Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
So I'm already starting to speculate on next years machine:
- 90Mhz refresh improved screen
- Ice Lake 14nm H class chips for 2020.
- Wifi AX
- Improved Webcam with smaller module for FaceID

how we gonna do a sep spec thread when the 2020 MBP is already here? I suppose just keep this one:)

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
So I'm already starting to speculate on next years machine:
- 90Mhz refresh improved screen
- Ice Lake 14nm H class chips for 2020.
- Wifi AX
- Improved Webcam with smaller module for FaceID

how we gonna do a sep spec thread when the 2020 MBP is already here? I suppose just keep this one:)

The 90 Hz (Note that Mhz = 1000x90 refreshes per second ) screen may be balanced with a Comet lake cpu supporting LPDDR4 ram with reduced energy usage. Wifi 6 as well. Those are not bad upgrades to wait for if you really don't need a laptop - but it's not the same bump this model is offering either..

Maybe the mods want to make a new thread on this?
[automerge]1573674510[/automerge]
I never believed they would deliver 512GB paired with Navi on base model.

feeling so happy about this that I’m going to upgrade the GPU to the best model for 200€

I agree and am quite surprised. I'm purchasing as soon as the local reseller (I have to go through work) has the higher end models in stock. Looking to get the 64gb/8gb 5500m/ 2TB model. Hopefully it lasts a good 5 years!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Its a nice upgrade for those who have been waiting for a while with the older 2015 or earlier models. But I do think this is more of a silent update and the major revision is indeed next year. But this revision is likely the one you want to get if you don't want to take a chance of a Rev A next year.

I suspect Face ID will be coming.

or Full redesign with Apple ARM CPUs

Reactions: Mr. Dee

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Well then im waiting two years. Been sitting on a 2017 anyway which I got for "free" from a 200 bucks battery upgrade on a 2012 model. Been waiting nearly a decade anyway lol.
You think it's that much of a speed difference? seems more a power difference and by the time Intel does H at 10nm Apple will be using it's own CPU

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Just wait for the 14” with Comet Lake CPU - 2020/2021! Built-in PCIe4, wi-fi6, very fast integrated GPU and LPDDR4 with HD facing camera to!

Reactions: Dulcimer

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
Base on Wiki, 16 inch MBP is considering as 5th gen... If it's true, then the design itself wont gonna change for another 4 years...

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
You guys kill me.

Apple knocked it out of the park with this laptop. I’m getting it.

I'm happy they released these changes, but "knocked it out of the park"?

I'm just trying to keep it real is all.

This machine should have been the 2016 model. We are simply getting back to where things already should have been.

Reactions: g75d3

grimwanderer

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
You can get stuck in the waiting for the next thing mindset and never buy.

it was thinking like this that is going to leave me stuck with a 15 inch MacBook Pro that arrives next week.

With rumors so mixed and nothing from Apple over a week into November, I thought it would be 2020 before we got this upgrade. Now when my new laptop arrives next week it will be a disappointment, not a joy.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
it was thinking like this that is going to leave me stuck with a 15 inch MacBook Pro that arrives next week.

With rumors so mixed and nothing from Apple over a week into November, I thought it would be 2020 before we got this upgrade. Now when my new laptop arrives next week it will be a disappointment, not a joy.
Lol, just return it?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

Return it! Don't live with regret

grimwanderer

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
It is scheduled to deliver on Tuesday. Even if I return it immediately, I assume it will take at least a couple weeks to get the credit for the purchase and be able to order the new model.

i will need to decide if I’m going to live without a computer all at for 2 weeks on a trip to Germany and Austria or just stick with the 15 inch.

(Current computer — 27 inch iMac — isn’t very travel friendly LOL)

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I cant wait for the 2020 MBP either. In 2028 when I can afford a 2020. I just bought a 2012 on eBay pretty excited to get it here and put my mx500 and 16gb of vengenance ram in it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What I find weird about the 16" launch is that the 13" (4 TB3) now seems way overpriced. If you spec it up to 512GB/16GB/i7, it actually costs more than the base 16" despite a worse CPU, much worse GPU, old keyboard, worse speakers, and a smaller screen (not always a downside but Apple historically prices smaller things as cheaper).

Would have thought it would have had a price cut if it wasn't updated yesterday. Would find it hard to recommend when the 2 TB3 model is a fair bit cheaper and the 16" is a fair bit better.

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
What I find weird about the 16" launch is that the 13" (4 TB3) now seems way overpriced. If you spec it up to 512GB/16GB/i7, it actually costs more than the base 16" despite a worse CPU, much worse GPU, old keyboard, worse speakers, and a smaller screen (not always a downside but Apple historically prices smaller things as cheaper).

Would have thought it would have had a price cut if it wasn't updated yesterday. Would find it hard to recommend when the 2 TB3 model is a fair bit cheaper and the 16" is a fair bit better.
Yeah, I think no-one was expecting from Apple to keep the prices the same while also having the base configuration at 512GB SSD. It's clear that Apple wanted to regain some trust (and sales) from the Pro users who are also the ones that are more sensitive to imperfections like the butterfly keyboard of the touch bar. I think this has been a great year for Apple's offerings compared at least to the horrible 2018 where virtually everything got a price increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.