade to 10th Gen (Comet Lake 14nm on the 16", and Ice Lake 10nm on the 14") late spring early summer, IMO.

You are correct, I edited my original post as I mistook 10th gen with 10nm :D.

Reactions: wallysb01

EPO75

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Rotterdam
Of course there will be no redesign for 2020, just implementing Intel Gen10 cpu's with significant internal cpu graphics improvment (also needed for introduction of the 14 inch) and Wi-FI 6 and more. I will wait for it and yeah most likely at the WDC in June.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Tempted to sell my 2019 15” for this. Mainly for the Navi graphics and extra storage space. The one thing that has me on the fence is that 9th gen CPU... Anyone who has the 2019 15” knows how ***** HOT those things get. Even with low CPU task like web browsing, my 15” will be uncomfortable to have on my lap... (much different than my old 2017 15” which stayed cool unless I was really pushing it).

So I think I’ll wait to see how good that new thermal design is.

Anyone know when the 10th gen chips suitable for the 16” are rumored to come?

edit: so I’m seeing 2020 but I’m also seeing 2021 for 10th gen chips that will work for the 16”... Guess I’ll wait for some reviews to se how these things handle heat.

Last edited:
Reactions: am2am

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is a good machine. Better than what I expected. Apple is moving in the right direction IMHO. The dGPU is pretty good. They won't be as good as an NVIDIA RTX 2060, but closer to the GTX 1660. Not bad for an Apple machine. Good for 1080p gaming, but excellent for content creation.

Next year will be interesting. We'll see updates to the Radeon VII by AMD and hopefully something that trickles down to mobile. My 2018 is holding strong. No keyboard issues (knock on wood), but it's something I worry about long term. Hopefully there are no issues with the new scissor keyboard.

My hope is that Apple continues being aggressive with the Mac professional lines. My confidence in purchasing a future Mac will only increase then.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

Yes the IPC gains will be small but it will most likely be upgraded to 10 cores and WiFi 6.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I wonder what the battery life improvement will look like over the previous 15", must be quite significant!
Doubtful, thats not how Apple does things. When they increase capacity, they use it to power other things.

They say it lasts "about an hour" longer than the previous model. That makes sense.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Are you guys going to wait for the holiday return period to start? Apparently it started on the 14th last year. Seems like kind of a **** move to release a new laptop and then have the holiday return period start a couple days later...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Doubtful, thats not how Apple does things. When they increase capacity, they use it to power other things.

They say it lasts "about an hour" longer than the previous model. That makes sense.
Well they did say the new thermal design will allow the CPU to draw up to 12W more power on a sustained basis, but assuming you're not maxing your CPU all the time (and particularly on battery power which is kinda weird?) of course a bigger battery powering largely the same components (apart from a fractionally bigger display) is going to result in better battery life?

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Next year's release, with 802.11ax, fixes for all the `catchyname-gates`, and post-Catalina OSX should make for a solid machine.

Also, the keyboard will have been thoroughly tested.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Well they did say the new thermal design will allow the CPU to draw up to 12W more power on a sustained basis, but assuming you're not maxing your CPU all the time (and particularly on battery power which is kinda weird?) of course a bigger battery powering largely the same components (apart from a fractionally bigger display) is going to result in better battery life?
Of course, the test are done under light usage with 75% of maximum brightness
Apple with the iphones did the same thing,improved the battery life
Under heavy load i think you can get around 4-5 hours now

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Anyone check to see if they are in store today?

Later this week, so I would say Saturday they should be in most stores.
[automerge]1573664213[/automerge]
Are you guys going to wait for the holiday return period to start? Apparently it started on the 14th last year. Seems like kind of a **** move to release a new laptop and then have the holiday return period start a couple days later...

I think it would be safe to wait until they are in stores this weekend and that should allow for the Holiday Return period.
[automerge]1573664333[/automerge]
Of course there will be no redesign for 2020, just implementing Intel Gen10 cpu's with significant internal cpu graphics improvment (also needed for introduction of the 14 inch) and Wi-FI 6 and more. I will wait for it and yeah most likely at the WDC in June.

I agree, the 14" might show up at WWDC or close to it and they would update the 16" with new 10th gen Intel as long as they are ready. Plus adding Wifi 6 and we might see them move to 1080p cameras on both. Some minor updates on the 16", but overall something that is good.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Next year's release, with 802.11ax, fixes for all the `catchyname-gates`, and post-Catalina OSX should make for a solid machine.

Personally not worried about faster Wi-Fi, think our broadband maxes out at about 12Meg (rural area) which is OK but obviously 802.11ac is plenty for that speed. And of course this model will also get 10.16 next year too ;) Am interested to see if any uglies rear their head from people's general use, though.

Reactions: powerslave12r

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Personally not worried about faster Wi-Fi, think our broadband maxes out at about 12Meg (rural area) which is OK but obviously 802.11ac is plenty for that speed. And of course this model will also get 10.16 next year too ;) Am interested to see if any uglies rear their head from people's general use, though.
Well, faster Wifi is always better to have, but there are other benefits that 802.11ax brings. Either way, it's good for future proofing, since 802.11ax will possibly be around a long time.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

As usual something better is always around the corner. This will be true in June (assuming that’s around the time?) after 10th gen updates happen too. Meanwhile, people have work to do and Apple has hopefully finally fixed this atrocity of a keyboard and improved cooling, at least we hope. This really should have been the mid-2019 machine, but I guess it wasn’t ready in time. Now is a good time to buy for folks that have been waiting since 2014/15. It’s always risky to jump in on the first day, but give it a couple weeks and we’ll know a lot more.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Im still waiting out for 10nm...I just cant justify spending nearly 4k for a computer that has 4 year old node tech in it.

Thats where the real thermal and IPC gains will be, as well as battery life improvements now that we are back to 100WH batteries.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Been a long ride and happy to see it here. Had my 2015 13inch MBP since I started university 4 years ago and going to upgrade to the 16 inch soon. Glad to see Apple notebooks back at even number screen sizes :cool:

I love that the i9 starts at 1TB...thank you Apple!

Reactions: jimmy43

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Im still waiting out for 10nm...I just cant justify spending nearly 4k for a computer that has 4 year old node tech in it.

Thats where the real thermal and IPC gains will be, as well as battery life improvements now that we are back to 100WH batteries.
that could be 2 years out.

DiGiNeXita

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
Milan, IT
About 30 minutes after the PressKit was out, I ordered it.

CPU: Intel i9-9880H (8 cores, 2,3 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
SSD: 1TB

Apple Store website says it will be deliveder on the 28th of November; as soon as I bring it home, I will update you on my impressions.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
My updated wish list after MBP 16 release:

- 16 ARM cores - 5nm process technology; no vector instructions
- 4x faster SSD (PCIe 4.0, 2x number of channels)
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
- Higher-resolution FaceTime camera with FaceID
- keep Touch ID as an additional auth factor; move it to the 'J' key where my finger is already resting
- 16.5" display :) - shrink bezel a little more, make enclosure another 3/8" wider; notch at top
- make ESC key larger
- Touch Bar replaced with physical keys, each with a little screen (best of both worlds)
- 2 more USB-C ports

My main applications: CPU-based ray tracing (research), X-plane flight simulator (pilot training).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.